• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 14,445 Views, 823 Comments

Born For Loyalty - Admiral Q Ponyform



Ryan was a Stormchaser and after being struck by lighting he ends up in Equestria

  • ...
58
 823
 14,445

Hopeful Dawn

Rainbow Blitz looked at Twilight Ray's Orphanage with hope. It had been a hard few years for him and his wife Firefly. It shouldn't have been, by Celestia. They met each other in school and a close friendship turned into something more by the time they graduated. He took a job at the weather factory while Fires pursued her dream as a racer. They were happy and it only grew when they found out she was pregnant. They started getting everything ready for their foal.

Then the foal was still born.

They were both devastated with Fires spending the night with the lifeless foal in her hooves. She had to be sedated when they finally took the foal away. They named her Star Sky but life was never the same again. Fires has resisted any attempt to have another child. Blitz hoped that with an adopted kid Fires will have her confidence back. She loved him, he knew that and could still race but she was so afraid of losing another child. Perhaps a foal from here could heal her. The foal will get a home and they will have a child and hopefully the start of the healing.

Blitz walked into the he guessed the main hall and saw a desk in front of him with a mare behind it. She saw him and smiled.

“Welcome to Twilight Ray's Orphanage, how may I help you?”

“Yes, I'm Rainbow Blitz and I was interested in adopting, so I came to see what you had.” Some of the mare's smile weakened.

“Sir we do appreciate any interested in adopting but this is not a market. These are foals not property.” He scowled at her.

“I know that, I know it quite well. This is very important to me and my wife. I know quite well what a treasure a foal can be and I want to experience that.” The mare grimaced at the correction.

“Apologies, the care of these poor foals means a lot to us and we just want to make sure ponies adopt for the right reasons.” She grabbed a small stack of papers with a quill and ink bottle. “Please fill this out so we can see if you meet the requirements.” Glad he took the day off, Blitz took the items and began filling out the papers. The questions were general; like his name, name of spouse, job and average income rate, and such. He filled it out quickly and hoofed it over to the mare. She looked over the papers. “Okay so far looks good. We will check it thoroughly over the next few days. I'll fill this and get Tender Wings, I'll just be a few minutes.” He nodded and she flew away as he returned to his seat for a few minutes before the mare returned with another.

“Mr. Blitz, I am Tender Wings, administrator of this orphanage.”

“A pleasure to meet you Miss Wings.”

“Well the kids are out in recess so let's go and see if one meets your fancy and you meet theirs'.” She led him to the back of the building and opened the door to reveal a small play area, where he saw many pegasi of all ages and colors, either playing on the cloud or flying in the air playing various games. He felt a twinge of sadness that so many fillies and colts are without parents. He spent a few minutes just looking at them play and have fun but soon came to notice a particular foal. What drew him to the foal was the colors. The foal had a rainbow mane like him with a sky blue coat, very much like his still born daughter. This foal was attempting to fly but was going about it all wrong, buzzing her wings like that she only get a hoof off the ground at most. But that wasn't stopping the foal from trying.

“I see one has already taken your fancy.” Tender commented. “She's our latest addition.”

'She? I was going to guess a colt with that mane style. Well a tomcolt would not be bad.' Blitz thought privately.

“She was involved in that lighting bolt incident a few weeks ago. She was fine for the most part but has no memory of who she was or her family. No pony claimed her, so when she healed she was sent here. We call her Rainbow and despite her age, she is very intelligent and breezes through most lessons, and for awhile she visited the library but lately she stopped. Despite her trying to fly she keeps mainly to herself. She does help the others when she sees the need but never tries to socialize with the others. To be honest, I think she's still mourning her lost.”

'So she's hurting to. Perhaps we can heal each other.' He gave a questioning look to Tender Wings who nodded to answer the unspoken question. He then flew over to Rainbow, just as she flopped onto the cloud after another failed attempt.

“You're flapping too fast, your wings aren't getting the lift they need.” Rainbow gave him a curious look. He landed and looked over her wings. “You've got good wings kid.” He looked closely at them. “Need better preening but that's an easy fix. I can show you if you let me?” Rainbow eyed him suspiciously. “Perhaps introductions are in order first. My Name is Rainbow Blitz.” That 'seriously?' look was priceless. “Yup we are both named after our manes and I did get some teasing for it. Now with wings, preening is a lot easier than flying. We'll be in Tender Wings' view the entire time.” Rainbow looked towards the building and did see Tender Wings. The filly seemed to think for a minute or two before saying.

“Okay, but don't try any funny business.” Blitz thought that was odd but he began preening and teaching her how to do it herself. She was very attentive and observant. In a few minutes he was done hoof preening her wings. Muzzle preening would be more effective but likely to intimate thing for the filly right now.

“Alright with that done let's get you flying. Now speed is not needed for lift Rainbow. It's the stroke that is; you need to flow through it.” Blitz demonstrated with his own wings and Rainbow paid close attention to it. After demonstrating it for a couple of minutes he had Rainbow try. She was rough and crashed a couple of times but her determination made him smile. Finally having several unsuccessful attempts she manage to float in the air with only the occasional wobble. “Way to go Rainbow. That's a great start. Now let's see if you can move from that spot, and not just float.” He saw Rainbow try and just dive bomb onto the cloud. 'Good thing these are reinforced clouds or she would have gone through.' He gave a hoof out for her but she swiped it away and got up on her own. She then got back into the air and tried again.

He helped her here and there to straighten some things out and took her on a leisurely flight around the orphanage. Her look was priceless. She had the look of amazement and joy as they few together. Then he heard a bell ring.

“Recess is over and I have to get back to class, but thanks for the flying lesson Blitz.”

“No problem Rainbow. It was a pleasure. I'll try to come by again in a few days and maybe you can meet my wife.” Rainbow just shrugged and few back down with him following behind. He saw her disappear into the building as Tender Wings moved in next to him.

“You know, I think that's the first time I ever saw Rainbow really smile since she got here.” That brought a smile to his lips and he said his goodbyes to Tender Wings.

* * * * * *

Due to taking the day off he was home before Firefly. He spent the bulk of the time reading the papers before being a nice stallion and cooking dinner. He was halfway through making dinner when he heard the door open.

“Honey? Your home early. Did something happen at work?”

“Didn't go to work today.” He checked over the food and all that was needed was time to cook, so he set the timer and went into the dinning room and saw his wife. She was a pink mare with a blue mane and tail with a pair of blue lightning bolts for her cutie marks and her magenta eyes. When she saw him a smile appeared which he returned without conscious thought. He saw her sniff the air and the smile got bigger.

“You made dinner.”

“It will be ready in a few minutes so why don't you sit and I'll tell you why I didn't go to work today.” She gave him and odd look but sat down at the table. “I didn't go to work today because I went and visited an orphanage.” She gave him a 'why' look. “Honey I know you were hurt when we lost Star Sky.” Her face went pain stricken and tears formed in her eyes. He immediately went and hugged her. “I know, I know it hurts Fires. I want a child sweet heart, but I know you don't want to carry one again so I thought adopting a foal would be good. Please Fires, wouldn't Star want us to be happy? No child, whether our blood or adopted, will ever replace her. Nothing is set yet honey. I would never leave you without a choice but please give this a chance?” Fires broke off the hug and look him seriously in the eye.

“This is important to you isn't it Blitzy?”

“My family is always important to me Fires, and ours has been hurting for five years. I want it healed, I want us healed so I'm trying anything I know to try.” A buzzing sounded. “Oh that's the haysteaks.” He left for the kitchen and gathered the haysteaks, the prench fires, and some juice. When he came back out and saw Fires staring at the table. He placed the plate in front of her and her smile returned a bit.

“For you Blitzy, I'll try. So did any of the foals catch your eye?” She asked as she took a bite of haysteak.

“One did actually. A cute little filly named Rainbow. She was involved in the weird lightning strike that happened and went unclaimed. She's got no memory of her past beside some vague things and boy is she a determined filly. No matter how many times she crashed she just got up again, and according to the staff she's very smart. Once I got her flying she loved it. The staff said that she had the first real smile since she arrived.” He finally took a bite of his meal and a smile formed on his lips. 'SSSSOOOOOO yummy!'

“Well I'll have to see when I can take a day off and we can go together.” He nods and the two continue their meal in silence.

* * * * * *

Rainbow saw one of the small kids trying to get a bowl on the shelf but clearly couldn't fly yet. She flew up and grabbed the bowl and drifted down and handed the bowl over to the kid. His face went from sad to happy as he figured out what Rainbow was doing.

“Thanks Rainbow.” Every kid here knew of her because of the mane colors.

“No problem squirt.” He left to get what ever food he was going to put it. She grabbed an apple and took a bite before nearly plowing into Tender Wings. “Oops sorry Tender.”

“It's okay; we avoided a crash. I saw what you did for Bolt Strike. It's nice seeing you more helpful and especially more cheerful.”

“Well for cheerful, being able to fly can lift your spirit. I've lost my home and the family I had. I will always miss them and will never forget them but they are beyond my reach. This is who I am now for good or ill. As for the kid, well, I know what they feel and while I can't really hang out with them due to my preferences I can at least be kind and helpful for them.” Tender looked amazed at what Rainbow said, probably never expected that out of a five year old filly. She liked blowing their minds every now and then. “Goodnight Miss Wings.”

“Goodnight Rainbow but please call me Tender.” Rainbow didn't answer as she flew away to her room. She laid down on the bed absently eating the apple as she thought about the day. It started like the usual day in this Equestria. Get up, breakfast, morning lessons, lunch, recess, afternoon lessons, then free time. But Recess was different today. That Rainbow Blitz, poor guy. Born with that mane, at least it made sense on a girl's body but on a guy's? That was totally uncool. But he was awesome. He taught her how to fly and the sense of freedom was amazing. For a time she could forget what happened to her and enjoy the moment. With him nearby it felt like....family. Get a grip Rainbow. He was probably just a guy in for repairs or something being kind to one of the orphans. He wouldn't really be a guy looking for a kid. She had seen some of those and they were never interested in her. A guy like that probably already has some kids and a happy family. He has no need to look for someone like her right?


RIGHT?

Author's Note:

I know some are going to complain about Blitz's name. Cannonly he may have another name but this is an AU story so i decided to have somke fun and use the gender swap name for RD.

Note the Ryan RD will be slightly different in cannon RD but will keep to the overall spirit of RD.