• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 521 Views, 7 Comments

The Princess's Hero - The One Hammer



Three years ago Celestia adopted a young colt, now he's tring to join the guard. Celestia and fate both have diffrent plans for him.

  • ...
6
 7
 521

Meeting the Princess (edited)

The training grounds. One of the locations the Royal Guard went to make themselves better. Several sparing rings surrounded the field where squads or squad would stand at attention for hours at a time, such as the this squad was doing right now.

"Listen up maggots!" The unicorn drill sergeant belittled as he passed the first row of Earth ponies. "Each and every one of you earth crawling, plant kissing, excuses for ponies will be expected to guard the castle." He paused in front of the only guard not wearing an enchanted breastplate causing him not to be white like his fellow Guards, but his natural brown. "Private Hammer, where is your armor?!"

"Nonexistent, sir!"

"And why is that?!"

"They don't come in my size, sir!" Private Hammer was several inches shorter than the average mare.

"That's right, private. The guard does not make armor for foals." The sergeant stated with the intent of insulting the young colt. The truth of the matter was that the smallest stallion's armor would not fit as it was too loose for a proper fit, and he was not the right shape for mare's armor, leaving him with mare hoof guards and helm.

Fortunately, before the Sergeant could continue, a messenger ran up to him. "Message from the princess, sir."

"Again? What does she want this time?"

"Her highness requests the presence of Private Hammer, sir."

"Well, she can have him when I'm—."

"Immediately, sir."

"Private Hammer get out of here." The Sergeant growled.

"Yes sir!" Private Hammer quickly fell in step with the messenger, who had retrieved him several times in the past, as they traveled to the castle. "What does the princess want, Post?"

"She did not say, Craft." Post Haste responded with her usual to-the-point tone.

"Oh, a private meeting. " Craft jested before scowling. "I don't like private meetings." The duo turned a corner down one of the many halls of the castle.

"What do you like?"

Craft paused to think about that, "Improvising."

"That's your talent, Craft." Post stated with a roll of her eyes.

"If a pony doesn't like their talent then why is it their talent in the first place?" Craft asked, looking back at his cutie mark, a hammer crossed with a scroll.

"I see why the princess likes you so much."

"And here I thought she liked me for my good looks." Craft struck a pose as he walked.

"And you're back to being an idiot." Post chided.


Before Craft could retort a new voice called out. "Craft is always an idiot, Post." A blue maned, white unicorn with a starburst shield for a cutie mark was waiting out front if the throne room.

"Shield's here too?" Worry working into Craft's voice. "Is this about the prank we played on Blueblood, last week?"

"No," Post said as she put a hoof on the large ornate doors. "She actually got a kick out of that." She sighed before continuing. "Something's bothering her."

Post shoved the large doors open revealing the full beauty of the great hall. On both sides elaborate and colorful Stained Glass murals depicted the history of Equestria. With the late afternoon sun mirroring the colors and patterns onto the floor, the chamber was cast with an almost ancient and mysterious glow. At the far end of the room, on a raised platform with stairs leading up to it, sat a rather simple throne. Next to the throne stood a tall, thin figure, pure white as fresh snow with a mane and tail made of the northern lights, she wore simple gold vestments. When she spoke, she spoke with a kind mothering voice, the kind that one would just sit and listen to all day.

"Welcome Craft Hammer, and Shining Armor." At that Shining ducked into a bow while Craft took a more creative response.

"S'up princess?" Needless to say that Shining hit the floor with his face, while Post faced hoofed

"You can't greet the princess like that!" Shining jumped up off the floor, shouting. "You have to bow!"

"Oh, right." Craft quickly bowed. "S'up princess? That better?" He asked turning to Shining, whose face had paled more than it usually was.

"You're a dead stallion."

"So what are your plans on pranking my nephew?" Princess Celestia interrupted before the young stallions could start an argument.

"What?" The duo asked shock and confusion on their faces.

"Everypony knows you two are his pranksters," Celestia giggled. "Everypony but him that is."

"Told you," Shining punched Craft's shoulder. "Now we're in trouble."

"Ow!" Craft glared at his panicky friend as he rubs his shoulder. "Are not!"

"Craft is right," Celestia spoke as she descended the steps to her throne. "I merely want to join in on the next one."

"What?" Confusion returning to their faces again. Earning another giggle from the princess.

"Craft you're wearing off on the princess," Shining said as he buried his face into a hoof.

"Am not!" Craft crossed his forelegs. "Don't blame me for her humor."

"Craft is correct, my humor is centuries in the making."

"Alright fine," Shining sighed in defeat. "But why do you want to prank Blueblood?"

"Who cares why she wants to prank him. I say let's do it!" Celestia only giggled at Craft's eagerness. "But how do we top turning him pink?"

"Well," Celestia kneeled down and used her wings to bring them into a huddle. "I have an idea."

"Wait." Shining cast a searching glance around the room. "Where's Sunset Shimmer?"

"Oh, she's been sick for the last few days."

"Ok, that sucks." Craft mumbled before turning his attention back to Celestia. "Anyway princess, what was your idea?"