• Published 21st Jan 2015
  • 898 Views, 4 Comments

Free - Twi-Fi



A simple flight for Scootaloo teaches her an important lesson.

  • ...
1
 4
 898

Free

My hooves pounded on the dry ground. The cool air rushed over me, chilling my body, burning my lungs. Disoriented voices still rattled in my head—I couldn’t get them out.

“Scoots! Oh—um hi.” Her voice softened when I had looked at her. “Ah was just, just worried about you.” I felt guilty for walking away. I knew that she cared. They all did.

“Apple Bloom, give her some space. She ain’t gettin’ no piece of mind with y’all hanging around her.” Applejack put a hoof on my shoulder. I didn’t want her to touch me, but it felt nice. “Now don’t you worry none, sugarcube, Ah’m always here if ya wanna talk.” I shook my head violently as if I could shake the voices out.

“I’m so sorry, Scootaloo. As the element of loyalty, she hasn’t truly left us.” Over the twangy drawl of the farm ponies, Sweetie’s squeaky voice overlaid in stereo.

“She hasn’t truly left us…” again and again—No! No more.

Rows and rows of endless apple trees encroached on me in a dark tunnel. They formed the very cage I felt trapped within. Rays of light shone through the canopy of darkness as if guiding me into the abyss before me. “She hasn’t truly left us… left us… left us.”

Applejack had it right, I needed to be alone. Of course she never left me alone for long. Even in my sleep I could feel her breathing down my neck, watching my every move. In reality she was only a holler away, but I felt trapped. My life had changed since that day, and I know they are only trying to help. Later I’ll probably tell you that I just needed time to figure things out.

I know, you, care for her greatly. Don’t worry, I’ll keep an eye on her while you are gone.

You were easier to talk to. You understood me. Our conversations were awesome. Weren’t they? We were great together. But life is full of uncertainty, but there’s one thing I’m certain of.

We will be together again.

I ran, and I ran, but I still can’t escape the ghost of you. Even with all my friends around me, I’ve never felt so alone. I ran so hard and flapped my wings faster than ever before.

Oh, you should have seen it. I flew. I actually flew. My heart jumped into my throat as my hind hooves left the hard ground. As I felt a surge of air lift me up, the strong earthy smell of apples and wet leaves became less. With my left wing, I extended it farther out to scoop the air away from me to yaw right. I pitched myself upward, and flew through a patch of light shining through the canopy. The endless dark row of apple trees soon became a patchwork of green blow me.

“That’s it, kid! That’s it! Look, you’re flying!” you’d shout in excitement. Then you’d move along side of me and say softly, “I’m so proud of you, Squirt.” And I’d smile.

The cool wind rushed through my mane as I turned toward Ponyville. Flying steadily, I wobbled in the air current as I flew over the rolling green hills of Sweet Apple Acres. I gazed at the farmhouse, and wondered if they were looking for me right now. They’d find me eventually. But just then, I wasn’t worried.

I wonder if they ever chanced a look into the sky as I soared over.

Doubtful.

There wasn’t much reason to look up any more.

Picking up speed, I flew in a circle around the outer edge of Ponyville. Below, I could see colorful specks moving between the straw-roofed buildings. Ponies going about their lives. Some rushed about, late for work or some social event, and others meandered the streets with no particular place to go. A few days ago, I was among them. I was just an orange and purple dot: going from place to place. Oh how things have changed. Did their lives ever change in some crazy way?

I wonder…

Banking hard In a low-pass, I flew towards the center of Ponyville. I let the tip of my hind hoof trail gently on the ground as I flew a lap around Sugarcube Corner. I pulled out of my swoop, and returned to an altitude above the town. Equestria stretched on forever it seemed. Canterlot Castle and its many spires were blue-silhouetted next to bold-faced mountains. Below me was the place I lived surrounded by mosaic patches of land.

I can’t believe I was up so high. You probably wouldn’t either. On my first time too. I guess I’m awesome like you now.

I smiled to myself, thinking about how you would act if you were here by my side. Would you tell me it’s time to land? Or would you let me go higher?

Pitching myself vertical, I ascended quickly. Soon the clouds were far below me, looking like fluffy tufts of white cotton. Huffing and puffing, I continued to climb. The air thinned, making it hard to breath. It was cold. Cold like I’ve never known, freezing my joints, causing them to burn with numbness. But that wasn’t going to stop me, no. I have rose above the clouds, straight into the heavens themselves. The azure sky gave way to darker shades of blue with patches of black. Stars were peeking through the patches, and I reached out with my hoof— flapping my wings forcefully, my heart was pounding, my shoulder was aching, my wing joints were on fire, my outstretched foreleg was shaking, yet the top of the world was just beyond my grasp. If I could just reach… just a few inches higher, just a few more—my vision blurred, and my wings faltered.

If only you were here, I’d pull my wings in, and launch myself toward the ground. I’d fly faster than any pegasus. My sonic-speed descent would scorch the sky in purple. You’d be right behind me, trying to catch me, and when you do, the sky would explode in full spectrum of the rainbow.

However, as I pulled my wings in, I returned to the ground with a soft *thump*. I collapsed to the ground panting, flexing my sore wing muscles. I rolled over on my side smiling as I gazed at the blue sky between the green leaves.

I wanted to believe it. Because one day I’ll fly above the clouds, and when I do, we’ll be together again. We’ll walk on the clouds, and fly beyond the rainbow to touch the stars.

But for a fleeting moment, I did believe it. For a fleeting moment, I was free.

Comments ( 4 )

Awesome story! And for random reasons, I found a song with the same title and somewhat fits with the story:

But... But what happened to her? I hope nothing too bad. Probly was though.

5576208 It's basically open to interpretation... it does hint at somethings being more possible than others. Ultimately though, this isn't really a story as much as it's me playing with imagery.

Login or register to comment