• Published 19th Dec 2014
  • 1,946 Views, 28 Comments

On Watch - Turtlezgomoo



A murderer is loose in Canterlot, and Flash Sentry is in charge of protecting twilight sparkle.

  • ...
7
 28
 1,946

Chapter 1

"Twilight Sparkle. For the Last time NO." Celestia said, the late hour and constant disobedience from her pupil causing her voice to be full of annoyance, "You cannot be out alone, and your brother is keeping Cadence safe. And he, of course, trusts no one else with your life."
"Its not like the Ghost Killer would go so close to the castle, its just the gardens. Especially at this hour." Twilight said, trying to convince her elder to allow her to go star gazing.

"Tell that to your brother." Celestia groans and turns away to return to her quarters.
Twilight huffs and trots off to Cadence's room. A certain somepony's helmet outside the door, typically meaning the lovebirds were... Busy. With a Sigh, Twilight got an idea, she turned the corner to find the nearest guard. Unlike the normal guards, this one was orange, as opposed to white, grey, or brown. "He'll have to work." She mumbled and approached the stallion. "Shining Armor has ordered you to escort me to the garden. Mister.... Umm.."
"Flash Sentry, Your Majesty." He bowed slightly. "And it'd be an honor."
Twilight nods, "Lead the way, Flash." She says, self pride overwhelming her as her plan works. She stays close to her protector.
The last few weeks have been fence however, with 4 mysterious murders in Equestria. No doubt they'd try and get to any form of royalty. Especially if it be a changeling.

They soon reach their destination and Twilight lays in the grass. "Join me if you wish." She smiles.
Flash simply shakes his head and takes post. "Sorry Princess, but I must keep watch. Not stargaze." he states.
"Okay." Twilight shrugs and looks at the twinkling lights. "Do you know any stars?" She asks curiously

"No Princess." He says,

"Twilights fine." She giggles and looks up, "Well that one is Urnas Major. And there's Minor." She points out.

Flash looks up as well, "Those right next to each other?" He asks

"Yeah." She nods with a smile

Flash removes his helmet to reveal his short cut mane and sets it on the ground. "What about that one?' He points to a constellation.

"That's... Draco." She says, then looking at him. She must admit, the Stallion was quite young for the royal guard. Around her age. He was handsome at that.
He flushes a bit, "Sorry Princess, it gets a little uncomfortable after a while..." he shuffles slightly, talking about his helmet.

"No its fine! You just look... Different, without it." She smiles, then looks up, and that one is..." Her voice trailed off as a breeze rolled in, and a shiver overcame her.

"Cold Princess?" He asked, kneeling next to her and wrapping a wing around her.

She blushed. "Thank You Flash..." She smiled, nestling into his wing.

“Just doing my job Princess.” He smiles

Twilight relaxed into the stallion’s wings, looking up at the sky. “And that one is Cepheus.” She continued her small lesson.

“You really know a lot about this stuff.” Flash chuckled.

“Yeah… Me and my brother used to do this a lot… up until the wedding of course.” Twilight sighed, resting her weight onto his side.

Flash nodded, an awkward silence coming between the horses.

“But… I do come out here by myself often. Celestia Caught me though, I hardly have time to do anything unattended anymore.” Twilight broke the silence.

“Well… I could become your personal guard.” Flash Suggested, “I won’t tell you ‘No’.”

“You’re new… My brother doesn't trust too many ponies to care for me. Especially With the Ghost killer on the loose.” Twilight sighed, putting her head in the grass, “But it’s worth a shot.” She yawns.

“Tired?” He asks, nudging her.

“What are you doing with my sister?” Shining armor’s voice questions, sternly the Stallion, “Why did you leave your post?”

“I uhh, She said…” Flash Stammered, stumbling up.

“I should have known better than to trust a Pegasus.” He glares.

“I asked him to bring me stargazing. And my orders overrule yours big brother.” Twilight steps between them carefully, authority in her voice.

“Twilly… You can’t use your princess hood to use my guards like this.” The older Stallion scolded lightly.

“You were… Busy.” Twilight blushed awkwardly, causing red to paint both stallions’ faces.

Shining armor walked away slowly and Twilight couldn't let herself turn to Flash, who soon enough walked by her and looked back at her, “You coming?” He gave a small smile.

She grinned and trotted next to him. “Sorry, You’re probably going to get in trouble later…” She apologized

"It's worth it." He chuckled cryptically before taking off to land on a balcony of the castle and going in to resume his post.

Author's Note:

Here is the first of hopefully many chapters of On Watch