• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 9,636 Views, 774 Comments

Warframe: Equestria - Urimas Ebonheart



Karn, is one of the oldest Tenno to still live. But is betrayed by one of the newer Tenno, Greavus. His ship was damaged during his chase for Greavus, but ended up crash landing on Equestria.

  • ...
35
 774
 9,636

Chapter 8: Construction Begins

Warframe: Equestria
Chapter 8: Construction Begins

POV: Karn / Location: Equus - Ponyville - Inside the Orbiter

"Okay, now we have to decide what kind of Warframe fits you, while you can use any frame there are some that fit your personality or style more. I prefer my Rhino or Valkyr frames, sometimes the Atlas as well due to their physical attributes. I take it from your fascination with my Archwings that you like flying?" I ask her.

"Hay yeah! I love flying! I'm the fastest pegasus in Equestria!" she says with pride.

"Oh really? Well then, Ordis! Take us to the open field where we'll build the Dojo," I order him.

"Who are you talki..." she says but gets interrupted.

"Yes, Operator," Ordis replies as we take off.

"GAH! Who said that!?" she yells out in surprise and looks around for the source.

"I did, Miss Dash," Ordis replies to her.

"Where are you?" she demands.

"Rainbow, Ordis is the Orbiter," I tell her.

"What's a Orbiter?" she asks.

"It's the ship we're currently on," I reply.

"You mean the ship is alive?" she says looking around.

"Yes I am, It is a pleasure to meet you," Ordis tells her.

"Erm, yeah, same here, hehe," she says with a sheepish smile.

The Orbiter shakes a little as we land at our destination. "Okay, now you'll show me how fast you can fly. I have a feeling I know what kind of frame will suit you already," I tell her.

She grins. "Sweet!"

The door opens and we step out, Nightshade decides he wants to stay inside and nap the day away. "Show me what you got," I tell her.

I don't think her smile could get any wider.

POV: Celestia / Location: Equus - Canterlot Castle

"That plot of land is under my family's name and you have the gall to build a stone wall over it!" the tan earth pony farmer yells at a dark blue unicorn.

"But have you forgotten that your family owes us for that loan we gave you a year ago, which by the way, you haven't paid back a single bit yet!" the unicorn retorts.

I have been listening to these two bicker at each other for the last ten minutes now, sometimes I wonder why I even get up in the morning anymore.

My thoughts are interrupted by a letter appearing in front of me. I smile as I take it with a levitation spell and read it, my smile fades at what is written.

Dear Princess Celestia.

I'm writing to inform you that the biped who's name we discovered is Karn, has done something to Rainbow Dash.

He showed us a recording of a fight he had with five sick looking manticores, Dash got injured by one of them when she got hit by its stinger, then Karn brought her into his ship and injected her with something. She's now considered just like him, one of these Tenno.

She can also now speak to Karn in his own language! Please come to Ponyville as soon as you're able, I don't know what to do.

Your faithful student.

Twilight Sparkle.

I frown as I re-read the letter, I then look to the two squabbling ponies. "I'm afraid something important has just come to my attention, we can discuss this tomorrow at the same time," I tell them as kindly as possible.

They glare at each other but nodded.

"Thank you," I say and head towards Luna's chambers.

I arrive at her large crescent moon adorned doors and knock on the doors and await a reply.

"Come in!" I hear Luna shout.

I open the door and step inside. "Lulu, it's me," I call out to her.

"Tia!? We art in the restroom!" she replies.

I stand by her bathroom door. "There's been an incident at Ponyville involving our guest," I tell her.

"And what would this incident be?" she asks.

"Come out and read it for yourself," I reply.

I hear her put something down onto a cabinet, she then opens the door with her magic and pokes her head out.

"Well let's see it then," she says.

I give her the letter and she reads it, she frowns and looks back to me. "What are we going to do about it, Tia?" she asks.

"We're going to go and see what has happened, we can ask Rainbow Dash to translate for us if what Twilight has written is true," I reply.

"Then let us be on our way then!" she says.

Our horns glow and we teleport to Ponyville.

POV: Karn / Location: Equus - Equestria Plains

Rainbow Dash spreads her wings and jumps into the air with a strong flap.

"WHOA!" she yells as she's catapulted into the air.

Huh, that's pretty impressive, she took off almost as fast as my Archwings. She flies right through the clouds and as soon as she passes them she broke the sound barrier and a shockwave of rainbow colours spreads out, not bad.

She flies down towards the ground with a rainbow trial following behind her, five seconds later she lands besides me, panting with adrenaline.

"That. Was. Bucking. AWESOME! I'm so much faster now!" she yells in excitement.

"Good for you, I'm now positive about what frame you'd be good with," I say.

"And what's that?" she asks.

"The Zephyr. A female based frame that's fast and agile, designed to move through the air as if she had wings. She can control air currents to increase her speed, use them to deflect projectiles, dive bomb targets without injuring herself, launch a blade of air to slice targets in two which can either explode, sending enemies flying away, or implode to pull them to the point of impact, and she can create three tornadoes," I tell her.

Her eyes widen with glee. "YES! I want that one!" she all but shouts it out, making me chuckle.

"Okay then, let's go back into the Orbiter, we need to see if you ponies can do a transference," I tell her.

"Cool, so how do I do it?" she asks as we walk back inside.

We arrive back in my chamber and I put my Rhino Warframe back in its pod, I lower it down and raise the Zephyr.

I then open my eyes and stand up off my pod's chair.

"I need you to sit there and close your eyes, then you will feel a pulling sensation to the raised Warframe and your consciousness will be placed inside it," I tell her

"Oooookay," she says and sits down on it like a human. "This feels weird, I don't see how Lyra can keep sitting like this all the time," she says trying to get comfortable.

She closes her eyes and her head slightly dips down, after a minute or two the Zephyr Warframe twitches and the pod opens up.

"Woah!" she yelps and the Warframe falls face first onto the floor.

"Hey, that didn't hurt at all..." she says and gets on her hands and knees. "Okay I take back what I said about the sitting thing, this feels weird!" she tries to stand up like I do but falls on her ass.

I chuckle and use my void powers to lift her up into a standing position and keep hold of her waist so she doesn't fall down again.

"I want you to get used to standing upright, it may take awhile but it shouldn't take long. Try lifting your left leg up and stepping forward," I tell her.

"Alright," she replies and slowly lifts her left leg up. "Oh Celestia this feels so... so... freaky! I can't feel my hock or gaskin and my fetlocks feel strange..." she says and puts her leg down.

"Yes, the new body structure will take awhile to get used to, try moving your fingers now," I tell her.

She lifts up her right hand and looks at the fingers, they slowly twitch and after a few minutes she has them flexing. "Wow, this is kinda cool once you get used to it," she says and goes back to walking again.

"What's with all these things I can see? Weapons... health... shields... a map?" she asks.

"I'll explain that later, it's just the Warframes HUD," I reply.

I smile as I watch her practice, at least the transference worked. After a few more minutes of walking she has the hang of it now and I've let go of her, she still wobbles now and then but it's good so far. "Alright then, step back into the pod and to disconnect, you just have to think about returning to your body," I inform her.

"Sure," she replies and walks back to the pod and stands inside it, the pod closes and the head droops a bit as the pod lowers back down.

Rainbow's eyes open and she blinks a few times. "Holy cow! That was awesome! When can I do that again?" she asks.

I chuckle at her enthusiasm. "Later on today, I need to begin construction of the Dojo now and I'll need my Vauban Warframe to help me build it," I tell her and she gets up.

I sit down and raise the Vauban Frame and connect to it. It has built in tools that will aid in the construction.

I step out of the pod and look at her. "I suggest getting something to eat and then come back in a few hours, I'll have the Dojo started by then. I'll also have to consider making other ponies into Tenno to help fight back the technocyte virus before it spreads too far," I tell her.

"Okay sure, see ya in a few big guy!" she says and we both exit the Orbiter, she then flies off towards the town.

Once she's gone I clap my hands together. "Now to begin construction of the Dojo, Ordis recall the Extractors and equip them with welding tools," I order him.

"Yes, Operator."

POV: Rainbow Dash / Location: Equus - Ponyville

I can't believe I'm a Tenno now, this is actually very exciting! I can't wait to see what the others think! I wonder if I'll also get a set of those... what did he call them? Ache... Arsh... Oh yeah! Archwings! I hope he'll get me a pair as well.

I spot the market below me and land in front of Applejack's cart. "Hey AJ! Got any red delicious left?" I ask her.

She lifts her head out from under her cart. "Ah sure as sugar do, RD. How many... WHAT IN TARNATION!? Rainbow, what in Celestia's name happened to ya!?" she asks looking at me.

"Huh?" I glance down at my chest and forelegs and notice they're just slightly more muscular, even my wings are slightly longer. 'Wow, how didn't I notice that before?' I look back at AJ with a sheepish grin. "I kinda got, infected by some nasty virus from a Manitcore and Karn saved me by injecting me with something and, well... yeah," I tell her.

"Wha? Who in the hay is this Karn fella?" she asks.

"It's the alien's name, he told me since I can also kinda... speak his language as well now," I reply sheepishly.

She just stands there looking like she was just told her orchard was burned down. I then wave my hoof in front of her face. "AJ, you alright?"

POV: Applejack / Location: Equus - Ponyville

I can't believe it, she looks like she could buck apple trees just as good as me and Mac! What in Equestria did that thing do to her? Force feed her steroids?

I even think she grew an inch or two...

POV: Rainbow Dash / Location: Equus - Ponyville

She shakes her head. "Yeah, ah'm fine, but what about you? Are ya feeling okay?" she asks concerned.

"To be honest, I've never felt better!" I say honestly. Sure the pain I went through was unbearable, but the strength and speed I have right now feels awesome! Even the dull ache from that time I broke my wing once is gone!

"Well, If yer sure," she says.

"There she is! I found Dash!" Huh? did I just hear somepony say my name? I look around and spot Twilight with the Princesses heading towards me from the other side of the market. Whoa, how did I mange to hear them from all the way over there?

They run over to me as Twilight starts to breathe heavily from the run.

"There you are, Rainbow Dash! *huff* We were looking for *huff* you and Karn *cough*," Twilight says in between breaths.

The Princesses are staring at me wide eyed. "Rainbow Dash, are you alright?" Princess Celestia asks.

"I'm fine, Princess. Why were you looking for me?" I reply.

They don't answer me, instead they circle me as their horns glow, I shuffle in place starting to feel uneasy.

"It can't be, she's has a new kind of magic inside her... it is faint but it is there," Luna says.

Princess Celestia also looks shocked. "But how? Rainbow Dash, what did Karn do to you?" she asks not angrily but intrigued. Well, Karn didn't say I couldn't tell anypony...

"He, erm, he changed me to be like him, a Tenno. I got infected by a virus and he cured me," I say.

"What is a Tenno?" Luna asks.

I tell them what Karn told me.

"I see, so these Tenno are the protectors of Karn's race then," Celestia says.

"And you decided to join them?" Luna asks.

"Yeah, from what Karn told me, there's a plague like virus called the technocyte spreading in the Everfree Forest. He only changed me to stop it taking over me. Karn said he may need more ponies to become Tenno to even have a chance to fight it," I reply.

"So what are you going to do now?" Celestia asks again.

"Well, Karn told me to get a big lunch because he's going to train me to use a, erm... what was it again? Oh yeah! A Warframe! Which will start in a few hours while he's building his house or wait... horseapples, I can't remember what he called it," I say with a bit too much enthusiasm.

"Warframe?" Luna asks with interest.

"Yeah, you know... his armour!" I say.

"We wonder if he'll let some of our guard become Tenno?" Luna says to herself, barely a whisper. "This way we'll be prepared for war if Gryphonia decides to attack us."

"Luna! Shhhhh, that's supposed to be under wraps!" Celestia whispers back with a stern look.

"War with Gryphonia!?" I shout out shocked.

"What war?" Twilight and Applejack ask with confusion.

The Princesses both look at me with shocked eyes. "How did you hear that? We were barely even whispering!" Luna says with worry.

"Erm, I have good hearing?" I reply with a sheepish smile.

Celestia frowns. "I'll explain later, but please keep that to yourselves. We don't need to cause a panic," she says with a tired sigh. Fortunately the market is practically empty at the moment.

"Okay, Princess. Would you like to join me for lunch? I take it you want to see Karn as well?" I ask them.

"That we do, Rainbow Dash," Luna replies.

"Lunch sounds very good right about now," Celestia replies.

We say our goodbyes to AJ and head over to Sugarcube Corner.

POV: Karn / Location: Equus - Equestria Plains

The Extractors have returned and have begun building the Dojo's entrance, I've also equipped my Soma before they arrived. The floor is about halfway done, I also have quite a few resources in my Warframe's hard-drives and with a welding torch to help with its construction.

I think it was about three hours before Rainbow returned, and she wasn't alone.

"About time you got back," I say as I finish welding one of the panels into the floor.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I kinda ran into the Princesses on the way. They erm, have some questions for ya," she replies.

"Oh? What kind of questions?" I ask looking at the two tall ponies, they look stunned at Rainbow Dash speaking my language with ease.

She looks back to them and speaks in her language, then back to me. "Well, Princess Celestia wants to know what you injected me with,"

"It was an altered version of the virus you were infected with. It augmented your DNA to adapt to it but also boosted your physical abilities as well. Now it'll take a large dose of the virus to even infect you again, so getting small amounts on you wont effect you. It was also infused with a small amount of void energy which is what allows you to connect with a Warframe," I tell her, to which she relays to them.

They speak for a few more seconds before she turns back to me. "Ok, Luna wants to know if you'd turn some of her guards into Tenno as well."

"Why?" I ask her.

"To attack Gryphonia should they decide to attack us," she replies.

I frown at the dark blue pony. "Then tell her no, a Tenno is not a tool or weapon to be used for revenge or to push others around whenever she feels like it," I say sternly which makes the dark blue pony flinch at my tone. "If I'm to make more Tenno, then I will decide who becomes one. Another reason I turned you was not only to save you, but you proved yourself by using yourself as a shield for another without regard for your own safety," I say which makes her grin.

I'm guessing the tall white one is Celestia while the dark blue one is Luna from the questions they asked. Rainbow tells them what I've just said I think, if the forlorn expression Luna is showing is any indicator.

Celestia speaks to Rainbow Dash again. "Erm, Celestia wants to know how you plan to fight this virus," she asks.

"Mainly with fire augmented weapons. The technocyte is weak against fire, by both blade and bullet, but with a squad of Tenno we should be able to destroy it as long as it doesn't spread too far. It takes awhile for it to expand but once it does its a pain to remove, so I believe we have at least three months before it'll reach here," I tell her.

She tells the Princesses but gets interrupted by a scream coming from the forest's edge. "Hey, that's Zecora!" Rainbow says pointing towards the forest.

I look to see a striped pony running towards us with what looks like twenty kubrows made of wood chasing her, they're also covered with the Virus.

"EVERYONE GET BACK NOW!" I shout back at the others, Dash tells them that and they back away. I then draw my Soma and take aim.

I throw four Tesla nervos rollers down which quickly roll off towards the wooden infected beasts which start electrocuting them, slowing them down. I then fire five shots each at ten of the creatures, the thermal tips splintering and igniting the wood they are made of making them scream out with a disturbing shriek.

Seven get really close as the striped pony runs past and I throw down a Vortex Device which creates a magnetic and gravitational field, pulling the infected creatures towards it and crushing them by the gravitational force on them.

Once those seven and the others are crushed together, the vortex dies down, letting the remains drop to the ground. I collect the Tesla rollers and the other devices and re-store them in my warframe's hard-drive.

POV: Luna / Location: Equus - Equestria Plains

Well, I now finally know what that other weapon of his does, for something so strange looking its very lethal, and those devices! What kind of magic were they using!? It is as Twilight said, its energy feels cold and empty.

POV: Karn / Location: Equus - Equestria Plains

I quickly pile up the corpses and burn them. I then turn to the group and walk over to the striped pony, I scan her body and fortunately she's not infected.

Giving off a sigh of relief I turn to Rainbow. "Can you ask her what she was doing in there?"

"Erm, she lives in there. She just told us she was gathering ingredients when those Timberwolves attacked her," she replies.

"Then tell her she can't go back in there, also we need to get you trained ASAP. I think we have less time then I thought. If you know anyone else who would make good Tenno then tell me, because we're running out of time," I tell her. 'I'm going to have to quickly build more transference pods as I can't exactly share mine...' I think to myself as I calculate how long that will take and what I'll need.

"Well, I think my friends would be good choices since we're the Elements of Harmony," she says.

"The Elements of Harmony? What are they?" I ask.

"Erm, Twilight or the Princesses can explain it better. OH! Do you remember the things Celestia showed you when we first met?" she asks.

I nodded. "Yes, what about it?"

"Remember the images of the Princesses fighting against that cruel mismatched creature?"

"Yes," I reply.

"Did you see those six floating crystals around the Princesses?"

"Yes, I take it those are the Elements of Harmony?" I ask her.

"Uh-huh, I represent the Element of Loyalty," she says with pride. "The others are Kindness, Laughter, Honesty, Generosity, and Magic."

Well that certainly is strange, virtues made manifested, but if it's true, then they would be good candidates. Question is can they and will they be able to fight, and to kill if need be.

"We'll ask them if they want to, but also tell them of the consequences of being a Tenno," I tell her. "for now we need to get started on your training."

I presume Rainbow Dash is telling the others what is going on as they nodded to her. "The Princesses would like to see how I'm going to use your armour," Rainbow says.

"No, we Tenno keep how our frames are operated and function a secret so others can't find weak spots or replicate it themselves. If they ask you how it is done, you are not to tell them. Understood?" I tell her, to which she nodded and told the others what I just said.

The others look hurt that I don't trust them enough to watch the linking process, but after what Luna wanted the Warframes for, I can't risk it.

I lead Rainbow back inside the Orbiter and close the door. "Alright then, let's head back to the transference room and get you back into the Zephyr," I tell her.

After a few minutes, I'm back in my body and Rainbow is in the Zephyr again. I've disabled her abilities for now, she only needs to train her movement and balance today.

"Alright then, let's head outside and we'll begin," I tell her and use my void powers to hover a couple of inches off the floor and head back up to the front.

"Hey! How did you do that?" she asks as she clumsily follows me.

I turn back to her while still heading towards the front. "It is my void power. When I was just a child, I was lost in a place called the void with others my age on a ship named the Zariman. The other children and I were bathed in the energy and when we were found days later, our parents and the other adults died from the void energy. The energy started to go out of control when we left the void, so the Orokin developed the Warframes which regulate our energy and allow us to utilise our power," I reply.

"Whoa... So you got super powers from that stuff?" she asks and falls on her face again. "Buck!" she yells out in frustration.

I smile and lift her up again. "In a sense, but these powers will kill me if I don't pay attention," I reply. I stop at the armoury and get my Bo Staff out.

We walk back out and survey the area; no signs of other infected, good. The others gasp when they see me and the Zephyr Warframe next to me.

They start asking questions it seems as Rainbow talks back to them which silences them quickly for a few seconds before they start chatting again. I sigh and roll my eyes and look up at Rainbow.

"So for now, I just want you to move around and get used to two legs and fingers. I'll be overseeing the construction of the Dojo for now and get your own transference chamber made," I tell her.

"Okay, so basicly walk around, easy enough," she replies.

I hold the Bo Staff out to her. "Use this to practice gripping things with your hands," I tell her and she takes it with both hands.

"Cool, so should I swing this around?" she asks and looks the staff over.

"If you want to, just make sure no one is around you if you do. Ordis will keep an eye on you while I'm overseeing the Dojo," I explain and she walks off to a clearing near the Orbiter and giggles as she swings the staff around... only to fall on her face again.

With a chuckle, I head over to the construction site where the floor is completed and watch as the Extractors slowly start building the door ways.

POV: Rainbow Dash / Location: Equus - Equestria Plains

After Karn left, I get back up and continue to swing this metal stick about, having fingers is soooo freaky yet much better than hooves any day!.. I can kinda see why Lyra wishes she had them, oh man is she gonna be jealous, though the lack of my wings is unnerving. The others are watching me from a distance after I told them to sit back.

My thoughts then drift to Karn, he's been so nice to me, he even saved my life. So why do I feel like my stomach wants to leap out of my throat whenever he's near me?

I then shake my head to clear it. "Ordis, how long have you known Karn?" I ask him. I hope I'm not just talking to myself like an idiot.

"I have known the Operator for seven-hundred and fifty-one years," he replies inside my head, creepy.

Wha? He's that old? but he looks no older than a colt... I don't know why but I can feel my cheeks heat up. "Does he have a fillyfriend?" I ask.

"I am sorry, Miss Dash, but what is a fillyfriend?" he asks back.

"Errrr, it's somepony a stallion has feelings for and who returns those feelings," I tell him, my cheeks feeling hotter.

"You mean like a lover or mate?" he asks.

"Yeah," I quietly reply.

"Then no, he does not have a fillyfriend... why do you want to know?" he asks.

"N-No reason, I w-was just wondering," I stutter my reply and then accidentally bash myself in the head with the metal stick. Thank Luna that I don't feel any pain in this armour.


The next few hours are silent apart form the occasional question from Twilight, like what it's like as a biped. Karn then returns and checks up on me. "How're you doing?" he asks.

"Okay I guess, I don't feel like I'm going to fall on my face anymore," I reply.

"Good, I'll need to fabricate you a Transference Suit, it'll help focus your new void energy into the Warframe where you can access their abilities and make the link stronger. Though you don't have enough to use the powers I possess unless you bathed in void energy like I did, which could kill you," he says.

"Yeah, as cool as those powers sound, I like living more," I reply and look down at my new body. I don't feel tired or sore at all, it's like I can do this for days...

"Well then, that'll be all for now, I need to get my Vauban back out to get the Dojo up and running as soon as possible," he tells me.

"Alright, so what shall I do in the meantime?" I ask him.

We head back inside where I get back into my body, I shake my head from the odd feeling of being pulled out and back in.

Karn gets his armour back out and we head back outside. "Come back after seven and I'll see how well you handle a pair of Archwings," he tells me.

I gasp and do a loop in the air. "Hay yeah! See ya then!" I reply and fly over to Twilight. The Princesses have already left back for Canterlot an hour ago once they were satisfied I was fine.

"So what's happening now?" Twilight asks.

"I'm going to have dinner and rest a bit before he'll teach me how to use those Archwings!" I reply with excitement.

Twilight frowns and looks at me. "What made you decide to be a Tenno and do all this?" she asks me.

I look at her few a few seconds before answering. "To make sure my friends and home stay safe," I reply.

That makes her smile as she looks to the floor. "But what if you get hurt? I mean I have so many question on how you were moving that armour," she says.

I smile at her. "You know I can't tell you, Karn said only Tenno are allowed to know... I can tell you that I can't get hurt using it though," I reply with a smirk. "Twilight, after this is done, I need to talk to you and the others," I tell her as my smirk fades.

"About what?" she asks.

"Karn says with the rate that the virus is spreading it'll be here soon, he wants to make more ponies into Tenno to fight back, but only those he can trust. I suggested that the Elements of Harmony would be a good choice," I tell her.

"You want us to be Tenno as well!?" she asks with shock.

"You don't have to, but I thought we would make a great team after everything we've already been though," I reply.

She looks conflicted. "I... I'll have to think about it... I mean, I'm not a warrior or a soldier! And poor Fluttershy couldn't even hurt a fly!" she says.

"I know, but maybe he has other Warframes that can do other things? The one I used can apparently control air currents," I tell her.

"You'll be able to control air currents!?" Now she looks interested.

"Yeah once he tells me how, he might have others that can do something else. I remember seeing one from his recordings that can control fire," I tell her.

She frowns and looks towards Karn's ship. "I really want to know more about this, but I'm not sure about being one of them. I'll think about it in the morning, it's pretty late now. I'd better get going, Spike's probably wondering where I am," Twi says.

"Okay, it'll all be fine, Twilight. You'll see," I tell her.

"I hope so," she says and then smirks at me. "Try not to have too much fun," she teases me and walks off back to Ponyville.

I head back home after waving goodbye to Karn and get myself something to eat.

Four hours pass of just lazing about my home before I return to Karn. "So, you ready to learn how to really fly?" he asks me.

I glare at him but I couldn't keep the smirk off my face.

"Let's do this," I reply.

We once again switch over and he explains the functions of the HUD.

In the top left of my vision is what looks like a map showing the inside of the ship. To the top right is a couple of bars, one red meaning the condition of the Warframe and the other blue meaning how much shielding I have left. To the Bottom right is equipment details and abilities which say empty or locked and to the bottom left is what looks like text in Orokin saying 'Systems check complete, Warframe Zephyr online'.

We're standing outside with what he called Odonata wings attached to my lower back.

"Now, Rainbow, remember these aren't like your wings, you don't need to flap them to fly nor do you need any air currents to glide on," he tells me.

"Then how do they work?" I ask.

"When folded up they'll turn off, you can then lock them in place with a thought. When outstretched they'll turn on, you just need to think of the direction you want to go and the anti-grav engines in the wings will respond to it," he tells me. "So, shall we give them a test run?" he says.

"Buck yeah!" I say excited. I never thought I'd be learning how to fly again.

He chuckles and looks at me while hovering in the air at eye level. "Spread your wings and you'll see a levelling reticle show up on your visor," he tells me.

I do as he says and see these lines appear in front of me. I think about hovering above the grass and the Archwings react. I'm lifted up quickly and stop about a metre off the ground, a gentle humming sound coming from my new metal wings. Two of the lines start to drift apart with numbers telling me how far off the ground I am.

"Whoa! This is awesome!" I say and think about going higher.

POV: Karn / Location: Equus - Above the Equestrian Plains Inside the Orbiter

For the next ten or so minutes, Rainbow slowly rises into the air and moves from side to side, forward and back, up, down and turning in place as she gets the hang of it, even doing a few cartwheels. I hover up beside her with a smile once she stops moving.

"Not bad, I crashed the first time I tried using these," I tell her.

"How do I go faster?" she asks excitedly.

"Just think like you want to sprint, but in the air. Archwings are like an extension of yourself, a part of you," I reply. "but first let's go higher up."

I get into the Orbiter and we go higher and hover above the clouds. "Okay, now do what I just told you and you'll be flying faster than you've ever done before," I say through the comms as I watch her from the cockpit.

And within less then a second, she blasts forward breaking the sound barrier instantly with two red energy trails following behind her wings.

All I hear is her yelling off into the distance. "YYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH!"