• Published 27th Feb 2015
  • 1,504 Views, 111 Comments

Tale of a Tainted Mandolin - Spirit Guide



What will happen to MandoPony when he takes a new job?

  • ...
10
 111
 1,504

One Scare is Not Too Many

Mando turned his security cap backwards and tossed one of the balled-up papers into the air. He picked up his mandolin and tuned the strings before strumming a chord. Once more, the music echoed through the quiet halls, leaving a lonely monotonoues feeling behind.

As the last note faded, the clock struck midnight. Mando laid down his mandolin and picked up the monitor. Quickly scanning the pizzeria, he found that none of the animatronics had moved. Then again, it was the first minute of the night. It would probably take time before their servos were back up and running for their nightly jaunts.

While he waited for something, anything to happen, Mando’s eyes fell upon the phone. He thought about the message left by Phone Colt from the other night and wondered whether the mystery pony had more to tell him.

Krrrrrrrk…… krrrrrrrrrrrrk…..

Crackling static was followed by the beeping of the answering machine. A second later, Phone Colt’s recorded voice emitted from the device’s speakers.

“Evening! Um, so… made it through your first night, huh? That’s great, that’s really truly brilliant, well done you. Okay, I guess that means you’ve gotten the hang of the workings, which is good cause from here on out, things are going to be a little… different.”

I hope that doesn’t mean more trouble, Mando silently hoped.

“Yeah, so you probably saw the old animatronic in the Parts and Service Room? That’s Foxy. He’s from the original set, all of which were shipped back to the programmers after a series of malfunctions. That’s why those newer models are there. I’m still not sure why Foxy’s still here though, what with Mangle keeping the foals entertained. Probably for extra parts.”

So what else is new? Mando wondered.

“Anyway, expect Foxy to join the others in nightly jaunts now. For some reason, when Freddy and the other animatronics walk around, something in Foxy’s system turns on and his servos start whirring, allowing him to wander the restaurant. Pay attention, though: that Freddy mask you got won’t fool Foxy. It just doesn’t grab him like it does the others.”

Mando froze and stared at the answering machine. Wait, then how am I supposed to keep him away if he comes to the Office?

“But uh yeah, that flashlight you use to look around? You can use it on Foxy to make him go away. Just point it at him when he’s in the hallway and flash it at him like a signal. The beam should reset him and he’ll go back to the Parts and Service Room for a while.”

So that’s how it works, Mando thought, looking down the hallway as he imagined the canine animatronic in the dark passage.

“Also, the flashlight trick should work on the other animatronics too, should they enter the hallway,” Phone Colt continued. “If you shine the light on them enough, they’ll go back to where they start until they come back…. whenever.”

“Okay, so that’s pretty much it for tonigh-Oh oh, very important! That short animatronic by the Game Area, Balloon Boy? He’s gonna start moving about too. He’s no big deal really, but don’t let him come near the Office. Every now and then, Balloon Boy will take the air vents to the Office and you’re gonna have to scare him off with the Freddy head. This is crucial! If Balloon Boy gets into the Office, he’ll take your flashlight batteries and leave you helpless against Foxy. Keep that thing out!”

Wow, Mando thought. What’s with Balloon Boy that makes Phone Colt talk about him like that?

“Right, that should be everything. So, same protocol as last night with some new faces, watch them with the cameras, chase them from the Office with the flashlight and the mask, and make it ‘til the morning. Good luck!”

The answering machine clicked off. Mando leaned back in the Office chair, trying to relax as he digested the new information. Okay. So now Foxy and Balloon Boy are going to be walking around too. He flicked the flashlight on the desk. And this can keep the animatronics away if they come straight down the hallway. I’m gonna be busy tonight.

Mando picked up the monitor and switched the view to the Show Stage. As earlier, Freddy, Chica and Bonnie stood in a line on the stage. A surprise met Mando’s eyes as Chica unstiffened, tossed her cupcake into the air and stretched her limbs in time to catch the pastry prop.

Well that was unexpected, Mando chuckled inwardly.

Freddy leapt of the stage and adjusted his hat. He look up at Bonnie, his mouth moving as though he were about to speak, but the blue animatronic lifted its hand to silence him. Freddy stared for a minute, but shrugged all the same.

What do they have planned? Mando wondered. He switched the view to the Kid’s Cove, where Mangle was beginning to shift. The skeletal animatronic stretched its mismatched body, leapt onto the picture-covered wall and climbed out of sight.

Well, that’s Mangle on the move. Now for Balloon Boy.

Tapping the monitor controls, Mando changed the view to the Game Area camera. As before, the short stocky form of Balloon Boy stood holding his bunch of balloons. Phone Colt’s message said Balloon Boy is supposed to move tonight, Mando remembered. Time to see what happens then.

As Mando watched the Game Area, Balloon Boy’s head slowly turned to face the camera, the wide crafted grin becoming unnerving. In a surprising show of dexterity, Balloon Boy dashed over to the mini-carousel, tied his balloons to one of the horses, and dashed out of the Game Area and out of the camera’s view.

Mando took a deep breath. Okay, here he comes. He checked the Show Stage, where he found Freddy looking down at Balloon Boy, who was waving his arms up and down and pointing at Chica. The scene was so hilarious, Mando had to grin.

“Enough funny business,” Mando said out loud. “Time to check on Foxy.”

He changed the monitor view to the Parts and Service Room and clicked on the light. The damaged pirate animatronic sat there, same as ever.

“Well, that’s everyone.” Mando sat up straight and took a deep breath. “Now let’s get serious.”

The first few minutes past by smoothly. The animatronics busied themselves with their band equipment and possible conversation until Chica sped down the hallway. Mando switched to the Main Hall camera to keep up with her.

“Hello, Chica,” he said aloud.

The yellow animatronic moved quickly from the hall into Party Room 1, where she adjusted some of the hats on the table before ducking into the vent. Mando checked the Left Air Vent camera and found Chica staring right back.

Here she comes. Freddy head, on.

Mando slipped the animatronic mask over his head and watched the vent cautiously. It seemed like forever until Chica finally poked out of it, cupcake in hand. She slowly surveyed the room, her scanners picking up Mando and focusing on him. Mando held his breath as Chica stared at him with her robotic eyes. After a few moments, Chica swung her head side to side and backed into the vent.

“Uch.” Mando wrenched the Freddy head off. “I didn’t think it would be that unsettling.” He picked up the monitor and found Chica returning to the Show Stage. The other animatronics were milling about, much like the foals had earlier that day.

“Looks like I’ve got some peace and quiet for a few minutes,” he exclaimed happily, putting down the monitor in favor of his mandolin. Before he’d come to work, Mando had taken some time to compose more of his song. He strummed the mandolin and listened to the resonant notes. Content with the sound, Mando positioned his hooves along the instrument and was about to play when he heard something.

Let’s try to make it right
Don’t want to start a fight
And we’re so sorry if we give you all a little fright
We’re not so scary if you see us in the daylight
You’ll be so happy just as long as you survive the night

MandoPony almost dropped his mandolin. Somewhere in the pizzeria, somepony was singing his song; singing in a soft female voice. But that’s impossible, Mando decided. I’ve only played it for Wildfire and she would’ve told me if she was gonna visit me during my shift.

The thought that somepony other than Wildfire knew of his new song bothered Mando, although he wasn’t quite sure why. He put down his mandolin and picked up the monitor. Let’s see who it is.

Mando quickly flipped through the cameras, scanning the pizzeria for any sign of ponies, unauthorized or otherwise. He came up with nothing; only the animatronics were around. This makes no sense! There’s nopony here. The animatronics are programmed to sing, but unless one of the programmers learned my song, this shouldn’t be happening.

His mind racing, Mando checked the rooms again; Chica was in Party Room 4, Freddy had wandered into the Game Area with Balloon Boy, Mangle was crawling around the Prize Corner, Foxy was still in the Parts and Service Room and Bonnie was in Party Room 3.

Nothing, Mando thought, letting the monitor slip back onto the table. Absolute zero. It was inconceivable that the animatronics had sung his song and clear that nopony besides him was at the pizzeria. With nothing to go on, Mando decided to go back to watching the animatronics and—

Let’s try to make it right
Don’t want to start a fight—

With lightning-quick reflexes, Mando grabbed the monitor and zeroed in on Party Room 3, where Bonnie was sitting in the corner. Her mechanical mouth opened and closed as the soft feminine voice emitted from inside.

—And we’re so sorry if we give you all a little fright
We’re not so scary if you see us in the daylight
You’ll be so happy just as long as you survive the night

Mando slumped back in his chair, shocked silent. Bonnie, the animatronic bunny, was singing his song. Impossible, unrealistic and unbelievable, but it was true. Am I dreaming? Mando wondered worriedly. Maybe hallucinating?

His concerns were momentarily shelved when he heard a strange crackling sound from down the hall. Mando picked up the flashlight for the first time, feeling the tool’s weight in his hoof. Happy with the way it felt, he turned its bulb towards the Office entrance and switched it on.

Mangle.

The mismatched animatronic was hanging from the hallway ceiling, looking upside-down at Mando. Her mouth was unhinged and hanging open, revealing her sharp artificial teeth. That doesn’t really add to her appeal, Mando decided right then and there. He steadied his hoof and began rapidly clicking the flashlight’s button, flashing the light on and off and shining the beam right in Mangle’s facial scanners.

Is it working? Mando wondered after ten seconds had passed. Suddenly, Mangle shook her heads and swung out of sight, the static noise she emits slowly fading into the silence of the ‘empty’ pizzeria.

With an exasperated grunt, Mando plopped the flashlight back onto the desk. This night was proving to be more interesting, if not mane-raising. He checked the monitor; Mangle had scurried to the Prize Corner, hanging right above the large gift box. Oh right, the music box! In all the excitement, Mando had forgotten about Phone Colt’s warning from the previous night. Smiling like a happy foal, Mando pushed the winding-up button, listening to the tinkling sound of the music box.

We don’t want a repeat of last night, he thought to himself as he released the button and switched back to Bonnie in Party Room 3. Now for you.

Bonnie had indeed sung his latest composition, with no previous known or logical programming of it. The reality of the situation was distressing Mando. How is this happening? He sat back in the Office chair and absent mindedly tapped the monitor with a front hoof and tapped his mandolin with a back hoof, ultimately strumming the strings.

A thought came to Mando as he listened to the sudden sound. What will happen if Bonnie hears the song being played? The idea appealed to Mando and he immediately put it into action. Balancing the instrument on his knee, Mando strummed his mandolin and began to sing.

Hey there, how ya doin’, nice to meet ya, are ya new in town
Don’t think I’ve seen you befo-ore, it’s great to see new faces around—

—and if you’d like it, I can give a tour
Of our enchanting wonderland, new and improved without the doors

The first two lines were sung by Mando. He had thought them up back home, deciding they fit the view of the animatronics welcoming guests perfectly.

But the last two lines originated from Party Room 3, where Bonnie was now standing up, looking expectantly at the camera as though she could see the earth pony through it. And the monitor confirmed that it was indeed Bonnie who was singing after Mando had stopped.

So she can think beyond what she hears, Mando mused, surprised by the sudden discovery. He had heard of machines programmed to recall and repeat what they pick up, but never of such artificial intelligence as Bonnie displayed. She appeared to be aware of Mando’s singing and could even build on what she heard.

“This just got a whole lot more interesting,” he said, watching the blue animatronic intensely. This would prove to be a mistake.

An ominous creaking sound echoed throughout the restaurant; the sound of an old barely-used door opening. Mando shivered. There was only one of the few doors at Freddy’s that would creak like that.

Parts and Service.

Mando switched the monitor view to the back room where the rejected animatronic was kept, but it was empty. Foxy was no longer there.

Where’d he go?

From Parts and Service to Kid’s Cove and through all the Party Rooms, Mando flipped through the camera feeds, barely caring about the other animatronics, but came up with nothing. The only thing that he had noticed was Bonnie’s expression; the blue animatronic’s face bore discomfort, as though she knew what was going on.

What is going on? Mando wondered, fear building slightly. Then he heard the screeching sound of metal on stone and his eye caught a spark igniting in the hallway beyond the Office. More sparks flashed and the screeching metal noise continued, drawing nearer. With shaky hooves, Mando picked up the flashlight and shined its light into the hall.

Foxy the Pirate stopped suddenly as the beam of light hit his robotic eyes. In the bright light he was quite intimidating, standing almost twice the height of a normal pony. His clothes were horribly torn and his circuitry spilt out of his animal-like suit. The metal hook on his arm was pushed against the wall, a white line visible behind him; the trail the hook had made as the animatronic stumbled down the hall.

Mando was scared. He tried to recall what Phone Colt had told him about Foxy. He won’t be fooled by the Freddy head. The only way to drive him off is with the flashlight. Mando raised the flashlight to eye level and began switching it on and off methodically just like he did with Mangle.

“Please work, please work, please work, please work,” Mando muttered as he flashed Foxy’s scanners full of harsh bright light.

“Hello?”

Mando’s attention was somehow drawn away from the approaching towering figure of Foxy to the left air vent, where a fat rosy-cheeked face smiled up at him: Balloon Boy.

Wait a minute. Balloon Boy?!

Then it hit him. Mando hadn’t paid attention to the other animatronics while looking for Foxy. Balloon Boy must have crawled into the vent while he was distracted. And now he was crawling into the Office.

Balloon Boy giggled a strange foal-like laugh. He then skidded into the room directly in front of Foxy, slid under the desk and popped up right in Mando’s face.

“Ack!”

Mando stumbled backwards in the Office chair, dropping the flashlight on the desk. Balloon Boy reached behind him, opened up the flashlight and plucked out the batteries. The white beam died down.

Oh no.

Balloon Boy looked back at Mando, his smile never wavering. He raised his hand, the one holding the batteries, almost mockingly in front of the earth pony’s face. His robotic eyes stared at MandoPony, blinking their mechanical eyelids at him as he slowly ducked down under the table, still watching the stallion.

I have to get those batteries back, Mando thought. Before-

HRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

Any thought of reclaiming the batteries vanished as Foxy issued a heart-stopping scream and leapt at Mando, jaws wide open and hook outstretched. Mando’s musical career almost ended right there, but the earth pony ducked out of the chair and Foxy shot right over his head, crashing into the wall.

Oh, sweet Celestia!

Mando’s heart was racing as he clambered to his hooves and quickly scooted around the table to survey the mess. Foxy was leaning upside down against the back wall, making strange mechanical screeching sounds as he tried to right himself. Balloon Boy was on the floor beneath the desk, watching Mando with a new expression: surprise.

I have to get out of here, Mando decided. Before Foxy gets up and tries again!

With Foxy’s frightening visage still fresh in his mind, Mando turned tail and hauled flank out of the Office. As he galloped down the hall, he caught sight of Chica standing in the entrance to Party Room 4, her beakless grin not matching her raised metal eyebrow. Mando barely spared her a glance and continued down the hallway, turning into the Main Hall and into the room which held the Show Stage, the Prize Corner and the Game Area.

Mando didn’t stop there; he kept running, trying to put as much distance between himself and the Office where he’d last seen Foxy. Once he’d reached a room with drawings covering the walls, he stopped to catch his breath.

What to do, what to do? Mando struggled to think of a plan. What he really needed was some place free of animatronics. The Office was out. So were the Party Rooms, Show Stage and Game Area. Is there no room in the whole restaurant where these things DON’T go?

Krrrrrr

A staticy sound filled Mando’s hearing, coming from his left. The musician slowly turned and his eyes almost jumped out of his skull when he saw the pale white canine head looking back at him, sharp metallic teeth visible in its jaw.

MANGLE!

The mismatched animatronic stared at Mando intently, its mechanical expression blank. Mando realized he had run into Kid’s Cove and was now sitting beside Mangle. What would the skeletal robot do?

Whatever it was going to do, Mando didn’t wait to find out. Pushing his hind legs against the wall, he rocketed out of Kid’s Cove and hauled flank. Mando streaked past the Game Area, Prize Corner and Show Stage again, and zipped down the Main Hall to the heavy metal door of the Parts and Service Room.

That’s it! Mando thought. The lock on this door is good and strong. Now that Foxy isn’t in here, it’ll be perfect for hiding in. Mando quickly pulled the door open and rushed inside. He pushed is closed again with a woooosh of air, then shoved the bolts of the lock in place, sealing everything out.

Or rather, sealing him in.

Mando looked around the dark room. Now that Foxy was gone, he was able to focus more on the other features of the dingy service room. Odd machine parts lay strewn about. Wires hung from holes in the ceiling and draped all along the walls. Oily stains covered the floor and dripped from above. Most of the floor was dusty, except for a squarish patch by the wall and some rectangular sections between it and the door.

“That’s where Foxy stays,” Mando noted. “And those must be where he walked out of the room.” Mando took a moment and glanced back at the door, but no sound came from the other side. “Hmm. Wonder what the animatronics are doing out there?”

A scraping sound caught Mando’s attention and he whirled around. Standing in the corner, where the shadows were the darkest, was Bonnie. Somehow, somewhen, somewhy, she wandered into the Parts and Service Room and sat down in the corner. When she saw MandoPony wander in, she stood up, towering over him. Her green eyes flickered closed, then open again as she gazed blankly at the earth pony, slowly walking towards him.

Mando backed into the wall, hoping to put some distance between himself and the bipedal bunny and maybe give himself time to open the door and bolt. No. She’ll get to me before that. And even if I did go out, Foxy would be there.

Bonnie drew closer. Mando shuffled further back, feeling the dangling wires brush his face and the dirty oil stick to his hooves. Of all the questions running through his head, one particular one shone out among them: what the animatronic would do with him.

Guess I’m about to find out, Mando thought hopelessly, the last things he would ever think up. He shifted a bit and his mandolin rubbed against the wall, strumming the strings. And I never even got to finish that song.

Wait. The music!

It was a long shot, but in that moment of doom, Mando was ready to try anything. He whipped out his mandolin and sat it on his lap. The sudden movement didn't faze Bonnie, but she did freeze for a moment as the instrument swung out in front of her. Mando stuck his tongue out between his teeth, put his hoof against the strings and began to play.

The sound that issued from the mandolin had a powerful resonance to it. Anypony with the right ear could pick up the feelings inside it: a fear of the end, of hopes being crashed, a love cut short, a mystery unsolved. All of Mando's thoughts and emotions had been rolled together into the short melody he was playing, all in what he saw as his final moments. This was MandoPony's special talent: the magic of music.

The earth pony gave his mandolin one final strum and lifted his gaze. Bonnie had come dangerously close, standing a mere foot away from Mando and gazing at him with an unrealistically focused look on her blue face. Bonnie slowly bent down toward MandoPony, who raised his legs in a flinch, preparing himself for whatever unimaginable intentions the animatronic had planned for him.