• Published 9th Nov 2014
  • 8,915 Views, 307 Comments

The Legend of Sunset Shimmer: Ocarina of Time - Ganondorf8



Sunset Shimmer was simply enjoying a night indoors with her friends, but the magical energies of the human world which clashed in Rainbow Rocks has caused something unexpected to happen.

  • ...
28
 307
 8,915

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 44: Re-visiting the Past

Author's Note:

Disclaimer: I do not own anything regarding the Legend of Zelda, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks. These are the properties of Nintendo and Hasbro respectively.

Sunset Shimmer gets the Kokiri Sword....about seven years too late, or would that be too early?

Cast appearing in this chapter.

Sunset Shimmer - Link
Spike - Navi the Fairy
Twilight Sparkle - Zelda
Applejack - Impa
Rainbow Dash - Nabooru
Discord - Guru-Guru
Spitfire - Spitfire, loyal follower of Ganondorf

The Legend of Sunset Shimmer: Ocarina of Time.
By Ganondorf8
February 22, 2015
Chapter 44: Re-visiting the Past.

" I had a feeling you were going to suggest going back to the Kokiri Forest," said Spike.

" It's where this journey first started, so I figured if I were to go back somewhere that I've already been to before, it might as well be the forest as it's the most familiar to me. We won't be staying there for very long though as I don't think there are many secrets," I said.

" Well, there is the Kokiri Sword which I strongly recommend you pick up because you don't want to experience what you had to deal with again just like when you faced Dead Hand, and there are some patches of soft soil to be found in the forest in addition to the Lost Woods. Aside from that, there really isn't anything else for you to find with the weapons that you have, and none of the songs you have received for the Ocarina of Time will reveal anything," said Spike.

" What about talking to people?" I asked.

" In this time, the events that we've seen in the future haven't happened yet, so you're going to be treated the same as you were before pulling the Master Sword. A word of advice is to not mention anything about what happens as that would give off a really bad impression. It also means keeping those medallions hidden at all times for they are items from the future which don't exist here yet," said Spike.

" Before we even go to the forest, I first need to run some ideas in my head about which places we're going back to check out. I'd say that we'll be able to visit three locations again until we have to return to the future, so which places would be the best ones to visit? The forest is definitely a must as I need that sword in case I have to come back to the past again," I said.

In truth, I really wanted to visit all of the locations I've been to, but I knew Applejack needed my help in the Shadow Temple, and I wasn't about to leave a friend to deal with the horrors that lurk in that place. Just thinking of putting my own needs ahead of a friend's due to wanting to backtrack made me feel like some kind of hypocrite as I wanted to do one thing, and should be doing something else.

That's when I realized Spike mentioned the soft soil, and that I had some Magic Beans on my person which I need to plant. This changes everything as there were places all over Hyrule where they needed to be planted. " We need to use the Magic Beans, but how am I supposed to travel about without a horse, and with the limited amount of time that I have?"

" You have the warp songs which Sheik has been teaching you, so you can use those to warp around which actually would be the way to go. Walking around is going to take a long time, and have you forgotten what happens at night when the sun goes down in this time period?" asked Spike.

" Those Stalchildren are back again?" I asked.

" From our perspective that would be the case as it's been years since we last saw them, but from the perspective of time itself, they haven't gone anywhere as the evil has yet to cover the land in darkness. We're not that far from the Kokiri Forest anyway, so you can just walk over there, but I hope that you aren't afraid of the Stalchildren. After all, you've had to fight much worse monsters than them, although you have done your best to avoid them in the past," replied Spike.

" I have no intention of running away as I can just use my magic to destroy them, and it's not like I'm going to spend the entire night blasting away at countless bags of bones given that we're once again in a race against time. I'm just surprised that my nerves haven't shattered to pieces because of all this pressure I've been given, but then such things are nothing compared to what I experienced back in the human world," I said.

With the decision to go around and plant all of the Magic Beans, I began to make my way to the forest as the sun was just starting to go down past the horizon, and as soon as the moon began to rise, the Stalchildren started to pop out of the ground in droves. They noticed me almost straight away, and proceeded to follow, but I wasn't about to let them catch up unless they decided to rise up in front of me.

Elsewhere, Applejack was having a conversation with the man I know as Discord even though Guru-Guru is his real name, and it was quite the lopsided talk in that Discord was giving her quite the run-around. The problem was talking to him about was regarding as to whether her plan had been discovered due to what she had been told prior.

" Oh ho! If it isn't Lady Impa! It's been far too long since your last visit, yet it feels like you were here the other day," said Discord.

" Guru-Guru? What has happened to you? Why are you acting in such a baffling manner as this?" asked Applejack.

" You mean my erratic behaviour? About several hours ago, I was having a lot of fun being happy and trying to come up with a musical theme for this windmill. Everything was just going smoothly until my life was changed when someone came in here, and decided to drain the water from the well. I had no idea that I had all of this chaotic energy stuck inside of me, but now I feel relieved knowing that I can finally embrace it without having to hold back," replied Discord.

" So someone did come here before I did," said Applejack.

" That they did and they intended on draining the well," said Discord.

" My plan to come here and cast the sealing spell has indeed been compromised much to my dismay, but how was it uncovered so quickly and without my knowledge? Is it possible that someone in the village is one of Ganondorf's followers, and drained the water as a means of slowing down or even preventing my plan?

No, that would be impossible as no one in this village would ever serve him. All those of Kakariko swore their loyalty to the royal family, and they still do even though his life has been lost. Guru-Guru, do you know who came here before me?" asked Applejack.

" To think that I could have spent the next several years living out a lie," replied Discord.

" Guru-Guru!!!!" shouted Applejack.

" No need for you to shout Lady Impa as I know you're standing there although you could stand over there if you want. Yes, why not do that instead as it might make you feel a lot better," said Discord.

" Please stop with that incessant babbling, and answer my question! Do you know who came here?" asked Applejack.

" You should take a vacation one of these days as you look like you're getting really wound up, but I do know who paid me a visit although I never did ask for her name. She was such a small girl who wore strange clothes, and was accompanied by a magical creature. I do seem to recall her playing an instrument....an ocarina....and played a strange song which caused it to rain, and then the windmill began to increase in speed until it was going so fast that not even I could follow its movement.

Such actions from this girl caused the water to drain in the well, and then she left without saying another word. That song is one that I will never forget because it has ruined this gorgeous apparatus forever," replied Discord.

" That does not exactly narrow it down to a specific person," said Applejack.

" She wasn't what I'd call specific," began Discord.

" What does that mean?" asked Applejack.

" The girl came here to obtain the eye of truth hidden beneath the well because of the power that it possessed. Surely, you of all people haven't forgotten the story of what the owner of that magical artefact decided to do, for you were there when it happened Lady Impa. In fact, you were one of the few who was against the idea," replied Discord.

" Am I to assume that this girl has acquired the item?" asked Applejack.

" Many have tried to claim it over the years, and all of them have succumbed to such nasty fates in that complex. This girl on the other hand was different in that she had a determination in her eyes. She intended on getting the eye of truth for herself, and I wouldn't be surprised if she managed to succeed. Who knows if she did or not for it's been a while since I've seen her," replied Discord.

" Whoever she is, her punishment will be most severe for choosing to interfere in the plans of a Sheikah. At the same time however, she did do me a favour by draining away the water which was the reason I came here in the first place. The water needed to be removed in order for the sealing spell to be cast, and I was ready to listen to you attempt to make me change my mind," said Applejack.

" Yet, you still want to know who did it?" asked Discord.

" I have a suspicion as to the identity of this girl, but why would she choose to come here? I suppose that there is no point in trying to figure things out, for the girl has already gone, and I would be wasting my efforts trying to find her," replied Applejack. She then began to pace about back and forth wondering about who could have done her anointed task without even realizing it. Deep down in her mind, she suspected I was the one who drained the water, and that is the truth because I needed to in order to get the Lens of Truth.

It was necessary to acquire the lens to be able to explore the Shadow Temple, and I needed all of the help I could get when it came to going through a dungeon which reeks of the undead. Speaking of the undead, I was having my hands full dealing with an endless swarm of Stalchildren on my way to Kokiri Forest. When one was destroyed, another immediately takes its place.

" How many have I destroyed now?" I asked.

" That should be your 36th one now within the last five minutes," replied Spike.

" And this is going to last until the sun comes up?" I asked.

" Stalchildren are very persistent and will never stop hounding travellers who cross Hyrule Field at night. This is why only the bravest and foolhardy choose to come out here when the sun goes down, for most aren't warriors but rather regular people. If it's any consolation for you, the entrance to the Kokiri Forest is just over there down that pathway, so you don't have much further to go," replied Spike.

" While my magic has been able to take care of these things, I am starting to get a little tired and I need to conserve my power before I end up being unable to use it, and you should remember what happened during that time back in Dodongo's Cavern," I said.

" I never would have guessed back then that your magic had a limited amount of use," said Spike.

" Oh I have an infinite amount due to being a unicorn of Equestria, but I can only use it for so long until I get exhausted. The kind of magic that I can use naturally takes a lot of effort to be able to cast it, so I need to maintain as much strength as possible. Using my magic too much at once is never a good thing, but I'm not as nervous about it as I used to be.

Even if I were unable to use my natural abilities for a lengthy period, I have enough confidence in my skills to use the weapons I've picked up in the dungeons....well....as much confidence as I can muster up," I said.

" Want to make a run for it?" asked Spike.

" I hoped you'd never ask," I replied. With that, I began to run in the direction of the forest entrance, and that meant having to bowl my way through the Stalchildren who were blocking my path. As I knocked several of them over using my own body, they shattered to pieces although this didn't really mean anything given that more of them continued to pop up from the ground in an endless stream.

Once I had reached the entrance and entered the sanctity of the forest, I found myself surrounded by the familiar trees despite it being shrouded in the darkness of the night. This was actually a good thing as I didn't want to encounter the Kokiri, for they would most likely question if I managed to leave the forest or not, and I was running on borrowed time.

Entering the village itself, I was relieved to see that no one was outside, so that meant they were asleep in their homes, but I needed to make sure of it, so I slowly walked over to the nearest house, and looked in the front door. This house happened to belong to Diamond Tiara which gave me mixed feelings, yet there she was asleep in her bed, so my suspicions were correct.

In the past she was someone who tormented me, but in the future she ended up changing her ways and started to respect me. This made me feel conflicted as I wanted to be furious with her, but at the same time feel sorry that it took her an actual crisis to come to the realization of her actions against me and everyone else.

" You do know that you could be labelled as a peeping tom right?" asked Spike.

" I needed to make sure everyone was asleep as I want to complete my errands here without being slowed down. First of all, where is the soft soil located? I haven't forgotten how you said I wasted my rupees on buying all of them for such ridiculous prices. There is potential hidden in these little fellows, and my senses when it comes to magic are spot on," I replied.

" If I remember correctly, the location of the soft soil should be to the left of the pathway that leads to the Great Deku Tree's Meadow," said Spike.

" That seems quite out in the open," I said.

" None of the Kokiri ever really took notice of it as they aren't very good when it comes to gardening. Once you've gone and planted that bean, allow me to guide you to the location of the Kokiri Sword as it's about time that you claim it," said Spike. It didn't take long for me to find the location of the soft soil, and seeing what it looked like made me think how something could sprout out of such a small space.

Taking out one of the Magic Beans from my pocket, I dug a small hole and planted it before covering it back up. A few moments later and the bean began to sprout which looked really cute, but then I was expecting it to grow immediately so that it could be used.

" How long do you think it will take for it to bloom?" I asked.

" About seven years in the natural sense, but in our case it will probably be something like five minutes because of going back to the future in an instant when you draw the Master Sword," replied Spike.

" Even if I don't end up coming back to the forest again, I feel happy knowing that I planted this Magic Bean. To me, it's like I'm giving something back to nature even if it is a magical gift, but I'm sure nature won't mind. Now that I've done this little task, why don't we go and find this Kokiri Sword you say that I need. I'll admit that I should have picked up before leaving the forest initially, but back then I was under the impression that I didn't need to go get it," I said.

" You can blame Mido for that," moaned Spike.

" She just wanted to see me fail because of the supposed jealously she was feeling towards me. I should have just ignored her tormenting, and headed back to claim the sword rather than choosing to keep going. Even the Great Deku Tree felt skeptical of my desire to break the curse he had with just using my magic, and having no means of protecting myself. While I did manage to prove him wrong, it wasn't the way it was supposed to have worked," I said.

" It took you a long time to admit that you needed to use a sword," said Spike.

" Hyrule is just so dangerous what with all of the monsters that lurk around the dungeons," I said.

" Those creatures never leave such places because they are commanded by the strongest of evils to remain where they are, and to make sure that everything is guarded fully. Most people have probably never even seen what you've experienced, so you can say that you've seen things that would make people feel glad that they don't have to do anything similar. In fact, the only monsters the common folk encounter during a given day would be the Stalchildren," said Spike.

" And the need for swords?" I asked.

" Most prefer to carry around a sword to give off a sense of self-defence. Only a few individuals have gone on to become adventurers while the rest choose to stick to their comfort zone which is restricted to their own home town. As the one destined to save Hyrule, you needed a sword so that you could have an easy time dealing with so much in the way of trouble, yet you unintentionally chose to make things harder for yourself.

Your successes thus far are by no means a fluke, for you gave it your very all to overcome the odds even if some of them were the result of you transforming. But, you could have done a lot better had you been wielding a sword in this time period, or using the Master Sword properly in the future," replied Spike.

" Like I've said before, I'm not the kind of hero people expect me to be," I said.

" That's because you're different, and it makes you hard to figure out as our enemies expect something more. Anyway, why don't we talk more about all of this later, and get the Kokiri Sword from its hiding place. Follow me Sunset Shimmer, and make sure to keep quiet by not making any kind of sound. You did say you don't want to talk to anyone in fear of being delayed, so now you need to back up your words," said Spike.

He then began to float ahead as a means of guiding me to where I needed to go, but I couldn't help but feel that he just poked fun at me for wanting to take a more safer approach. This did give me a chance to see the one part of the forest that I didn't get to see before, and it lead to a small fenced area which looked like it was made for sparring sessions; that or provide information given how there were signs located all over the place.

" What's the deal with this area?" I asked.

" This is where you can practice all of the different moves at your disposal," replied Spike.

" Kind of a pointless place now if you ask me," I said.

" At this point, it would be just that because you know what you're capable of, but had you chosen to make your way up here, then you would have been taught the basics of combat whether you had a sword or not. There is one among the Kokiri who loves combat despite the fact that he has never actually done anything of the sort in his life, so he teaches anyone who is interested here," said Spike.

" Who has shown interest?" I asked.

" No one because the Kokiri are about having fun, and not needing to fight in order to solve a problem. Do you see that rock over there?" asked Spike. He floated slightly in front of me, and I looked in the same direction where a few feet away was the rock in question, but why was it situated there all by itself? Surely that kid couldn't have brought it here on his own as it must weigh quite a bit, yet I've been able to lift, push, and pull objects that were much heavier than this.

" He uses that rock as part of his training to other Kokiri by having them target it, and performing their various moves to see what they can do. Of course if he had anyone come here to train then it would make a lot of sense, but since he's often here by himself, he just pretends like he's training as what else is he supposed to do?"

" I kind of feel bad for not coming here," I said.

" Don't be as you were never told that this was here, so if anything I'm the one at fault," said Spike.

" Do the Kokiri at least know how to use a slingshot?" I asked.

" Some of them have professed an interest in using one, but the only one that ever existed in the forest is what you currently have in your possession. At least they know how to use Deku Sticks and Deku Nuts because those are found all over the place, and they are available in the Kokiri Shop which is the building with the red roof. With the forest being in constant peace what with the Great Deku Tree serving as the guardian, the Kokiri have never felt the need to want to take anything seriously," replied Spike.

" And yet you know what happens," I said.

" The Great Deku Tree died as a result of Ganondorf's desire for the spiritual stone, and without his protection, the forest would....but such is the way of life. Perhaps in the future the children will realize they can't rely on the protection of the Deku Tree Sprout, so they need to handle such dire situations on their own," said Spike.

He makes it sound like they aren't capable of looking after themselves, yet I believe the Kokiri act the way they do because they feel too complacent with their lot in life. Spike then turned his attention to a crawl space which was pretty obvious to spot, and probably was the intention because a sign next to the hole explained how crawling through such spaces works. " The Kokiri Sword is on the other side, so please go through and claim it."

" Are you telling me that this sword is hidden beyond something so simple?" I asked.

" Yes," replied Spike.

" Don't you think that it looks a little too easy considering that it's supposed to be a hidden treasure of the forest? If it can be accessed without any trouble, then surely it would have been picked up a long time ago," I said.

" Like I said, they don't use swords, so the weapon has never been taken despite how easy it is to find. Even though you're merely borrowing the weapon while you remain here in this time, technically it will be yours to keep as no one else will ever be able to figure out how to use it. In fact, they've forgotten altogether as to the location of the treasure chest that contains the sword," said Spike.

" Would they be able to recognize it?" I asked.

" As it's the only sword that exists in the forest, they will know what it is despite not seeing it for so long," replied Spike.

" So I need to get it and get out of here without waking anyone up?" I asked.

" Exactly, and that means no screaming when you have to overcome the trial to make it to the chest," replied Spike. Getting onto my hands and knees, I crawled my way through the crawl space until I came out into a small clearing that branched off into two paths. While I was thinking about what this "trial" was which Spike mentioned just now, I failed to pay attention to the huge boulder that was rolling its way towards me.

Lucky for me then that I came to a stop all because I thought I saw something in the bushes. When it was clear that nothing was hiding there, I turned my attention to the boulder which continued to roll around, and I looked at Spike with a frowning look on my face as though I weren't impressed at all.

" This is what would prompt me to scream?" I asked.

" It's pretty serious to the Kokiri," replied Spike.

" Yet as we both know, I'm not one of them, and not to mention that I've had to go through much worse than this. All I need to do is wait for the boulder to roll on by, and then make a break for that corner over there," I said. As soon as the boulder rolled past me, I made an immediate dash across the clearing, and turning to the right where I stopped in front of a big treasure chest.

I seriously thought that the sword was just going to be lying on top of this stump, but the fact that it's been placed in a chest is a thoughtful gesture. " So the weapon is in there?"

" Yes, and it's yours to claim," replied Spike.

" Then what is with the message on the sign?" I asked.

" That is a reference to the Know-It-All Brothers," replied Spike.

" And they are?" I asked.

" Three siblings who are quite knowledgeable when it comes to how one would use their items and weapons, and knowing how to understand maps. Their advice is most helpful because they are intricate with their details, but they do tend to drag on with the explanations. If you had any questions, the Know-It-All Brothers would be the ones to speak to in order to get your answers.

This would have made the early stages of your journey much more simpler, but you decided to go on your own terms. Also, I neglected to mention them to you, so again it's my fault for not having told you sooner," replied Spike.

" It all worked out in the end," I smiled.

" It was also more enjoyable than had you gone and done it in the intended way," added Spike. Walking up to the chest and opening it up, I reached out with my hand and picked up a rather short sword which had a beautiful gem etched into the hilt. There was also a scabbard, so I took that and attached it to the back of my tunic via the strap, but then I had the urge to just swing it around a few times.

By doing so, I discovered that it was pretty light for a sword, and for some reason it just felt right to me. It wasn't as clunky as the Master Sword, but at the same time the obvious drawback was evident which Spike noticed in my disappointing expression. " The Kokiri Sword lacks the range, so you'll need to get in close to the enemy if you want to defeat them. Also, as I said before, its lack of power means that it will take twice as long to defeat a monster, but this is the best weapon you can possibly get here."

" What about a shield that I can use that isn't heavy?" I asked.

" That would be a Deku Shield which is sold in the Kokiri Shop, yet I've heard that a couple of them are hidden somewhere in the kingdom. Despite it being made of wood and bearing a rather crude symbol on the front, it's actually a pretty sturdy shield which can protect you from even the harshest of blows. It's one weakness is that it will burn to a cinder if you get set on fire, or are hit with any kind of fire based attack," replied Spike.

" Maybe I should just stick with the Hylian Shield because it doesn't get destroyed quite so easily. I guess this means we're truly finished here as there is nothing else left in the forest. The Kokiri will never even know we came back to claim this sword because they won't bother searching this area unless one of them get a crazy idea that warrants such an exploration over here.

I was thinking of playing the Ocarina of Time in this little clearing as warping to our next location would be best so as to avoid the Stalchildren back out in Hyrule Field, but won't the noise from the notes cause someone to wake up?" I asked.

" The trees will filter out most of the noise, yet you should still play as softly as possible just in case," replied Spike.

" Now comes the question of what song I want to use that is easy for me to remember," I said. It took me a few minutes to think it over, and once I had come to a decision on what to go with, I took the Ocarina of Time out of my pouch and played the first song that popped into my mind. The person that I envisioned was Pinkie Pie, so I played the Bolero of Fire which caused Spike to react in a pretty shocking way, for he then shouted at me to not play that song when I don't have the proper tunic to survive the intensity of the flames.

It was too late unfortunately as I found myself disappearing in a ball of red light, but this was the least of my problems. In Kakariko Village, after casting the sealing spell in the dead of night, Applejack went to a small house hidden from plain sight, and entered it where someone had been waiting for her to arrive.

" My apologies for having to make you wait longer than I expected," said Applejack.

" Is everything okay?"

" The seal has been created and the shadow beast now remains trapped below the well, but I do not know how long the spell is going to last. Yet, I fear that my plan has been compromised for I came here to Kakariko to drain the water from the well which was necessary for the seal to be cast, and it turns out that someone else had performed the task before I was able to do so," replied Applejack.

" Could one of Ganondorf's followers have known you were coming?"

" That is what I originally believed, but when I spoke to Guru-Guru regarding the windmill, he revealed to me that a young girl came to see him mere hours before my arrival, and played some kind of strange song which drained the water. I tried to get him to reveal to me the identity of this child, but he was not able to give me an answer. All he said was that the girl wore strange clothes, and was being accompanied by a magical creature.

It appears that the windmill being brought to a stop has caused Guru-Guru to lose all sense of sanity, for when I was speaking with him, his choice of words were baffling as though his very mind had been shattered. I suppose that this girl did me a favour by draining the water, for it would have pained me to no end had I gone and done the deed myself," replied Applejack.

" You do not need to have such a heavy heart Impa, for your plan needed to be done to prevent the shadow beast escaping. I am sure that the owner of the windmill would have understood your intentions had you explained yourself to him, but this girl did not realize what was going to happen. Did Guru-Guru mention the name of the instrument?"

" It was an ocarina," replied Applejack.

" Gasp! It is possible that Sunset Shimmer was the one who drained the water?"

" According to what I was able to understand of Guru-Guru's incessant rambling, the one who stopped the windmill did so in order to enter the complex that lies beneath the wall, and claim the secret treasure which was sealed down there years ago," replied Applejack.

" The Lens of Truth....many sought it for their own desires, yet the original owner could no longer handle so many who visited him just so they could get the lens. As I recall from your teachings Impa, you were against the idea of hiding the lens underground as you believed it should have been kept under the watch of the elders."

" By placing it deep below in a place filled with dark creatures, the lens became lost to Kakariko, and faded from the memories of all except for myself and the elders. Many tried to claim the Lens of Truth, and all of them perished in the process for the evil below was too much for them," said Applejack.

" Sunset Shimmer is different from other people in that she would have found a way to succeed, but then why would she want the lens in the first place? She was to go to the Temple of Time, and obtain the Triforce from the Sacred Realm before Ganondorf could. By coming to the village, she has wasted precious time, but by doing so, he may have decided to resume his pursuit of us which means your plan that deals with him continues even now."

" One can only hope that he chose to take the bait," said Applejack.

" Everything will work in the end Impa for she will prevail."

" Your optimism towards her is indeed strong your highness, but I will still make the necessary arrangements in case things do not work out. You still possess the cloth that I gave you before after fleeing from the castle?" asked Applejack.

" I still have with me although I do not see the point," replied Twilight.

" No one in the village is aware that you are here, so I will begin to spread the rumours about your fate, but only if Sunset Shimmer has failed in her task," said Applejack.

" You do mean well and I am appreciative of what you are doing to ensure my safety, but I do not believe that starting a rumour about my being killed, or even captured at the hands of Ganondorf is the way to do things. Granted, I am aware that I do need to remain hidden for now until we know for certain as to what will happen, but having to use deceit is perhaps going a bit too far.

Then again, you have always been my most trusted vassal Impa, and who am I to start questioning your actions? Anyway, what reason did you have for giving me that piece of cloth?" asked Twilight.

" Should the worst situation result, then I shall teach you the secrets of my people," replied Applejack.

" Are you sure about that? After all, such knowledge is not meant for those who are not members of your tribe," said Twilight.

" Remember that I am the leader your highness, and so it falls unto me to determine who is permitted to know the secrets, and who is to remain unaware of the actions of the shadow folk. Even if she were to succeed, I shall go ahead and show you what you must do, yet know that this will not be an easy task for there is much that you need to know in such a short amount of time," said Applejack.

" Why did you choose the Bolero of Fire as the song to play in order to warp?" asked Spike.

" I was thinking of Pinkie Pie at the time, so it was the first song that came into my head," I replied. Now I could see why he was so adamant because the song warped us straight to the bottom of the Death Mountain Crater where the entrance to the Fire Temple was located. We couldn't exactly gain access to the temple from this point in time as several boulders were blocking the way, but that was the least of my problems because I was in a place where the heat was unbearable.

Because I was wearing the Goron Tunic during my previous visit, I never felt the intense heat for myself, yet without it I feel like I'm sweating up a storm.

" Maybe in the future you should think about where you want to go before actually doing it," suggested Spike.

" How long do I have?" I asked.

" The amount of health that you have acquired will determine how much time you'll have before you burn to a cinder, and since we've wasted about 30 seconds talking about it, you've probably got another minute," replied Spike.

" Don't worry about that as I have a good song to play, but I want to check to see if there are any soft soil spots because you never know," I said. Walking forward a few steps rewarded me for my curiosity, for next to a large cliff face was the soil in question, so I acted quickly and plant a Magic Bean where it sprouted up a few moments later.

" Who would have guessed that there would be one of those in such an inferno like this, but I'll be sure to come back and see what happens with the bean." I then played the next song that came into my mind, and that was the Serenade of Water which warped me in a blue light all the way to Lake Hylia.

" This is a much better location considering that you don't have to go underwater," said Spike.

" Wasn't there a patch of soft soil somewhere around here?" I asked.

" I do recall seeing it next to the house where the scientist lives, but I wouldn't stop for a chat because she's probably busy with her research," replied Spike.

" The quickest way to reach Daring Do's place would be to cross those two bridges over there as swimming is the last thing I want to do right now. By the way, there was another reason why I chose to warp to Lake Hylia, and it has to do with the desert. Of all the places we've been to on our journey, that is the one location we have yet to set foot in, so I was thinking that maybe we ought to check it out.

I know that we won't be able to make much in the way of progress what with the Gerudo's Fortress currently being on lockdown, but I think we should see it for ourselves at least once," I said.

" We should have enough time to see Gerudo Valley in all its splendour, but we won't be able to enter the fortress as they won't allow anyone access. At this point in time, tensions between the Gerudo and the Hylians are at an all-time high, and that was the reason why the king wanted an alliance in the first place. He wanted to bridge the gap between the two tribes, and maybe give some kind of concession in order to appease Ganondorf, but we know what ends up happening in the end," said Spike.

With that little reminder, I ran across the bridges until I reached the mainland, and I began to search near the house for the soft soil. It was on the side which would constitute as the front wall, so I took out another Magic Bean and planted where it sprouted a few moments later. I was actually enjoying the idea of having a green thumb as this felt really relaxing, and I needed as much calm as possible, for soon my patience was going to be tested when the Shadow Temple beckons.

Once I was satisfied with planting the bean, I ran towards the entrance of Lake Hylia making sure to avoid the Blue Tektites who were strewn about all over the place, and when I left the area and entered Hyrule Field, I came to a stop because I remembered the sun wasn't up yet. That meant having to deal with Stalchildren again, but I didn't feel like wasting my time with them.

" Guess Gerudo Valley is out of the question," I sighed.

" We've probably got another several hours before the sun rises, so I think it would be for the best to not attempt making your way there....unless you believe that you can make it. Whatever decision you decide to make, I'll go along with it no matter what," said Spike.

" I just want to see what it looks like only once, for I know we won't be able to progress through what with the lockdown," I said.

" Then I hope your running skills have gotten better because here come the Stalchildren now," said Spike. As if on cue, the Stalchildren were coming towards me with a new one popping out of the ground every second to join the ranks, so I decided to unleash a powerful burst of magic courtesy of Din's Fire which blasted enough of them to pieces allowing me the space I needed to get by them.

All of this running around was actually pretty good as it was a reminder that I often galloped about back in Equestria when I had four hooves instead of two legs. While making my way northwest along the dirt road, more monsters appeared, but I continued to use Din's Fire to get rid of them. Eventually after about an hour of running, I came to the divided path where the direction to the west lead to Gerudo Valley, so I took that path hoping that the chase had come to an end.

" You've got to give them credit for being persistent," I commented.

" They will attack anything that enters the field no matter from which direction," said Spike.

" I did notice though that some of them were bigger than the others, so does that mean there are stronger variations I need to be aware of?" I asked.

" When you destroy enough of them, a larger Stalchild does have a tendency to rise from the ground. These still have the same general attack power and movement that the originals have, but their reach is much better. The large ones like to drop blue rupees from time to time, and the even larger ones will drop red rupees which makes them a good source of wanting to earn extra money if you need it. Of course, you need to destroy the small ones so the payoff isn't really as good as it seems in theory," replied Spike.

" Once we get into Gerudo Valley, they won't bother chasing us as we'll have technically left the field, and entered another area," I said as I continued to run until they suddenly disappeared back into the ground which indicated that we had arrived at our destination. The first thing I noticed was that it was quite a mountainous sight, but then I quickly realized that these were cliffs and not mountains, yet the similarity to Death Mountain was obvious.

A wooden plank which stretched across a pool of water greeted me at the entrance, but I thought it was weird that such an arrangement even existed. " I actually was expecting this place to be a lot more lively than merely being nothing but cliffs, dirt, rocks, and little in the way of water."

" This is how the Gerudo live every day," said Spike.

" What do you know about their society?" I asked.

" Not much is known, so I don't have an answer for you, but the only ones who would know are the Gerudo themselves. What is known, is that the desert is a harsh place where strong winds blow about like a howling beast, and there isn't much in the way that can be grown out here," replied Spike. Getting down onto my knees and scooping some of the dirt in my hands, I could understand what he meant for this soil wasn't strong enough to sustain plant-life.

It felt extremely dry to the touch, and as I dropped it back down, it crumbled to dust. When I got back onto my feet, Spike urged me to cross the pool using the plank, and along the way he pointed out that this wasn't all of the water in the valley. " There is water to be found, but if the Gerudo wanted to get their hands on it, it would involve taking a very long dive.

Because of that, the land remains unfit for growing crops, and combined with the intense heat of the day and the chilling cold of the night, they certainly have a hard life."

" Maybe that's why Ganondorf wanted to conquer the world in the first place," I began.

" What are you talking about?" asked Spike.

" He knew that his people were suffering by living in this arid landscape, and saw that the rest of Hyrule lived in beautiful splendour which he yearned for. Perhaps he desired the kingdom not just for himself, but for his entire tribe although he was certainly after the Triforce given his actions against the king. There is a lot about this which makes little sense because we haven't heard from Ganondorf's point of view, but I suppose we'll find out the truth when we meet him again.

Still, I feel bad for the Gerudo having to live out here where they struggle against such odds. It wouldn't surprise me if their numbers were small compared to the other tribes due to the conditions preventing them from having children to carry on their legacy," I replied.

" In that sense, the Evil King did all of this for them," said Spike.

" Isn't that what I said? Anyway, you said that there was plenty of water to be had around here, but I don't see any of it," I said.

" Once we get to that bridge, you will need to hide behind one of those rocks, and then you can see for yourself. The Gerudo guards are still on patrol as a result of the lockdown, and if they spot us walking about in their territory, they will chase us down in an effort to have us killed," said Spike. He wasn't kidding as there were a handful of guards on the other side of the bridge walking back and forth, and a large gate added to the tension where they insisted on no one coming and going from their fortress.

Watching them from a distance until the coast was clear, I quickly dashed over to the rock that was conveniently located next to the edge, and I looked down to see that it was indeed a very long dive just like Spike said. Way at the bottom of this canyon was a raging river where the water travelled down several waterfalls, and while I could see some land down there, I had no intention of jumping down and seeing it for myself.

" No wonder they can't access the water," I said.

" They have no means of bringing up from down there," said Spike.

" And if you were to fall down below, you'd be trapped with no means of making it back up," I said.

" The water actually flows into Lake Hylia which the Gerudo have done to gain access to the lake, but then they have to take the long way back because of not being able to get back up from down there," said Spike.

" You know, now that I've seen what this place is really like, I guess my heart is allowing me to showcase sympathy towards the Gerudo, and that includes Ganondorf because he had to suffer through this environment just as much as they did. It must have affected him the most as he is their king, and so it falls onto him to make sure that the tribe is well taken care of.

I think we should sneak back, and play the Prelude of Light as we've probably run out of time now. Applejack needs our help in the Shadow Temple, and I've done as much backtracking as I can," I said. Spike told me to wait for his signal to begin crossing back across the clearing, and when he gave it to me, I made another dash in order to get back over there without being seen.

During all of this excitement, I began to think about Rainbow Dash, and what she may be doing at this moment in time. If I recall correctly, she had been punished for betraying Ganondorf, so I hoped she was still okay.

" So you're about to leave and begin your exile?"

" No thanks to you of course!"

" You know, this is something you had coming for a long time because of the way you appeared to be relishing your position just to make me feel bad. At the same time though, you wanted to be stripped of your status because it meant no longer needing to be tied down by the Great Ganondorf."

" I'm surprised that you figured that out so quickly."

" I've known you for a long time Nabooru, so anything you may try to keep hidden is useless against me as I know all of your tricks."

" And you used that to your advantage in order to replace me as the second-in-command, and in turn make me appear as having betrayed our people in their eyes as well as those of Ganondorf. You always were the resourceful one who never gives up on her goals until she succeeds in achieving them, and you will resort to any means necessary," said Rainbow Dash. She then finished packing up her things in a small satchel before closing it up making sure to double-check that everything was in it.

" What can I say? I'm moving up in the world, and no one is going to stop me!"

" Under my guidance Spitfire, you've truly managed to make a name for yourself, and now here you are having reached the highest level of status among the others. In your eyes, everything has turned out wonderfully for you, but what about your heart? Does it think in the same manner as your eyes?" asked Rainbow Dash. Picking up her satchel and placing it on her back, she then turned her attention to her former subordinate, Spitfire, who had since been given her old title.

The new second-in-command of the Gerudo felt irate knowing that the former exalted of the tribe wasn't more angry, but then she also showed a sense of sympathy which was a feeling she hadn't felt for a very long time.

" Even when facing utter humiliation and the prospect of never being allowed to return, you still have that same calm demeanour which has been a source of strength for all of us during the most difficult of times. I'll admit that I lack your charismatic persona Nabooru, and the others won't accept me right away, but give me a few years and I'll prove to them that I was worthy," said Spitfire.

" No matter what though, you will always be known as Ganondorf's prized pupil," said Rainbow Dash.

" My loyalty to him remains unshakeable even if some of his most recent actions are questionable, yet I have no doubt that he will give us what we've been wanting for a long time now. We've been suffering here in the desert for far too long, and those insufferable Hylians refuse to allow us to take what we need to survive," said Spitfire.

" And it's his actions which have driven me away," sighed Rainbow Dash.

" You can always beg him for forgiveness, and at the very least he may allow you back into the tribe as some kind of slave," said Spitfire.

" It's too late for me Spitfire, so anything I try to say to him will fall on deaf ears. The Gerudo will never forgive me because of what I have chosen to believe in, so this is where I must say farewell as my exile to the Desert Colossus begins the moment I step out into the Haunted Wasteland beyond the fortress," said Rainbow Dash. She stared at the giant gate which leads to the desert, and a small tear trickled down her face which Spitfire noticed.

In the heart of Rainbow Dash, this was a sign that she could no longer believe herself to be a Gerudo, for everything that she been taught was now nothing but a lie, yet she would continue on despite knowing that her fate had been sealed. There were no regrets to be had in her soul, yet she knew her actions had been condemned by the others, and she has to live with that for the rest of her days.

" Spitfire, even though you are responsible for my being exiled, I know that you will be able to carry on in my footsteps. You truly deserved to be the second-in-command from the very beginning as you worked hard for it, and all I ever did was stumble into it all because of that one incident."

" You still remember that?" asked Spitfire.

" I only received that position because of being there when I shouldn't have, and you were passed over in favour of me. Not a day has gone by that I wish that things could have been different as that incident shaped us both into who we are now," replied Rainbow Dash.

" Why bring this up now?" asked Spitfire.

" My wish for you is to understand what it really means to serve as the second-in-command to one like Ganondorf. It may seem like I'm being philosophical, but I'm just telling you the way it is without holding back. You may have been a thorn in my side these past few years, yet I still view you as a sister....goodbye," replied Rainbow Dash. After giving the signal to the guards standing by the gate, she then began to walk towards the entrance to the Haunted Wasteland where every step would mean death if one wasn't careful.

" You just had to say that didn't you?" asked Spitfire.

" My survival out there is slim, so I figured on going out with some meaning," replied Rainbow Dash. As soon as she had walked through the gate, the guards closed it down and she began her exile. All she had was what she had placed into satchel, and she would need to use everything she had if she hoped to survive in the desert, and not succumb to the heat, the monsters, or the twisted nature of the sands....

To Be Continued.

PreviousChapters Next