• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 784 Views, 1 Comments

Rhapsody in Green and Red - dramatic_spoon



Rhapsody gets an early Hearth's Warming gift.

  • ...
0
 1
 784

Happy

“…Rhapsody, what is this?” Lyra turned to face her daughter. The filly sat in front of the oven, watching whatever sat inside.

“What’s what, Ma?” Rhapsody responded, not taking her eye off the oven.

“Come here and look at it, the cookies still need to bake.”

“Fiiine.” Rhapsody pouted as she stood up and trotted over to the table, “What is it Ma?”

“What is this?” Lyra pointed to the tray in front of her: a massive flattened hunk of gingerbread dough, slathered with sprinkles of every shape and size, peppermint drops, cinnamon, globs of frosting, gumdrops, and more sweets.

“You said I could decorate my cookie.” Rhapsody sweetly responded.

“Cookies. I said cookies, for you to share with your friends.”

“I know, but since its one big cookie, I can’t really share with anyone, so it’s all mine.” Rhapsody beamed.

“Either break it into individual cookies that you can share or I’m going to give the entire thing to your father.”

Rhapsody paused, eyes widening in surprise. Her aura quickly flared up, nabbing various cookie cutters on the table and slapping them against the hunk of dough, cutting out cookies in the shape of stars, ponies, circles and more. After several moments she stopped.

“Done.”

“Good girl,” Lyra smiled. The doorbell rang, “Rhapsody, go see who that is.”

“Kay.”

Rhapsody trotted over to the front of the house and opened the door. Granny Smith sat in the door frame, hunched over in her wheelchair. Behind her, Applejack beamed at her niece.

“Hi Aunty Applejack! Hi Great-granny Smith!” Rhapsody beamed.

“Well, Hi there Sugarcube, you helpin’ Lyra with the baking?” Applejack beamed.

“Kinda.” Rhapsody pouted, “Ma’s not letting me make a giant cookie for myself.

“There’s a reason, Rhapsody.” Lyra called out as she pulled a tray out of the stove, “Now let your Great grandma in, before it gets too cold.”

“Kay.” Rhapsody trotted to the side as Applejack pushed Granny Smith into the house. Applejack pushed the wheelchair by a large recliner and locked it down.

“Y’wanna stay in yer wheelchair, or you wanna switch to th’ recliner, Granny?” Applejack asked.

“Just leave me in th’ chair, food’ll be done soon, won’t it?” Granny Smith asked.

“Soon-ish,” Lyra shrugged, “Mac’s outside cooking the roast. If you feel like it go out and have a beer with him.”

“Think I’ll take ya up on that offer.” Applejack trotted past Lyra and out the back door. Rhapsody sat in front of Granny, as the wizened old mare smiled.

“Well now, how’s my favorite great-granddaughter today?”

“I’m great!” Rhapsody replied, “An’ today was fun. I gotta help pa pick out the potatoes, carrots, an’ stuff for tonight. Then ma and me baked cookies, but she said I hadda share’m with my friends.”

“Sounds like you had a busy day,” Granny chuckled.

“Eeyup.” Rhapsody bobbed her head up and down as the doorbell rang again.

“Rhapsody go get it,” Lyra called out, “Granny, do you want a blanket?”

Rhapsody got up and went back to the door, opening it. Apple Bloom and Rumble stood there. Rumble held a casserole dish in his forehooves, while Apple Bloom carried something on the side of her saddle.

“Hi Aunty Apple Bloom! Hi Uncle Rumble!”

“Hey Rhaps, we’re not late are we?” Apple Bloom tussled Rhapsody’s mane.

“Eenope.” She shook her head, “Pa an’ Aunty Applejack are in th’ back.”

“Rhapsody, if that’s Rumble and Apple Bloom let them in.”

Rhapsody moved to the side as the two entered the room. Rhapsody stared at Apple Bloom’s saddle: a filly sat in the side bag, resting comfortably. She squirmed abit and opened her eyes, staring at Rhapsody.

“Hi Zap Apple!” Rhapsody beamed. The filly squirmed again, wincing at the volume of her voice.

“She’s been fussy all day,” Apple Bloom sighed, “Dunno why. Ain’t his diaper, ain’t gas.”

“I know why,” Granny mused, “Bring her here.”

Apple Bloom trotted over to Granny Smith, stopping in front of the elderly mare.

“Lemme take th’ saddle off, Granny.”

“No need,” the elderly mare gently picked Zap Apple out of the saddle and pushed the blanket off her head: the grey-blue mare looked up at her great grandma and giggled.

“She just wants to see her great-grandma,” She chuckled. Zap fidgeted around more, sitting up in the mare’s lap. She yawned, stretching out her wings as Rhapsody sat back in front of the two.

“Granny?”

“Hmm?”

“When Pa an’ Aunty Apple Bloom got married, did you think we’d be earth ponies?”

“Well…” Granny Smith paused, “Not really.”

“How come?”

“Well, Lyra’s parents are both Unicorns, so it seemed like it was a fairly even chance you’d be one.”

“…That’s what Grandma Lyrica said,” Rhapsody mumbled, “What about Zap?”

“Same idea. Rumble’s parents are both pegasi.”

“Can I hold 'er?” Rhapsody asked.

“Best ask Apple Bloom an’ Rumble.” Granny looked up. Apple Bloom entered the dining room, carrying a tray.

“What was that?” Apple Bloom asked, placing the tray down.

“Can I hold Zap?” Rhapsody asked again.

“…I guess so, you ok with that, Lyra?” Apple Bloom turned to look at the unicorn.

“As long as someone keeps an eye on the two.” Lyra responded, not looking away from the tray of cookies.

Rhapsody reached over, taking the outstretched infant. Her aura flared, helping her hold onto the foal. She beamed at Zap Apple who stared back at her.

“Hi Zap Apple.” Rhapsody smiled, speaking softly.

Zap Apple gurgled and smiled again. The filly reached out, bumping Rhapsody’s nose with his hoof. Lyra and Apple Bloom trotted over, and smiled at the scene.

“Rumble did you bring the camera?” Apple Bloom asked. Her question was met with no response, “Rumble?” she turned around, “…where did he go?”

“I have my camera, don’t worry,” Lyra smiled, bringing the camera forward, “Rhapsody, turn around so Granny Smith’s in the shot.”

The filly scooted around, spinning around to face the camera.

“Say cheese.”

---

“Really Mac?” Applejack took a swing of her beer, “You think so?”

“Eeyup.”

“Well…You really think she’s responsible enough for it?” Rumble asked.

“Eeyup.”

“Alright then, she’s your daughter.” Rumble shrugged, “lemme get this inside.”

Rumble placed a pair of oven mitts on and flittered in, carrying a large roasting platter covered in aluminum foil.

“By the way, Mac…” Applejack paused, “You never did tell us what happened to Rhapsody.”

“About what?”

“When she went missing for a week,” Applejack paused, “I really don’t by that she was sick for that long.”

He paused, “Sometimes we have to keep some secrets, AJ.” He got back onto his hooves and followed Rumble inside, “Better eat it while it’s hot.”

“Alright, Mac.”

The two trotted back into the house, to find everyone sitting around the table. Lyra placed the platter onto the table and pulled the foil off: Carrots, Parsnips, potatoes, zucchini, squash, pumpkins and more. Zap Apple lay in a foal sleeper, suckling her bottle.

“Well everypony, dig in!”

---

Rhapsody collapsed onto the sofa, groaning as Applejack, Rumble and Apple Bloom cleared the table. Granny Smith sat in her wheelchair, rocking the sleepy Zap Apple.

“Eugh. I ate too much.” Rhapsody groaned. The door opened again as Big Macintosh and Lyra entered, carrying a box. Despite her complains, the filly shot back onto her hooves as Lyra set the box down.

“Rhapsody, your mother and I been talkin’…” Big Macintosh started, “And we think you’re ready for this.”

“…This isn’t like when Flash’s grandpa trieda giv’m a sword, is it?” Rhapsody asked.

“He did what?” Lyra blinked.

“Long story,” Big Macintosh coughed, “No, this is something different.”

Lyra placed the box down in front of Rhapsody. As soon as the mare’s magical aura vanished, the top of the box exploded outwards. A floppy eared spotted puppy looked around the room before turning her attention back towards Rhapsody. The two stared at each other for a moment, neither one blinking. Finally the puppy began to wag her tail and licked Rhapsody.

“IT’S A PUPPY!” the filly squeed as she hugged the dog. Behind them, Zap Apple fidgeted in Granny’s grasp.

“Is he mine?” Rhapsody looked over to her parents.

“She’s yours,” Lyra chuckled, “We were going to give her to you tomorrow, but we decided it would be better to do today.”

“Can she sleep with me tonight?”

“No, she’s not housetrained yet,” Big Macintosh replied, “But we’ll work on that.”

“Can I name her?”

“Eeyup.”

“I’m gonna call her Mimi.” Rhapsody squeezed the dog tighter.

“Why?”

“Cause she looks like a Mimi.”

“Don’t squeeze her too tight.” Big Macintosh warned.

Rhapsody let go of Mimi and bounded over to her parents, hugging both of them.

“Thank you!”

“You’re welcome sweetie.” Lyra hugged her back.

Comments ( 1 )

Short, but sweet. :)

Login or register to comment