• Published 9th Nov 2014
  • 8,915 Views, 307 Comments

The Legend of Sunset Shimmer: Ocarina of Time - Ganondorf8



Sunset Shimmer was simply enjoying a night indoors with her friends, but the magical energies of the human world which clashed in Rainbow Rocks has caused something unexpected to happen.

  • ...
28
 307
 8,915

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35: The Temple of the Submerged Grounds

Author's Note:

Disclaimer: I do not own anything regarding the Legend of Zelda, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Rainbow Rocks. These are the properties of Nintendo and Hasbro respectively.

Water, water, everywhere, but this isn't the kind which you can drink. No, this is water which you can walk around underwater in it as long as you can breathe.

Cast appearing in this chapter.

Sunset Shimmer - Link/????
Spike - Navi the Fairy
Rarity - Princess Ruto
Fluttershy - Saria
Daring Do - Scientist living in Lake Hylia

The Legend of Sunset Shimmer: Ocarina of Time.
By Ganondorf8
January 24, 2015
Chapter 35: The Temple of the Submerged Grounds.

" Well, this is what has become of Lake Hylia, and the reason why my old research project was put on hold," said Daring Do.

" How could this have happened?" I asked.

" It took me a long time to figure it out, but I managed to come up with an answer. I originally believed that there was some kind of scientific reason for Lake Hylia to recede like it has, but I know better now thanks to my focusing on a new project. Staring at the lake isn't going to do us any good, so you might as well come into my house, and I'll explain what I believe happened," replied Daring Do.

" Would it be okay if I were to rest at your place for a few hours as I really could do with some sleep," I said.

" You do look as though you've been through an awful lot, so by all means rest for as long as you need to. The lake isn't going to change while you're sleeping, and if you plan on going where I think you are, you'll need all the rest you can get," said Daring Do. I then followed her over to her house making sure Epona was situated a few feet away from her front door as I wanted her to be safe, and inside of the house was much different than what I saw last time.

Many of the books Daring Do used to have all over the place were now neatly arranged on the bookshelves, although she did have a stack of books on one chair which must be what she is using for her new research which sounds like it has to do with magic. " My home looks a lot better than it did the last time you were here, so you'll be able to rest over there on that couch, but first I'd like you to sit over here so that I can explain to you what you need to know." That's when I noticed a mask on the table which must be what Sonata had given to her which had me all curious about it, and I was compelled to want to know more about it along with the problem with Lake Hylia.

" That's quite an interesting mask you have there," I commented.

" Oh that? It's something which I needed in order to further my research, and so I asked the Happy Mask Saleswoman to see if she could find it. That mask is one of the rarest artefacts in all of Hyrule, so you can imagine that it took her years to finally acquire it for me. She said that this mask contains demonic powers, but I don't know if that is true or not. It's strange because for some reason it bears a slight resemblance to your head Sunset Shimmer, but what are the chances of that?" asked Daring Do.

" I'd say that borders on just plain creepy," I replied.

" But pay no attention to it as it is a very fragile mask, and I had to pay a lot of rupees to finalize my acquisition of it. Once I have determined the truth behind it, I'll either seal it away somewhere so as to prevent anyone else from using it, or I'll sell it back to Sonata and she can do whatever she wants with it," said Daring Do.

" I know what it's like dealing with artefacts that contain powers that are beyond our limits as I've been down that path before. You're making a wise decision to handle it in such a fashion as most would have been tempted to try and wear it," I said. That's when I took a closer look at this strange mask, and indeed it did bear a slight resemblance to me, but I quickly turned my gaze away from it and focused my attention towards my host. " Now, you say that you know why the water of Lake Hylia has receded?"

" Originally, I believed that the water level was lowering was due to some kind of environmental reason, but I soon realized that this was something that was beyond anything that could be deemed as natural. That's when I determined that the reason for the receding water had to do with magic. If you were to get close to the island that lies in the middle of Lake Hylia, dark clouds will appear in the sky, and it begins to rain as a sign that a great evil has corrupted the Water Temple which lies below the surface of the lake," replied Daring Do.

" That sounds like the result of what Ganondorf has inflicted upon the kingdom when he took it over," I said.

" The evil within the temple used its power to drain the water from the lake, and converted it to snow which has been falling over Zora's Domain which is how it has been transformed into a frozen wasteland. It took me a while to realize this connection when I decided to travel over there to collect some samples which I needed for a future project which I won't discuss as it isn't significant," said Daring Do.

" I've actually been to Zora's Domain recently," I began.

" You have? How has it fared?" asked Daring Do.

" The conditions have gotten even worse to the point where all of the Zoras save for three of them have become trapped underneath the thick ice sheet. Until the curse inside of the temple has been destroyed, the ice will never melt and Zora's Domain will eventually become a desolate place where no life can exist," I replied.

My words were certainly of interest to Daring Do as she had been scratching her chin, and then she walked over to her desk and took the top book on top a stack along with picking up a pen and began to write something down. She was probably writing down what I just said, so I decided to go into a little more detail as my way of helping her out. " The Water Temple is one of five sacred places which have become corrupted due to the evil power of Ganondorf, and it has fallen unto me to purify them and awaken those who have been chosen to become the Sages."

" Why do you have to resolve such issues?" asked Daring Do.

" Because I've been chosen by destiny to awaken all of the Sages even though I never had a say in the matter. Anyway, Princess Ruto was recently rescued from being trapped under the ice, and she made her way down here in order to destroy the curse and save her people. Sonata mentioned that she gave the princess the means of entering the temple, but it looks as though I'll need to figure out another way to get inside," I replied.

" The Zora princess was given a mask which had the power to explode according to what Sonata told me. If not for the fact that Lake Hylia is already suffering, the resulting tremor from the explosion would have made things worse," said Daring Do. Was she being serious about that right now!?!? Sonata gave Rarity a mask which had the same properties as a bomb!?!?

I knew that she was a little on the eccentric side, but did she have to possess something as dangerous as an exploding piece of headgear? Hmmmm....it sounded to me that Daring Do may know of how I can enter the temple without having to rely on something so contrived as blowing myself up with a mask.

" So how do I go about entering the temple?" I asked.

" You'll have to use the main entrance which has a large gate blocking it so as to prevent anyone from entering, but there is a switch located just above which can open it when struck. The only problem is that the entrance is located underwater, so unless you can walk underwater, breathe underwater, and somehow use a specialized tool underwater, you're pretty much out of luck," replied Daring Do.

" Well, I am wearing this Zora Tunic which allows me to breathe underwater, and I do have these Iron Boots, so I already have two of your three conditions fulfilled," I said as I showed her the boots I found in the Ice Cavern by taking them out from somewhere on my person. Honestly, I have no idea where I'm placing all of these items that are too big for the pouches on my belt, and being placed in-between the Hylian Shield and my back, but somehow I'm pulling off these impossible feats. " The only thing I don't have is the proper tool I need to hit that switch with according to what you just said."

" Gasp! That tunic is ridiculously expensive that only that one rich family in Kakariko could afford it," said Daring Do.

" King Zora gave it to me as a gift for saving his life when I melted the red ice that kept him frozen," I said.

" Amazing! So with that tunic coupled with those Iron Boots of yours, you do have the means of entering the temple, but the question now is do you have something you can use while walking about underwater. Hmmmm....would it be okay if I could see what other items you have in your possession? It's possible that you've got what you need to enter the temple, but I want to be certain about it," said Daring Do.

I wasn't sure where she was going with this, but I complied with her request and started taking out every item that I had acquired on my journey. She kept on shaking her head and saying no, but then her expression lit up when I took out the last item which was the very first one I acquired when I came back from the Sacred Realm after seven years. " Yes! That's it! That spring-loaded device! You can use that to enter the temple by shooting the switch located underwater!"

" You mean the Hookshot?" I asked.

" I assume from the confusion in your voice that you aren't familiar with how one moves about underwater, but then you wouldn't be alone as the vast majority in Hyrule have no idea how it's done either. Now let me see where I put them as the information inside them can be very useful," said Daring Do.

She spent the next few minutes combing across the various bookshelves looking for something regarding underwater exploration, and while to me it looked as though she may be starting to lose it, she jumped up and down with glee when she discovered one of the books, and pulled it from the shelf before coming back over to me. " A long time ago, Hylians were fascinated by the fact that the Zoras were capable of walking underwater, they desired the same thing because they were curious as to what it would be like."

" What does that have to do with the Hookshot?" I asked.

" I'll get to that in a moment, but first allow me to educate you. The Hylians approached the Zoras and requested them to make some special diving suits which they could use to breathe underwater, and asked the Gorons to forge metal soles which could be applied to ordinary boots so that one could sink to the bottom of any body of water. What you have right now Sunset Shimmer are the results of those projects, and of course one cannot ignore the Hookshot.

It was a device created by the Hylians to allow them to latch onto targets and either pull them towards it, or pull something towards them depending on what it was. While I'm sure you already know that because you look as though you're an expert on how it works, what you don't know is that the Hookshot was also designed to be used underwater as a means of a weapon," replied Daring Do.

" I figured it was a weapon, but it can be used underwater?" I asked.

" The Hylians discovered that other weapons were unable to be used when traversing in a body of water, so the Hookshot was used to protect themselves from the creatures of the deep. That Hookshot of yours is pretty much your means of surviving because the rest of your items will be useless when walking underwater," replied Daring Do. She then closed her book before adjusting the glasses on her face. " You have everything you need to explore the temple, so you should get some rest which is what you said you need."

" Considering that you just gave me some great advice, I'll need as much rest as I can before I get started," I said.

" Since you'll need plenty of quiet solitude, I'll just go upstairs so as to not disturb you," said Daring Do. As she picked up the mask from her desk, and quietly began to walk up the stairs, I got up from the chair and made my way over to the couch where I began to think about what I was going to be experiencing within the Water Temple.

Within a few minutes I was fast asleep with Spike sleeping on top of my hat because he needed some rest as well, for his assistance was going to be essential. While I was dreaming about being back in the human world, a dark shadow began to form underwater by the entrance to the Water Temple.

" I have more power now than I ever dreamed possible....but it comes at the price of my own freedom. The one who punished me for trying to....defy him should have left me to die in that inferno, yet he chose to save me....because he was amused at the fact that I am the evil that exists within her heart. While I am grateful to him for making....me stronger and improved on....my talking, I don't being treated as a servant. Someone of my greatness isn't meant to be a slave to anyone!

I am a free spirit who desires to become the mistress of her own destiny....and become the ruler of Equestria! I have no choice but to obey him for the time being, or else he shall destroy me. Sunset Shimmer....while I was too weak and brittle to fulfill my self obligation to you back in the fire, the water shall be the place where you....will die, and I will become the only one between the two of us."

By the time I finally woke up, I had slept for roughly eight hours, so the sun had gone past the highest point of its daily routine across the sky, but what I found strange was that Daring Do had since come back downstairs, and looked to be doing some serious work on the mask that Sonata had given her. She noticed me waking up, and promptly turned her attention my way.

" You look as though you slept quite well."

" That couch of yours is really comfy as it makes you fall asleep in a matter of moments," I said.

" In any case, you've rested up for the trials that you will be going up against, so I guess this is where we say goodbye. Oh, before you leave, I do have something very interesting which may to be your liking given that you've got yourself quite the powerful bow in your possession. Go to the island in the middle of Lake Hylia, and you will find a plaque which will give you a hint on how to acquire something which will make that weapon even more powerful," said Daring Do.

" What about that mask?" I asked.

" This research project is going to take me a long time before I can consider it fulfilled, so I'll be spending every waking moment trying to unravel its magical properties, and perhaps learn about its historical significance. According to a couple of books I've read over the last little while, whenever anyone wears it, they would change forms and become the ultimate version of themselves; a sort of dark warrior who wields unbelievable power.

Of course, the books state that this is merely nothing more than a legend, so I doubt that this is capable of something like that. It even has quite a perplexing name if I ever heard of one....Fierce Deity....I believe that such a name is mere exaggeration," replied Daring Do. With that she excused herself and walked over to another bookshelf where she began to comb through her books, and that was my cue to leave her home after saying my thanks for allowing me to rest. Once I was outside, Epona as usual was happy to see me, but she quickly changed to an expression of sadness as she knew that I would be leaving yet again.

" It's okay girl," I began as I rubbed her muzzle with my hands. " This time, I'm only going to be going down there underwater, so I'll be a lot closer when I get back from this journey. You remain here because I know Daring Do will make sure that nothing happens to you."

" Provided that she doesn't do anything crazy with that mask," commented Spike.

" Do you have the same feeling as I do regarding that thing?" I asked.

" She believes it to be nothing more than an ancient mask, but I suppose she knows more about it than either of us do as she is the expert in these sorts of things. Anyway, we should focus on what's important, and that is entering the Water Temple. Thanks to her, we now know that the Hookshot is needed in order to enter the temple, and that it will be essential when it comes to dealing with the monsters that exist underwater," replied Spike.

" Should we check out the island in the middle of the lake?" I asked.

" The entrance to the temple is below the island, so it isn't out of the way or anything. You should try out that song Sheik taught you in the Ice Cavern so that you can get over there quickly without having to go there the long way," replied Spike. That was a good idea, so I reached into my pouch and took out the Ocarina of Time. This was the first time I was going to play a warp song given that so far I've not had a need to use them, but the problem I had as usual was remembering how the songs were played.

It took me a couple of minutes to recall how the Serenade of Water went, and when I played it on the ocarina, I instantly vanished in a blue ball of light before finding myself reappearing on the island in the middle of the lake just like that.

" Well that was unusual," I commented.

" It appears that these warping songs instantly send you to one of the raised platforms baring the symbol of the temple it relates to, so we can't choose exactly where in the area we can go upon you playing it on the Ocarina of Time. This is useful information to consider as we don't know the locations of the remaining two platforms. Anyway, Daring Do was right when she said that dark clouds appear when you get close to the temple, and that it immediately begins to rain," said Spike.

" At least this water I can tolerate without complaining even if it isn't natural, but we should focus on finding that plaque," I said. I then started to walk around the island in the hopes of finding it, and sure enough it was located next to a dead tree which looked rather sad given the natural beauty of the lake....when there isn't an evil curse causing problems that is. The plaque itself appeared to be really old as though it had been placed here many decades ago, and a message was inscribed onto it. " It says here that "When water fills the lake, shoot for the morning light"....what does that mean?"

" The morning light sounds like the sun," said Spike.

" And water will fill the lake again when the curse of the temple has been broken, so it looks like we'll have to come back up here when we're finished. Well, as long as I'm up here, I might as well talk to Fluttershy, and she what she has to say," I said.

" Maybe you should get out of the rain before you catch a cold," suggested Spike.

" Did you really just go and say that?" I asked.

" Your health is important," replied Spike.

" I was swimming around in freezing cold water, almost drowned in said water, and got frozen in a double-layer of ice. Those were incidents where I would have caught a cold and quite possibly die from it. Standing out here in the middle of the lake with rain pouring down on me isn't going to be a concern," I said. Since I still had the Ocarina of Time in my hand, and knew Fluttershy's Song by heart given how often I've been playing it, I played it in order to get her insight.

" Sunset Shimmer? This is.....Fluttershy, yes, Fluttershy....I'm getting used to that name. Anyway, can you hear me? Huh? I can hear the sound of water all around you. Is it raining where you are right now?"

" I'm currently at Lake Hylia where the water of the lake has receded to roughly one third of what it's meant to be, and dark clouds are above my head which is making it rain on a permanent basis due to what's happening here," I replied.

" Oh my, I had no idea that the situation in Lake Hylia has gotten so bad. The forest spirits told me that something was happening to the lake, but they couldn't tell due to the darkness. If the problem persists then the lake will end up running completely dry, and that would be a disaster not just for the Zoras, but for the local wildlife as well which make their homes there.

You should be somewhere close to the Water Temple's entrance which is underwater despite the lake having lost so much of it, yet you will need the proper items in order to gain access," said Fluttershy.

" I have everything I need," I said.

" Wonderful! I should warn you Sunset Shimmer that the Water Temple is a literal maze full of twists and turns which will cause you to become lost easily, so you will need to find a map as soon as possible. When you enter, you will need to sink down to the lowest level, and look for a passageway that is flanked by two torches side-by-side at its entrance. From there, you'll be able to start figuring out where you need to go, but you must be patient for you will be doing a lot of backtracking," said Fluttershy.

" Do the spirits mention anything about the Princess of the Zoras?" I asked.

" They say that she is somewhere inside of the temple, but they don't know where so it looks like you'll need to find her as soon as possible. If anyone is going to be able to guide you, she is the one who can do just that. By the way, that Hookshot which you used to enter the Forest Temple to rescue me....it's going to be seeing a lot of use, yet you will soon discover that it has some limitations.

Perhaps it's possible to find a means of being able to go beyond its limits? In any case, be sure that you know how to use it as it is going to be an essential item," replied Fluttershy.

" I was told that it's needed in order to fight underwater monsters seeing as the temple is full of water, but I had no idea that it had some problems. No offence to the forest spirits Fluttershy, but maybe they have their information wrong this time around? I mean, the darkness does cloud their vision, so the Hookshot may not be as problematic as they think?" I asked

" You do have a point there, so maybe the darkness has made them think of the wrong thing, but again I would take what they into full consideration as their advice has often proven to be very effective. Gasp! I'm sensing something....an evil presence is there....it appears that it desires you to face it in battle so that the rightful one may continue to exist," said Fluttershy. Hearing her say that immediately reminded me of what I experienced back in the Death Mountain Crater, and it couldn't be her as she melted into the lava.

Could she have survived her fate, and continues to live? She wishes to assume my life because she feels that I gave up my old way of life to start a better one, but I can't allow that to happen. " Is something on your mind Sunset Shimmer?"

" No, it's nothing," I replied.

" Whatever this evil presence is, you must take extreme caution as it wants you above all else. Are you sure you're okay? You're starting to look pale in the face, and if you need to talk to me about it then I will listen," said Fluttershy.

" That evil presence could very well be the shadow being that formed from the darkness in my heart. It has taken on a form based on something that I wish to forget, yet seeing it with my own eyes has brought back horrifying images of who I used to be. This being calls itself Sunset Demon, and it wants to assume my life and live out an existence it believes to be what I should be doing," I said.

" Then you shouldn't enter the temple," pleaded Fluttershy.

" I have to go in otherwise the Sage of this temple won't awaken to their destiny," I said.

" Yes, you must awaken all of us for there is no other way to seal the Evil King away, and restore peace back to Hyrule. I guess this is where I'll end this conversation, so that you can focus on getting into the temple, but I do wish that there was another way where you can avoid this evil presence. Good luck with this endeavour Sunset Shimmer, and please be careful as always," said Fluttershy.

I knew she was concerned for my well-being, and I agreed that I didn't want to go through with it, but I had to because no one else was capable of doing so. If the she-demon was waiting for me somewhere inside the temple, I must conquer her, but would I be able to do it?

" How could that creature have survived the lava?" asked Spike.

" That's a question I've been wondering about myself, but I think I know what happened and I think it's pretty obvious," I replied.

" Ganondorf?" asked Spike.

" Who else could have brought the she-demon here but him as a means of amusement to him," I replied.

" If that is the case then the Water Temple is really going to test you on an emotional level, so I'm hoping that you keep your emotions in check as we explore. You don't want to transform, and if the she-demon is waiting for you, she will do everything she can to rile you up to the point where you'll lose control," said Spike.

He was right as I knew that creature was going to insult me just like she did before, and if I lose myself and allow my emotions to overcome me, I'll be placing Rarity's life in danger as well as my own. Sigh....and here I was hoping that this dungeon was going to be something simple, and not one that was going to place such a heavy burden on my psychological state of being.

" Guess I should switch to the Iron Boots and sink down to the bottom of the lake," I suggested.

" Remember that only the Hookshot will work underwater, so be sure to keep it out at all times," said Spike. Once I had magically changed into the Iron Boots, I walked over to the edge of the island, and discovered how far of a drop it was to the bottom, but I knew that I had to keep going so I walked off and dropped until I splashed into the water and sank all the way down.

Once I landed, I began to look at the gate that was in front of me which was blocking the entrance, and above it was a strange looking stone fish-like object which must be the switch I need to hit with the Hookshot.

" Look at that over there!" I exclaimed.

" I wonder what happened to have caused that?" asked Spike.

" That must be where Princess Ruto used that exploding mask to gain access," I replied. To the right of the gate was a patch of boulders which looked unnatural as though someone had recently disturbed it. Rarity probably didn't enjoy having to use such a questionable method to get inside, but I least I know she will be waiting for me somewhere, so I need to find her as soon as possible. " Okay, I need to hit that switch with the Hookshot, but it's a little difficult to spot with the setting sun casting its lens flare across the water."

It took me a few minutes to do this because the flare was blinding my vision which proved to be really annoying, but eventually I managed to hit it. The switch then popped out of its place of rest, and floated upwards towards the surface while the gate opened. I then walked into the Water Temple where I entered a small section that came to an abrupt end. " Well, this is awkward. The moment we enter this place, we're stuck at a wall."

" This is an example of where you'll need to switch back and forth between your regular boots and the Iron Boots," said Spike.

" So it's going to be a thing is it?" I asked.

" Be glad that you can switch between the two pairs of boots using a magical means of doing so. A long time ago, you'd have to manually switch between different pairs of boots which would be nothing but slow and tedious," replied Spike.

" That must have been unbearable," I said.

" I wouldn't know because I'm a fairy, and we don't normally wear boots given we can fly. Anyway, switch back to your Kokiri Boots and climb out of the water to move onto the next area," said Spike. Again, he had to rub in the fact that he was unaffected by many things the rest of us have to deal with, but I wasn't about to argue a losing cause, so I switched boots and swam up to the surface.

As soon as I got out of the water, I walked forward until I came to a very large room which had some kind of tower going through the middle that was connected to different floors. There were multiple directions I could take on the surface, yet underwater there were additional places I could go.

" Fluttershy was right when she said that this temple was like a maze," I commented.

" With so many different ways we can go, we should try to find the Dungeon Map as soon as possible," said Spike.

" I'm curious about that tower in the center of the room," I said.

" It does appear to be a central part of the dungeon, and that could mean that this one room is the central hub which connects everywhere else. Right now, I can see some locked doors on the surface and down below, so some paths are already restricted. Also, be careful as there are Blue Tektites nearby as this is just the kind of atmosphere they enjoy, so expect to see them quite often.

Just so you know, your fire magic isn't going to work very well here as fire is terrible against water, but now is the perfect time to use some of that water magic which you haven't used since the Sacred Forest Meadow," said Spike.

" Since there is an abundance of water in here, such magic should prove to be rather potent, but are you sure that it will work against these monsters? I have this feeling that they are immune to water due to being aquatic in nature, so maybe I should rely on weapons to defeat them, and just save the magic for when it's needed?" I asked.

" That is a good point, but you should try it at the very least as we may end up encountering monsters that aren't associated with water," replied Spike. Fire is my natural element, so it felt really weird not being able to rely on it, but I guess this was a means of letting me know that perhaps I've been using it too much to the point where it has become a crutch. It then dawned on me that while water magic may not affect the monsters, perhaps I can use the natural settings to give me some kind of advantage, and defeat them that way.

As soon as the two Blue Tektites got a little closer, I cast a small whirlpool which span around quickly before it became a tiny little tornado which grabbed them and slammed them against the wall where they landed on their backs. This gave me a free moment to jump across to the catwalk they were located on, and by taking out the Megaton Hammer from behind my shield, I began to smash them until they were defeated.

" Something like that?" I asked.

" Quite creative although remember that when underwater, you'll need to rely on the Hookshot," replied Spike.

" Are Blue Tektites capable of diving down there?" I asked.

" Fortunately, they're not able to do that, so they are strictly surface-skimming monsters," replied Spike. That was certainly useful to know as it meant not having to deal with them whenever I have to sink to the bottom of any water filled areas. With the Blue Tektites out of the way, I walked around to the other side of the room where I came upon a dragon-like statue which had a plate attached to it.

" I wonder if I can reach it from here," I said as I aimed the Hookshot at the plate and fire it. The chain went out roughly halfway across before stopping and snapping back into place. " No, I guess I can't get over to that platform, so we either need to come back here later on, or maybe we need to do what Fluttershy said which was find a way of overcoming the restriction on it."

" There's nothing else we can do up here, so we might as well sink to the bottom and try to find Princess Ruto," said Spike.

" If I recall what she said, we need to find the passageway which has two torches standing either side of it," I said. Once again, I magically switched over to the Iron Boots and walked off the platform into the water, and immediately dropped all the way to the bottom which must have taken about a minute.

Upon reaching the bottom, I noticed some rocks nearby which looked suspicious, but the instant I moved towards them, they suddenly turned metallic and produced countless spikes before beginning to move about in a rather awkward pattern. " What in the world are these supposed to be?"

" You're really going to get a kick of this name, but they are known as Spike, the very name you've been calling me since the very beginning when we first met. When they are moving around, they will damage you when they poke you with their sharp spikes, but that is also a weakness because the moment they touch you, they immediately regress back to the rock-like form you saw them in," replied Spike.

" Are they really called Spike?" I asked.

" Please pay attention to what I have to say about them. When you fight them on land, you can use your shield to deflect them which will cause them to change back into their weakened forms, or you can choose to attack them with whatever you have. This includes fire magic, but only when they are on land. When facing them underwater, it's a much different fight in that you have to use the Hookshot to change them back, and use it again to finish the job.

You can still use your shield while submerged in water, but no other weapon will work until you get back to the surface. For reasons which even I am not able to explain, defeating a Spike always produces bombs, so if you're ever running out of bombs, you can easily get some more from defeating them. Aside from that, these things aren't exactly all that threatening," replied Spike.

" Good to know that I can apply different strategies depending on whether I'm underwater or not, but it's weird that they always drop bombs which has me thinking that maybe I'll need to use some in order to blow up the fake walls like we saw in the Fire Temple," I said.

" While you'll be mainly using the Hookshot, I do recommend trying to use the Master Sword especially if that she-demon is lurking about. That's something else we need to be careful of because we have no idea which room she is in, so we need to walk around here carefully as we don't know when she might decide to ambush us," said Spike.

" The she-demon has most likely become stronger since the last encounter as she is determined to become the most powerful that she can be. Since she is a reflection of the old me who sought power above everything else, she wanted to become even stronger, so she probably had no choice but to become Ganondorf's minion just so that she could whet her appetite," I said.

" Your former self sounds like quite the horrible creature," commented Spike.

" I'm not proud of the way I used to be Spike, and seeing my other self in the form of the monster that I became certainly isn't making things easier. I know that I can't run away from her as she is likely to hound me for the rest of my life, so I need to confront her wherever she is, and put an end to my own personal nightmare," I said.

That's when the enemy called Spike began to move closer towards me, and I used my shield to deflect all four of them changing them back into the rocks they were when I first spotted them. As soon as they had regressed back, I took out the Hookshot and fired at each one destroying them where they dropped bombs which I picked up. " That was rather on the easy side as all they did was run into my shield."

" They aren't the smartest monsters, but don't get cocky Sunset Shimmer as this is just the beginning," said Spike.

" You're right! Being overconfident will just lead me to getting hurt severely," I said. Once I felt assured that there were no more monsters around, I began to start walking although that's when I remembered that the buoyancy of the water slowed me down, so walking felt more like crawling, and running would amount to walking. While searching for the passageway with the two torches, I took a moment to embrace the fact that I was walking underwater and being able to breathe like a fish.

This would never have been possible in Equestria as we ponies aren't exactly what I would call suited for underwater. That would be something that's better suited to sea ponies and the like, but still it was just awe-inspiring to be down here and witnessing something I've never done before in my life. Well, if it wasn't for the Zora Tunic, I'd actually be choking to death right about now, so I have to give credit to the Zoras for making this piece of cloth in the first place.

" Having fun are we?" asked Spike who noticed what I was doing.

" More like taking in the fact that we're down here underwater, and being able to experience something most humans would never get the chance of doing. I'm not sure if you feel the same way I do given that as a fairy, this sort of thing just passes over you," I replied.

" To us fairies, the only thing that would make us experience those kinds of feelings would be when we bare witness to the majesty of the Great Fairy. All fairy folk see the Great Fairy once in their lives as a sign of respect given she is our leader, and she is always there watching over us using a power that defies all," said Spike.

" Remind me when we see the Great Fairy again, I need to ask her to tell me more about the legends of this world. Even though I do want to go back to my own world as that's where I belong, I actually want to learn as much as I can about Hyrule. I've actually grown rather fond of the kingdom, and in turn it's becoming more like a second home to me as the people here resemble my friends from back home.

I feel like I can relate to them because of that even if they are in truth different people altogether from those I've come to know as both my friends and family," I said. As I walked forward daydreaming, I failed to noticed that I arrived at the passageway that Fluttershy mentioned we needed to explore first. She never explained why she said that it had to be this one, but the forest spirits did say it to her, and I trust in their judgment as well as her own.

The passage looked simple enough although it did turn immediately to the right, but Spike insisted on being careful as there was no telling what we would run into, so I decided to slowly walk through this passage with the Hookshot in hand just in case something attacks us.

" Do you remember back in the Sacred Forest Meadow when I told you about whenever you are moving around in tight quarters, you can strafe in order to see what may be lurking around the corner?" asked Spike.

" Yeah, I remember you telling me that," I replied.

" The same principle applies here in these narrow passageways in that you can strafe about, and maybe even sneak up on some enemies without them noticing. Since the buoyancy of the water is already slowing you down, strafing will make you move even slower as though you were on tip-toes," said Spike. With that information in mind, I began to slowly make my way down the passage in such a way that the Iron Boots didn't make their usual clanking sounds.

Even though it did take a little while longer than expected, I soon reached the corner, and I could see that the passage opens up to a small area with a door that is blocked with iron bars. There were a few torches scattered about which had me wonder what kind of purpose they hold, but the main concern was the figure standing with their back to me, and looking intently at the door.

" What do you make of the person over there?" I asked.

" It's hard to tell who it is as the water is so murky down here," replied Spike.

" I'm not sensing any evil coming from whoever it is, but I shouldn't take any chances. Then again, this person looks as though they don't have anything with which to attack, so I think I'll get as close as possible with my shield raised just in case," I suggested.

" Good idea as that way, you'll be protected from any possible attack," said Spike. Taking the Hylian Shield off of my back and slinging it onto my left arm before raising it up in front of me, I slowly walked around the corner and began to make my way towards this person who was showing no signs of noticing me. Once I got a little bit closer, they turned around which left me with quite the shock on my face.

" Oh....you....If I'm right....Sunset Shimmer?! You're Sunset Shimmer, aren't you? It's me, Ruto! Princess of the Zoras! Yet, why is it that you still look the same as you did when I last saw you with my own eyes seven years ago? How are you still the same back then as you are now?" Standing in front of me was Rarity which was a huge sigh of relief, yet she looked slightly older than before, and her dress was much more elegant although it did have some wear and tear probably from her long jaunt from Zora's Domain to Lake Hylia.

" Um....hello," I said which was all I could say in response to her questions.

" That's not the kind of answer I was expecting from you after all this time darling, so I shall repeat myself again and you will answer my question. Why is it that you still look exactly the same now as you did seven years ago?" asked Rarity.

" It's difficult to explain, and believe me as I've been asked that question by plenty of other people including your father," I replied.

" My father is alive?" asked Rarity.

" He was frozen in ice, but I was able to free him," I replied.

" I am relieved that he has managed to survive this horrible ordeal that has befallen the Zoras, but you are still avoiding my question by refusing to answer it. You shall give me an answer right now otherwise you will have to be punished," said Rarity. She now sounded serious about this which has me thinking that maybe she is under a lot of stress what with her home currently a frozen wasteland.

Rarity, back in the human world was known for her sharp wit, but she would never resort to behaviour like this as that would be going against what she stood for. I'll need to give her an answer although I hope that she accepts it, otherwise we're not going to be getting anywhere if we're just trapped in a perpetual argument.

" The Equestrian Magic which exists inside of me is what prevented me from aging when my soul was trapped inside of the Sacred Realm for seven years. I don't really know if you believe my words because they are difficult to comprehend given the circumstances," I said.

" What you say does sound rather confusing to me Sunset Shimmer, but I know that you are being truthful as what would you gain from lying to me? Very well! I shall accept your response to my question although I expect you to explain more of it once the current problem has been resolved.

I'm sure you've already seen it! Zora's Domain has been totally frozen due to the arctic wind! A young woman named Sheik saved me from under the ice....but the other Zoras have not....yet....I want to save them all! I want to save Zora's Domain! You! You have to help me! This is a request from a dear friend who is in need of your might once again just like you were there for me long ago when you saved both me and Lord Jabu-Jabu from the evil which tormented him," said Rarity.

" Of course I will help you," I smiled.

" Sunset Shimmer, you have to help me destroy the evil monster in the Temple okay?" asked Rarity.

" Hello? I already said that I would help," I replied.

" I'm terribly sorry for not hearing you just now darling as I was simply lost in the moment," said Rarity. Despite being the Zora princess in this world, Rarity was still very much a drama queen where she overreacts to pretty much everything around her. Yet, I couldn't fault her for that as she was in a dire situation, and the fate of her people was hanging in the balance, but I felt that this was going to be more dangerous than she was expecting if she feels that she will be able to do something.

It's not that I doubt her abilities, yet Rarity isn't aware that the she-demon, my dark side, is somewhere inside of the Water Temple. If my friend were to encounter that horrible creature, her life would become forfeit as Sunset Demon will kill her without any mercy. " Inside the Water Temple, there are three places where you can change the water level. I'll lead the way, so follow me, quickly!"

" Maybe it's for the best if you leave the temple and let me handle this," I said.

" What!?!?" exclaimed Rarity.

" I know that you want to help the other Zoras, and that you have the ability to do so, but you don't realize that the temple is dangerous. I can't guarantee your safety because of an evil presence that is somewhere in here," I said.

" I will do no such thing as running away! My people need me to save them, and I intend on going through with this no matter what you say! I shall be accompanying you on your journey Sunset Shimmer whether you like it or not! You have no idea as to how the Water Temple is structured, and you need me anyway in order to reach the source of the curse which has my home under the deep freeze," said Rarity.

" Then I'll gladly accept your help even though I did warn you," I said.

" Warn me of what?" asked Rarity.

" The evil presence in the temple which I just spoke of....is the darkness inside of my heart given life due to the evil underneath the graveyard in Kakariko Village. It is a wicked she-demon which has assumed a form that sadly, I was once back where I come from because of my desire for wanting power long before I accepted friendship.

This creature desires to kill me and assume my life as it believes itself to be the one and only Sunset Shimmer who has drifted away from her goal in life, and it calls itself Sunset Demon who has even been granted additional power by Ganondorf himself," I replied.

" It sounds to me that you have quite a problem when it comes to the darkness within darling, but I do not mean to insult you for in truth I feel sorry for you. You need not worry about me for I have no intention of allowing this she-demon as you call it to stop me from saving my people from their icy prison. Now then, please follow me as I will lead you to the first of the three places essential to progressing through the Water Temple," said Rarity.

She then started to swim upwards in a graceful manner which was actually the first time I've seen a Zora swim, but I had to keep up with her otherwise who knows what might end up happening. I needed to switch back to my regular boots, so I did so through the usual magical means, and began to swim upwards to the surface with Rarity not that far ahead.

" I hope she knows what she's getting herself into," commented Spike.

" While I do commend her for wanting to stick to her guns, this is a situation which has become a lot worse because of that demon. As long as that creature is lurking around, none of us are safe from its wrath," I said.

" I just remembered something about the temple I mentioned when we were making our way here, and Princess Ruto's words reminded me of it. I said that the water is able to be changed at the whims of anyone who is able to figure out how to do that, and I think the princess just gave us the answer when she mentioned that we can change the water level by going to three places," said Spike.

" Then we need to get to them as soon as possible," I said.

" Perhaps it was a good thing that you decided to allow her to journey with us otherwise we never would have figured out what we need to do. I am surprised though that we have the power to adjust the water level throughout the entire dungeon, but that must be how we can reach the other rooms which are blocked off due to the water.

Once we find ourselves the Dungeon Map, I'll be sure to place a small marker in the room where one of these places are. That way, we can easily find them without having to spend forever trying to search for something so obvious," said Spike.

" I wonder how we can use these points to change the water level?" I asked.

" Princess Ruto is likely to give us that answer when we reach the surface," replied Spike. Eventually, I reached the ceiling of this large room which looked like it was going to be a dead end, but there was a small hole which I could swim through, and it turned out to connect to another small room where Rarity was waiting for me.

Along the way, I did noticed a small ledge which lead up to a wall that had quite a large crack going through it, so maybe I should come back at some point as right now I can't destroy the wall with a bomb as they don't work underwater. When I climbed out of the water, I noticed that Rarity was holding a bomb in her hand which looked really weird, but upon a closer inspection, it wasn't a bomb but rather a mask which looked liked a bomb. Without saying a word, she handed it to me where I had a puzzled look on my face.

" What's this?" I asked.

" That is the Blast Mask which I used to enter the Water Temple by strapping it onto my face. It was such a vulgar means of entry darling as who would want to blow themselves to pieces by wearing such a hideous looking mask? In any case, I have finished using it for my own purposes, so now I will give it to you because I was instructed to do so," replied Rarity.

" Someone told you to give it to me?" I asked.

" Sonata told me that I was to give this mask to you because you would know what to do with it, so here you go and I suggest that you don't use it yourself unless you enjoy losing life energy simply by blowing yourself up like a fool," replied Rarity. She then turned to her left and walked over to some kind of strange tile on the wall before turning back to me, and hinting that she wanted me to come on over.

The tile featured the symbol of the Triforce on it which must mean that it was important. " This is the first location where you can change the water level here in the temple. In order to do that, you need to play the song passed down by the royal family, and I am sure that you know of this song. You can play the song in a little while, for perhaps it would be a good idea to see what lies beyond this door?"

" What do you suggest Spike?" I asked.

" That tile isn't going anywhere, so we can ignore it for the moment, and check out what's in the next room," replied Spike.

" I find it strange though that Twilight's Lullaby is the song that causes the water to change levels," I said.

" It is a little unusual given that no one aside from the Zoras have ever set foot inside of this temple. Not even the old king was given permission to enter these grounds, so you're really lucky to be the first non-Zora to set foot in here. Perhaps it was done this way as a means of reminding the Zoras that they had forged an alliance with the old king, and this was their way of acknowledging it.

Then again, maybe it had something to do with you Sunset Shimmer seeing as you are the Hero of Time, and it is your destiny to destroy the curses plaguing the five temples," said Spike.

" Your companion would be correct about that little assumption," began Rarity.

" What do you mean?" I asked.

" Our people believed that one day, a chosen hero would enter the Water Temple in order to save Zora's Domain from a terrible evil, so we needed to set something up as a means of preparing them. It was decided that a song would be used to ensure that only he or she could change the water level, for anyone else given such knowledge would have been tempted to abuse such a power if given the chance.

The song that was chosen was the one passed down by the royal family, and it was given to my father who commanded for it to be used to activate the three sacred locations. As such, no one aside from my father, and you, knows the melody of that song," replied Rarity. I guess Twilight's Lullaby is much more important than I gave it credit for, and without it I'd probably be stuck as Ganondorf's slave.

With the decision to come back here after we checked out this other room, I entered the door with Rarity behind me as she had to be protected given that she doesn't have the means to defend herself. Inside of the next room were several Spike enemies which were clattering around completely ignoring us as they went about their business. I was honestly expecting something a little more difficult to greet us, but I wasn't about to complain....as perhaps the biggest threat around here was she-demon wherever she was.

" I can sense a strong righteous heart having entered this temple, and there is only one....person who fits that description, and I am so glad that she is now here because it means....she has taken the bait just like he said that she would. It also means that I won't....have to wait for very much longer until I can finally get my hands on her once again, and kill her so that I can become the one and only Sunset Shimmer.

She is nothing more than....a weak child who is oblivious to her true destiny, and has chosen to follow a pointless path which....will bear her nothing whereas she would have become something far greater had she taken....the path of power. Even though he wants me to kill her for his own amusement, I am doing....this for my freedom and to show her the error of her ways. Come to me my dear little Sunset Shimmer....come to me so that you and I can finally fulfill our respective destinies....please hurry up as I don't like to....be kept waiting...."

To Be Continued.

PreviousChapters Next