• Published 24th Nov 2014
  • 1,901 Views, 99 Comments

All I Really Want For Hearths Warming... - Ugly-Duckling123



We get a little look at what a certain orange filly wants for Hearths Warming

  • ...
9
 99
 1,901

Chap 2

Rainbow Dash was on one of her napping clouds when she was woken up by all the shouting coming out of the ground floor window of the building she was floating over.

At first she was confused, mostly because Hearths Warming was meant to be a peaceful and loving time. Then she was even more surprised when Scootaloo jumped out of the same window went round the back of the building then came back out with a bag on her back and her scooter and zipped off.

Having no idea what was going on but seeing the filly she thought of as a sister upset, Rainbow flew after her, keeping her distance in case she still had some spark inside of her.

~~*~~

Down on the ground Scootaloo had finally come to a stop at the cliff edge that overlooked the whole of Ponyville.

Gently placing down her scooter and unpacking a blanket from her bag Scootaloo and curled up into a tight ball to spend the night there. She was just about to fall asleep, when she heard wings.

"You camping out tonight then Squirt?" a voice that she didn't really want to hear at the moment asked.

"Please just go away Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo said pulling her blanket over her head trying to quiet her tears.

"Kid, even though it's none of my business," Rainbow said coming over and lying down next to her "There's something bothering you, and I intend to stay here with you until you tell me. Or until morning at least when I have to go to work." She said getting comfy knowing how stubborn an upset Scootaloo can be.

After a while of Rainbow Dash looking up at Luna's stars, every so often turning her head towards the small lump next to her, a small voice asked...

"Did you always get what you wanted for Hearths Warming Rainbow Dash?"

"And she speaks," Rainbow said joking as Scootaloo came out from under her blanket. "But getting to your question Squirt, no not always. It may have been because somehow I always ended up on Santa's naughty list, or I had to work for the gift I wanted, or maybe even it wasn't a put-in-a-box gift I don't know," Rainbow said shrugging looking up to the sky towards Cloudsdale "But even Santa Hooves has limits on what he can and can not do Squirt. Who knows? It might even be my letters to him got lost in the mail."

"What did you ask for, the year you didn't get what you wanted?" Scootaloo asked not sure she should be treading here.

"To have every single Wonderbolt thing ever made," Rainbow said smiling remembering "All the toys, blankets, bed sheets, lunch boxes, costumes, picture puzzles, brain teaser books, board games with them as the theme, and stories."

"What you get instead?"

"A ticket to their Hearths Warming flight show and a note saying 'Hope this will do, Happy Hearths Warming, Santa Hooves'." Rainbow answered her. "But Hearths Warming is not the time to receive, Scoots... It's a time to give. It's always better to give than it is to receive, because then you give that pony the knowledge that you're their friends because you brought them something, and you get that warm fuzzy feeling inside you when you see their smiles because of it. Plus it was an awesome show." she said breaking the spell that was cast over Scootaloo making her listen.

"Does giving up your free time to take colts and fillies to the toy store to see Santa count as 'giving' Rainbow?" Scootaloo asked being careful with what she said not really wanting to let Rainbow know she lived in an orphanage.

"Well lets see..." Rainbow said spinning to her stomach to look at Scootaloo in the eye. "Are those colts and fillies happy and thankful that you've done this for them?"

Nod.

"Do they see you as a good friend because of this?"

Nod.

"Do you get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside you when you see their happy faces as their waiting to see and after they've seen Santa?"

"Not at first, but I started to feel something yesterday." Scootaloo admitted "Might be all those 'Thank you' presents though." she said thinking.

"Thank you presents?" Rainbow said questioningly.

"Well when they come out, all of them always have two 'From Santa' presents with them, saying that they told Santa that the pony they came with is waiting outside for them, see. And him being the... the..." she said looking up to Rainbow unsure if she should say what she was thinking. "Being the pony he is lets them take two gifts so I can have one too. But I don't think he knows it's the same pony. I... I don't go in with them see?"

"How many of these gifts do you have Scoots?" Rainbow asked.

"If everypony has forgiven me and or erased what I screamed earlier tonight out of their heads, by Hearths Warming I should have twelve. For some reason Mr. Crinkle wont let them come out all at once, and since their so young they need someone to take them. But since the helpers are too busy with that toy drive, I'm the only one left they can ask."

Mr. Crinkle? As in the Stallion who runs the orphanage? Rainbow thought confused Why would Scoots have him in her back story?

"At the moment I have seven, just pushed to the back corner of my room, waiting till Hearths Warming." Scootaloo said sighing curling up again.

"Something tells me you don't want these gifts. Do ya Scoots?" Rainbow said wrapping her tail around Scootaloo and placing a wing over the filly as well.

"Not really," Scootaloo said "But I also don't want to upset them by not taking them, you know?"

"Scoots, remember what Fluttershy learnt with the Breezies? Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind..." Rainbow said thinking she should see Mr. Crinkle within the next few days to see what his connection with Scootaloo was.

"Yeah," Scootaloo said slowly. "But how can you be cruel to three to six year old kids by saying you don't want their gift?"

"Good point," Rainbow admitted thoughtfully. "How about you either give them back and tell Santa about this misunderstanding? Or you place them into the toy drive?"

"Then they'll get upset that I don't have anything for Hearths Warming and get more," Scootaloo said snuggling up to Rainbow, closing her eyes.

"We still have five more days Scoots. I'm sure you can think of what to do by then." Rainbow said, but all she got in response was a light snoring coming from beside her.

Smiling a bit more and curling up tighter Rainbow closed her eyes and fell asleep herself.