• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 868 Views, 6 Comments

Rainbooms Rock! - ytsebrony20



Sunset Shimmer becomes the new lead singer of The Rainbooms, but tension ensues when Rainbow Dash displays her not so quiet displeasure.

  • ...
3
 6
 868

Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE:

It was 3:00 after class at Canterlot High. The members of the Rainbooms were gathered in the music room, about to rehearse Sunset’s first singing part. The faint sound of Lyra practicing the piano in the neighboring room could be heard as the crew readied their instruments.

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” Applejack asked.

Sunset nodded. “Count us in Pinkie Pie!”

Pinkie clicked her sticks in time, “One! Two! One Two Three Four!”

The next three minutes were filled with catchy guitar riffs, Sunset singing and Rainbow Dash harmonizing, and a shining moment for each member. Before the last chorus, the Equestrian Magic was taking effect and their ears turned into pony ears and their ponytails grew really long. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy even grew wings. On the final riff, their ears, tails, and wings disappeared again.

“That sounded awesome, you guys!” Rainbow cheered. “But I couldn’t hear the bass at all. What’s up Applejack?”

“Sorry, Dash. Must be a bum cord. Let’s see if I can wrangle another one.” Applejack coiled up the damaged cord and went back into storage to look for a fresh one.

In the down time, Sunset asked, “So, how did I do?”

“Oh,” Fluttershy spoke up, “I thought you sounded wonderful.”

Rarity nodded in agreement. “Indeed. I too would soon compare your voice to the finest diamond I have in my shop!” Sunset blushed but smiled. “Oh!” she continued, “That just gave me an idea for our next show! Do you mind sequins?”

Sunset didn’t really care how she looked on stage, but decided to humor Rarity anyway. “Not at all. Whatever you decide is best.”

Applejack came back with a new chord. “I don’t want to be too picky, but since I couldn’t hear my own instrument, I was listenin’ to y’all and, Rainbow, your guitar solo is starting to cut into the last chorus.”

“So?” asked Rainbow, throwing her hands up.

“So,” Applejack continued, “The lyrics in this song are very important. And with the guitar solo running into the chorus like that, the audience won’t be able to hear a darn thing Sunset’s singing.”

“Psh. They already heard the chorus 2 times by now. It’s not that big of a deal.”

“Whatever you say Rainbow.” Applejack frowned. Since Sunset became lead vocalist, Rainbow Dash receded into pouring all her “awesomeness” into her guitar. The guitar can bring a lot of flavor to a song but Rainbow’s lengthy guitar solos were starting to overstay their welcome.

“So now that we got the right bass cord,” Pinkie hit her snare twice and crashed the symbol, “Hehe, ‘bass chord.’ Shall we run through it one more time?”

They all agreed.

This time, when it was Rainbow’s turn for the solo, she was running through her regular routine, but remembered what Applejack had said about it running into the solo, so she cut it short. But… it didn’t sound right. It sounded, unfinished. Unsatisfied, she tried to fill in the little gaps in between the chorus with short flourishes. That outta even things out.

When it was done, they all smiled; all except for Applejack.

“Rainbow, what was that?! I thought I told you you need to cut back on the soloin’!”

“I did! I cut the solo out right before the chorus. Just like you asked!”

“Yes, but what was all of that riffin’ and scufflin’?”

“I thought the chorus could use a little… spicing up. I didn’t cover any of Sunset’s singing.”

Sunset, noticing how she was right in between Dash and Applejack, backed away carefully.

“What you call ‘spicing up’,” Applejack continued, “I call distractin’.”

“Well fine! If you don’t like how I play,” she pulled the strap over her head, “then YOU play guitar!”

“I can’t, I play bass.”

“Fine, then I’ll take the bass.”

Applejack was reluctant to hand over the bass she had played since she was small. But she gave in. “Fine!” she grabbed the guitar and handed the bass over.

Fluttershy whispered to Sunset, Pinkie and Rarity, “I thought we all sounded pretty good. I liked those little, hmm, ‘spices.’”

“Yeah,” Rarity confirmed. “I wonder why those two are always going at it like this. It’s very uncivilized.”

“Being in a band is supposed to be fun. But those two are making it really hard for the rest of us,” Pinkie added.

Sunset hung her head. “I can’t help feeling that I’m somewhat responsible for this.”

“How so, darling?”

“Well, you see. Rainbow Dash used to be the face of the band. Lead singer, lead guitarist, lead-er. But now I come in and… mess everything up.”

“It’s not your fault.” Fluttershy put a sympathetic hand on her arm. “Rainbow Dash just isn’t used to accommodating new members into the band. Like, when I was starting off…” She was abruptly cut off by Rainbow.

“Fine! Are we doing this or not?”

Hesitantly, Pinkie counted in.

This time around didn’t sound bad. But with Applejack and Rainbow Dash on the wrong instruments, there was bound to be a few mistakes.

“Ugh. I don’t like this. The strings are too thick. I can barely even pluck them!”

“Agree to tone down to soloin’ and I’ll give you back your guitar.” Applejack held it out teasingly.

Rainbow grimaced, but handed over the bass in return for her guitar once again.

“Ready to go one more time?”

“Umm, actually…” Fluttershy pointed to the clock. It was 5:00 already. They had been fighting so long there was barely any time to practice.

“Alright,” Rainbow sighed, defeated. “Let’s call it a day. Let’s make sure we bring our A game tomorrow. We sounded good, but we are still far from perfect.”

“Jee, I wonder why,” Applejack said under her breath.

“Rainbooms Rock!” She yelled, punching a fist into the air. The group lazily returned it.

One by one the Rainbooms left; Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and then Sunset and Fluttershy at the caboose.

“So, you were telling me about when you came into the band?”

“Oh, yes. Well it all started when Rarity was helping me clean the hamster cage…”

The door closed, leaving Applejack, who had taken extra time to put away the cord she borrowed from storage, and to mumble about Rainbow to herself.

“…always has to be in the spotlight… …showboatin’ n’ stuff…”

“Hey there.”

“Nyaah!” Applejack jumped, dropping the cord. It uncoiled on the floor.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Lyra said. “Let me get that.”

“Sorry ‘bout the scare.” Applejack caught her breath. “I didn’t realize I wasn’t alone. Uh… you didn’t hear anything, did you?”

“Just something about Rainbow Dash and show boatin’” she said mimicking Applejack’s southern accent perfectly.

She blushed. “Oh. That.”

Lyra smiled. “Hey, don’t worry about it. Bon Bon and I sometimes fight over parts of songs too. It’s normal band stuff. But… I am concerned about one thing.”

“What’s that then?” Applejack gave a suspicious look.

“Why do you let Sunset Shimmer hang out with you guys?”

“Cause she’s our friend.” She said, taking back the coiled cord. “What’s it concerning you?”

“It’s just. I over hear you practicing and I noticed that, ever since Sunset joined the group, there’s been a lot of tension. Now I’m just saying, given Sunset’s history…”

“Look! The group fighting has nothing to do with Sunset! Rainbow Dash is too stubborn to admit that she needs to tone down the guitar and that’s final!”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you,” Lyra said, keeping her ground. “I was just concerned about the state of the band, that’s all.”

“Well. I appreciate it but don’t be.” Applejack turned to put the cord away. “And as for Sunset Shimmer. She is making a real difference in turning her life around. She has been nothing but helpful since she joined the band and even introduced us to someone with a recording studio.”

“You’re recording an album?”

“Eh… We’re getting’ there. The band is still far from perfect yet. But the point is, Sunset is helping. She’s a real good friend. Maybe you should take the time to get to know her.

“Maybe.” Lyra tried to see Sunset happy and smiling, but all she could picture was that demonic face laughing as she turned the entire school into her slaves.

“Listen, I gotta go,” Applejack said, hoisting her bass case. “Take care.”

“Sure.”

Author's Note:

I am currently working on the second chapter now. I have many ideas for this story but piecing them all together will be a bit tricky for me. I hope you like this story and will stick with me till the end. Thnk you ^^