• Published 22nd Nov 2014
  • 1,044 Views, 14 Comments

Twilight Sneaky Sneaky - gokenshadow



When her teacher unprecedentedly falls asleep in the middle of class, little Twilight decides to 'finish' a test she missed out on.

  • ...
0
 14
 1,044

The Bargain

Twilight looked at the clock on the wall for the twentieth time. It was 12:45. If she was ever gonna do the thing that she couldn’t believe she was thinking of doing, she would have to start doing it right now or she would never have enough time to accomplish it. She knew for a fact that it was technically the wrong thing to do, but a chance as mind-numbingly good as this one didn’t come along often, and technicality was irrelevant when it came to real-life morality, right? Right? Right? Right. Her face screwed up in determination.

She edged herself out of her desk and snaked her way along the floor, moving as quickly and quietly as physically possible, hoping to the moon no one would notice her absence and hoping to Celestia none of the joking ponies in the corner would make too loud a noise. They were whispering, of course, but every now and then, a slightly less mature one would slip into a tone of voice much too loud for the given situation before being scolded by several hissing whisperers.

She continued to creep along the floor, creeping past the bored pony fooling with her pencil, past the the two fillies chatting about some new toy they both bought, past that one colt with the black mane who never talked to anypony ever. She was almost there, almost.

At last, she reached the corner cabinet.

A shrill burst of laughter rang through the room for a second before being quickly silenced, making Twilight’s eyes widen.

She jerked her head back to the joking students. Three of them had shoved their hooves into a fourth’s mouth. They all apprehensively looked toward the teacher, as did Twilight. By some kind of miracle, he still snored softly at his desk, though it looked like he had shifted slightly. The colts went back to joking with each other.

Twilight let out a breath she had been holding. She didn't expect to make it this far. In fact, she didn’t expect to ever get a chance like this in the first place. Her teacher was not at all the kind of pony to fall asleep on the job. Something must’ve happened to him at home.

She looked up at the cabinet... and immediately frowned. It was much, much taller than she had anticipated. She wouldn't be able to reach the top without something to stand on.

"Curses!" she whispered, pounding the floor lightly with a hoof.

She looked around the classroom. There had to be something she could use. She looked from corner to corner to corner. Her face fell into dismay when she saw that the one and only stepping stool stood right in the corner where the group of colts continued to joke and play with each other. She sighed. She crept her way back toward them.

When she got within fifteen hoof-steps of them, she stood still. Three of them were trying desperately hard not to laugh, while the fourth was blushing like a tomato. She gulped.

Slowly, carefully, quietly, she crept past their desk. Their snorts and giggles covered the sound of her hoofsteps. She reached the edge of the room, and there it was, the step stool that was so much more than a mere step stool. The step stool that represented hope, hope that she wouldn’t have to fail, hope that she still had a chance. She grabbed it with her mouth and yanked at it.

It squeaked as it slid across the floor, making the four colts look in her direction.

“Hey, what’s the egghead doing here?” one of them said.

Twilight immediately let go of the step stool.

“Nothing.” she said, backing up.

Another colt smirked as he looked to the stool then to Twilight.

“It don’t look like nothing to me.” he said, stepping down from his chair.

“Well… “ Twilight tried to think of something to say, “...it IS nothing. I’m not doing anything, Brash.”

Brash stepped toward the stool, smirking at Twilight.

“Well then…” he said, grabbing the stool with a hoof, “You won’t be needing this, then, will you?”

He pulled it toward himself, making Twilight flinch-reach for it. He smirked.

“So, you wanna tell me what you need this for, egghead?” he said.

“Its… nothing. Just give me it.” she whispered loudly, trying to reach for it, but he pulled it away again.

“What do you need it for?” he said.

Twilight stood there, considering her options. After about half a minute, she finally sighed and lowered her head.

“I need to finish my test.” she said.

“Finish your test? You mean cheat?” he said.

“I’m not cheating!” she screamed loudly, but instantly regretted it.

They all looked toward the front of the room. The teacher snorted at his desk, and shifted his position again but remained asleep.

“I am not cheating,” Twilight repeated, quieter, “I never got to finish the test because I got sick.”


Brash ignored her statement as if it didn’t matter.

“Well, if you wanna use this thingy here to cheat,” he slid the stool slightly with a hoof, “we’re gonna need some kinda payment. Know what I’m saying?”

Twilight looked dumbfounded.

“... no… I don’t.” she said, backing up slightly.

“Well, here, let me spell it out for ya,” he said stepping toward her, “if you wanna use this stool to cheat on your test--”

“I’m not cheating, I’m finishing!”

“... whatever, if you wanna ‘finish’ your test,” he said making huge air quotes, ”you’re gonna have to ‘finish’ our tests too.”

Twilight’s eyes widened in horror.

“No… that would be really cheating.”.

“Then it looks like I can’t give you this, egghead.” he said, pulling the stool back toward himself.

Twilight stared at him. His buddies had joined him, and they were all looking at her with dangerous smirks. A moment passed. Another. Another. She looked toward the clock. Even though it was far away, she could feel the weight of each and every tick it made. She looked back at the colts. They still smirked. She gulped.

“A-alright,” she said, turning away, “I’ll help you with your tests. But we have to be quick. There’s not much time.”

“That’s more like it,” Brash said, patting her on the back; he turned to his friends, “you heard her, boys, let’s get this stool to the other side, pronto!”