• Published 31st Mar 2015
  • 2,437 Views, 35 Comments

Equestria's Other Monster - james_the_unicorn



Life in Equestria is not just castles and servants. James was a human not raised in a palace, but rather, in the wild. This is his story.

  • ...
7
 35
 2,437

Life In The Everfree Forest

"Angel Bunny, there you are!" Once I heard that voice I leapt away from the white bunny and dove into a bush to the side, so I don't scare the source of the voice. Unfortunately the bunny was trying to follow me, which was bound to give away my hiding place.

"G-Go away! I gave you the berries; now go back to your owner!" I was going to shoo the bunny away, but it was too late, I saw a pair of yellow hooves and a long, pink lock of hair approach the bush, and a voice that sounded like silk chimed from above the hooves.

"Angel, you know the Everfree Forrest is dangerous! We should go home-"

I lost my balance and fell back even more into the bush, causing it to rustle. The voice gasped and stepped back, obviously surprised from my sound.

"U-um... H-hello...? W-Who are you...?" Her voice was shakier than a new born phoenix.

"... No one... You should go home."

"Wh-why are you hiding...?"

"... Because I don't want to scare you... Look, you said it yourself; the forest is a dangerous place."

"Th-then why are you here... If you don't mind my asking...?"

"... Because..." it never really occurred to me why I lived in the forest all this time. I just found a way to survive, and waited to find someone else like me to bring me home. I decided to say the most honest response I could; "Because I don't know where else to go..."

"You could always spend some time in Ponyville-"

"I can't go to Ponyville!"

"Wh-why not?"

"I can't bring myself to scare all those ponies."

"Nonsense, you just need some confidence, it all!" She stepped forward and went to poke her head in, but she was stopped by my hand.

"NO! Please, don't! I'm a monster, don't look at me!"

She went to move her muzzle around my hand but my fingers caught below her ear, and she snapped her eyes shut in pure bliss. Did I just scratch her favorite spot? She rubbed her head against my hand and fingers, trying to get more, so I kindly responded by gently rubbing and scratching that spot below her ears, trying not to cut her with my jagged and grown-out finger nails.

"Now, how could a 'monster' give such a good ear scratch like this-?" She turned her head and opened her eyes to see me, and gasped, jumping back a little in fear.

*****

I was gathering food from plants in the forest, just like any other day. The morning was bright and a little hot, causing me to sweat on my already ruined t-shirt. I would have given anything to get someone to make me a new set of clothes, but I was all alone, out here... Well, I take that back, I was not the only one here. Occasionally, I met a little pony or two, walking through the forest, but when I tried to approach them, they would see me, flick their ears back in fear and run off shouting out 'MONSTER!' It was sad to see these creatures get so scared by me. It just broke my heart that I was giving them such a fright, so I started hiding if I ever came across one. What was strange was that I never saw another human walk through this forest, and I lived there for a couple of years, I think... unless the seasons change differently around here or something. But I had no reason to complain, I survived this long, so any civilization would just be a luxury to me. So I finally got my food together, consisting of a pocket full of berries and an apple. It was not a feast fit for royalty, that would be my lucky day when I come across some timber wolves that were about to dine on their hunt, but it was enough to nourish me.

I was tall, and my build was wide and I had some muscle on myself, but I was a little skinny because of my rationing food. It was a decent life to live out here, but I always wondered what was beyond the comfort of the forest. I even decided to take a look down the path recently, and I saw a town, but it was a town full of more ponies. If I walked down there, I would just scare them all to death, and I couldn't bring myself to do that to them. I sat down beside a cave and sunk my teeth into the apple, sour, obviously it was not ripe, but it would have to do. As I ate, I started to think over my old question that still haunted me, and probably is bugging all of you as you read this; 'What am I doing here?'

Unfortunately, I could never figure out the answer to that question. the only thing I remembered was waking up to a bright moonlight with the sound of owls and crickets in the distance. Looking to my left, I saw a blade, and to my right, a bag of food and a medicines. Was I just dropped off? Was I on a camping trip? Did I fall into a coma and dream this up? Whatever this was did not matter, because I only had one thing to worry about from that moment on; survive. Starting that next morning, I began using my resources, knowledge, and fast learning to survive the forest's creatures and dangers. The ponies that came by sometimes dropped something they were traveling with, including some small clothing, little trinkets that I was surprised ponies could operate, and once in a blue moon, something helpful would be found on the trail, like food, or a new knife that could replace my old, dull one. What always amazed me, however, was the fact that these all somehow aided in my survival, and none of the ponies doubled back to reclaim their lost items. though, I didn't blame them, the forest was a little too dangerous for them to linger in. The nights in the forest were a beautiful sight to see. Fireflies danced by my legs, timber wolves howled in the distance, and the moon always lit my way. I adored the moonlight, and did my best to indulge in it every night, before I would go to sleep. the moon always provided me with a feeling of security, but I never understood why. I felt as though it watched over me every night so nothing would harm me in my sleep, but I knew that would be insanity. The moon couldn't protect me... But something always did. Something that I never could see.

Weeks passed after that first awakening and I began to adapt to life in the forest. I learned about the safe foods to eat, I gained the strength and stamina to outrun and outfight the animals that tried to make m their dinner, and I made myself a makeshift house; a hollow pile of sticks and mud. However, that was washed away after the first storm, so I decided that I would just make do with the trees. Over time my clothes became tattered and my arms and legs became covered with scars, but I kept my sanity together and was able to make it this many years. Until that day, when I met her. The pegasus that would save me from this two-year nightmare.

I finished my apple and tossed the core away from the path, then looked down and reached into my pocket to grab the berries, when I saw to my left that a bunny was staring at me. It watched me pull the berries out with focused eyes, and I figured out that it wanted my food. I thought over it, then placed the berries on the ground next to me. "Go on, eat up, I'm full, anyway." As the bunny hopped up and started eating, I heard some hoof falls approaching, and I stood up, walking away from the bunny.

*****

One second, I was just eating my breakfast, and fed some to a passing bunny. The next, I was stuck in a bush, about to be seen by another pony. It was probably the most eventful morning I've had in months, but I didn't want to strike fear into another pony.

"U-um... H-hello...? W-Who are you...?"

"... No one... You should go home." Yeah, that was a genius move. If it were a timber wolf, you'd be dead by now, use your brain, you idiot!

"Wh-why are you hiding...?"

"... Because I don't want to scare you... Look, you said it yourself; the forest is a dangerous place." I know I learned that part first hand. And if she stuck around something actually dangerous would probably get to her.

"Th-then why are you here... If you don't mind my asking...?"

"... Because... Because I don't know where else to go..."

"You could always spend some time in Ponyville-"

While going into civilization was my dream for years, I knew the correct answer was; "I can't go to Ponyville!"

"Wh-why not?"

"I can't bring myself to scare all those ponies."

"Nonsense, you just need some confidence, it all!" She stepped forward and went to poke her head in, but she was stopped by my hand.

"NO! Please, don't! I'm a monster, don't look at me!"

What went from me trying to keep her from seeing me turned into almost an hour of ear scratching. The pegasus had the time of her life, feeling my five digits grooming her fur and scratching her ear. And, I admit, I enjoyed seeing the pony smile, even after seeing me. It warmed my heart, and I felt happy. For the first time in two godforsaken years of surviving the forest, I was happy! But I soon realized that she was a sitting duck out here in the forest, so I had to send her off, posthaste.

"Is that enough...?"

She opened her eyes, and nodded gently, before backing up and blushing. "Y-yes, th-thank you..."

I wondered if she was lying and wanted more ear-scratching, but that was not important. "Now, please, go home before something happens. I don't want to see you get hurt." I soon got some distance from the two and stopped at a nearby pond, then splashed my face with water, before staring into my reflection. I didn't scare her...

How was that possible...?

Maybe I wasn't a monster after all...?

Author's Note:

This is a story based off of "The Monster of Canterlot" and the author has given me permission to write this sequel to his story.
I encourage you all to read the original story!