• Published 29th Jan 2015
  • 1,898 Views, 37 Comments

Closet Pony - DouglasTrotter

  • ...
8
 37
 1,898

January 15th

>>>Date: January 15th<<<

"What is this thing?" is all that I could think of at that point. Inside the dark corner of my closet, watery eyes stared back at me. They disappeared, buried into front appendages that could only be described as hooves.

Through the sobs, I heard the creature tell me four little words. "Ah wanna go home."

This day started out ordinary enough. I'm fired, from my first job. Well, I guess that's not ordinary for some. Still, I find it ordinary enough for me. I needed my usual shower to relieve some stress with that bit of news delivered. Life dumps gasoline on you then strikes the match against its sinister toothy grin before flinging the burning stick onto your body, a body which life just beat the crap out of in the middle of a dark alley for giggles.

Fifteen minutes later, who knows how much money flushed down the drain because I liked long hot showers, I put some fresh clothes on. That's when it started.

I heard that soft sobbing from my closet. It had the tone of a child. When I opened the closet door, I found the creature curled up. My hand reached forward, and it spoke. The creature repeated those four little words, over and over again of wanting to go home. I couldn't even tell if the thing understood me. Each time I came closer, it flinched. Perhaps the creature was afraid of me?

Those five minutes were timeless to me. I felt it best to leave the creature alone but left the door to the closet open.

"...."

I had just sat down at my laptop when I heard a door slam shut. The creature was out of my closet. It actually went into my bathroom.

"Ah! Am! Busy!" it said after I knocked on the bathroom door.

It knew what a bathroom was and how to use it.

"That's one well mannered -- let's put a stop to this..." I said to myself.

I shrugged and left the creature alone in the bathroom. A few keystrokes later and, from the results, I determined in a "Captain Obvious" moment that "it" was indeed an equine.

"Perhaps a horse? No, too small to be a horse. Legs... err, I mean it's hooves are similar yet different. A pony maybe?"

The more I skimmed over, the more lost I felt. Still, I did determine it was a pony. One factor, well, several factors struck me as odd. It's height stuck out the most. I found few answers on the websites I combed through. Equine Daily FAQ said the proper measurement of a pony is relative to hands, with a hand being about four inches. The pony came up near my waist, I thought it was my waist at the time. I knew my stature was below average for a typical male, me being five feet six inches, so that meant the pony came to near three or four feet?

"Is it male or female though? A colt perhaps?" I remember muttering.

"Filly," a voice said.

I turned. The pony looked at me then glanced to one side. It wiped away another set of tears. Though I'm no expert in anything beyond being a failure, I remember how red the pony's eyes were. There's no way of telling how long it was in my closet, how long it had been crying. I'm just glad I had enough bat-sense to remember the two of us briefly spoke, so I didn't make a fool of myself trying to communicate with an alien race. The pony understood me. I understood the equine.

"Pardon?" I said.

"Ah said, 'filly.' Ah'm a filly." she said.

So it's female. Ehh, I mean it's a filly. Fillies turn into Mares while Colts turn into Stallions. All ponies are born as foals. At least, that's what the info on the website said.

"You sure you aren't a foal?" I said as I scratched my head. And I ticker her off as I remember watching the filly turn away from me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. It's just... unusual to see a talking pony. A candy colored pony at that."

"Ya ain't somethin' normal yourself. You'd fit right at home in a circus," she said.

Sassy little thing, I had to give her that. The website further said that the top part was a mane while the -- well, duh! I know what a tail looks like. Thanks, ya stupid site.

"Hey, whatcha got there? Let me look." She said to me. Her hooves were actually quite delicate. It didn't feel like she tried to stomp me.
I had to brush her away. I wasn't too proud of what I looked up from time to time, all about "humanity" and our precious inventions.

"O no, this isn't a toy. It's a sophisticated device, meant for --" I said

"Ya sound like Twilight, being all snooty." She said, interrupting me. The pony turned away, giving a "hmph."

This is ridiculous. I mean, there is no way a talking horse can exist. It's impossible. Well, perhaps not impossible to those theoretical scientist types that talk about extra-dimensional universes, entanglements, and what not I can barely understand.

"Ok, ok, let's calm down. I'm just as startled by the situation as you are, umm..."

"..."

What did she mumble. "Sorry, I didn't quite catch that."

"Apple Bloom," she said with a grumble.

Ok, ok, there's no reason to get testy with me. Is it wrong to know a name?

"It's only fair I know yours." Apple Bloom said while she pointed a hoof at me. At least, I guess it was a hoof.

"I uhh, well -- how about some food?" I said, wanting to change the subject. I could hear my stomach growling, but her stomach had to be growling too.

----End Entry----

>>>Date: January 15th, 5:00 pm<<<

"Sorry." Apple Bloom said, her eyes glancing at me before they darted back to her plate. Note to self, Apple Bloom hates the taste of meat. She hates the taste of turkey meat specifically.

"Well, the floor is intact. Still, you didn't have to run off to my closet again." I said to her. If someone were to tell me a candy colored equine could throw a hissy fit and almost break my house, I would have called the cops on them. I remember her bolting back to my closet. It must have been her little safe haven of sorts. How in the heck did she manage to put a dent in a solid, reinforced concrete floor is beyond me. Her legs, hooves, whatever look normal. I don't buy this "magic" business she keeps talking about.

I guess I'll just make my "guest" some apples tonight. The potato chips seem to be a good combo with their saltiness.

"Ah just --"

"I know, you 'want to go home' Apple Bloom. I'm sorry. Really, I am. I just don't know how to get you back."

I thought about offering her a chair, but I don't want those hooves breaking this glass table. It's near impossible to find a slab this thick, this size at a reasonable price. That'll be the least of my worries if this pony eats me out of house and home. If Apple Bloom can eat as much as the websites' FAQs say, I'm screwed. What money I have keeps me afloat. What am I going to do?

"You look worried." Apple Bloom said to me with a raised eyebrow. I waved my hand, shook my head, and watched her finish off the apple slices I carved up for her. "So, ya got a name?"

"You want some more slices?" I said

"Ya stallin' there." Apple Bloom said. She gave me a devious look. Incredible. This filly actually gave me a devilish grin. Well, at least she's proper by putting her plate in the sink. "Ah'm waitin'."

"Apple Bloom, you're nice and all, but I just don't feel like giving out my name. It's not you. I just like to keep to myself." I said.

I excused myself, and then fear took hold. In the bathroom, I heard the sound of the TV. It took me a minute to finish my business. Apple Bloom had indeed turned the TV on. I'm just thankful it goes to a cartoon channel. Looks like my laziness saved me there. Her eyes were glued to those dancing images. Perhaps she's never seen a TV or cartoons. Apple Bloom did talk about this Twilight figure and her machine.

"Do you want a drink?" I said. This isn't weird at all, heh. (Mental note: Sarcasm doesn't come across well in these diaries). I guess I should be gracious to my guest. I made a mental note that I didn't want to give her any soda. Last thing I need is some psycho, magically strengthened equine running around my house like a bat outta hell.

"Got any milk?" she said with a slight smile.

I had to pause for that moment. I don't drink the stuff myself. Tastes like chalk to me. O right, I baked some stuff yesterday for that stupid job I got fired from, wanting to be "nice" to them.

"Yea, I have some. You're welcome to it. Hot or cold?" I said after a nod. She gave a firm smile back, asking me to heat it up a little for her. I popped it in the microwave, pressed a few buttons, and heard her "whinny" I guess. It was funny to see her hide behind the couch. A bit of coaxing and she came out. Took me forever to explain to her it was a microwave. I'll just have to say it's a "machine" next time, and that is that. "Sorry for spooking you. Here's your milk. It shouldn't be too hot."

She slugged the cup's contents down, asked for more, and I poured the last bit into the glass.

"Mind if ah use the 'my-crow-wave' thing?" Apple Bloom said to me. Ok, one of two things happen. Either she puts it too high and the milk explodes everywhere, or I can help teach her how things work. "Ya sure? Ah just work it like this?"

A few button presses later, after some finagling, and she did it.

"Careful, make sure the cup isn't too hot. It heats up the milk and its container." I said to her. She seemed to relax a bit, yet I could see her tears forming while she watched TV.

I glanced to the cable box's readout to see it being around 10:30 pm. I needed some sleep. Today was rather trying.

"Ya mind stayin' out here with me tonight? Please?" Apple Bloom said. I had no idea a pony could give me a sad eyed look, similar to that of a puppy.

"Ok, let me do one last thing." I remember telling her, Apple Bloom giving me a smile.

Now I sit here, typing up this journal from today's events. I have to keep a journal. It helps give me some form of release from the day's events. A guy keeping a journal. Some stupid shrink would have a field day with me, probably wanting to Baker Act me. Whatever.

"Ya ok there?" Apple said to me from the family room where the TV stood on its stand.

"Yea, just finishing something up." I said to her. I guess I'll just sign off for now. I need some rest, and Apple Bloom needs to get some as well.

Author's Note:

This story will be slow to update with current events taking hold. I have 2 others stories I need to get wok on, and some IRL stuff to manage. Though it won't receive weekly updates, I will try for bi-weekly updates at best.