• Published 22nd Nov 2014
  • 2,078 Views, 72 Comments

Run - MonkeyNinja



Jackson struggles to protect his sister in the land of Equestria. A slightly more realistic take on the Human in Equestria Story Concept.

  • ...
19
 72
 2,078

Stress

I awoke that fateful morning to Spike's shouting. The sun squeezed through the gaps between my hooves and bore into my eyelids. With a groan, I rolled over and hopped off of the silk linens.

I still wasn't used to having my own personal wing, let alone living in a castle.

The little dragon's voice reverberated throughout the castle walls.

"Twilight! Twilight wake up! You really need to see this!" Came his small but incessant cries. I merely sighed, and opened the door to go see what the ruckus was all about. I got a muzzle full of scales for my troubles.

"Oof! Sorry Twilight, but this looks reeeeally important!" He babbled, handing me a scroll. I was about to scold him for running into me, when I noticed the small ribbon tied around the center of the parchment. A single strip of jet black silk.

In an instant, the paper was torn from his tiny claws and unrolled in front of me.

"My faithful student, Twilight Sparkle,

I have felt something happen. I am not entirely sure how I can best convey my feelings on the matter. I have felt this feeling once before, and it was no pleasant experience. All I will tell you is that something is coming. I have had a vision of three conscious minds entering Equestria, one not far from your castle. Be careful my student. If I am correct, these creatures have the potential to either bring much joy, or great destruction in their wake. I have already alerted Princess Cadence and Discord, as well as several other political figures from the lands beyond. I will be sending you a package to help further your knowledge of these beings. However, for now I will need you to keep everypony indoors and prevent panic from spreading.

P.S. Twilight... Be safe my dear.

Yours truly,

Princess Celestia

I blinked, barely comprehending what I had just read. A black ribbon message, creatures that could bring destruction, the contacting of all major powers in Equestria... What scared me worst was the manner in which Celestia had written the letter. It was rushed. Not at all like her previous responses to my reports. And the way she addressed me... Never once had she called me "her dear" before.

Something had terrified the princess herself. That was more than enough to worry me.

"Spike!" I shouted although he hadn't left my side, "Take a letter!". Tiny claws fumbled out rolls of parchment from the bookshelf as I plucked a violet feather to give him.

"Dear Princess Celestia,

Your message has been received and understood. Whatever is coming, Ponyville will be prepared. I will personally oversee the protection of the town and its ponies. I await your package, and pray for the best.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle"

What could possibly have happened?! My mentor, her highness herself, was scared of something?! Something was very, very wrong.

In an instant, I found myself galloping through the halls, a shaking dragon clinging to my mane.

"What's... Happening... Twilight?" He squeaked between gasps, "I thought... I thought she only sent black ribbons... If it was an emergency."

"THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!" I snapped, "we need to get all of Ponyville indoors, now!"

We had reached the main hall, and I was poised to ram the door open. However, just as I approached the entrance, the double doors swung open. There was a moment of silence as I tumbled out over the front steps, then came the splat. What a wonderful thing it was to have a nice round mud puddle right outside my front door.

"A thousand pardons your highness!" said a deep familiar voice.

"Hello Bernard," I groaned, rising to my hooves and shaking myself off, "Tavros, nice to see you as well. What's the occasion?"

"Princess Celestia hasn't been herself lately," the soldier explained, "She said that the Canterlot delivery service wasn't secure enough, so she asked the royal guard to personally fly this to you". It was then that he lifted his wing to reveal a stack of books bound with enchanted thread. "She said you needed to receive them ASAP".

"Thank you two very much for your services. You may return to the castle".

"Not at all," they said in perfect synchronization before taking to the skies.


Ten minutes later, Spike had been sent to secure the population in their respective homes. I on the other hoof,was left to ponder the pile of mysterious books.

'Mythical Creatures of Ancient Times', 'The Monster Book of Monsters', 'Close Encounters with Deadly Beasts' , and something called a 'Bible'. There was also one other book in the package. One that sent shivers up my spine. That one, I decided to save for later.

After all the pondering I could manage, it just didn't make sense! The titles were all either superstition, or completely foreign to me! With a cry of frustration, I tossed the pipe down the hall and into my bedroom with masterful arcane dexterity. I was just about to lose it, when came a loud knock.

"I'm coming!" I sighed, trotting over to door. Immediately after opening it, my ears flattened against my skull. Rage built within my chest as half the town of Ponyville stood before me.

"SPIKE!!!"


-