• ...
8
 48
 5,475

Sugar

Far away in Ponyville's Sugarcube Corner, a magenta earth pony lay wide awake. In what would have surely shocked her friends, her face was twisted in worry. Not quite sadness- she knew she'd never be able to fully feel that- but Pinkie Pie was quite displeased. She supposed she really oughtn't be upset with herself- it wasn't her choice to be this way, after all- but here she was, awake again and unable to stop hitting herself over all she had done.

Her friends were completely unaware of what she was hiding, but what else did she expect, the way she had led them on- led the whole town on- presenting herself as the most outgoing, engaging pony the world had ever seen?
But the flank doesn't lie and you know your talents.
Pinkie groped around a little, found a lollipop and brought it her mouth. The sweetness rushed over her and she gorged herself on it.

And she was newly employed at the Corner again.


Pinkie Pie stared out the window, looking to where the rock farm was- or at least where she thought it was; she hadn't exactly bothered to remember what way she had taken on her journey to Ponyville. And why should she? That place held nothing but misery, loneliness, disappointment... and the discovery of her true talent. She smiled fondly. Balloons, so many balloons, and three on her flank! Since then she'd been dedicated to making everypony happy.
Except yourself?
Now here she was baking treats and bringing sweet sugary joy to all the world. If only those rock farmers could see her now, they'd witness a filly transformed! No more mournful looks and struggles and wishing for a purpose.
Or even straight manes and honesty.
All that was behind her.

"Pinkie?" It was Mrs. Cake. She turned to face her employee and friend

"Oh. Hey, Mrs. Cake!" She noticed she wasn't wearing her smile and-

Twist your face, Pinkamena, hide your feelings or lack thereof- don't you know laughter is the very best
medicine?

flashed one.

"Well, I know you're on your break, but I was wondering if you could help me with a batch of strawberry cupcakes. The customer wants them rush delivered, so if you could take care of that, too..."

"I'm sure it's just Mr. Shears again. You know that stallion can eat!" She giggled, not sounding forced-

Because practice makes perfect and you practice, yes you do.

in the slightest. "Of course I'll help you!"

Cup smiled meekly, and Pinkie cheered inside. "O-okay. And Pinkie?"

"Hm?"

"Could you... try using less sugar this time?"


No, the flank didn't lie, she knew that much. She threw parties and brought joy but did that really mean she had to be so wild and random?
All part of the job- reserved ponies make the worst hosts.
Maybe so, maybe so. But her whole life wasn't a party, was it?
Make it one, then, because we're never going back to the farm.
She whimpered but was muffled. No, not the farm, not the farm. No matter what it held... but had she ever asked herself what it actually held?
Sorrow and sadness and so many rocks so just leave it alone already.
Sure, it hurt her to go back to those days, but hadn't she at least been truer to herself then?
This time, the voice was laced with aggressive sharpness.
You remember the rocks all too well, don't you? You ain't going nowheres, chump...
She frowned, her face cracked- and now she was quite convinced no good would ever come from those memories, not when they had the power to turn her against her friends.

Satisfied with herself, the quarrels stopped and she let the graceful moonlight take her away, rhythmically lapping at the sweet in her mouth all the while.