• Published 2nd Feb 2015
  • 17,667 Views, 1,174 Comments

Clueless in Equestria - David Silver



A middle aged human ends up in Equestria dropped in the middle of nowhere. He wanders into town and quickly discovers pony folk are kind folk. Maybe there's a life to be made here.

  • ...
73
 1,174
 17,667

9 - Arrival in Manehattan

The train arrived in the late hours of the day. It came to a smooth halt in the much larger terminal. The conductor pony went down the train, swinging the doors open for ponies to depart out onto the platform. Rough Draft and David took their leave into the bustle. Much like the New York City David had visited several times, the ponies here didn't seem to have much time for him in their busy schedules and paid them little mind as they made their way towards the street.

He heard the sound of a trumpet being played by a homeless looking pony with a hat in front of him. David had no bits to offer, but gave Rough a soft nudge. Rough looked where David was hinting towards and sent a bit flying over with a toss to land in the hat. The vagrant gave a thankful nod as they moved past.

"Generosity~" came the voice of somepony singing not that far away.

David whipped his head to the left to see the purple and green scales of a retreating Spike. "Ah shit. That's where we are."

"Manehattan," said Rough Draft, sounding confused as he said it.

"No, I mean when we are. Season four, early in," explained David to his friend's growing concern. "I'll explain when we get to where we're going. I'm not even sure it'll line up perfectly anyway. I do know if we ran fast enough, we could meet Twilight Sparkle and her friends."

Rough shook his head. "Stalk an Element of Harmony? I'd rather not go to jail today if you don't mind." He smiled up at David, "I hope you feel the same way."

"Yea," said David, "Like I said, I don't get worked up over celebrities. I wouldn't mind meeting them, but I'm not going to go running through the city after them. Rarity's already going to be late for her show as it is."

Rough slowly blinked, "OK, that's enough subtle hints. Let's get to our room and then you're not leaving until you explain it to me, or Celestia help me, I will pin you down and, I don't know, tickle you until you squeal."

David held up a hand quickly, "I'm ticklish. I give up already."

Rough stuck out his tongue, "No fun at all." He then thrust out a hoof, "Taxi!" Soon enough a carriage came to a rolling stop in front of them and they climbed aboard. "Take us to the Mane Fair hotel."

"Huh, I... think that's where they're going to stay," said David with uncertainty.

As the taxi lurched into movement, the earth pony hauling it quickly through the traffic, Rough Draft asked, "Who? Wait, save the explanations for later. Right now, you're in Manehattan, take in the sights a little."

David peeked out the side to see the towering buildings move past. They didn't seem to go up as high as the monolithic structures he had seen back on Earth, but they were impressive enough, especially compared to normal pony buildings. The sidewalks teemed with countless ponies of all three tribes, including a few bat ponies, or was that thestral, or lunar pegasus? The large city drew in all kinds it seemed, from the fantastically well dressed to the impoverished, though David did wonder why they would stay here when they could likely have an easier time in a small town like Ponyville.

"Rough?"

Rough looked up with a "Hmm, what's up?"

"What are the pegasi with bat wings called?" he asked.

"Anything but bat ponies," replied Rough Draft. "They hate that. Don't ask me why, I'm not a pegasus."

"Fair enough," David replied with a shrug, "Do crystal ponies visit?"

Rough Draft peered at his oddly informed guest, "Sometimes, not often. It's a long trip from the Crystal Empire. Why, you wanted to meet one?"

"Couldn't hurt," said David, "But no special desire." He reached over and patted Rough Draft on the head, getting a snort of amusement from the hauler of the wagon.

The stallion pulling the cart didn't speak on the odd behavior, simply pulling up in front of the hotel, "That'll be three bits." Rough gave him five and they were soon entering the building, just in time for a pony with a rack full of clothing to burst out and go running down the road. They pressed past him to see Twilight Sparkle speaking with the front desk pony.

"Thank you, this will mean so much for Rarity," she said.

David spoke frankly, "Yep, there she is."

Rough Draft took it less well, moving to hide behind a large potted plant and waved for David to join him. Seeing a chance to at least say hello to Book Horse, David instead strode forward. "Hello there. Busy?"

Twilight looked up at the strange creature approaching her and tilted her head, "Uh, no. I've taken care of things for now. How can I help you?"

David patted himself on the chest, "I'm David, David Silver, nice to meet you. I've been a fan of your work for a while now and just thought I'd say hello."

Twilight blushed brightly, "Oh! Well, I didn't know I had fans of other races." She offered a hoof, "Nice to meet you, David." David met the hoof in a light bump against his fist, "Are you staying here as well?"

"Yea," David replied, "I came with a friend to see a convention and take in the sights."

Twilight broke into a soft laughter, "You too? Well, not a convention per se, more of a fashion thing, but I'm here for a friend too."

Rough Draft peeked his head out from his hiding spot, then approached the two timidly, "I hope David's not bothering, Your Highness."

Twilight waved a wing dismissively, "He hasn't done anything wrong. And you are?"

"Rough Draft, Your Majesty," said Rough, almost shaking in place.

David spoke up for him, "He's just a little nervous. He's a fan of your work too."

"Well," said Twilight, "I seem to have that effect on a lot of ponies, unless they're taxi drivers. It was nice meeting you two." With a last smile, she turned and walked to the elevators.

When she was safely out of sight, Rough looked at David, "You're insane! She's the Twilight Sparkle!"

"And?" asked David, "She didn't turn us into frogs. She just wants to be treated like a pony, like anyo-pony else."

"Yeah..." said Rough, not sounding convinced. He moved up to the counter and smiled at the mare behind it. "I have a room reserved, should be under Rough Draft." She passed him a golden key and wished him a pleasant stay. Key in mouth, Rough approached the elevator where Twilight had stood moments before. David kept up with him, helpfully pressing the button to call the next elevator.

It came as a subtle surprise to see that the elevator was larger than he was used to, but, as he thought about it, it made sense. Ponies were longer creatures, so they'd need more space in an elevator to be comfortable length wise, but the ceiling was lower. Instead he was the odd man out, having to crouch a little to fit properly. The trip wasn't long, thankfully, the doors opened to allow them out onto their floor. They walked along the plush carpeted floor until they arrived at the right door. Rough pushed the key in and twisted his head, unlocking it. David took hold of the handle without prompting and the finely appointed room was revealed. There was a single king sized bed within.

"Huh, they didn't offer two twins?" asked David as he looked at it.

"Ah, dang. I didn't even think about it," confessed Rough, "I always get the one big one. I can ask if we can switch rooms." He started to move for the phone but David stopped him with a hand in front of Rough's nose.

"It's alright. Don't want to be a big bother." Rough started to object when David's fingers curled and brushed against the sensitive nose, making Rough Draft laugh and sneeze almost at once.

Giving up on reaching the phone, Rough turned around and closed the door, using his key to relock it. "Well fine then, but you better not hog the blanket."

David had found a seat on the edge of the bed, admiring its softness. It seemed the ponies really liked a soft bed, despite the fact that it looked like it should be much firmer. His considerations were paused when Rough Draft leaped up against his chest and knocked him backwards onto the bed. The weight of the earth pony settled on him, "Alright, now I want answers and I'm not taking 'no' or 'later'. How do you know so much about everything? Is this the world you made up?"

David laughed as he reached up to pet along Rough Draft's sides like an overeager dog instead of a curious pony, "Alright, I'll give. Again, this will sound crazy, but hey, your 'creation' is bunking with you, we're past the insane mark anyway." Rough Draft nodded a little in agreement, watching David. "Alright, well, in my world, your world's a work of fiction. Not by me, but by a team of writers that wanted to promote toy sales."

"Toy sales?" asked Rough, tilting his head.

David poked the stallion on his nose before starting the scratch under his chin, "Admit it or not, you ponies are adorable. Toys are very popular, and the story they made was compelling enough to draw a lot of attention from a wide spectrum of ages and backgrounds. Even military sorts might have one hiding around somewhere."

Rough half closed his eyes. Damn human fingers, why did they have to feel so good? "Alright, so... You read about Equestria, and Twilight Sparkle, and everything? Was I in it?"

"Sorry," reported David, "I made you, and I didn't make the rest, so no. It was mostly about the Elements of Harmony and the trouble they got into. We're not that far off from where the fiction ends, however, so I won't know what happens after that, not being there to watch the next."

"Watch?" asked Rough, tilting his head a little, "Was it a play? I thought it was a book."

"It's a fancy human play," said David, sparing the explanation of what a television might be. "But if things are still going according to plan, Rarity's going to have a fight with the others, but they'll make up in not too long, so it all works out. And they get to see Hinny in the Hills."

"Now that is a play I know. Never saw it myself though." Rough Draft stretched out on top of David, "Know anything else, like some lottery numbers?"

"Afraid not, but I do know... again, assuming everything is still going according to plan, that some great huge centaur is going to make everypony have a sad day when he steals their magic, even the earth ponies."

Rough raised a brow, "That have a happy ending too?"

"It's solved with rainbows," said David, "It always is."

"Yeah..." said Rough, not nearly as confident in the day saving abilities of rainbows.

Author's Note:

A wild Twilight appears! David used Flatter! It was very effective.

Our heroes have arrived in the big city, and a hint is received as to when in the MLP timeline they happen to be.