• Published 31st Jan 2015
  • 4,155 Views, 61 Comments

Bronze - Sir Hat



A kid must grapple with the issues of interspecies romance and decide which is more important to him, his friend or his pride.

  • ...
31
 61
 4,155

Babs

Author's Note:

"So, you know she wants you right?" Ross asked, laid down across a desk.

I glared at him. "You don't say? I thought she was just grabbing me for shits and giggles." I grabbed my head and tipped my chair back. "Of course I know. Have to admit, I really thought she was into mares for a while." I dropped my face into my hands and groaned loudly, a sharp echo bouncing through the empty classroom. "What the hell am I supposed to do?"

"Go after her." Ross rolled onto his back and stretched his legs. "She's cute, I mean, it's certainly a special kind of mare in there. Not like...I mean, charming for reasons, not conventional?"

I glared at Ross. "No shit...." I scratched up and down my scalp. "One problem man, mares aren't really my thing." I rubbed my cheek. "I mean, like-- Fuck! Stop saying mean and like, you fucking idiot!" I slapped my temple with my wrist. "Stop it York, stop!"

Ross rolled onto his side. "Dude, don't hit yourself."

"Screw you!" I hopped up from my chair, kicking one over as I stepped back. "I'm in deep shit here man!" I touched my chest. "I don't-- Man...either I tell her the truth and she cries on me or I lie and have to pretend things are okay. It's not okay!"

Ross shrugged. "Seems like a you problem."

I growled loudly. "Me?! How about fuck you! Just because I don't get boners from other species it's my fault!?" I grabbed my head and swung around the room. "God damn it...it's really not fair."

Ross scratched the desk. "Well, you like her right?"

I walked over and slammed my forehead into the door. "Man, she's awesome. She saved my ass so many times, we hung out all those days, she's my best friend damn it!"

"Then why not try?" Ross' voice was low, like there wasn't any sort of problem.

"Ross, ponies aren't exactly my thing, I've said that right? I thought I did." I turned around and leaned my back against the door. "She asked me if I watched mares in porn and all I could think was, sounds like bestiality." I rubbed my forehead. "So, you're saying I should just ignore it?"

Ross shrugged and got onto his haunches. "Well, yeah."

I pointed to him. "You gay?"

Ross cocked his head. "No."

"Okay, so let's say your best friend is gay, and they're asking--"

Ross shook his head. "I get it colt, I'm just saying you seem to want it too."

I rubbed my chest. "It's not that easy."

Ross hopped down from the table and sauntered off towards the door, his hooves dragging loudly against the carpet. "You could try." He bumped me with his flank and shoved me away from the door. "I mean, do you care about her more than you care about sex?"

I frowned hard. "How about you answer that first."

Ross laughed heavily. "That's why I'm single, you, you seem all bent out of shape over this." He walked out into the hall and peeked his head back in. "Kiss her, if you kiss her again...well, you know. But, if you can't bring yourself to do it again, at least you tried."

I shoved him out of the room. "Leave me alone you freak."

He tried to bite my hand. "You're the freak, psycho!" He flipped his tail at me and stormed off. "Pleb."

I shook my head and stretched my arm. "You're the pleb...asshole."

"How nice." A sharp voice came in from the door. "I have to say, eavesdropping is quite entertaining." The deer from the sex ed day walked in. He was clad in a simple cotton coat slung over his body. "York, hello again."

I rubbed my face and stepped away from him. "Deer guy, what the heck are you doing here?"

The deer walked to the front of the classroom and set a bag down on the teacher's desk. "Guest speaker for this class. Biology is my major and after the reproduction day went over so well I figured I'd stop by. Next stop is Vanhoover, but I remembered you and your mare."

I frowned hard. "She's not my mare."

The deer turned to face me. "Seems like you want her to be. And seems like she wants you too."

I sighed loudly. "It's not--"

"Like I said, I heard it all." He levitated a book out and flipped it open. "And, it's perfectly normal to not be attracted to opposite species. Seventy-eight percent of all individuals aren't, or are at least not willing to engage in sexual acts with different species." He closed his book and set it down. "We'll make it simple and round that up to eighty." He walked around the room, looking over the posters and projects hung around the room. "You'll just have to ask yourself if you're part of the majority or, mare willing, part of the twenty." He turned to me with a smile.

I rubbed my face. "You just keep a book of facts with you?"

The deer nodded. "I can start quoting a few if you want. Like how interspecies couples are more likely to produce offspring, or how the least common pairing is dragon and diamond dog. Or how humans have helped shape the hybrid landscape with a missing chromosome." He smiled and turned to the board. "Well, not missing I suppose. Your kind seems to have been doing fine without it. And...it would seem it's a trait of all things on earth."

I shook my head. "Something about magic, right?"

"Thuman's chromosome pair, has been directly linked to magic usage. And, studies have found it's rather peculiar and can be developed after birth. It's an amazing little thing Equestrian natives and adaptives have." He nodded and patted his book against the wall with his magic. "You probably have one by now. If you laid down with that filly that clung to your arm, gods willing, you'd have a foal within a year."

My stomach gurgled loudly. "That's fucked up man." I rubbed my belly, the sudden queasiness refusing to go away. "Don't say stuff like that."

"They'd have a high chance of retaining the mare's coat color and hair color. Eye color is a crap shoot, about sixty-forty in favor of the Equestrian native." He stuck his book into his antlers. "I have a son you know, strange, strange creature."

I nodded. "He some weird half human?"

"Faun? No. Drakovid." He frowned and looked towards the board. "Want to guess, or should I--"

"Dragon, I know biology, sort of...." I scratched my cheek. "Drako is the classification for dragons, right?"

He laughed and nodded. "Good, glad to see they're actually teaching you applicable words here." He looked up at the white board behind him. "She's almost my height already and she's only ten." He stretched his neck. "Her mother is...well, by no means the largest of the dragons, but about half as big as this room." He waved a marker around with his magic.

I felt a shiver shot down my spine. "And you--"

"It's actually why I'm in Equestria at all." He uncapped the marker and started drawing on the board. "She found me in the ice cap between Equestria and the Tsardom. Took me back to some cave in the mountains that border the north." He finished drawing his pony picture and turned to me. "Now, remember that stat I told you? Seventy-eight percent? It's dropping a lot faster since Saddle Arabia and the Griffon Empire declared peace. Deer are coming down from the Tsardom, humans are showing up, and there's finally a notable land for the thestrals." He smiled and drew a stick figure. "The world's about to mix up like a martini shaker, and to be honest I can't wait."

I stretched my neck, a satisfying crack coming as I reached the extent of my right turn. "And? What does that have to do with me?"

He chewed gently. "Nothing I suppose." He capped his marker and tossed it down against the overhang on the board. "She's in the gym, I saw her when I came in. And I think she'd be happy if you went and talked to her."

"You're telling me--"

The deer shook his head. "I'm telling you to settle your business, one way or the other. What you chose, up to you, but I think you, her, I think it'll all be better if you finish what you started."

I took a deep breath and walked over to the board. "You didn't draw it right." I reached up and smudged away the long tail he'd given the pony drawing. "There...better."

The deer nodded. "Go tell her."

"You know I--"

"I think you just made up your mind with that." He turned to me with a smile. "Just remember my lecture, okay?"