• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 433 Views, 8 Comments

Sun and Moon Asunder - Mixer



1000 years after Equestria was split by cecession a single day may decide if the history books tell a story of war or peace.

  • ...
 8
 433

Prologue

1000 years ago...

Celestia paced back and forth in the throne room.

The full moon shone through the windows onto the twin thrones, making the banners that hung behind them look lonely and forlorn.

“Where could she be?” Celestia asked out loud.

As of late, her sister had been speaking to her less, but she wouldn’t raise the moon without telling her goodnight. Even with the tension between the two, Luna would still tell her older sister goodnight. But already the moon was starting to climb high in the sky and Celestia still had not seen hide nor hair of her.

As Celestia began to wonder if something happened, the wind picked up and with it came a foreboding rustling. Just as she was about to send for a guard to search for her sister, the large double doors to the throne room flew open, letting in a chilling autumn breeze.

The wind was but a herald, as following after it came Princess Luna, wearing a set of blue-grey armor.

“Luna?” She had to take a second look to confirm that the figure that was striding towards her was indeed her sister.


“Yes, sister,” the night princess replied, her voice carrying a tone almost as icy as the wind that had preceded her.

“Luna, what’s wrong?” Celestia asked, slightly distressed by her sister’s demeanor.

Luna stopped just short of the stairs that led up to the twin thrones, “It has become obvious that there is only room enough for one princess in Equestria, and that is...”

Celestia tensed her muscles, fearing the worst.

“You.”

Celestia’s mouth fell open in a look of shock and disbelief, “What?”

“All the ponies of Equestria honor and worship you and the day you bring, but shun the night and the princess who brings it to them. There is no longer the royal ‘we’, but the royal ‘thee’.”


Luna flared her wings, “I will not stand for this injustice anymore and stand in your shadow. I am leaving Equestria, and making my own kingdom, one where ponies will not shy from the dark, and will relish in the glorious night!”

Celestia was taken aback. “L-Luna, what are you talking about?”

“How can thou beist so blind? For years now I hath been living in thy shadow!”

“Luna, I don’t know what you mean...” Celestia was at a loss for words.

“Do not use that pet name with me any longer,” Luna snapped, “I do not wish violence, so do not try to stop me, sister.”

And with that, the night princess folded her wings and walked back out the double doors, taking the dying wind with her.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to Regina Wright for editing.