• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 5,196 Views, 164 Comments

Dinner with Rose - Admiral Biscuit



Shortly after their trip to the spa, Sam decides to invite Rose over for dinner.

  • ...
8
 164
 5,196

Tenderheart

Dinner with Rose
Chapter 1: Tenderheart
Admiral Biscuit

I was laying on the couch in Tenderheart's office. I know she thought that was strange—especially since it was too short for me—but I'd been doing it since our first meeting. She'd asked me about it once, about two months in, and I'd told her that that was how it was done on Earth. At least, that's how it was done on TV.

And it did kind of help. I'm not sure why, but it was easier to open up if I wasn't looking at her. I could just concentrate on the cracks in the plaster ceiling and pretend that I was talking to myself.

"It was a little scary, but liberating . . . I think."

"Did you stay unclothed?"

"No." I let my eyes trace over the longest crack. It gave me time to think. If she ever re-plastered the ceiling, I was going to be in trouble. "I—I couldn't do it. I wanted to, but there were too many ponies there. So I put my panties back on before I got out of the tub.”

“What did Rose say?”

“Nothing.”

It was true, she hadn't said anything. She hadn't had to. She'd watched me pull my shorts over my soaked panties—which I'd towelled dry as best as I could, but of course it wasn't enough to really dry them—and she'd given me a few sympathetic looks as we walked back to my house, especially when my underwear soaked through my shorts.

We'd said our goodbyes outside my front door, and then I'd gone inside and stripped down, put on my robe, and started dinner. I probably should’ve invited her to stay, but I'd been just a little too stressed to deal with company for any more of the day.

There hadn't been any time for us to get together since then. I'd spent the next few days working with Holly, sweeping chimneys, then a back-breaking day of work at the mill, filling in for a sick pony. I'd be going back there after our session was done.

“It wasn't like we were mad at each other,” I said defensively. Tenderheart had an unnerving way of sometimes just falling silent. It was undoubtedly a trick to get me to fill the vacuum, and it worked every time. “I had to work, and so did she.”

“Mmm-hmm.” I could hear the scratch of pencil against paper.

“Maybe I should invite her over for dinner.”

“Or drinks—a lot of mares like that.”

“It won't send mixed signals, will it? She won't think I'm coming on to her, will she?”

Are you?”

“I don't . . . no.”

“We're almost out of time for today,” Tenderheart told me. “You can sit up if you want to.”

I smiled at that. Tenderheart had some kind of sixth sense when it came to time. I don't know how she did it. Maybe she had a clock hidden somewhere in her desk.

As I struggled upright, the town clock began chiming.

She came around her desk and nuzzled my cheek; I automatically brushed my hand lightly against hers in response.

• • •

The mill was a great place to think, because it was repetitive. I carried bags of flour down to the store-room and put them on shelves. It was sorted three ways—if a customer in town had ordered it special, it went along one wall. Most of the restaurants and the hospital had their own marked bins; on any given day, there were a few dozen ponies who made specific orders. Each of those bags had a cutie mark drawn on them.

Across from that, taking up two other walls, was where the bulk of the flour went. One side was for flour to be sold locally, and the other wall was flour to be exported to Canterlot. It was easy to know which was which: sacks went on the Ponyville side, and barrels on the Canterlot. Fortunately for me, the Canterlot order had already been filled, so I didn’t have to worry about moving barrels.

Twice a week, a pair of stallions would bring a large wagon, load up the barrels, and cart it off to the train station.

I thought about what Tenderheart and I had talked about as I made my careful way down the curved ramp into the basement, a sack of flour over my left shoulder. She'd hinted that my desire to cover myself wasn't dissimilar to any mare's discomfort with having a stranger under her tail.

I got that. I totally understood it. I didn't want anyone I didn't know very well running their hands or hooves around my crotch, after all. But there was a missing piece to the puzzle, one that was just out of my grasp.

I mulled over it all day—I didn't have anything else to think about, after all.

As usual, by the end of the day I was soaked with sweat. One thing the ponies had plenty of was physical labor. I took my pay, accepted a small loaf of freshly-baked bread, and headed home.

After putting the bread in my breadbox, I grabbed a clean pair of pants, along with my soap and washcloth, and set a course for my favorite secluded bend in the river. I was going to have to come up with a different solution soon; it was getting towards late summer, and before too long, bathing outside was going to be impossible.

If I could get a week's worth of work for the cooper, I could probably convince her to make me a tub at a decent price, but thus far I hadn't been able to sell her on my usefulness. I'd seen an episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike Rowe made barrels, but I couldn't remember any helpful details of the process, just that Mike wasn't very good at it.

Why couldn't he be here instead of me? He'd love the place. Nothing but backbreaking labor.

I took a quick look up and down the street, to make sure that there weren't any ponies nearby, before ducking along the small trail that led around and under the bridge. I didn't know why it was here—I'd first thought it was some kind of access path to inspect the bridge abutments, until I'd seen a pegasus checking out the underside of one of the bridges in town. My current guess was that it was a make-out spot.

Fortunately for me, those weren't popular until around dusk. Or at least, that was the case back on Earth.