• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 9,564 Views, 3,428 Comments

A Dangerous Sparkle - David Silver



Twilight Sparkle botches a spell and ends up in a whole new realm of danger and adventure, where the land is ruled by a much more pragmatic pony empire, ruled by a very mortal queen. A Ponyfinder crossover.

  • ...
40
 3,428
 9,564

PreviousChapters Next
79 - Hollow Victory

The train was moving again, carrying them along the line towards the next disturbance. Spike wrote a letter without prompting and sent it away. The flash of electricity caught Long Road's attention, "What are you doing, Spike?" His voice was curious without accusation. The others were conversing towards the front of the car.

Spike shrugged lightly, "Seemed a good idea to tell Celestia what we're up to. I let her know Neighagra is clear and we're headed to Hollow Shades." He raised his volume then, looking towards Twilight, "What kind of creepies are supposed to be next, Twilight?"

Before she could reply, Spike abruptly coughed up a new scroll. "I swear she has scrolls ready for me and just sends them after me," said Spike with a shake of his head. He unfurled the scroll as the others started to gather around him curiously.

Dear Spike,

You will be pleased to know that your success is not the only one being celebrated by Equestria today. With the knowledge that Twilight and you have brought, the royal guards have been successful in closing two smaller disturbances on their own, one of them including rescuing Appleloosa from its fiery ruin. I am afraid to report that we have been unable to locate the anchors in the larger disturbances, so we wait with eager hearts to hear how you all fare in Manehattan.

In the meanwhile, you have our support. We will continue to press on the smaller of the disturbances and remove them from the face of Equestria. Your friend, Zecora, has become lost. Our scouts have seen no sign of her since the disturbance around Ponyville was destroyed and they fear the diamond dogs have returned to their old warren with her in tow. I will send ponies to find and hopefully rescue her, but if she is not returned by the time you are, that will be your next assignment.

With Renewed Hope,
Princess Celestia

Rarity tossed her mane as she smiled, "Well that's just fabulous news, Spike. Mostly. Dear Zecora must be fetched from those dreadful diamond dogs post haste."

Pinkie bobbed her head in agreement, "Poor Zecora." She sank a little in place, "Sorry for not getting her. I'm gonna throw her the biggest party ever when we get her back!"

Rainbow waved a hoof dismissively, "She's a crafty one. I bet she's totally running circles around them right now, or maybe she's brewing a potion in secret that'll turn them all into butterflies or something."

Fluttershy lifted an ear, "Can potions do that?"

Soft Mane gave a soft giggle, "Why, you want to be a butterfly Flutter?"

Fluttershy hid behind her mane and withdrew, "Maybe..."

Twilight shook her head, "Be that as it may, let's stay focused on the task at hoof. The area around Hollow Shades was bright yellow, that means air elementals. That means Dash and Spike are going to be the big players this time."

Rainbow Dash gave a haughty pfft, "I cleared out a bunch of those flying ones on my own. This'll be a piece of cake."

Spike nodded, "I'm with Dash. We'll teach them a lesson or two." He brought his claws together with a slap, performing better at looking threatening than he did before his venture to Everglow. Rainbow laughed supportively and the two shared a bro-hoof in camaraderie over the coming battle.

"It's really brought them together," said Pinkie, suddenly whispering in Twilight's ear.

"Huh?" she replied, stepping away from Pinkie, only to be followed.

"Those two," she said, nudging her head at Spike and Dash as they pumped up for battle, "They're closer, I can tell."

Twilight raised a brow, "Like... how Soft Mane wants to be?"

Pinkie gigglesnorted, "Not that kinda close, Twi. Friend close." She moved around Twilight, "They're brothers and sisters of battle! Rainbow respects him more now."

Twilight tilted her head slowly, "Huh. I didn't think of it that way, but I suppose you're right. Spike is much more of a warrior now."

It wasn't long before the train came close to Hollow Shades. For safety, the train pulled to a stop long before the rail terminal there, coming to a smooth halt beside a grassy field. Moments later the conductor swung open the door for them, "Good luck." He smiled, perhaps a touch less nervous than the day before.

"Won't need it," said Rainbow. "Hit me up, Twilight."

"It's still going, Dash," reported Twilight, tapping Rainbow so her lavender energy armor flickered into view a moment.

Rainbow nodded as she grinned. With a flick of a wing at Spike in signal to follow her, she was off the train in a flash, Spike only moments behind. They soared towards the dense forest that is Hollow Shades rapidly.

"Hey, Dash," called Spike over the wind, "Why don't you just rainboom them all away again?"

"Nah," replied Rainbow, "Rainbooms take a lot out of you. We won't need it. This isn't near as bad as the other one."

Approaching the forest, they could see the living funnels of wind lurking in the trees or swirling up above. It seemed they were spotted in turn, as the two opposing forces met. A powerful thunder crack shook the area as Spike unleashed electric pain on the oncoming wave, outright dispersing the smallest of them. Rainbow dashed in at those that remained, landing a solid flying kick on one. The energy armor around her flashed dully as a windy blow was turned aside, "We got this!"

Spike grunted as he sunk a claw into a quickly dispersing air elemental before smashing his head into another, sending it back to whence it came. "Yea, all," he lashed out with his other claw, clearing the air, "under control." An elemental creeping up behind him caught the double hooved action from Rainbow as she crashed into it, then through it as it dispersed. "Thanks!" shouted Spike as he waded deeper into the mess.

Rising from the trees, eddies of leaves swirled into a cohesive mass of wind. It was flying towards the two almost instantly. Spike interposed himself between it and Dash, taking the brunt of its charge with a soft grunt. Rainbow lifted up and came around behind it, pinning the swirling beast between them as they pummeled it. It seemed to disperse, but only to become a vortex of wind. It drew them both into the maelstrom of flying bits of sticks and leaves and crushing turbulence. Rainbow scoffed, "I've taken on bigger tornadoes than you, pal!" She struck out with her hooves with cloud destroying power, seeming to cause pain to the thing. Spike drew in a mighty breath before lighting up the tail of the tornado, causing a whirling light show before it began to disperse, fading away. The leaves and twigs fell to the ground where they weren't clinging to the two. The forest seemed at peace.

Rainbow held up a hoof at Spike with a huge grin. He met it with a fist, "Boo ya!" she cried. Victory in hoof and claw, they returned to the train to report their success. Their return was met with smiles and concerned faces. Soft Mane was at Spike's side swiftly, working away the bruises with gentle words and pink glowing energy. Also pink and glowing, Pinkie patted Rainbow Dash on the back.

"Good job, Dashie. You sure showed them who's the boss of the sky," she said with a grin only rivaled by Rainbow.

"Me and my boy Spike," Rainbow grabbed Spike around the shoulder and hauled him closer, "showed those turkeys what's what. You should have seen us!"

Twilight smiled patiently at her antics, "We did, Rainbow. You were over the trees, we could see you."

"And we were awesome!" declared Rainbow proudly.

Twilight left Rainbow and Spike to enjoy their victory. She poked her head into the engine car, "We're ready to continue." Then returned to the others, who seemed to be calming down. "I see why there weren't many yellow areas."

Long Road lifted an ear, "With weather pegasi, air elementals would have a difficult time taking hold."

Soft Mane gestured at the forest as the train began to lurch forward, "So, I mean, no offense, but why didn't you smash them long before now?"

Rainbow shrugged softly, "Hardly anypony lives out here, and I wasn't here. I may be awesome, but I can't be in two places at once, ya know?"

Fluttershy gave a soft smile, "You were very brave, Rainbow." The others seemed to agree with this, and soon they were well on their way towards Manehattan.

Twilight spoke up over the crowd, "Let's try to get some sleep before we arrive. Manehattan's going to be a lot trickier than either of these last two, and much more important. The train will stop well outside the city, so we should be safe." She trotted over to one of the cushioned seats and hopped up, curling up.

The others were slower to disperse, but eventually the car was quiet save for the quiet rumble of the tracks beneath the train and the low rumble of the motor ahead pulling them along. Like a gentle lullaby, the warriors of Equestria surrendered to the sweet call of sleep's embrace.

Author's Note:

Things are looking up for Equestria!

But can Manehattan be pulled from the elemental clutches? Tune in next time!

Rainbow's boastful typing wasn't as careful as it could be. Pinkie tried to help spot typos, but she's hardly the best spellchecker.

PreviousChapters Next