• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 5,314 Views, 84 Comments

The Assembled Letters of Twilight Sparkle, Protégé of Emperor Discord - Caligari87



Emperor Discord sends his star pupil Twilight Sparkle to investigate a mysterious new phenomenon called "Friendship".

  • ...
14
 84
 5,314

Letter 3

Honorable Emperor Discord,

As promised, I visited the local music shop this week and met with the proprietor, Octavia. Much to my dismay, she declined my offers to demonstrate new ways of randomizing all the music books! She made the point that if they were always unorganized, then the fun of having them scattered about would quickly diminish or become expected. I am unsure how to feel about this, but it's something I will consider. Is "moderation" a principle of Chaos?

Anyway, compared to the wonderful and new strangeness we experience every day in your empire, my new “Friends” (what followers of Friendship prefer to call each other apparently) are almost distressingly normal. I try to educate them on the Magic of Chaos, but they are uninterested at best, except Pinkie. She is truly unique; I think you’d like her special brand of chaos, even if it sometimes seems geared toward unity instead of disharmony. I think her overall randomness helps to offset it; perhaps with a bit of teaching, she could become a promising student.

Still, earlier today was refreshingly out of the ordinary for these "Friends". The one named Rainbow dragged us all off to visit a “scary castle” she’d found in the woods. She said it had the frozen stone forms of the Day-Mare and Night-Mare, like the ones in our legends. Imagine my surprise when there actually were statues like she described! They were even solidly planted on the ground, and all the bricks were in the walls! In fact, the whole place was strange, and not in the wonderful chaotic way we know. The castle and surrounding forest seemed to be outside your influence. Applejack says it’s because of a tree under the castle, which grows strange gems.

To be honest, the whole place gives me the normals all over, but I’m going back tomorrow. There’s something to this Friendship thing, and I’m beginning to think that castle and these ponies are at the root of it. I’ll report soon.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle