• Published 29th May 2015
  • 374 Views, 4 Comments

The Origin Of Celestia and Luna - cupcakesandrarity



Ever since ponies can remember, two benevolent alicorns have watched over them and ruled them. But how did those alicorns get there? And what hardships did they endure?

  • ...
10
 4
 374

A Royal Chat

Twilight sat uncomfortably at the small wooden table, on a pillow, sipping her herbal tea. She looked around the royal library nervously. She rocked back and forth and bit her lip. Today was the day. Tea with the princess, alone, in the library that she had always played with Celestia in as a filly. If there was ever a time to ask, it was now. So, she mustered up her courage, and, in a shaky, voice called out.

"Princess?"

"Hold on, Twilight! I've almost got it!"

The princess's voice called out from a far part of the library. The princess was practically buried in a pile of books, looking through them. "That's odd," Celestia murmured. "I could have sworn that I had the Encyclopedia Griffinicana around here somewhere."

Twilight stopped biting her lip for just enough time to get the words out. "It's not that! It's just- I just- Well, um..." Twilight trailed off after a series of stutters.

Celestia gave Twilight an odd look. "What is it, Twilight? You know that you can ask me anything, right? So out with it, dear, don't be afraid!" The princess gave Twilight a warm and encouraging smile.

Twilight took a deep breath and forced herself to calm down Calm, Twilight. You can do this. Just ask her. She can't be offended, and it wouldn't hurt to ask. Right? Right. You are her student, and she loves you. Yeah. You've got this. "Well, Princess, what I've been meaning to ask you is, um, well, not to intrude on your privacy or anything..."

"Yes, Twilight?" responded Celestia, with seemingly abundant patience. Must be from being a princess thought Twilight quietly. But that doesn't matter right now.

"Well for a long time now I've just had to wonder- where did you and Luna come from?! Like, you're ALICORN PRINCESSES! Did you have a mother and father? Who were they?!" Twilight blurted it all out in a split second, then flinched. Celestia's eyes widened. "Well, that was... Unexpected." said Celestia, in shock.

She's gonna kill me! I never should have asked! I'm doomed! She'll send me to the moon! Twilight, still flinching, dared to open one eye and peek out at her mentor, who, other than being shocked, looked perfectly fine.

Celestia looked at her frightened student and smiled her warm smile, melting Twilight's fears. "My dearest Twilight, there is no need to be afraid. You asked a question, out of curiosity. That's a good thing, representing your wish to learn."

Twilight stared at her teacher with a look of relief mixed with wonder. "So... you aren't mad? You're not going to send me to the moon? Or lock me in the dungeon? Or send me back to... MAGIC KINDERGARTEN?!" At the words "magic kindergarten," Twilight shuddered and flinched back again.

Celestia looked at her student for a moment, then let out a hearty yet elegant laugh. "Oh Twilight. I'm not going to do any of those things! You, of all ponies, should know that! In fact, I believe a description of my childhood is in order." Celestia, by this point had stopped laughing and had begun to look a little grim. "Yes, I always knew this day was coming. I had not expected it to come so soon..." Celestia paused and looked at Twilight with pride clearly visible in her eyes. "My, how you've grown, my faithful student. And I've seen all of it. Why, now you're even a princess. I'm just so proud of you..." she trailed off for a few moments, before resuming in a less sentimental tone. "The least I can give you is an explanation of my childhood, if you really wish to know."

Twilight was about to nod her head excitedly and break out in a chorus of yeses, but she paused. What does she mean "If you really wish to know?" Is there something that I may regret learning of? But all learning is good, right? Well, unless it's dark magic- Twilight! You're getting distracted! The princess is waiting for you to make a decision! But what if there's something I will wish I hadn't learned? I just don't-

Twilight's inner dialogue was interrupted by Princess Celestia. "Twilight, I'm not pressuring you to make a split-second decision, you may have all the time you need to decide. I am telling you this, though, some events in my upbringing may change the way you think of me, and even your view on the world. It's up to you whether you wish for that or not, and no one can decide that for you."

Twilight looked into her hero and mentor's eyes. Mesmerizing. Maybe I should wait. I mean, do I really want a different view than I already have on the world? But, Celestia has a different view, and she's considered to be wiser. Well, that and the fact that she's, like, 3,000 years old- No, you've been wondering for weeks, months, years even! Ever since you were a filly! You can't change your mind now, you'll regret it forever! This is your big chance! Take it! You can't go back now! And with that, Twilight knew exactly what she wanted.

"If it's all the same, princess, I really wish to know." Twilight looked sincerely into her mentor's eyes as she spoke, but this time she didn't have to force her voice not to stutter, nor did she question her decision, for her mind was completely made up. She had to know about Celestia and Luna's origins.

Celestia gazed upon her student with admiration. "Very well." She said, her voice was smooth and soothing, washing over Twilight like a wave of relief, and taking away all of her tension. "Meet me here tomorrow morning. We shall begin there. Is that alright with you, my faithful student?" Twilight nodded and smiled. "Okay, then. It's a date!" Celestia leaned down, and hugged her student.

"I hope you will always remember how proud I am of you, and if you ever need anything, please, don't hesitate to ask." Celestia said kindly to Twilight as her student walked out the door to the library.

"Goodbye princess!" called Twilight, looking behind her and waving with her right hoof to Celestia. "I'll see you tomorrow morning!" And with that, the giddy student turned the corner and was gone, leaving Celestia alone in the library.

Author's Note:

Hey there! So, this is my first chapter of my first fanfic! I hope you enjoyed it, and I just wanted to clarify on a few things about this fic. First off, my formatting and grammar may not be perfect, as I'm only really used to typing up essays on word. Any of my creative works were only ever done on paper, and this is my first fanfic ever. Also, this story was largely inspired by this picture. I saw it while looking at some random mlp comics last year, and since then the story has been growing. Now, I've never been a very large contributor to any fandoms, but this story just popped out to me in my head, so I attempted to make some comics of it. Not a good idea. All of my ponies looked like run-over llamas. But, I've always been a fairly good writer, so I figured I'd give this a shot! I just had to share it somewhere! Well, there you go, chapter one of The Origin of Celestia and Luna (I may come up with a better name later...) Bye!
P.S.: THIS IS NOT IN ANY WAY A SHIP OF LUNAxCELESTIA OR TWILESTIA. It may or may not contain Dislestia later on, but I'm still deciding.