• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 1,277 Views, 6 Comments

A Day in Destiny - Lunaravenue



Sunset Shimmer never completed her studies on friendship. A single glitch helps a broken pony feel whole again.

  • ...
2
 6
 1,277

Memory Lane

Author's Note:

Eh, there may be some typos here, but I'm still trying to figure some things out. I'm publishing just to get a wind of what you guys think. Any suggestions? :)

Sunset rapidly spun around, startled by the sudden noise. She was a pony again...but where? Mist and sparkles flew all around her and soft colors floated around her, twisting and tossing like the wind. She saw a bunch of images...no...images don't move. They were memories.

Celestia and Sunset Shimmer from the past were standing in front of a large mirror. The room was dim, and no other ponies were around. The Sunset from the memory had a dark, mean expression on her face. Present Sunset recognized this as her old look. Always a clever smirk, or an evil eye somewhere....and this was the start of it all....

"Sunset, where is all of this coming from?" Celestia asked. Sunset remembered the moment clearly now. It was when she threw a fit, decided she was better than everyone, and escaped to Canterlot high.

"I've been working for you forever, and all you do is always pile on more and more work. I've made my friends, I've completed all your challenges. I've been working my flank off since before I got my cutie mark! Oh oh oh, and thanks for that too!" Past Sunset rambled on sarcastically and stopped to point at her cutie mark. Present Sunset looked on her flank to see the same thing. Her eyes darkened. The memory didn't stop there, however.

"Remember when I got this? When I helped you raise the rays of light from the sun. It was nice, the rays danced, the sun shone so bright, but just petty work! This is useless. All of your lessons...were useless! ARRGH!" Past Sunset threw her hooves down in fury. She stopped her heavy breathing and started manically laughing. The pony's orange and red mane was messed up and thrown all about her face. She continued speaking. "Although, I must thank you, Celestia. You've showed me my escape. Escape to a better life, a better fate. Good-bye, princess!" Past Sunset leaped into a mirror... the mirror, and the memory faded away....

Sunset sighed deeply. She hated all the reminders, but based on the looks of what was ahead, there were a lot more before she could reach wherever she was going. Nothing was behind her, so forward, must be the way to go...right? The pony kept on walking. Before she even walked a half inch, another memory caught her attention. She was in her bedroom at the Canterlot Castle. Past Sunset was sitting on her bed...waiting. It didn't take long for Present Sunset to realize what this memory was....

"Sunset! Hey! You wanted to see me? Be quick though, Dazzle Rich is waiting on me," a voice came out. Both Sunsets recognized that voice immediately: Flash Sentry. The orange stallion strolled in and plopped himself right next to Sunset. Past Sunset blushed, as she twirled her hooves around in a circle.

"Well....I....I" Past Sunset stuttered. Flash looked confused, so Past Sunset took a deep breath and started speaking. "You see....well....we've been hanging out a lot recently, and I think you're a super cool guy...so I was wondering......"

Present Sunset couldn't handle it anymore. She immediately ran from the scene. She knew what happened next. Tears formed in her eyes as she overheard the last moments of those memories. She asked Flash out that day, and got brutally rejected that day. Flash used to like her until Dazzle Rich showed up. Super fancy, and of course, rich. She swept him far away, and made him different. Sunset thought asking him out would snap him back, but apparently not.

"I can't believe I ever trusted someone like you to be a friend...."

Sunset paused after running for what seemed like forever and collapsed on the floor. Flash turning her down was the last straw to breaking her niceness. Sunset never got her revenge on Dazzle at Canterlot High as a human, but now the pain was too much to handle. She just felt sad all over again. Another memory played as she silently sobbed.

"Hey Sunset!" a lavender pony chimed as she walked into the Canterlot Gardens. A young Sunset was sitting in a meadow of flowers. The small pony beamed when she saw her friend.

"Twilight!" Sunset ran across the field and met up with Twilight Sparkle, her best friend and one of Celestia's newest students. Twilight was pretty absorbed in studying, but even she had a few friends around. Sunset was one of them.

Present Sunset Shimmer smiled as she watched memories of her and Twilight playing around, studying, and just plain goofing off. Celestia wiped away most memories of Sunset after she left. It was too embarrassing, too complicated to explain to the good ponies of Equestria. Memory spells were the easy way to go, besides, Celestia wanted the best for her citizens. The last she saw of her old friend since leaving Equestria was right before Celestia told Sunset about a special surprise she had waiting for her. She told Twilight all about it, and was super curious. Sunset forgot all about it when she left.

It didn't matter now, Sunset got back up and shook her head. She picked herself up and put everything behind her.

"I'm strong now. I'm new. I can face what's going to happen." The orange pony reassured herself. A bright light began to envelop her surroundings. She was nearly blinded, and closed her eyes tightly. She couldn't do anything, so she ran. She kept on running until no more pain remained in her eyes. When she opened them again, she was sitting right in front of four ponies. Only two she recognized.

"Hi!" the lavender one waved.

"Wow, that's what she looked like, huh?" a pink one laughed jokingly.

"Greetings from Equestria, or should I say, your old home?" a dark blue one smiled.

"Welcome back Sunset, we've been expecting you."