• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 5,733 Views, 138 Comments

My Little Pony Equestria Girls 4: Sunset Shimmer Returns - Hopeful Soul



Sunset Shimmer finally returns home to Equestria to right her old wrongs, unfortunately the sins of the Human World follow her back and put everypony in Equestria in danger.

  • ...
10
 138
 5,733

After All This Time

My Little Pony Equestria Girls 4: Sunset Shimmer Returns

Chapter 1

Recap: A year after the Battle of the Bands, Twilight’s human counterpart made her appearance and tried to determine what was going on at Canterlot High. Sunset Shimmer tried to protect her from the truth but, driven by her desire to be noticed, the Human Twilight refused and in the process became infected with dark magic and corrupted by her hatred thanks to a small piece of the Dazzlings pendant. Needing a way to stop her, Sunset and the Rainboom’s called forth Princess Twilight to stop her alternate self, but alone she wasn’t enough so the girls formed an alliance with their old foes the Dazzlings and together they defeated the Evil Twilight in a furious final battle. However, with the threat over the Dazzlings attempt to betray the Rainboom’s, but Sunset saw this coming and thanks to her plan the trio were stopped and placed in prison. Following that Princess Twilight returned to her world, her human self gained new friends and the Rainboom’s had their High School Graduation, all of them ready to face the world. But for Sunset Shimmer to finally start a life in that world she must first right one more wrong…

It was late at night in the human world and outside the old Canterlot High building the moon shined brightly in the sky, having reached its full peek. Normally, this would keep the portal between the Human world and Equestria separate but with the help of the two Twilight’s that is no longer a problem.

Also outside the school, aside from the night sky, was a banner at front of the school that read ‘Canterlot High One Year Reunion’ and from all over the place there were multiple former students rushing inside for the party being thrown for all the previous students of Canterlot High and everyone was eager to see each other again after being separated for a year.

One of those people was a young woman named Applejack, a farmer at Sweet Apple Acres, she hadn’t changed much in appearance since graduation and still wore her classic brown hat but she clearly seemed much wiser, being a young adult and all. At the moment she was currently scanning the crowd looking for her friends.

“Hey, AJ!” Someone called out.

The cowgirl turned around and smiled when she saw her Athletic friend known as Rainbow Dash walking over. “Well, I’ll be, Rainbow Dash, ain’t you a sight for sore eyes,” she remarked as she and Rainbow embraced.

“Man, it’s good to see you again.” Rainbow expressed. “How’s the farm?”

“Doing great, now that me and Big Mac are working their full time.” Applejack said.

“And what about your sister?” Rainbow inquired. “Staying out of trouble?”

“What do you think?” Applejack questioned with a raised brow.

Rainbow chuckled. “Yeah, I guess not,” she said, amused.

“So, Rainbow, what have you been up to?” Applejack asked.

“Well, I’ve been trying to set up a soccer academy, you know give kids a fun thing to do after school.” Rainbow said.

“Cool. That sounds like fun.” Applejack

“Yeah… haven’t a bit of trouble raising the money though.” Rainbow shrugged.

“Just keep it up RD, you’ll get there.” Applejack assured her.

“Thanks.” Rainbow said, sharing a smile with her

“APPLEJACK! DASHIE!” A loud voice yelled.

“Hey… that sounds like…” Rainbow began.

“Eeyup.” Applejack confirmed before a certain pink haired girl popped up near them and embraced them in a bone crushing hug before lifting them up..

“Ooh! It’s so good to see you guys again!” she squealed.

“It’s good to see you too Pink…” Applejack said, feel the tightness of the hug.

“Yeah, really good…” Rainbow agreed before she finally released her and Applejack. They both rubbed their backs. “You know… I never thought I’d miss your hugs Pinkie.”

Pinkie just smiled, happy to hear her friends words.

“So Pink, what’s new?” Applejack inquired.

“Ooh! I’ve being doing birthday parties for kids all over the place! One time, I even dressed up as a Pony, that looked like me!” Pinkie beamed.

“That… is creepy.” Rainbow remarked, slowly. Applejack nodded in agreement while Pinkie smiled.

“Yoo-hoo! Girls!” Somebody said, in a sing song voice nearby.

They all turned and saw their beautiful and fashionably forward friend Rarity walking over to them, and causing every male head in the room to turn to her, even the ones who already had girlfriend’s causing them to get smacked.

“Hey, Rarity!” Pinkie Pie waved.

“Rarity! I didn’t know you were gonna be at the reunion.” Applejack remarked.

“Well, the schedule at my new fashion school is hectic, but I wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Rarity said.

“Aw! That’s so sweet!” Pinkie Pie gushed.

“You were expecting something else perhaps?” Rarity inquired, smiling.

“Not really, though I am expecting to get those new soccer uniforms I ordered.” Rainbow pointed out, smiling. “And they better not be sparkly, ok?”

“You’ll have them soon enough, I promise.” Rarity assured her.

“So Rarity, how is fashion school?” Applejack inquired.

“Oh, it’s exactly like saving the world… just replaced The Dazzling’s with a pompous teacher named Prim Hemline and a highly annoying fellow student named Suri Polomare.” Rarity stated, slightly agitated. “But forget them, I’m just glad to finally be back at Canterlot High after all this time!”

“Me too!” Pinkie Pie nodded. “But aren’t we missing some of us?”

The all looked around and then someone softly cleared their voice to get their attention. They all turned and saw their shy friend, Fluttershy, standing right behind them.

“Uh… hi everybody…” The shy girl known as Fluttershy said.

“Fluttershy!” Pinkie cried, happily before she rushed over and gave her a bear hug and a lift into the air, also. “I can’t believe it’s you!”

“Uh… hi Pinkie…” Fluttershy said. “Could you… put me down now?”

“Ok!” Pinkie said before placing her back down. She smiled at her brightly while the others approached.

“It’s good to see you again, Fluttershy.” Applejack smiled.

“Yeah, how you’ve been?” Rainbow Dash asked, curiously.

“Oh… ok.” Fluttershy said, shyly glancing at the floor.

“Ok? Come on, ya gotta tell us more than that.” Rainbow told her.

“Yeah, come on girl, give us the deets!” Pinkie added, excited.

“But I don’t have any deets, I’m deetless…” Fluttershy said, a bit intimidated by Pinkie’s enthusiasm.

“Pinkie Pie, calm down, let Fluttershy calmly tell us what she’s been doing all year.” Rarity said.

“Oh… just doing more volunteer work… I’m even thinking about going to college to become a veterinarian like I originally planned.” Fluttershy replied.

“A vet? Oh, wonderful darling! That’s the perfect job for you, just like Sunset Shimmer said it would be!” Rarity told her.

“Yeah, it’s practically your destiny or something.” Applejack agreed, smiling.

“Thanks, girls.” Fluttershy smiled, thankfully.

“Ok, let’s see… there’s Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Me, that leaves…” Pinkie began before someone suddenly spoke up nearby.

“Hey, guys.”

They all turned and smiled when they saw her former enemy turned friend, Sunset Shimmer, who had now ceased wearing her leather jacket, approaching them with a smile.

“Sunset Shimmer, as I live and breathe.” Applejack remarked, smiling. Sunset returned the smile as she and Applejack quickly embrace. “Good to see ya, sugarcube.”

“Yeah, it’s been a while.” Rainbow agreed.

“How’ve you been?” Fluttershy inquired, shyly.

“Have you had fun?” Pinkie asked, interested.

“Yes, I had fun and it sure is good to be back together with you guys again after all this time.” Sunset expressed.

“Likewise darling.” Rarity agreed, smiling.

“So how have things been?” The former bully inquired.

“Oh, you know, same old.” Applejack said. “I’m farming.”

“I’m volunteering.” Fluttershy added.

“I’m parting!” Pinkie chirped.

“I am designing the latest trend.” Rarity said, proudly.

“And I’m starting my own soccer academy!” Rainbow boasted. “Well… trying to anyway. That reminds me there’s a certain guy trying to help me fund it that I need to have a talk with.”

“Is it your boyfriend, Soarin?” Pinkie inquired.

“Pinkie!” Rainbow snapped, embarrassed. The girls all chuckled, amused.

“Well, I see you guys haven’t changed.” Sunset Shimmer remarked.

“Hey, why change perfection?” Rainbow pointed out, proudly.

“I have to agree with that, though with a different meaning of course.” Rarity said.

“Yeah, we may have gotten older and wiser, but we’re still the same and still friends.” Applejack stated. The others nodded in agreement and smiled.

“Hey, do you think Twilight’s gonna be here?” Sunset inquired.

“Doubt it, I here she’s in that fancy science college trying to get her degree.” Applejack said.

Then just as she said those words they noticed the Human Version of Twilight, now no longer wearing her glasses or keeping her hair in a bun and wearing the clothes Princess Twilight usually wore when she came to their world, approaching them.

Trying being the operative word, I’ll tell you,” she expressed. Everybody smiled when they saw her and Sunset quickly hugged her.

“Twilight!” she smiled.

“Hey, Sunset! Oh boy, I’ve missed you.” Twilight said, happily. She turned to the others. “And you as well, girls.”

“Aw, thanks! We missed you too!” Pinkie said, still as bubby as ever.

“I see you’ve been keeping up your appearance after all this time, well done darling.” Rarity complimented.

“Thank you, Rarity.” Twilight nodded. “Thought it looked nice, so why not wear it like the other me?”

“Good call. So how’s getting your doctorate going?” Applejack asked, interested.

“Well, it’s been hard but I’ve come up with a lot of good theories and I’m working on some pretty interesting stuff.” Twilight said. “Don’t worry, it’s not technosorcery, I promised I wouldn’t make any more than scanner and I haven’t.”

“Good, because you don’t want to break a Pinkie Promise.” Pinkie warned her.

“Really? Because I didn’t get that after the hundreds of texts, the emails and the hourly visits.” Twilight remarked, deadpan. “Which, by the way, I did not appreciate the one when I was in the shower.”

“You what?” Rainbow asked Pinkie, shocked. The others looked at her, surprised also.

Pinkie smiled, sheepishly and chuckled. “Uh… Oopsie?”

“Yeah… wasn’t exactly the highlight of my day…” Twilight said. She turned to Sunset. “And what about you, Sunset? What are you doing these days? Last I heard you were looking for part time work.”

“Yeah, it’s been kinda hard trying to find one.” Sunset confessed, depressed.

“Well, don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll find the right job.” Human Twilight assured her.

“I hope so…” Sunset said, she paused for a bit then spoke in a more upbeat tone. “By the way, how are you and Flash doing Twilight?”

“Actually, we’re doing fine.” Twilight admitted. “Sure he’s always on tour but we talk to each other every minute between when he’s not practicing or playing in front of a huge crowd, so it’s not so bad.”

“But what if…” Pinkie began before Rainbow nudged her hard.

“What if he cheats on me while he’s away? Don’t worry, I know that hasn’t and never will happen.” Human Twilight stated.

“How did you…” Applejack began.

“I did my research on long distance relationships and the pitfalls that come with it, but thanks to Applejack’s advice and the books on lying I will always be able to determine whenever Flash is lying to me or not, which he isn’t.” Twilight explained. The girls looked stunned.

“Yep, you are Twilight Sparkle all right.” Applejack remarked, impressed. She turned to Sunset. “Speaking of whom, have you heard from her?”

“A couple of times, she’s pretty busy, running a whole kingdom and all.” Sunset said,

“I suppose that makes sense.” Rarity admitted.

“And why she hasn’t dropped by for a visit in like… forever.” Rainbow Dash added.

“Well, we can’t expect her to visit all the time.” Fluttershy pointed out.

“Yeah, like Sunset said, she’s in a busy position now.” Applejack stated. “More so the us.”

“Exactly, we shouldn’t pressure her into coming every time we miss her.” Rarity agreed.

“Aw…” Pinkie Pie said, disappointed. Sunset Shimmer glanced at all of them sadly and then finally decided to say what was on her mind.

“Also… I’m thinking about going back there for a while.” Sunset confessed. They all looked at her stunned.

“What?” They all asked.

“Why? Why are you going back!?” Rainbow Dash questioned. “Aren’t you happy here?”

“I am, it’s just… I got some stuff that I need to sort out there and now I finally know what I want to say. Plus… I’m having trouble figuring out whether I belong here or there.” Sunset Shimmer admitted.

“I suppose what makes sense.” Human Twilight admitted.

“Still don’t like it though.” Rainbow said, while folding her arms and frowning.

Applejack nudged her. “Rainbow, it doesn’t matter if we don’t like it or not, whatever Sunset decides to do is up to her, not us, ok?” she told her, sternly.

“Fine…” Rainbow Dash grumbled.

“Well… are you coming back?” Fluttershy asked her, worried.

“I don’t know… maybe… I’m not sure… I’ll guess I’ll just have to go back and figure it out when I get there.” Sunset Shimmer said.

“So you’re just gonna abandon us!?” Rainbow accused her, angrily.

“No! Of course! I would never abandon you girls, your my family! I just… need to sort some things out before I make my next move. I don’t think I can think straight until I make things right with Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight’s friends and of course… my pony family.” Sunset Shimmer said, sounding depressed.

“Hmm, having that much on your mind does make it harder to make certain decision in life.” Twilight pointed out.

“Exactly.” Sunset nodded. “I just need to sort those things out and then I’ll be able to figure out just where I belong, but no matter what happens I’ll always love you girls.”

They smiled at her touched and began to understand her reasoning.

“Well… if you think that’s what’s best… then I support you.” Fluttershy smiled.

“As do I.” Rarity added.

“Same here.” Applejack nodded.

“I still don’t like it but… if it’ll make you happy then fine, go for it.” Rainbow encouraged.

“And of course I’ll support whatever decision you make, I owe you that much.” Twilight’s Human Counterpart stated.

“Thank you, girls.” Sunset Shimmer smiled. “This means a lot.”

“Of course, what are friends for?” Twilight asked, returning the smile. Sunset looked at her proudly, happy with how far the human version of Twilight has come since her corruption.

“Then it’s settled!” Pinkie declared, firmly. “We’re gonna have to throw you a going away party!”

“Pinkie Pie, you don’t have to do that…” Sunset Shimmer tried to tell her.

“Oh, but I do! What kind of friends would we be if we just said ‘Goodbye’ like that?” Pinkie questioned.

“She has a point, darling.” Rarity told her.

“Yeah, besides I’ve been looking forward to a Pinkie Pie party for a long while now.” Rainbow expressed.

“Same here.” Applejack nodded.

“Me too.” Fluttershy agreed.

“I’ve only been to a few but… I’d like to go to one again… if that’s ok with you.” Human Twilight said. They all looked at Sunset Shimmer expectedly and hopefully until she finally gave in.

“Ok, fine! Let’s do it,” she said with a smile.

“Alright! Party time!” Pinkie cheered. As the all began to discuss plans for the farewell party, somebody in a dark hood watched them from a far. Somebody with glowing red eyes that were looking directly at Sunset Shimmer herself. The two eyes narrowed as the unknown person growled with anger.