• Published 21st Nov 2014
  • 1,540 Views, 26 Comments

The Republic - Mediocre Morsov



Apple Bloom and Princess Luna discover a new political philosophy that picks their spirits up. Little do they realize how much it's going to change everything.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,540

Fight or Flight

Princess Celestia woke up feeling refreshed and ready to face another day as co-ruler of her homeland. At least, that's what she had believed. The sunrise was ruined by the news sent to her immediately after by her student, Twilight Sparkle, and the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony. Several were regretful, stating that they respected and appreciated all Celestia had done for them personally and Equestria, but that they no longer recognized her as their leader. They had seceded from Equestria, along with a large portion of the heartlands of Equestria.

What made it worse was that her own sister seemed to have joined them. No, she appeared to be leading them. For a time, Celestia sat in her sister's room, awaiting her return with a calm, yet stern visage. She waited several hours until she realized that Luna wasn't going to return. Then she hit up the coffee, something she had never needed before but which now gave her an agitated energy she hadn't had in years. She strolled the great halls of the palace and came out upon the balcony where she had an unobstructed view of the mass of ponies beneath her. The majority were unicorns, students and descendants of students who had come to practice magic in Canterlot, but there were pegasi and earth ponies as well.

She eyed all of them with a neutral glare that demonstrated her utmost authority. She rarely used that look anymore, but it had the desired effect: deterring any democratic republicans in the audience while silently assuring the worried loyalists that the rumors of Luna leading secessionists would be dealt with. Straightening herself to her full, impressive height, she spoke.

"My loyal subjects," she addressed them with no small part of absolute authority and caring in equal parts, "The rumors that my sister, Princess Luna, has inspired this upstart republic in the West is true, as are the rumors that she is leading them."

A series of gasps and panicked talking rippled through the audience, exploding in questions to the Princess, but she did not answer them - yet. The only ponies who seemed unfazed by the news were the Orange family, but they were cousins of the Apple Family and likely the source of the rumors. Celestia would have called them out on a lie if she had not received reports from across Equestria, including a declaration of secession from Luna herself and a letter from Twilight insisting that Celestia intervene in Ponyville. Celestia continued.

"She has been misled by the words of long dead political theorists whose social experiments proved to be abject failures. She acts because she feels I am not privileged to hold my powers of office, powers granted to me and my lineage ages ago by the dictates of the heavens themselves!" Celestia would have gone into more detail, but didn't feel a history lesson was important at the moment, "In over a millenium of our leadership, we have been a prosperous nation. The vast majority of Equestria lives in comfort, and whatever evils rear their head are defeated before anypony suffers severe hardship. I understand that some homes and businesses are destroyed in the process, but they are quickly rebuilt and at no cost.

"Why, some may ask. Because I have established a society of peace and harmony, where one soul cares for his distant cousin. A pony in Canterlot might hear of a devestated family of strangers in Fillydelphia and would still feel inclined to help them. Yes, there are bad times under the wrathful gaze of old enemies, but we overcome them because we are united and strong. This secession threatens that unity which has made us so strong!"

A murmur of agreement and cheering swept through the audience. Celestia noticed that at least one of the ponies had one of the ancient magical cameras that had fallen out of use centuries ago and briefly wondered where they had gotten such a device. It hardly mattered - if she was being recorded and broadcast across the nation, all the better.

"I will reunite us with our misguided kinsponies." Celestia promised, "No matter what it takes, we must be joined together. We must be one Equestria, or we shall be lost."

Cheers echoed through the palace halls as Celestia walked away from the balcony, her speech finished. Even her royal guards were giving cheers and bowing as she passed, disrupting their usual stoicism. She did not mind; in fact, she drank it in. The loyalty of so many was a great reassurance to her in this time of uncertainty.

Then a chill passed through her as she heard laughter.

"Trouble in paradise, Celestia?" Discord appeared from thin air, temporarily disorienting the princess as she adjusted to his unannounced presence.

"Discord!" she shouted, then glared harshly at him, "Is all of this your doing?"

"I wish!" the Lord of Chaos laughed, "No, I didn't even know about the lost books until rumors started spreading around. When I took a look at one it absolutely bored me. What is it with you ponies trying to organize everything?"

"Why are you here if not to gloat?" Celestia asked, cautious but easing just a fraction.

"I'm just excited, is all!" Discord laughed again, "You two are going to war, and I'm not even the cause!"

"We are not going to war." Celestia stated, more as a reassurance to herself than to correct the embodiment of anarchy, "Lulu and I will talk this out and everything will go back to normal."

"You honestly believe that?" Discord challenged, "I saw Luna's acceptance speech when she was elected Premier of her new "Lunar Republic". She looked incredibly serious. Had that glint in her eye of a mare committed to something greater than herself."

"As if you would know what that looks like." Celestia could not contain a chortle of amusement.

"As a matter of fact, I do." the spirit of disharmony said, "I've seen it in Fluttershy's eyes everytime she cares for animals, and Pinkie Pie's everytime she plans a party. Heck, I've even seen it in the little runt, Spike's eyes whenever he writes down letters!"

"Alright, I get your point." Celestia conceded, "Still, why are you antagonizing me?"

"I'm not antagonizing you!" Discord seemed shock, but Celestia suspected he was mocking her, "I merely want to see how this all plays out. As you know, I have foresight over nearly all chaotic possibilities, and let me tell you - a lot of them don't end well. I may have been evil once, but even the old me wouldn't enjoy some of these outcomes."

"Is this a warning of some sort?" the Princess of Day asked sarcastically, "Or are you playing more mind games?"

"Listen, if you two don't make up, it'll end with a lot of ponies dying, and that doesn't exclude either of you." Discord was serious now, "I can't see how these things happen, but I can see a lot of misery coming out of this. Just remember to be diplomatic, is all I'm saying."

"I have nothing but diplomacy in mind." Celestia said honestly, "Luna is misguided, that is all. She tends to rush into things."

"Uh-oh. Don't start thinking like that; it's dangerous." Discord warned.

"Don't you have someone else to pester?" Celestia sighed.

"Very well. I know when I'm not wanted." the spirit of disharmony crossed his arms and pouted, "Just remember what I said."

And in an annoying flood of chocolate milk, he was gone.

*-*

Even with all of Apple Bloom's incredible help and the build-up of a rudimentary government, many things still needed to be done. There were codexes of laws that needed to be written, for one. Luna transcribed many of the laws she had committed to memory from Celestia's ruling of Equestria (which was quickly being referred to as the Old Kingdom), but many were no longer applicable and all of the hastily-appointed representatives from the new government's adopted towns had very different ideas on how the laws should be.

Luna's time was spent in tele-conferences with many of the representatives, listening as they argued their point for how laws should go for things like inheritance - which many viewed as an unfair advantage of elitists, a carry-over method from the Old Kingdom - or how to charge politicians with crimes, since royals and nobility were typically above the law or in charge of the courts in the Old Kingdom. After many hours of debate (and impassioned speeches by Luna in favor of one side or the other), the ponies were finally making progress in lawmaking. One of the biggest boons that eased the load was allowing the different towns to vote for what they wanted for most small laws that affected their areas, while big laws were decided by the representatives and Luna.

Then somepony raised a very interesting point and Luna was brought out of her boredom with this new, interesting observation.

"We don't have a capital." one of the representatives from a particularly bustling town in the heartlands stated, "I move that we vote on which town should be the nerve center of our new union!"

"Agreed!" another representative said, followed by a chorus of affirmation, "I nominate Mulchville!"

"Mulchville?!" a third representative bawked, "That ruddy little dump? I nominate New Trottington!"

"That one-horse town?" another representative snorted.

"I take offense to that." the third representative noted, clearly offended.

"Enough with the arguing, my ponies." Luna said quietly and the representatives hushed for her. Such was their respect for her, that even as she asked to be treated as equal among them, they revered her. "I have a nominee for the capital."

"Where, Madame Premier?" the first representative asked what all his partners were thinking.

"Ponyville." she answered neutrally.
"Ponyville is a disputed province." one representative noted, "It's proximity to Canterlot also makes it an incredibly... well, it's just a bad choice."

A chorus of agreements.

"It is and has always been a symbol of both the triumph of harmony and the triumph of independence." Luna explained, "From its humble beginnings mere decades ago, it has surged and exploded in industry and commerce while retaining both its small town charm and character. Its ponies are a happy, lively bunch and it embodies the very spirit of the republic."

Another chorus of agreements along with some applause. Luna briefly wondered if the representatives were genuinely swayed or just liked to agree with her.

"That raises another interesting point." a representative said, "What are we going to call ourselves? The republic is kind of bland."

"The Equestrian Republic?" one suggested.

"No. It lacks flavor..." the third representative sighed.

"If Ah could make a suggestion." Apple Bloom spoke up. She had been so silent for so long that Luna had almost forgotten the presence of her young assistant. "Ah think we should name it the Lunar Republic in honor a' Premier Luna, the mare who brought us the idea in the first place."

"As usual, Apple Bloom, you make a great point." the first representative grinned, "So it's settled? All in favor of calling ourselves the Lunar Republic?"

"Aye!" everypony said in tandum.

"And against?"

Not a single neigh.

"Then it is unanimous." Luna smiled, "You do me a great honor, my ponies."

"It's nothin', Madame Premier." the filly said, "Besides, it goes with the flag Ah made that we've been usin'."

"I move we break here for today." the first representative suggested, "We've covered a lot of ground today."

"Agreed." the second representative said, shortly followed by the others.

Luna left with Apple Bloom in tow, off to enjoy a rare moment of free time to reflect on how fast they were establishing the Lunar Republic. It was impressive how developed they were in so short a time period. Luna herself found it difficult to believe. After all, even the founders of such ideals confessed to the burdensome problems with running a government where everypony had a say. Then again, Luna reminded herself, ponies were far more open-minded and tolerant nowadays than hundreds of years ago.

"We sure got a lot done today, right Luna?" Apple Bloom asked.

"We certainly did." Luna nodded, "Still, one thing troubles me."

"What's that?"

"Ponyville."

The town was neutral. Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Twilight were rallying against secession along with a large portion of the townsponies. Luna desperately wanted it to be the capital for the Lunar Republic - it was a perfect candidate, after all. The town was technically in the hoofs of Mayor Mare, but her powers of office were coming into question ever since ponies began to wonder as to when she was last elected; mayor was an elected office, wasn't it? Even with the mayor out, Twilight was technically the leading authority in Ponyville, and yet none of the democratic republicans acknowledged her status as Princess. No, the town was torn between those behind Luna and those behind Celestia, Twilight and Mayor Mare.

Luna assured herself the situation would be resolved in time if both sides could sit down and talk it out. Twilight was a rational mare; she would see reason and come to admire - maybe even support - the Lunar Republic. Yes, everything would go swimmingly. Why, the Lunar Republic and the Old Kingdom could even be partners, trading agricultural goods for industrial goods. They could coexist in harmony, and ponies could choose whether to live in the Lunar Republic or under the rule of Celestia and all would be good.

"Madame Premier!" a member of Luna's Royal Guard - now Republican Guard galloped towards her, stopping and saluting before continuing, "It's Princess Celestia! She requests an audience with you at once!"

"Come Apple Bloom." Luna said, all but devoid of emotion, "Let us see what my sister has to say."

*-*

If the tension in the air were material in anyway, Apple Bloom was certain she could cut it with a knife. It wasn't just between Luna and Celestia, either; Applejack and Rainbow Dash, and Rarity and Sweetie Belle all seemed to be holding a grudge. In fact, the only pony who seemed as uncomfortable as Apple Bloom was Twilight, standing ever faithfully at her mentor's side, the mirror of Apple Bloom in many respects.

"You will stop this now, sister." Celestia commanded, her tone brooking no argument.

"I will do no such thing." Luna stated with the utmost civility, "To do so would be treason to the republic."

"And to rebel is treason to both Equestria and the throne!" Celestia shot back.

"You betrayed our trust." Luna stated quietly.

The room grew disturbingly cold at the comment and Apple Bloom could see the look on her own sister's face. It was the dishonesty and shadow games Celestia had played with them for so long that had really hurt Applejack. After all, to withhold information ponies had a right to know was bad enough in of itself, but it was also a statement that Celestia questioned the trustworthiness of everypony, including Applejack. Celestia symply didn't trust them. The ponies on Celestia's side were visibly outraged by the remark, save Scootaloo who carried on equally stoic and reluctant.

"Princess Luna-" Celestia began, but her younger sister cut her off.

"Premier Luna." she demanded, "I am the elected leader of the Lunar Republic; not a tyrant born into office."

"Where is this coming from all of a sudden?" Celestia gasped, "Millenia ago, you betrayed me and our ideals of unity, and now - after I have forgiven you, no less - you do it all over again?"

"I do not betray our ideals of unity, sister!" Luna stomped a hoof down in defiance, "I stand for it! What is more harmonious than ponies coming together and electing their leaders? what is more unifying than all of Equestria coming under the banner of oneness that is democracy? I do not champion unity above all else, as you do my dear sister, but also the ideals of truth and freedom!"

"Truth and freedom?" Celestia's brow twitched, "What truth do you offer that I do not? What freedom do you grant that nopony has been given under my reign?"

"I do not hide knowledge from our ponies because I fear they will throw me out of office." Luna challenged, "Nor do I forbid the power of voting on important issues from the common pony. They deserve a voice in their governing."

"We can compromise." Celestia began, "Surely if they create a forum to voice their opinions-"

"Compromise?" Luna scoffed, "A thousand compromises will never give us the victory we want - the victory all of Equestria deserves!"

"Hear, hear!" Applejack let out a whistle, quickly joined by a cheering Pinkie Pie. Even Fluttershy gave a small "yay".

"This is treason!" Twilight gasped, "Princess Luna, surely you realize how dangerous all of this is? Applejack? Pinkie Pie? Fluttershy?"

"Sorry Twi, but Celestia has been lyin' ta us fer too long." Applejack frowned.

"And, I'm sorry if this isn't alright with you, but the idea of a government run by all life in Equestria for the benefit of all life in Equestria just sounds too good to pass up." Fluttershy said, quietly.

"And just imagine all the political parties!" Pinkie laughed.

"Luna, if we don't come to a compromise, then I fear Discord's premonitions might unfold." Celestia warned.

"Discord?" the Princess of the Night gasped, "He's been talking to you?"

"Yes..?" Celestia quirked an eyebrow, "Why do you ask?"

"No reason." Luna furrowed her brow, "What did he say?"

"He told me that if you do not cease this foolishness, very bad things would unfold." Celestia stated.

"I call shenanigans." Pinkie Pie said.

"I agree; Discord confides everything in me and he has never mentioned anything bad happening because of Luna's republic idea." Fluttershy said.

"Perhaps he was trying to protect you, darling." Rarity chimed in, "After all, you don't take bad news well."

"Whatever the future holds, we will weather it in solidarity." Luna affirmed, "Ponykind will be free from tyrrany."

"I can't let you do that, Luna." Celestia said softly, "Guards! Arrest these traitors, gently."

"Hay no, ya don't!" Applejack hollered, getting between Luna and the approaching guards. Luna's own guards were by her side.

"Princess! Isn't this a little unnecessary?" Twilight asked.

"They simply won't see reason, dear." Rarity sighed.

"A few nights in a cell will cool their heads down," Rainbow shrugged, "Then maybe they'll listen."

"Then maybe you should try it!" Pinkie blurted, followed by agreements from the republicans.

"Enough of this!" Celestia bellowed, "Guards! Restrain them!"

"Over mah dead body!" Applejack turned and bucked one of the approaching guards away from them. He tumbled backwards, collapsing at the hooves of the princess. "Premier! Take Apple Bloom an' git! We'll hold off these flashy guadsponies!"

"This way, Apple Bloom!" Luna levitated the young filly and her friend, Sweetie Belle, before either could protest.

"But mah sister!"

"There's nothing we can do now, Apple Bloom." Sweetie said with a sigh.

The rest of their flight was in silence.

Author's Note:

Title from Golden Snowflake