• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 12,302 Views, 410 Comments

The AppleDash Project - bookplayer



A series of AppleDash scenes related to episodes.

  • ...
21
 410
 12,302

Epilogue and Author's Note

It was a day like any other on Sweet Apple Acres. The sky was blue and dotted with fluffy white clouds over the trees full of ripe fruit. Applejack happily bucked a tree, watching proudly as all of the apples fell neatly into the waiting bushels before moving onto the next one.

She bucked the next tree, and the apples fell as they always did. She smiled at those full baskets.

Thud.

An apple landed on her head, then bounced to the ground. Applejack's eyes went wide in shock.

She stared at the apple. Whenever she bucked a tree, she always knocked out all of the apples right away. At least as long as she was on top of her game, like today. And the apples never fell on her, not if she was bucking right.

She shook her head, wondering if her aim had somehow been off. Then she used her tail to whip the apple into a bushel, and walked over to buck the next tree.

She took a minute to compose herself and focus before she twisted to plant her hooves on the trunk. She felt the tree shake, and the apples fell perfectly into the bushels. She sighed with relief.

Thud.

Another single apple.

Applejack blinked, then quickly looked around. Something had to be wrong. She felt fine, and everything looked normal, apple trees, green grass, blue sky, fluffy white clouds.

A smirk slowly spread across her face. Fluffy. White. Clouds.

She grabbed her lasso and tossed it, aiming for the closest cloud above her.

“AAH!” Yelled the cloud. Or the pony laying on it who just got roped, more likely.

Applejack planted her hooves and yanked, tugging the cloud's occupant out of the sky and onto the ground.

“Heya, AJ.” Rainbow Dash said with a grin, picking herself up and shaking her head. She ignored the rope around her midsection and tried to keep from laughing. “Don't you know it's against the law to interfere with a weather patrol pony on duty?”

AJ raised an eyebrow, still smirking. “Well sorry there, didn't know there was a rain of apples on the forecast.”

“Apples? What ap-” Dash started, then noticed her open saddle bag, full of incriminating red fruit. “Oh, that's just, uh, my lunch?”

Applejack's knowing smirk didn't waver as Dash tried her hardest to look innocent before bursting into laughter.

Applejack shook her head and walked up to the pegasus. “You are the most irritatin', annoyin'-”

“Most awesome?” Dash added, still snickering.

AJ started to chuckle. “Most awesome, craziest-”

“Hottest?”

“Hottest.” Applejack nodded. “Goofiest-”

“Best.” Dash smirked.

“Best bunch of good for nothin' ponyfeathers in all Equestria.” Applejack finished, kissing Dash on the nose.

Dash grinned. “Yeah, I am. And you love it.”

“Celestia help me, I do.” Applejack said, her grin matching Dash's.

“So, I came over here to see if you wanted to go for a run. I need to stretch my legs.”

Applejack glanced at Dash's saddle bag.

Dash smiled sheepishly. “Okay, I came over here to throw apples at your head, then see if you wanted to go for a run.”

AJ laughed and nuzzled Dash. “I'm never gonna figure what to do with you.”

“Kiss me. A lot.” Dash suggested, returning the nuzzle.

“That sounds nice.” AJ said, planting a kiss on Dash's lips. “So does a run, if ya' gimme a bit to finish this row.”

“Awesome. I needed a nap.” Dash looked to her sides, where the lasso was still around her wings. “Can you untie me?”

“I dunno.” Applejack raised an eyebrow. “I think keepin' ya' on a leash might be a good idea.”

“We can do that later.” Dash smirked. “Right now there's a tree branch with my name on it right there.”

Applejack smiled and loosened the rope. “I'd love to know why ya' seem to think all my apple trees have branches with your name on 'em.”

Dash shook off the lasso and flapped into the air, landing on a branch. She smiled as she laid back and closed her eyes. “Because this is perfect. A nice sunny day, a comfy branch, and a beautiful farmer harvesting her crops nearby who wants to go for a run later. All that's missing is the awesome pegasus to sleep on the branch, enjoy the view, and keep her company. It's like there's a spot in your life just for me.”

Applejack smiled up at her pegasus. “There sure is, sugarcube. There always will be.”

***

Author's note: Season Three

Seasons one and two of The AppleDash Project are complete. If you're interested in following season three when it comes out you should either make sure you have this story favorited, or watch me. I'll be making a blog post announcing it and publishing it as a new story.

It will probably go up soon after the second episode (or third, in the case of a two parter) airs. I will be making some changes for season three:

Longer chapters – since I have an enforced waiting period between each episode, I might as well use that to make each chapter more of a story in it's own right.

More episodes covered – I hope to do all of them, actually. If AJ and Dash don't appear I'll use the slot to do a side story for them.

A larger story arc – This is a gamble, since I have no idea what each episode will bring. This is the reason I'm giving myself an episode for a buffer, so I have a little wiggle room there. But it should be fun to watch me flail when we get an episode that Josses everything I've been doing so far!

Other Stuff

I recently posted a meme to my blog, offering to do commentary on stories or chapters of stories I'd written. Two chapters of The AppleDash project were requested, so here they are with author commentary: Tough Ponies, and What's So Great About Cider. More might be added in the future, who knows?

Those of you who commented a lot, I was totally keeping track of you. I'd get worried if you skipped too many weeks, and extra happy when I saw your username again. Seriously, you guys, comments are gold and commenting as a story goes along means a lot to an author, or at least it does to me. So thank you.

A special thanks to DbzOrDie, who PMed me one day and has since become on of my best internet friends and the person who's always there to listen to my crazy ideas and help me to work them into something I can write. He's willing to read over what I wrote at the drop of a hat, and I can't express how useful that is.

Finally, DbzOrDie and I are the co-admins of the group AppleDash. We hang out on the message boards there along with other awesome AppleDash fans and writers. We also post art we find, and keep the folders completely up to date with decently rated fics. So if you ship AppleDash, you should check it out.

Comments ( 53 )

So this is it!

I've mentioned at various times an AppleDash Project related story in the down time. . . I'm still not sure there. I have two ongoing projects right now, so I'll have to decide if I can take on another one once I'm used to not having this one to work on.

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting! I hope I see you all back when I start season three.

A very nice "ending" I'm looking forward to what you do with season 3.

1056768
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it as well.

1056780
Well. . . that's what I write mostly, so yeah.

I'll be counting the days until more mlp episodes and more AppleDash. Good luck bookplayer.

These story, from beginning to end, has been a great read. I also kind of downloaded most of the chapters in text form and have them on my kindle so I always have something fun to read. If I could give you extra thumbs up, I would. I also wish I had commented when I read new chapters, but just never seemed to get around to it for which I'm very sorry. I so can't wait for season 3 for both, well, more ponies! and because I want to read more of your AppeDash.

If I was wearing a hat I'd take it off to you. I'm not, so I can't. But fortunately I'm a practised user of spiels of bullshit, so instead I take my metaphorical hat off to you. Its very big hat, philosophically speaking, which means taking it off is much more of an effort and thus much more of a compliment. Granted, yes, I'm not taking a hat off to you in the shallow physical sense but spiritually (wait, no, I'm athiest) *ahem* in an intellectual sense I take my hat off to you.

Normally I use that to explain why I really won something when I lost (I won metaphorically/spiritually/ethically/morally). Although tongue-in-cheek, I'm not crazy enough to actually think that.

Anyhoo, thanks for the great read!

Lovely, as usual! :) I can't wait to see where you go with season 3, and what it has in store for us. And hope to celestia it doesn't break fanon :P

I do wish that the fic had started before fall weather friends. I'd love to see the backstory you'd come up with for this:

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4xdz4u5Mh1qglk3d.png

(near the end of swarm of the century, if you've forgotten)

Great way to end it! Thanks for the story!

Sad to see this finally come to an end (until season 3, that is), but it was adorable as always. I love how we're seeing more of Dash's soft side show through, especially in these last two chapters. Can't wait for season 3 now!

So glad to see this get updated. Loved seeing these stories entwined with the episodes! :rainbowkiss:

Great to see an adorable epilogue on this. :rainbowkiss: Looking forward to the sequel! :ajsmug:

Amazing story. You've made me an AppleDash fan. :ajsmug::heart::rainbowkiss:
I think I actually like this more than TwiDash...I'm not sure yet.
Can't wait for season 3 and the new story! :pinkiehappy:

SWEET! Can't wait what you write for when season 3 comes :rainbowkiss:
There needs to be more AppleDash on this site :ajsmug:

AWESOME! :rainbowkiss: :ajsmug:

I don't know if I'm more psyched for season 3, or the following AppleDash Chronicles that'll be based off them.

1056833
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it too.

1056870
I'm honored that I wrote something that someone wants to reread! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I'm looking forward to writing more for season three, and I'm glad to know that other people are as well!

1057151
It means a lot to me that you've been enjoying this, given how much I love your stories. And I share your hopes for season three not throwing me for any nasty loops. (I think I can handle anything but an episode about AJ or Dash having a crush on somepony. I hope the show sticks to it's "no love life" policy for the mane six. That being said, the writers could make my life hard some other way I haven't even thought of, so I have my fingers crossed.)

And starting earlier in the series is something I'd change if I did this over again. I missed a few great moments, that one, tiny AJ riding Dash in Bridle Gossip, and the hoofwrestling match in Ticket Master would have all been fun. But hindsight is 20/20.

1057813
You're quite welcome! I hope I'll see you back for the next season, you're one of the commenters I knew I could always look forward to.

1057856
Thanks so much. I can't wait either, though I have plenty to keep me busy in the mean time.

1058225
Thank you!

1058987
Thanks! Sorry this took so long. I hope you'll check out the sequel when the next season starts up!

1059381
Thanks! I wanted to end with something sweet. I'm looking forward to writing the next bunch!

1062949
Comments like this mean so much to me. I'm glad I could show you what I love about this ship. If you're interested in reading more AppleDash I always recomend Gold's fic Left Behind. It's a more of an adventure fic, but it's so well written it feels like a movie.

1064871
Thank you! I can't wait to write season three.

There always needs to be more AppleDash. In addition to To Tell the Truth, I'm also working on a one shot (which was actually a discarded idea for the Hearts and Hooves Day chapter here. So you'll probably like it!)

1065546
Wow. . . just wow. I'm so glad you've liked this, and I can't wait to write season three. I'm sure we'll all be so excited when it comes out that we'll barely remember fanfic that day, but I'll get to work as soon as I can on it. :pinkiehappy:

1065715 I was wondering why there's not Hearts and Hooves Day special here :ajsmug: (other than the one from the project of course)

1065715 I'll be sure to read it later! I was actually referred to this fic by a person here on fim fiction named twilightsparkleisbestpony
Again, I can't wait for season 3 to come out for the new story! :rainbowkiss::heart::ajsmug:
That fic you told me about looks really interesting.

I must say this is an unique and delightful piece... Is way too much too describe with my poor vocabulary. However I must congratulate you for what I have read here demonstrates that there are fan fics quite to the height of some novels I've had the luck of reading. If you ever get to come to Veracruz, Veracruz, México, you have all the right to claim a free meal from me in any restaurant you want, my treat.

Although it may sound cheesy, I must thank you for what you have done. I had not been so inmerse in a reading for quite some time now.

Then again, congratulations.

*cling* I know it's over but I was wondering (and if anyone hasn't asked yet) did you ever think of making a chapter on "Dragon Quest"?

nice ending :twilightsmile: all nice and fluffy :pinkiehappy: im sure you will do a fine job dancing around any roadblocks season 3 throws your way. unless they make a Applejack/RainbowDash falling in love episode. :twilightoops: mostly course that very special pony most likely wont be the other and... the obvious reason :derpytongue2: this was simply great and i cant wait for the 3rd season now. both for more mlp and you :raritystarry: :raritywink:


after writing this i went and read some of the comment and i caught you saying how you missed some golden moments and i have to say i would love if you maybe someday down the road did a tiny AJ riding Dash chapther. if you did it i think i would love you forever and im a fan and you would want to be loved by your fans for ever and ever, right? so your going to do it, right? RIGHT!? :flutterrage: i mean if you want to and you didnt have anything else to do course i and maybe others would really really like to read it but i would never make you do it or anything be course that would be wrong and i would never ever do anything wrong like force you to do anything you didnt want to. :fluttershysad: :pinkiesad2: ... :pinkiecrazy: do it.
:derpytongue2: IDK :derpytongue2:

Want! Want! Want! Want!

A week without someone praising this? Well that can't be!
I've only started getting into the whole fanfic idea, and I must say, I've been one hell of a lucky person to have great writings like this to kick me off!
I loved every bit of this. I couldent stop reading and I only hope that season three of the show comes out soon so I can read even more!
I found it interesting, moving and parts, surprisingly, funny! The part you labled as being a bit... Wordy, made the next part really funny! :pinkiehappy:
This is definently one of my favorite storys.

I started reading this a long time ago and I've only just gotten around to reading the last few chapters. This is a very sweet ending to an awesome story! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with what season three throws your way!

This is the series that made AppleDash a permanent part of my headcanon. Writing a response fic for each episode is one thing; keeping this many separate stories not only on topic but also progressing a parallel story arc through them is doubly impressive. I can believe every word AJ and RD speak here, and I can hear them every time. Nothing feels forced in these stories. Despite the narrow focus and short chapters, The AppleDash Project is among my favorites on this site.

Cant wait for season 3 now

wow this story is more than amazing and epic its perfect!

1404665
Awesome! I'll link it from my blog.

I really appreciated the comments at the end. Spelling is not my strong suit, I totally admit it, and I didn't get a proofreader until about halfway through the project. There was an ongoing discussion about the Dash line, and you're right, Dash is Awesome is cheap characterization. Dash does get more development, though. Each chapter is third person limited, so sometimes they're in AJ's head and sometimes Dash's, and there's always going to be a deeper look at the pony whose thoughts you're seeing.

Anyway, great job. Were you planning to do more chapters? I was talking just the other day about maybe doing a reading of a later chapter myself, if that happens I hope it doesn't step on your toes. It wouldn't have the outsider perspective that yours does.

Also: She. I'm a girl. Not offended or anything, just letting you know. :ajsmug:

Finally got around to reading this.

I thought it was a really interesting project, building a romantic relationship between two ponies between, during, and after, episodes of the show itself.

I can say that this story easily exceeded my expectations, and reminded me of why AppleDash was my favorite shipping at one point. When written well, AppleDash shipfics are heartwarming, funny, and extremely enjoyable. Three things that you managed to pull off flawlessly.

I expected no less from you honestly, out of every one of your stories I've read, I don't think I've ever been disappointed.

You also gave this brony yet another reason to eagerly await season three. Good job, as always.

when are you going to start the season 3 chapters?:ajsmug::rainbowdetermined2:

1622138
I'm posting season three as a new fic, and it's ready to go Saturday, after the next episode airs! I just need to make sure nothing happens at the beginning of that episode that I need to lead into. If there's nothing too weird for AJ and Dash, all I have to do is hit submit (and wait for the mods to approve it.)

If you have this fic faved, you'll get a notification for a blog post from me just as soon as it's up. :ajsmug:

1893552
There were two beds in each room. In AJ and Dash's room, only one bed had been slept in, the other was still made. Rarity pulled the blanket off of the other bed, so that whoever came into the room wouldn't know that AJ and Dash were sharing a bed.

1893552
OOOOH, I see! Wow, nice attention to detail there. And how smart of Rarity! :raritywink:

2124912
The Wonderbolt's symbol is a lightening bolt with wings. If Dash had that on her flank, it would be clear what her destiny was. While Dash's cutie mark doesn't prevent her from being a Wonderbolt, she's just saying that it's not set in stone. She could have that cutie mark and not be a Wonderbolt.

2136489
You might wanna skip Read it and Weep, Hearts and Hooves Day, and Hurricane Fluttershy. . . don't say I didn't warn you. :applejackunsure:

I just finished reading through both seasons one and two of your story here and will definitely be moving on to season three. I really love these stories being an appledash fan, but tying them into the episodes was really a stroke of genius. I enjoyed recalling the things that took place and seeing you using that background to fuel the fire so to speak. also you did a great job really keeping the personalities true to the ponies themselves. Overall an outstanding job please keep them coming. :rainbowdetermined2::ajsmug:

2279938
It wasn't, I've never read that fic. The ending just came from the idea that Dash would be jealous of how much attention AJ is paying to Bloomberg, and hiding her insecurity behind teasing. :ajsmug:

Incredibly awesome story. It always annoys me that most romances have to end as soon as romantic tension is resolved because that’s all the story was ever about. I love how this dealt with the start and evolution of the relationship instead. It's different. My only complaint is that I'm confused as to whether AJ planned to leave RD forever or just until she sent enough money to Ponyville that she wouldn't be a failure. I got that she thought for sure that RD would leave her, but I didn't see her tell RD that. The explaination RD got just was't good enough. Loved Rarity's helpfulness, the line "where ya stick your nose is yer own business", Pinkie's thoughtfull private party, that you let the reader be nosy about their sex life without being gross about it, that you added relationship problems instead of making it perfect and boring. Also liked that the problems were normal stuff instead of unlikly and overly angsty stuff. And they handled without breaking up or having eyes for other ponies or [continued]

or cheating. They have a healthy relationship‚ approach their problems like mature adults with love and respect for each other. Each chapter felt like an episode in a "Love is Magic" Spinoff. It would've been great if the chapters were longer to better emulate episodes, started at the first episode instead of the thirteenth‚ included letters to Celestia about lessons in friendship learned through handling relationship problems. But that’s hypothetical and it's very cool as it is. And Iove how they were like "I think you're hot and want to date you and have makeouts and sexytime in a totally not gay way." in the beginning . :rainbowlaugh:

This is a cute little project. I liked it. On to season 3!

Amazing project you have here! I have read a lot of AppleDash because I love it and I have to say most stories put a loooooot of drama! Family not accepting, ponies being rude, hating fillyfoolers, other ponies wanting to separate them and even enemies wanting to kill them! But this project was fantastic! I laughed, I got anxious and my feels melted with so many scenes I can't even mention.

The family being supportive and the siblings (Big Mac) being what most are in real life, family was a really amazing sweet touch. Also the fact that you put they wanted their privacy about their relationship made it more personal and secure, a fantastic point of view because is what most readers want to see. And how their relationship evolves is also amazingly written! The rough and sweet scenes balance each other. You explain their innocent aspect of their relationship very pure as well as the private and intimate stuff without being naughty, just giving what people want to know and what is real

Congratulations on this amazing story and see you in season three!!!

2702670

Exactly my thoughts! I can't add anymore besides that I love just how everyone is tottaly in character!

Welcome to my Top-Boxes!

I remember AppleDash was one of the few things I would look at when I started reading pony fanfiction (which incidentally was when I first started to REALLY read fanfiction). Stumbling onto your profile is like a goldmine considering not all AppleDash is as well written. Just thought I'd thank you for that before moving on to your other works. :ajsmug:

Finally. I finished these stories. Fav'ed. Now, on to reading your season three episodes...starting tomorrow.

This was very nice. I'll have to be sure to look for season 3 and now 4. You really capture a sense of simplicity in what makes happy moments in a loving relationship. Usually, its the little things like simply being in eachother's company. You did well on showing the rough spots too, but it was the simple moments that you brought to a shining polish that I think I'll remember this story for. Good job.

i read the whole seris in one day well most of the seris

OMY GOSH OMY GOSH OMY GOSH OMY GOSHHHHH!!!!! right in the feels...::applecry::fluttercry:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

5385991
Okay, so you're not some all-powerful writing goddess then. :V Just a mostly-powerful one.

(Seriously, I've never cared about AppleDash, but you are making me love it right now.)

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I've never been a big AppleDasher, but congrats: you've written the best AppleDash story I've ever read. I don't know that anyone could top this, even. :)

Login or register to comment