• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 432 Views, 8 Comments

Sun and Moon Asunder - Mixer



1000 years after Equestria was split by cecession a single day may decide if the history books tell a story of war or peace.

  • ...
 8
 432

Summer Sun; Winter Moon

Present day...

“Good morning, your majesty.” A voice drifted into Celestia’s consciousness.

The white alicorn sat up groggily, her mane somewhat disheveled and yet to begin billowing in its mystical breeze, “Is it morning already?”

“Yes, Princess. Were you having dreams again?”

Celestia turned towards the source of the voice, now recognizing it as one of her hoofmaidens, Gilded Rose. The pony’s coat was a burnished gold, while her mane was a lighter shade of blonde with a single mauve streak running through it. She wore the standard uniform for the castle’s female service staff, a rather unremarkable maid outfit.

Celestia rubbed her eyes, “Nothing to worry about,” she said offhandedly, brushing away the question, “Is there something you wish to tell me?”

Gilded Rose nodded as the princess retrieved a comb with her magic and started to smooth out her mane.

“Yes, actually. Last night, a messenger arrived from Duskdale, a batpony.”

Celestia stopped her brushing at the news, “A batpony?”

The mare nodded. “Yes. She delivered this scroll before departing.” She grabbed a dark grey scroll from a pocket in her maid outfit and held it out for the princess.

Celestia took the wrapped up parchment and looked at the seal. A crescent moon, her sister’s personal insignia. She quickly broke the seal and unfurled the scroll, reading the contents carefully.

Princess Celestia,

As I’m sure you are aware, this coming solstice marks the 1000th year anniversary since the split of Equestria.

Celestia paused, thinking back to her dreams, and her memory of that night. It was one she remembered all too well.

A delegation will be arriving to observe the festivities. As diplomatic envoys, I expect that they will be provided for, and that no harm will come to them. As a show of good will, my personal student will be with them as well.

Princess Luna

Celestia’s face grew slightly darker as she rolled up the scroll and placed it on an end table.

“Is something wrong, Princess?”

“Go fetch Ink Well and Shining Armor as well. I need to speak with both of them.”

The golden mare nodded and hurried off to find Celestia’s assistant and the Captain of the guard.

Celestia heaved a sigh and massaged her muzzle with her hoof. “Five hundred years without so much as a word and now this?”

Celestia wondered if her sister had changed since they parted. Celestia tried to recall how her sister had looked, but found the details fuzzy. A tear formed in the corner of her eye at the fact that she couldn’t remember exactly what her sister looked like. Would she even be able to recognize her sister if she did see her?

Tears began to roll slowly down her cheek as she regretted not stopping her sister. Originally, she was too shocked to do anything before Luna left, and for the first few centuries, she let Luna rule her own kingdom, hoping that she would come back, but to no avail. It wasn’t until five hundred years after she left that Celestia even heard from her sister, and that was a disaster; their kingdoms had almost gone to war.

Celestia wiped the tears as she thought back to the incident. She was grateful that war was avoided. It was hard enough being isolated from her sister, but there was no way that Celestia could wage war against Luna.

Celestia walked out to the balcony and looked out over the small stretch of the Everfree between the castle and Ponyville, and mount Canterlot beyond. The small city of Canterlot caught her attention briefly as she looked towards the horizon, raising the morning sun.

As the sun peaked up above the horizon she wondered if Luna was watching. As fillies they used to watch each other raise the sun and moon. Celestia wondered if Luna ever thought of the times they shared as she did.

“Why wait until now, sister?”

A knock at the door caught Clelestia’s attention and she turned around from the balcony, the glow of the dawn behind her.

“Come in.”

Shining Armor, in his full guard armor and a smaller, older looking unicorn with a grey-blue coat and a greying mane stepped into her chamber.

“You wanted to see us, Princess?” Shining asked.

“Yes, it seems that my sister has taken an interest in the Summer Sun Celebration and is sending a delegation to observe the ceremonies.”

“Oh my...” the older unicorn said, his eyes growing wide and pulling a scroll out of his saddlebag.

Celestia nodded, “Yes, this is concerning, but I don’t want to risk offending her. Ink Well, I want you to make sure that there are accommodations for the delegation.”

“Of course, Princess.”

“Shining Armor, I want you to keep your guards on a tight leash, I do NOT want a repeat of five hundred years ago.”

He snapped a salute, “Understood.”

“Oh, and tell Twilight I would like to meet her in the throne room,” she added, putting on her royal adornments.

“I will see to it, Princess” Ink Well replied, rolling up the scroll he had been writing on.

Princess Celestia watched the two ponies leave her chambers and then turned to look at the balcony towards the rising sun.

“I hope everything goes smoothly....”


~~

Princess Luna paced about her throne room.

“Is something bothering you?” asked a pale blue earth pony with a black vortex for a cutie mark.

“You know very well what’s bothering me, Eclipse,” Luna snapped, shooting him a pinning glare.

The stallion appeared unfazed by the daggers her eyes were shooting him, “Five hundred years is a long time. I’m sure nopony even remembers it on the other side of the border.”

“You of all ponies should know that ponies don’t change,” Luna shot back.

Eclipse cracked a slight smile at the familiar exchanging of broadsides, “But that’s half the fun. If ponies were as malleable as clay, we wouldn’t have this wonderful kingdom with you as its ruler.” His words seemed to calm her a bit.

“Of course you would be so eager for this expedition, you get to be at its head.”

Eclipse feigned shock, “I would never have such underhoofed motives, Princess.”

“What would I do without you, Eclipse?”

“Find somepony else to arrange all your trips to the spa?”

Luna rolled her eyes, “Just make sure that the others stay in line, you know how Midnight and Spitfire are.”

Eclipse laughed, “Compared to Black Guard, she’s downright playful.”

“And of course Echo will be accompanying you.”

Eclipse gave a smug-ish grin, “Of course.”

“And now I must go speak with Wisp.”

Eclipse nodded, “Time for the filly’s big adventure.”

Luna departed the throne room and headed towards her apprentice’s most likely hideaway.