• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 14,468 Views, 823 Comments

Born For Loyalty - Admiral Q Ponyform



Ryan was a Stormchaser and after being struck by lighting he ends up in Equestria

  • ...
58
 823
 14,468

Rainbow Danger Dash

It was a few days before Blitz and Firefly were able to get a day off, but they finally got some time and went to the orphanage. They walked in and the mare greeted them in an unexpected way. Pointing a hoof at Blitz she declared.

“You! This is your fault!” Blitz lifted his hooves up in surrender.

“What did I do?” He asked.

“You taught that mobile danger zone to fly. Ever since she's been dashing all over the place. It's hard to keep our small library clean since she keeps crashing into it.”

“WOOHOO!” A filly voiced cried out in joy.

“Oh sweet Celestia no!” The mare hid behind the desk and Blitz saw a familiar cyan filly flying fairly fast in the halls.

“Hey Rainbow!” Blitz called out. The filly stopped and looked in there direction. The smile on her face grew wider.

“Blitz!” The filly flew towards them but her attempt to land needs work as she skidded on her belly. “Ow.”

“You okay?” Firefly asked. Rainbow got up and dusted herself off.

“Yeah, I'm getting use to that and I'm pretty resilient.” Rainbow responded and looked over to Blitz. “Thank you by the way. Flying has made this place more bearable, but who's this?” Rainbow pointed a hoof at Firefly.

“This is my wife Firefly. She wanted to meet you.” At this Firefly took a step forward and offered her hoof.

“Nice to meet you Rainbow.” Firefly greeted the filly. Rainbow took both her forehooves and shook it.

“Likewise.”

“Say, do you think it would be alright if we took you out for a day?” Blitz asked.

“PLEASE TAKE HER! I'll fill out the sign out sheet just please take her.” All three pegasi looked around to see the mare peeking out from the desk. Rainbow snorted and gestured with a hoof to the mare.

“No back bone. Come on let's blow this joint.” The two adults just shrugged and turned to leave with Rainbow behind them. As they left Rainbow swore she heard a hallelujah chorus going on in the orphanage.

* * * * * *

“So where are we going?” Rainbow asked the two adults. The two looked back at her and smiled a bit.

“Why to the Cloudsdale park, both of us want to see want you can do.” With that both of them took to the air with Rainbow taking off to catch up to them. They passed by several shops and homes before they ended up in a series of clouds that orbit Cloudsdale and serve as a park area. The three of them landed on one of the clouds and Firefly addressed her.

“Okay Rainbow. Stretch out and let's see what you can do.” Rainbow frowned and admitted.

“I don't know how.” Firefly looked over to Blitz. He just shrugged.

“I just taught her to fly.” Firefly facehoofed.

“Okay, that's okay Rainbow. I'll teach ya how to stretch those wings.”

* * * * * *

Firefly watched Rainbow fly through the air doing various twist and turns. Complete amateurish but done with passion and surprising speed. Heck Firefly had to preen her wings before this. While the filly did know how to preen she didn't know how often to. So her flying in the orphanage was with ruffled wings. This kid has got talent and very attentive when she was teaching Rainbow the stretches. Firefly winced as Rainbow crashed into a cloud earning laughs from some colts nearby. Spreading her wings Firefly went over to Rainbow.

“You okay squirt?” She asked as she helped Rainbow out of the cloud.

“Yeah, the clouds are pretty soft and I've had worse.”

'One tough filly.' Firefly mentally commented. Outwardly she said.

“Hey, wanna race?” The smirk on the fillies face was answer enough. “Alright.” Firefly got into her racing pose and glanced to her right to see Rainbow trying to copy it. “First one to that cloud; two hundred hooves away wins. Ready. 123GO!” With that Firefly speeds off and reveling in the feel of the wind. She looks behind her to see Rainbow fairly distant but closer than Firefly thought she would be. With a smirk she looked forward again and easily touched the cloud with Rainbow landing a few seconds later. Firefly smiled at Rainbow and messed with her mane. “Not bad squirt, you're fast for your age.”

“Not fast enough.” Rainbow huffed.

“Well you were going up against a pro racer. Only the Wonderbolts can decisively beat me repeatedly. Let's get some lunch.” Firefly noticed her hubby closing in. “And since Blitz here is dead last, he gets to pay.” He groaned and little Rainbow was laughing her flank off earning a chuckle from Firefly. After lunch they spent more time together but as the sun sets they bring Rainbow back into the orphanage.

* * * * * *

Firefly was in practice and doing laps with her team mates. It has been a month since she visited Rainbow for the first time. Since then she had visited the filly several times either with Blitz or on her own. She had to admit, she liked the filly. Reminded her a lot of herself. Eager to test boundaries and push herself to the limit. But unlike her younger self: Rainbow seemed to have wisdom that she shouldn't have at that age.

“Great practice run team.” Firefly's thoughts were broken as their team captain Warhawk floated over towards them.

“I expect you all to do that well or better the next racing day.” Everypony answered yes or you betcha. “Okay hit the showers ponies, expect Firefly. I want to talk to you for a bit.” Her whole team was confused by that. They were all thinking the same thing Firefly was.

'What did I do now?' They all left leaving the two mares alone.

"What is it coach?” Firefly asked fearfully.

“I just wanted to tell you that I'm glad to see the old you back.”

“The old me?” She asked in complete confusion. Warhawk's face went sad.

“Look, ever since you lost that foal you haven't been the same.” Firefly felt that old wound open and closed her eyes. Her foal never even had the chance to live. How could she have failed so badly? She then felt a hoof around her neck. “Hey, don't you start falling back now. I know that pain. I know it well when I lost little Nighthawk. But you can't keep yourself there, it's not healthy. I've let you have your slump since you still raced well, and I could respect your mourning, but something relit that fire in you. Seeing my niece Spitfire race around helped me. You know that kid is now in the Wonderbolts, I'm so proud of her. But see helped me heal. I'll never forget Nighthawk but dwelling on his loss doesn't help him nor does your foal. If your foal could stand here today and ask for one thing, I bet it would be for you to be happy. You have a right to be happy Firefly. Don't let a situation that you have absolutely no control over, drag your life down.” Firefly had a little smirk form and replied.

“Thanks coach, you gave me a lot to think about.”

“Hey it's half my job. The other half is for me to yell at you for going to slow.” They both chuckle and go their separate ways.

* * * * * *

On the way home Firefly was deep in thought about what Warhawk said. She hadn't felt as sad as she has the past few years. The pain of her lost child always constant till now. The only thing she had done differently were the visits to Rainbow. Could that filly really be making the difference? She noticed that Rainbow always seemed to perk up when they arrived, like they gave her real happiness. From what Blitz had learned, she has no memory of her family and all attempts to find them had failed. So she literally has nopony to look out for her, just the orphanage. She absently greeted her husband who for once beat her home. He even made dinner. She never questioned their marriage. He was kind, caring, humorous, and loyal. He'd be a great dad. She jerked her head up as a thought entered her mind. He would be a great dad just as she would a great mom, but that was taken from her AND from Blitz. He was harmed as much as she was. He deserved to be a dad and while Firefly still wasn't ready to try again there was another option.

* * * * * *

Rainbow was floating around outside. She had gotten the school work done quickly and the teacher said she could hang out here. Rainbow guessed, so she wouldn't zip around causing damage again. She couldn't help it. These ponies could never understand; they were born with their wings, so at most they would only have a few years without flight. They never had twenty some years without flight. She was flying backwards in a lazyboy pose. Blitz taught her that one and it's surprisingly relaxing. Those two pegasi have certainly helped her adjust better to being in this world. She had accepted her gender to an extent. Yeah. She'll be a tomboy or in this world a tomcolt and she can live with that. She reconciled her past gender and her current one. She just wished her name wasn't Rainbow.

“Rainbow!” A staffer called out and Rainbow resisted the urge to wince at the name. She looked over her shoulder. “You have visitors.” She glided over and through the door before landing. The staffer just shook her head and Rainbow followed her. When they got to the foyer, Rainbow's mood brightened. It has been a week since she last saw these two pegasi. She loved hanging out with Rainbow Blitz and Firefly.

“Guys!” She dashed over till she was hovering in front of them.

“Hey Rainbow, we've got a gift for you.” Blitz said.

“OOOHH! What is it?” It took all her will power not to zip around them to find it. Firefly used a wing to get into her saddle bag.

“It's this.” Firefly said and show a paper to Rainbow. She looked at it and the words that popped out at her. Certification of Adoption. Rainbow was speechless. She didn't feel her jaw hang open and her hooves grab the paper.

'They wanted to adopt her?' She looked over the paper at them.

“This...this is real right? This isn't some kind of prank?” She asked with a hint of fear.

“Rainbow, we have thought long and hard about this and we want you in our life. We've enjoyed our time together so we offer our home and our life if you want it.” Rainbow couldn't believe it. Some of these ponies actually wanted her. She thought she be stuck in this place till she was 18 again. with visits by ponies like them to break it up. But they wanted more; they wanted her.

'Man card, it was nice known ya!' Rainbow hugged both of them with tears running down her face.

“You two are totally cool!” They broke off the hug and Rainbow saw tears in their eyes as well. Blitz handed her a quill and said.

“You just need to sign your consent at the bottom and we'll take you home.” Rainbow read the rest of the certificate but paused at the name near the bottom.

Rainbow Danger Dash

Rainbow looked up at them in confusion and pointed to the name. They look at it and the light bulb went off in their heads. Firefly answered the unsaid question.

“Well you needed a full legal name since Rainbow isn't enough in our books, and we do have a Rainbow Blitz in the family, and since you liked dashing around the place, I thought Rainbow Dash sounded good and strong.”

“And I came up with Danger.” Blitz interjected. “The way you fly or jump into things reminded me of a old saying. 'Danger is my middle name.' So I figure why not make it literal.”

“If you don't like it we can always change it to something else sweetie.” Firefly offered. Ranbow answered by dipping the quill into a nearby ink pot and signed in Rainbow Danger Dash before handing it to the staffer.

“Rainbow, go get your things, and the kids that want to see you off will be in the lobby.

“Call me Dash.” Dash replied and zipped into her room. She only grab a few things since she didn't have much she thought worth keeping. When she got back to the lobby her jaw dropped. Nearly every kid in the orphanage was there to see her off. She wasn't too friendly with them but she did help when she saw need for it. Seeing so many wanting to see her off was surprising. She hugged a couple that she was close to before addressing them as a whole. “Thank you all for being here. I honestly didn't think there would be. I'm glad I did something to make you want to. If I got this luck, so can all of you. Never give up hope. All of you have a good life.”

* * * * * *

Dash entered her new home for the first time. From the outside it looked like a modest but comfortable home. Inside was very homely for a cloud house. A small living room, kitchen, dinning room and a bathroom were on the first floor. Dash's new parents lead her to the second floor which had another bathroom and two bedrooms.

“We just finished this up the night before. I hope you like it.” Blitz said and the door opened to her new room. While white with everything else, it still had a few Wonderbolts posters. Firefly took her to a show and she LOVED IT! It had a cloud bed, and dresser and a desk.

“How's your room Dashie?” Blitz asked.

“You two are twenty percent cooler. I love this room.”

“Well we have one last gift. Something a unicorn friend of mine made for me.” Firefly handed her a book. “This is a journal if you are interested. It has an enchanted lock so only the pony that knows the combination can open it. It's currently Fire but you can change it. Now unpack your stuff and dinner will be soon.” They left her alone and she got to unpacking and then fiddled with the journal. She found out how to set the key code and set it to Ryan. No pony will ever guess it. Soon dinner was ready and after a good meal with her new parents, she was in her room. There was a knock on her door.

“Dashie, you need to go to bed soon.” Firefly said through the door.

“Okay mom!” Dash said with a smirk. She faintly heard Firefly say.

“She called me mom...” Dash heard her mom walk away. She went to her desk and opened the journal book and began writing.

I write this to straighten my thoughts. I was born a human male and lived a comfortable life on a planet called Earth. After a lightning bolt hit me during a tornado storm, I end up in a land of colorful talking ponies called Equestria. And to add to it, I was turned into a female pegasus kid. With no family or even a way to get home I had little hope. The ponies were kind I have to say but still. I was alone. Boy was I wrong. Two great pegasi name Rainbow Blitz and Firefly offered me a place in their home and lives. I never thought that would happen but both have been kind and fun. I may be stuck here but I'm not alone. I think my human side can rest in peace. Signing off for now.

Rainbow Danger Dash

(Formerly Ryan Danver)