• Published 29th Mar 2015
  • 242 Views, 6 Comments

Bravery's ascension - Stucks-24_6



Set in an alternate universe Equestria where hostility has grown ever stronger, a new pony has entered the ranks of the Lunar guard: Bravery Pureblood. This stallion has always hidden his potential from society, but now that will all change....

  • ...
16
 6
 242

Regroup

Nearing the rooftops, the Apex Protector used his spiked chains as climbing hooks and leaned out from the building so that he could look out over the besieged city like an ape in a tree. The sight saddened him, he had failed his mistresses: Celestia and Luna in protecting the land he loved, Equestria was just as beautiful as they were and he was willing to give his life to protect it and if today was that day, so be it.

The Protector heard urgent speech of distress in his head through the mind link, it belonged to Bravery and Shining Armour's team and the tone fear and desperation rattled around in his head as the cries grew louder in his head. The cries were quite painful and the Protector nearly lost his grip on the building but he then let go so that he could glide his way down to where the cries came from.

"Pain! So much pain, Fortaaancus, help me. My team will otherwise be seen! Bravery can guide you, follow his voice!" Shining armour shouted through the link.

After a few minutes the Protector known by Shining Armour as: 'Fortaancus' touched down on the rooftop and could just about see Bravery and his team hiding behind the subtle shine of an invisibility spell. Bravery saw Fortaancus and said to him through the mind link: "Shining Armour is about to give away but I cannot let you be seen, stay there." Fortaancus would not stay he had to help them but as he was about to respond to Bravery, Fortaancus felt a massive sting on his back that made him collapse and stiffen with agony. Bravery saw his mistake and watched a hideous necromancy soldier jump down onto the human with bladed limb held high above his head.

"NO!" shouted Bravery as he ran out of Shining's spell with an act of supreme strength of heart. He realised he had completely disobeyed orders but what use were orders in these times? Nothing could hide from Sombra's evil forever so he would be better off dying than living one more day fearing the day would come when they minions of Sombra would bring his life to a painful end.

Bravery's shout echoed between the ruined buildings and the patrol above caught Bravery running East. The necromancy soldier produced an ear piercing war cry from his deformed mouth and reinforcements appeared over the horizon.

Shining Armour finally let go of the invisibility spell and threw his head armour down angrily and ran to take cover with the rest of the team behind him. Whilst Shining and the team remained veiled behind a concrete pile, Bravery was climbing up to get to Fortaancus and help him. At least that was what he intended to do, now that he had foolishly attracted unwanted attention to he and his team, he was struggling to get to the top so that he would not be confronted at close quarters by one of Sombra's minions.

Finally Bravery reached the top, he quickly glanced down to confirm his team's condition. The necromancy soldiers were drawing ever closer, even from that distance it did not seem like it would take them long to arrive. Concentrating on his self-established task, Brvaery rushed over to Fortaancus lying on the ground where the necromancer soldier was still standing with the blade at the human's throat.

"Brave as you may be mortal, you were unwise to sacrifice your team's safety for this thing who calls himself a 'protector'" croaked the hideous mass of a soldier.
Bravery kept his distance but at the same time showed no fear to the disgusting thing that stood in his way.
"I am not afraid of you or your master, your time is over and you are in my way!" growled Bravery, the low and loud groans of Fortaancus were poking at his ears as he spoke. Bravery considered, the soldier was not moving but provoking it might lead to the death of the innocent and severely injured human that lay on the ground in agony. Fortaancus might not have been like Bravery and his kind but he had saved him once, he would not dishonour this hero by making him die.

The necromancy soldier looked down his victim beneath his massive, deformed hoof with a devious grin adorning his face.
"Ourtime has only begun mortal, you and your kind cannot stop us even if my master dies. You will never understand the true purpose of what we have wrought, besides you will not live long enough to find out anyway." he growled with his blade now pointing to Bravery.

Bravery's expression changed as the colossal blade neared the front of his muzzle. It was raised high in the air and was about to cut Bravery in two until a powerful bolt of magical energy knocked the necromancy soldier off the rooftop. Bravery looked behind him to see that Shining Armour and his wife: Princess Cadence of love standing on the neighbouring rooftop.

Looking back to Fortaancus, Bravery rushed over to him and knelt down to see his face. Fortaancus slowly stirred and sat up holding the poisonous wound on his back.
"Protector, you are hurt let me help you." said Bravery in a concerned tone.
Fortaancus looked up and turned his face away from Bravery in frustration. "You should not have done that Bravery, it was my mistake and now I have put lives of brave soldiers at risk because of my unacceptable error." Fortaancus whispered through the pain that was eating him up.
Bravery stood up in disagreement, "That was not you, that was just an unintended consequence, and w-" said Bravery until he was cut off by the stamp of multiple hooves nearby.

"Bravery Pureblood." came a graceful but agitated voice behind him. It was Cadence who had been the disruption, she was standing in front of Brvaery with a trace of anger on her face. "You disobeyed orders and put my husband's life at risk and for that I've been instructed by your princess to take you away from here and deliver you to her." Cadence explained at slow pace.

Bravery's heart started to fill with shame as he closed his eyes and dropped his head downward. Before he could walk away however, Bravery felt Fortaancus' hand on his shoulder. Shining Armour was behind him and pointing his horn at Fortaancus' wound in order to heal it with a healing spell. As Shining's magic did its work Fortaancus stood upright with his hand still on Bravery's shoulder.

"With your permission your highness I shall go with him, I have something to say to princes Luna as soon as possible." Fortaancus said now fully healed and more determined than ever.