• Published 22nd Dec 2014
  • 1,396 Views, 15 Comments

Friendship Is Sacrifice - militarynut2010



A college brony wakes up to find himself not only in equestria but in the form of royalty and no clear memory of how he got there.

  • ...
21
 15
 1,396

Tickets Please

Despite the hospital's anxiety towards the idea, it is four days after after Luna and Celestia had left. I had to use a crutch because of my front left leg being cracked, but my wings were still good to go, so I was able to fly from place to place, though I needed to be careful whenever making a landing because of my bad leg. Though the leg and crutch were nothing to dealing with my new situation, now because of being exposed as an alicorn, everyone in town kept wanting things like autographs or if I could do things like healing an injury something. It took Twilight and the others, along with my temper starting to flare to get them to calm down and leave me alone. They still treat me with respect, but not the insane adoration like Celestia would receive. As I am flying, I suddenly hear a voice shout for me and look down to see Spike and Twilight looking up at me. Spiraling down, I come to a gentle landing before using my crutch for support and ask, "Hey, what can I do for you two?"

Twilight shakes her head before saying, "Well, first, how are you doing?"

"good, my leg has been doing a little better, I can stand on it for a bit longer now, but a biggy has been that going on is that I been having dreams where I am seeing through the eyes of Princess Luna, I am usually seeing either Celestia or things going on in canterlot, but they seem to be in the past. Please let Lady Celestia know and tell me what that means will you?"

She nods, "I will, and the other thing is that I have a message for you from Princess Luna."

She hands me the message, to which I am surprised, before thanking her and going on my way. Back at my cabin, I sit down and open the message, surprised when a couple tickets come out as it unrolls. I set the tickets aside, knowing what they are, before reading the message.

Dear Josh

I am sorry if I seem too informal, ever since you and the others had freed me from my curse, I have been seeing your past in my dreams. Some of your memories have saddened me, while others have amazed me. In particular, when I had seen in your memories the incident where you stood up for the person back in your home that was bullied, I was truly amazed. I am sorry if I am rambling; let me get to the main point of this letter. In a month, the grand galloping gala will start, and while my sister has sent tickets to Twilight Sparkle, I have sent tickets to you for you to come along with a friend of your choice. From your memories, I know that you do not like such things as the gala, but I would still appreciate it if you came, I wish to be able to talk to you more.

I hope you are well,

Luna.

I am surprised by her request, and even though, like she said, I didn't like things like the gala, I decided I would still go, for her. Looking at the tickets, I put them in the small saddle bag Rarity gave me, before heading into town to think about who I want to invite. I decide to visit the town black smith. The smith and I are friends; we became friends after I came across his store, and was impressed by his work. Except for his armor, everything there is pretty cheap because of how there is little need for weapons do to the peaceful nature of everyone there. I had felt sorry for him, so after I scanned his swords, I bought one. He promptly gave me three, even though I only wanted one. From there, I started visiting in order to pay my respect or help him when he needed it. Arriving there, he gives me a nod before asking, "What can I do for you today Joshua?"

I shrug, "Just visiting Swift Blade, I got a bit on my mind right now."

"The dreams?"

"No, Princess Luna sent me two tickets to the gala coming up and-."

"SSSSSHHHHH, don't say anything about it here, if someone heard that you had two tickets to the galloping gala, they would-."

"TWO TICKETS TO THE GALLOPING GALA," a pair of ponies walking by shout.

Before we know it, I am suddenly surrounded by ponies, all of whom are begging for me to take them to the gala. I am so thrown off, that it takes Swift blade shouting for me to fly, before I remember my wings and take to the air. Once in the air, my problem drops to just the Pegasus ponies that start chasing me, before I spot Twilight cornered down below. Getting an idea, I drop down between Twilight and the other ponies, getting their attention on both of us before I grab her tickets and mine and hold them saying, "ENOUGH! IF YOU ALL INSIST ON CONTINUING TO ACT LIKE OBSESSED COLTS AND FILLIES, THEN I WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO TEAR UP THESE TICKETS!"

This causes all of them to gasp before backing up a bit. Once they give me and twilight a bit of room, I say to them, "OK, now listen, these extra tickets are meant for us to choose who we want to come with us. For you all to try to practically beg us to take one of you with us, it is ridiculous. You all should be ashamed for behaving this way. Now, it is our decision on who to take with us, and when we decide on whom to take, and then we will let that pony know. Now go on about your day, and be patient."

After my chewing them all out, the towns ponies go back to their business, leaving me panting from shouting, and Twilight amazed by my outburst. I hand the tickets back to Twilight saying, "I can't believe they actually bought my bluff."

Surprised, Twilight asks, "You tricked them?"

I nod, "I wasn't intending to do any damage to the tickets. The princesses sent these to us, and not only would it have been rude to them, I didn't intend to destroy something of yours. Now, I am going to go walking, I still need to decide myself on whom to take with me."

As I walk, I start to get frustrated as I try to think of whom to take with me while other ponies try to do me favors or such in hopes of me choosing them. I am frustrated enough that I actually don't notice when the rain clouds come in and start raining. As soon as it does start, I groan to myself thinking, 'thank you god, for really messing with me today.' Dropping my head, I go to start home when I feel the rain stop falling on me. "Are you OK Joshua?"

I look to find Derpy next to me, holding an umbrella out over me. "I am just frustrated Derpy."

Concerned, she says to me, "Your cabin is pretty far from here, and from how it sounds, you must be pretty tired, why don't you come to my place Joshua?"

I give a light smile before saying, "Sure, that would be nice Derpy."

She sets an easy pace for me, knowing that I can't move that fast. As we walk she asks, "You said you were frustrated, yet you seem sad, why is that?"

I sigh, "When I get frustrated, I stay that way for a while, but when it starts to rain when I am like that, I start to cry. I guess the rain brings out whatever bit of sadness might be in me."

She gives a light smile, "It seems like the rain does that to everyone. I have to ask, when you faced Nightmare moon, were you scared Joshua?"

I nod, "I was, I was scared of failing, that you or the others would be killed. When I had seen you get thrown against the wall by her, I just panicked badly, which lead to my anger taking over. You and the others, even though you all only knew me for a couple days, were dear friends to me and had accepted me."

She puts a hoof on my shoulder, stopping both of us before saying, "You are a brave stallion Joshua, brave and kind."

I thanked her for her words before we continue on. Deciding though to settle something, I ask her, "Derpy, I have been meaning to ask, but why do you put on such an act?"

Alarmed, she tries to lie, "What act, this just plain old silly me."

When she sees my face, she knows that I am not buying it and her expression goes to a sad one. Lowering her head, she says to me, "Alright, it's just, growing up, I was bullied badly because of doing my best. They would pick on me and harass me over anything I would do. It finally got to the point where I decided, maybe if I act like an idiot, they would all just leave me alone. It worked, and I thought it would be safer to keep up the act, but then my friends started drifting away from me. Even though I was just trying to protect myself, they were upset with me and didn't want me to keep acting that way, yet I was too scared to stop acting. I even now, I am too scared to stop acting, afraid that the towns ponies would treat me like the bullies did."

I wince, sorry that I pretty much dragged that out of her before saying, "I guess that is something similar about us, only in my case, I shut myself off from everyone, even my parents. It was a mix of my pride and that I didn't want anyone else involved in whatever would happen so I would endure it alone. I could never bring myself to let others help if something was wrong. Part of my issues, was that I had been hurt by people I thought were friends. I would still try to make friends sure, but they never stayed. I guess my being as quiet as I was and never actively trying to get things going just made it easier for others to forget about me."

Derpy is shocked by my revelation to her and actually hugs me to comfort me, causing me to blush as red as a tomato in embarrassment, seeing my discomfort she asks, "Whats wrong?"

I just shake my head and reply, "nothing", before continuing our walk. When we reach her house, Derpy opens the door, only to get tackled by a blur. After the fight against Nightmare moon, I am still on edge, but relax when I see that it is just a young filly. After the two share a hug, the filly looks at me and then asks Derpy, "Mama, who is that?"

Derpy smiles, "Dinky, this is Joshua, Joshua, this is my daughter Dinky Doo."

I smile before saying, "Hello Dinky, it is nice to meet you."

She gives me a smile before looking at Derpy, "He is nice Mama, is he your boyfriend?"

We both blush up a storm at this comment before Derpy says, "W-w-well, he is a boy, and a friend, but he isn't my boyfriend, we haven't been dating Dinky."

After Dinky laughs, we go inside where I am surprised at the state of the house. It is a bit of a mess, yet is seems to be an organized one, similar to how my home was. Dinky ran over to a coloring book and starts coloring, while Derpy heads to the kitchen, stating that she would make dinner for all of us. As she does, I explore the living room a bit, looking at the pictures. I see a few of Derpy with what I assume are her parents, as well as others of her with a unicorn stallion that I assume was her husband as well as ones of her and Dinky, yet never ones with the stallion and Dinky. I am forced to sit down when my leg starts aching, and watch as Dinky is coloring. Impressed by how well she is doing, I say to her, "You color very well Dinky."

She just looks back and smiles before finally noticing my leg and asking, "Oh, what happen to your leg mister Joshua?"

I wince, I rather not lie, so I tell her a portion of the truth, "Well, a few days ago, I got into a fight with a bad pony, but with help, manage to convince them to calm down and be good."

I am stunned by how fast she is when she is suddenly in front of me shouting, "You're the one who took on Nightmare Moon?! YOU WERE SO AMAZING! THE WAY YOU JUST, WOOSH BOOM! EVEN WHEN SHE KNOCKED YOU DOWN BUT YOU STILL-"

She keeps going on for a bit, reminding me of Pinkie Pie, until from the kitchen door, Derpy says to her, "Dinky, please calm down and give Joshua some space, his leg must be bothering him."

Dinky gave a disappointed yes mom before going back to her book, prompting me to give a light chuckle before Derpy says to me, "Sorry about that, my daughter has a lot of respect for you ever since you took on Nightmare Moon."

I just give a light smile before saying, "Yeah, but really Twilight and her friends are the actual heroes, they were the ones who got rid of the darkness in her."

Derpy counters my statement by saying, "Yes, but you were the one from what I found who had freed her mind directly. You went into her mind and defeated the darkness head on alone."

"But I wasn't alone, Luna helped as well, it was through her strength that we did it."

"But as she had told me and the others, you were the one who gave her that strength. Do you want to give another thing that I will prove that you are a hero or what?"

I shake my head as she gives a somewhat smug look before saying, "You are pretty stubborn Miss Derpy, I norm-."

"Ditzy."

"Excuse me?"

"At home or with friends my name is Ditzy Doo, in public it is Derpy Hooves, right now I am talking with a friend and at home."

I am surprised but smile lightly before saying, "Ditzy then, regardless, you are pretty stubborn when it should be me to be the pretty stubborn."

She just chuckles before saying, "well, dinner is ready."

My stomach growls just as she says this, loud enough that both hear it, causing me to blush badly. The two are practically rolling with laughter from hearing how loud my stomach was. I try to get them to stop laughing, only for my stomach to growl again, sending them into even more hysterics. It takes fifteen minutes for the novelty of it to wear off, (even then they are still giggling over it) and we go to have dinner. As we enjoy dinner, I talk with the two a bit, learning about them while they learn about me. We keep my status as a former human from Dinky, but I do give her ponyized version of some of the things from my home. After dinner, Ditzy has me hang out a bit while she takes Dinky and puts her to bed. When she comes back, I am looking at the pictures again, causing her to ask, "Curious Joshua?"

I look at her then look back at the pictures before asking, "Ditzy, may I ask you something?

She nods, "Sure, go ahead."

"This pony in the pictures with you, is he your husband?"

When she doesn't answer, I look and see that she is sad and is bothered by something. Realize something must have happen, I say to her, "I am sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

She shakes her head before saying, "No, it's OK. He was my husband, his name was Flash Bolt. He was one of the strongest unicorns I had met, and also one of the kindest. Besides you, he was one of the few who seen the real me and treated me with kindness. We were in absolute love and were pretty much inseparable. When I was pregnant with Dinky, he was so excited. Yet despite such a miracle, we didn't have to money for all three of us. We didn't want to impose on others, and besides the mail, I had no way to get us more money. Then there came a message on the bulletin board in town. A collector was looking for a manticore claw for his collection, and Flash took the job. I tried to keep him from doing it, that it would be too dangerous for him and that I didn't want Dinky to be born without a father, but he still went into the forest for it. For two days, he was in there, but we never received word from him. It was the third day and swift blade, the town smith was about to go in after him, but he came out. I was about to hug him, thinking he was OK, until I seen the blood. He was hurt badly from the manticore, and had collapsed in exhaustion. We rushed him to the hospital, and they tried to save him, but he died from his injuries. Ever since, I still blame myself, thinking I should have gone with him, or that I should have tried to find jobs that could have help us. I-."

I cut her off by putting a hoof on her mouth, then saying to her, "It wasn't your fault Ditzy, you were pregnant at the time, so going in with him would have made it even more dangerous for both of you, while working harder than you were would have put too much stress on both you and the baby. Besides, from how it sounds, he was a good pony, one that wouldn't let his family down. I am sorry that you lost him, but he does still live on in a way, through both you and Dinky through your memories. You just have to be strong, both for him and Dinky."

Through her tears, Ditzy looks unsure, before taking me by surprise and hugging me. Using my good limb, I hug her back, comforting her. While we embrace, she whispers to me, "Thank you, thank you so much for your kindness Joshua."

We stay like that for a while before moving to the couch where we talk more. Deciding that since both she hadn't bothered either me or twilight about it and that she could use something to give her a bit of cheer, I say to her, "Derpy, earlier today I had receive something, and I was wondering."

I take the tickets out before asking, "Would you be willing to go to the Grand Galloping Gala with me?"

She is so surprised by my offer, that she is speechless. I am about to ask again when she suddenly hugs me tighter than before while babbling in excitement. By the time she finishes, she falls asleep, tired from the excited and multiple emotions. Looking out the window, I see that the rain has stopped, so I take Ditzy and put her on her bed before covering her with a blanket then put her ticket on the table beside her. Once sure that she would be OK, I left and headed back to my cabin. Once back, I lit the lantern to find a pair of letters on my desk, one from twilight, the other from Celestia. Deciding to see what Twilight had to say first, I open her letter.

Dear Joshua,

I received this letter from Princess Celestia and brought it here. I was surprised to not see you here, but I am leaving the message here for you. Just to let you know, for the Gala, anypony invited needs to have a proper outfit, Rarity does well at making them, so if you need one, then just ask her, I am sure she will make one for you and whoever you invite to come to the gala. Also, thanks again for helping earlier, Apple Jack and them did bother me about the tickets earlier, but I was able to convince them to stop. I was surprised though when Princess Celestia had sent tickets so that each of us could go to the gala. I hope when you go to the gala that you enjoy it.

With regards,

Twilight.

I chuckle at her comment on me enjoying the gala, but nod at hearing what Celestia did, seeing as she is the kind of pony to do that for her student and her friends. Switching to celestia's letter, I start reading it.

Dear Joshua,

In regards to your question as to seeing my sister's memories, that is part of the mind link. When the mind link is established, both sides in the relationship will see the others past. This causes the bond to strengthen until it gets to the point where the couple is capable of multiple things such as hearing the other talk to them via their mind or sensing when they are hurt in any way. You both have a while before reaching this point, but I know you two will enjoy being to together in marriage.

I blush at this and begin thinking of ways to mess with her.

I am aware that my sister had invited you to come to the gala at the end of the month, when you arrive, I know Luna and whoever you are bringing will want your company, but I would like at some point for us to discuss things, including the topic of your being brought to ponyville. I should let you know, the gala is terribly boring (no surprises there)but I am sure that my sister and I can find ways to make it interesting for everyone (oh yeah, I know it will be interesting with Twilight and her friends being there).

With regards,

Celestia.

Finishing the letter, I can't help but to wonder how either Luna or I will be able to handle this. To not only have each other's memories going through the other's mind when they sleep, but to hear and feel their thoughts and emotions? Deciding that I would think about it later, I go to get some sleep, ready for both getting the cast off when the time comes, and to talk to Luna about our situation. As I pass into the world of dreams, I never the notice the feeling of being watched.

At the same time.

An eye was staring at Joshua from the shadows of his room, red as blood watching him with the patience the source of it had gained in the time of its existence as a voice hissed unheard came from it saying, "Sssssoooooon."

Author's Note:

Now it should be clear, there is a coming threat, but it will be a while, so please, be patient.

Comments ( 10 )

Self insertion at it's worst, everyone!

Show, don't tell. This was like reading a checklist.

Ah, if it isn't my mortal enemy, the Brony in Equestria genre. And what's this? You've brought a friend? The Alicorn OC Main Character genre?

And like that down vote.

to those showing me no love, I have this to say...... oh well HGH

5426690 thanks for the tip, don't know how that one slipped in there but thanks

Your pic would make Andy Warhol throw a violent fit, and the 'writing' would compel Jane Austen to throw herself over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

A good example of how to do a brony turned alicorn oc correctly is Destiny's call by Zenith Starwalker.

I myself cannot read this. Its an intersting idea but the pacing is just way to fast for me; it draws me out of the story rather then pulling me in...

Login or register to comment