• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 10,770 Views, 245 Comments

My Little Pony: A New Apple - Hopeful Soul



The Apple Family tree gains a new apple as Applejack becomes a mother to a young colt. The only thing is... he's not from Equestria.

  • ...
25
 245
 10,770

Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Johnny continued to stare at the female for what seemed like forever, he was in complete shock. For the first time in his young life, he had finally met somebody who was like him, for once he wasn’t alone. It was almost too good to be true for him, while outside he was stunned, inside he was bursting with happiness. The girl on the other hand, just looked baffled by his rather strange behavior.

“What? What’s wrong?” she asked, still looking very confused and concerned.

“It can’t be…” Johnny breathed.

“What can’t be?” The girl questioned. “Who are you anyway?”

Johnny then began to circle her curiously while she looked at him strangely, he looked down her front and back and poked her a bit.

“Uh… what are you doing?” she asked him, confused. “Haven’t you heard of personal space?”

“Your… you’re like… me…” Johnny said, completely stunned.

“Uh… why are you looking at me like that?” The girl asked. She looked around. “And where are we, anyway?”

“We’re in Equestria.” Johnny replied.

“Equestria? What’s that?” Alyssa questioned.

“The name of his country, it’s where I was raised.” Johnny said.

“You were raised here?” Alyssa inquired, surprised.

“Yep.” Johnny nodded.

“By who?”

“Well, her name is Applejack.” Johnny replied.

“Applejack?” Alyssa repeated, confused. “What kind of name is that?”

“A family name.” Johnny shrugged. “Everypony in the Apple Family has a name involving Apples in some way.”

“Apple Family? Everypony?” Alyssa echoed. “What are you talking about? Who talks like that, anyway?”

“Everypony in this world I suppose.” Johnny replied, shrugging.

“Ok… I’m starting to think ‘pony’ is key here…” Alyssa mused, suspiciously.

“It is, a lot of the inhabitants here are ponies.” Johnny told her.

“Right…” Alyssa said, clearly unconvinced.

“What is… your name…?” Johnny asked, slowly.

“Alyssa. Alyssa Tao.” The girl answered. “What’s yours?”

“Mine’s Johnny. Johnny Appleseed.” The boy replied.

“Johnny Appleseed?” Alyssa repeated, surprised.

“Yeah, that’s my name.” Johnny confirmed.

“Very odd name…” Alyssa remarked.

“It’s a family name.” Johnny shrugged. “My adopted family, anyway.”

“Ah, the ‘Apple Family’.” Alyssa said, with a nonbelieving smile.

“Hey… why do you use air quote when you say ‘Apple Family’?” Johnny questioned, suspiciously.

“Because it’s obvious your making this up?” Alyssa said, as if it was completely obvious.

“But I’m not.” Johnny protested.

“Don’t play dumb!” Alyssa told him. “Just tell me what’s going on here already! Now!”

“I don’t know! I found you! How’d you get here anyway? Why were you being chased by a Timberwolf?” Johnny questioned.

“Timberwolf?” Alyssa asked, confused.

“That thing that attacked you, you’re welcome by the way.” Johnny said.

“Oh! Thank you.” Alyssa bowed, gratefully. “You saved me from that… illusion or… mirage… or… big dog or… whatever it was.”

“I told you; it’s a Timberwolf. A wolf made entirely out of wood.” Johnny stated.

Alyssa blinked. “No seriously, what was that?” she asked.

“Uh… never mind…” Johnny said, rubbing between his eyes. “So… we’re the same species… right?”

“Well… different genders, but yes.” Alyssa confirmed, nodding. Johnny looked relieved by this.

“I have so many questions… like… where do I come from? What am I?” Johnny questioned.

“We come from a planet called Earth, we’re humans.” Alyssa told him.

“Humans?” Johnny repeated.

“Yeah, think of us as… highly evolved apes.” Alyssa shrugged. “Do they have monkey’s here?”

Johnny nodded. “Yes.”

“And do they talk too?” Alyssa added, doubtfully.

“No, only creatures with hooves can.” Johnny explained.

“Of course.” Alyssa said, dryly.

“You don’t sound convinced…” Johnny observed.

“Of course I’m not! Because this is not real.” Alyssa stated.

“It’s not?” Johnny asked, confused.

“Yeah, this is obviously some kind of… coma dream or something.” Alyssa said. “I mean giant wolves made out of wood? It’s just not possible in real life.”

“Maybe not on Earth, but here in Equestria…” Johnny began.

“Stop it! You too are just another part of this dream.” Alyssa told him.

“If that’s true then how can I touch you?” Johnny questioned her.

“I don’t know… yet, but this is a very elaborate dream, I can tell you that.” Alyssa expressed.

“Hmm, if you think it’s a dream, maybe you should see Princess Celestia or Luna.” Johnny suggested.

“Princess who and who?” Alyssa questioned, confused.

“They’re the monarchs of this land.” Johnny replied.

“Monarchs?” Alyssa echoed. Johnny nodded. “Odd… usually royal figures where we come from are just old figureheads not almighty rulers.”

“Wow! That’s amazing!” Johnny gasped.

“Not really…” Alyssa said, slowly.

“To me it is, this the first time I’ve heard about stuff from my world. I’ve always wanted to know what I was and where I was from, I’m telling you, it was eating me up inside, ever since I came here as a baby.” Johnny expressed. Alyssa’s eyes then lit up upon remembering something.

“You know… I think I do know you now.” Alyssa realized. “Yeah… I heard about a famous pair of scientists who lost their son in a terrible lab accident recently…”

“Their son?” Johnny repeated, surprised.

“Yeah, it’s all in my father’s book here.” Alyssa said as she took out a little book from her white handbag. Johnny’s eyes widened.

“What does it say?” Johnny asked, interested.

Alyssa flipped through the book. “Well, fifteen years ago Dr. Richard and Elizabeth Lyons were working on a project with several other scientists to create a portal that would allow them to transport items from one place to another,” she explained. “But something went wrong, and their son, Cole, was sucked through the portal right before it collapsed on itself.”

“And Cole? That’s my name?” Johnny asked, with a bit of a smile.

“Cole Lyons, yes.” Alyssa nodded.

“Cole Lyons…” Johnny echoed, slowly. “Well, butter my biscuit. Who’d a thunk it?”

“First time hearing a normal sounding name here?” Alyssa questioned.

“Something like that.” Johnny admitted. “But everypony’s names here seem normal to me.”

“Well, you have been isolated from humans for fifteen years now so it’s really no surprise to me.” Alysa said.

“But wait… why are me and my parents written in that book?” Johnny questioned.

“Right, well this is my father’s book, he was also on the project but he didn’t give up on it. He gathered a new team, and tried it again only I’m the one who opened it and went through. I wanted to prove to my father that I'm not as helpless as he thinks I am.” Alyssa explained.

“I feel you.” Johnny expressed, sympathetically.

“You do?” Alyssa asked, surprised.

Johnny nodded. “Yeah, my Mom can be a bit protective at times.”

“Your adopted Mom?” Alyssa corrected.

“Eeyup.” Johnny confirmed.

“Well, I guess I didn’t get through since I’m dreaming right now.” Alyssa said, disappointed. “Won’t my Dad be disappointed?”

“But you’re not dreaming! Listen to me!” Johnny urged her as he put a hand on her shoulder but she shrugged it off

“No! I refuse to believe any of this is real! It goes against everything I stand for it…” Alyssa began before she began shivering like crazy.

“What’s wrong? Are you ok?” Johnny inquired, concerned.

“It’s weird… ever since I got here I sometimes feel all... tingly. Like something’s try to go right through me…” Alyssa breathed.

“That’s the magic.” Johnny said. “See, if you just believe it then you’ll…”

“There’s no such thing as magic!” Alyssa told him, firmly. “Now if you’ll excuse me…”

Alyssa turned and then began to walk off on her own.

“Where are you going?” Johnny inquired.

“To try and get a signal.” Alyssa said, as she continued to fiddle with the device in her hand. “I haven’t been able to get one since I came here.”

“Signal?” Johnny repeated, totally confused.

“Yeah, phone signal.” Alyssa said, holding up the device. Johnny just blinked, confused. “Oh, never mind.. see ya.”

Alyssa then walked off to a different part of the forest while Johnny watched her go looking upset and conflicted.


Meanwhile, at the spot where Johnny told them to wait for him, the four friends were all waiting patiently for him to return. Well, Ironhorn and Orchard Star anyway, Sunspot was currently and slowly losing her mind thanks to Wave Crasher’s non-stop bad jokes

“Ok, ok, ok, here’s another one! What’s a chimney sweeps most common ailment?” Crasher inquired, eagerly. Nopony answered for a bit until he spoke up. “The flue!”

Crasher started laughing out loud while the rest groaned and Sunspot screamed in frustration.

“Ugh, jeez! What’s taking Johnny so long!?” Sunspot complained. “I swear if I have to hear one more joke from Crasher’s mouth…”

Crasher prepares to open his mouth but a death glare from Sunspot quickly makes him stop.

“I’m sure he’ll be here soon…” Orchard said, hopefully.

“Guys!” They heard Johnny cry out.

“Johnny?” They said, as they turned around and saw their non-pony friend standing on top of a hill close by.

“See? What did I tell you?” The unicorn remarked, proudly.

The fifteen-year old human then jumped down and landed right in front of them.

“Where have you been!?” Sunspot remarked.

“Yeah, we missed you!” Wave Crasher told him.

“Ah, I’ve missed you too. Listen, I got news.” Johnny said.

“What is it, Jonathan?” Ironhorn inquired.

After a minute or two of explaining what happened, the others were all greatly shocked by what they had just heard from their non-pony friend.

“Another creature like you!?” Sunspot exclaimed.

“Another human.” Johnny corrected. “That’s the name of my species apparently… and she’s female.”

“Cool! She hot?” Crasher inquired. Orchard nudged him in response.

“Couldn’t have said it better myself.” Sunspot nodded.

“What is her name?” Ironhorn questioned, curiously.

“Alyssa Tao.” Johnny answered.

“How did she get here?” The bison added.

“Same way I did; through a portal my parents created.” Johnny replied.

“Your parents?” Orchard echoed, shocked.

Johnny nodded. “Yeah, they’re names are Richard and Elizabeth, mine is apparently Cole.”

“Wow, that’s weird name.” Wave Crasher remarked.

“Oh, like your one to talk, ‘Wave Crasher’.” Sunspot mocked. The Sea Pony just scowled.

“So? What’s she like?” Orchard inquired.

“Hard to say… she’s a little hard to get to know, and she refuses to believe any of this is real.” Johnny said.

“Well, she sounds fun.” Sunspot remarked, sarcastically.

“She’s in denial.” Johnny stated.

“I see…” Ironhorn nodded.

“Sounds like it.” Orchard Star agreed.

“On the bright side, I now know who parents are, where I’m from and my real name!” Johnny said, excitedly. “I finally got some answers!”

“Wow, Johnny! That’s great!” Orchard Star smiled.

Ironhorn nodded. “Indeed. I am happy for you.”

“Thank you.” Johnny nodded, gratefully.

“Where’s she now?” Sunspot asked.

“She headed off to ‘get a signal’ or whatever that means.” Johnny shrugged.

“You know… the longer she stays out there the more likely she will get into trouble again.” Ironhorn told him.

“Hmm… your right, I’m gonna go try to find her again.” Johnny declared as he began to leave.

“Wait, why?” Sunspot questioned. “From what I here, she doesn’t want anything to do with you or us or Equestria.”

Johnny turned to her. “She’s also the best chance I have of getting more answers. I need to know more about my species’ history.”

Orchard nodded. “We understand, Johnny.”

Johnny nodded and then began to leave.

“Yeah, go talk to her, maybe you’ll even get a date!” Wave Crasher said, smiling. The human did a double take as he turned to him.

“Date!?” Johnny said, looking somewhat freaked out.

“He’s just teasing, aren’t you Wave Crasher?” Orchard asked Crasher, sternly. The others also glared at him. He chuckled, nervously.

“Yeah… teasing…” he said, slowly.

“Ok, be back soon.” Johnny told them as he ran off before leaping back into the forest.

“There he goes…” Orchard sighed.

“Yeah, off he goes to probably ditch us for somepony of his kind.” Sunspot grumbled, cynically.

“Don’t be like that, Sunspot.” Orchard Star scolded her

“Yeah, no need to be so negative about it, Sunspot. Negativity just guarantee’s failure” Wave Crasher agreed. “Johnny just got himself some much needed answers, let him enjoy it and be positive.”

“Right.” Ironhorn nodded.

“Fine, whatever.” Sunspot grumbled.

“Speaking of positivity…” Crasher began before Sunspot knocked him out.

Sunspot sighed. “I’ve been waiting to do that for hours!”

“Hey, maybe he was going to tell a good joke.” Orchard Star guessed.

“Yes, now that is thinking positively.” Ironhorn agreed.

“Right…” Sunspot said, sarcastically. “I just hope Johnny knows what he’s getting into with this girl.”

They all looked in the direction Johnny took off in, each of them thinking the same thing Sunspot just said.


Elsewhere, Alyssa was in a more peaceful and less dangerous part of the forest studying and writing down every interesting thing should find, until she spotted a little white bunny hop over to her and she smiled a warm smile.

“Aw, how cute!” Alyssa said as she stroked the bunny’s fur. “This sure feels real… then again… maybe it is…”

“Hey! Alyssa!”

Alyssa turned around and much to surprise she saw Johnny jumping from a high place and landing near her. She then stood up.

“Cole! You found me!” Alyssa remarked.

“Just call me Johnny.” The fifteen-year old told her.

“But Cole Lyons… that’s your real name.” Alyssa pointed out.

“Well, here I’m Johnny Appleseed, a member of the Apple Family. This is where I was raised, this is my home, not Earth.” Johnny stated, firmly.

“Whatever… how did you find me anyway?” Alyssa questioned.

“I’ve gotten good at tracking things since I’ve been here, along with Applebucking and every other farm chore you can think of.” Johnny explained, shrugging.

“Hmm, very impressive.” Alyssa admitted, as they both sat down together on the grass.

“I see you’ve taken a liking to these ‘figments of your imagination’.” Johnny noted.

“Well… based on my latest hypothesis, it seems that this isn’t a dream.” Alyssa stated. “But wherever we are, it’s not magical.”

“You keep telling yourself that.” Johnny told her, amused.

“Thank you. I will.” Alyssa nodded, pleased.

“You know… during my early days here growing up because I had no friends and didn’t know who I was I spent all my time alone, I barely spoke to anypony.” Johnny expressed. “My only ‘friends’ were the animals that surround us. I still had adopted family though… but it was still pretty rough.”

“Oh… I’m sorry… I had no idea…” Alyssa said, sympathetically.

“It’s not your fault.” Johnny assured her.

“Well… you can’t say you’re the only human here anymore, can you?” Alyssa pointed out.

“Yeah… I always thought I was alone…” Johnny admitted.

“You’re not alone.” Alyssa told him, gently. “Cole… I mean Johnny… you’re not alone.”

Johnny smiled. “Thank you. And by the way… you can call me whatever you wish. Johnny Appleseed, Cole Lyons, it doesn’t matter. There both part of who I am, I’m just gonna have to accept that,” he said.

“If you say so.” Alyssa nodded, looking understanding.

“Hey, wanna meet my friends?” Johnny offered.

“I don’t know… I don’t really do ‘friends’…” Alyssa confessed. “To be honest I’m not good in social gathering of any kind.”

“But why not?” Johnny asked, baffled. “I was always taught that friends were the best things in the world.”

“That’s not what I was taught growing up.” Alyssa sighed.

“Oh… well… what were you taught?” Johnny asked her, curiously.

“That knowledge was power and in order to gain more knowledge and understand the world better we must detach ourselves from the world, remove all earthly tethers so that our spirits could be free.” Alyssa replied.

“But how can you expect to help humanity, if you’ve never been a part of it?” Johnny pointed out.

Alyssa looked a bit conflicted by what he said. “What about you? I’m sure your childhood wasn’t all fun either, leaving with just ‘ponies’ after all”

“It was… difficult, yes, but I didn’t let it crush my spirit. Plus I had my family and my friends, they helped. As far as I can tell, all you’ve had are teachers. There's a difference Alyssa.” Johnny stated. He then started talking a bit dramatically. “But don’t worry! All you have to do is put your faith in me and the magic of friendship will guide you!”

Alyssa looked at him blank faced. “Uh-huh…” she said, sarcastically. “By the way, who are these ‘friends’ of yours.”

“A Pegasus, a Unicorn, a Bison and a Sea Pony.” Johnny answered, casually.

“Ok then… so… how about I go to town and get some very nice men with a very big net.” Alyssa said with a fake smile, which Johnny saw clearly.

“Ah! I get it, you don’t believe me.” Johnny smiled.

“Clearly.” The girl said, deadpan.

“How about I prove it?” Johnny offered.

That I’d like to see.” Alyssa nodded.

“Ok, follow me.” Johnny said, as he began to walk off. Looking curious, Alyssa begins to follow him into the forest.


As the two humans made their way to the others, Orchard was still tending to Sunspot’s injured wing while Wave Crasher and Ironhorn watched from afar.

“How’s your wing?” Orchard inquired.

Sunspot flexed it a bit. “Better, thanks,” she said, gratefully.

“No problem.” Orchard smiled.

“You make an excellent nurse, Orchard Star.” Ironhorn told her. Orchard smiled and blushed in response.

“And you Sunspot make an excellent patient, so quiet… so non-violent…” Wave Crasher sighed, blissfully.

“Oh I’m gonna get violet soon and when I do I’m coming after you…” Sunspot warned him.

“Enough! I think hear them coming.” Orchard said, as she listened very closely.

“Hey, guys!”

They all turned and saw Johnny approaching them along with Alyssa.

“I’d like you to meet Alyssa. Alyssa, these are my friends.” Johnny told her.

Alyssa looked forward and her eyes widened when she saw an actual Unicorn, Pegasus, Bison and a Sea Pony, who all looked very much intelligent and totally contradicted what she was thinking before. Her mind was filled with dozens of questions till Wave Crasher suddenly interrupted her train of thought.

“Hi! How you doing?” The Sea Pony asked.

This then became too much for Alyssa and caused to faint.

Crasher blinked as he stared at the unconscious Alyssa. “Was it something I said?” he inquired.

“It’s always something you say, Wave Crasher.” Sunspot stated.

The five of them all loomed over her, curiously.

“Is she gonna be ok?” Johnny asked Orchard who tended to her.

“She’ll be fine, she just needs some rest.” Orchard said.

“Maybe singing her a song will help her!” Crasher suggested.

“She said she needs rest, not a migraine.” Sunspot told him, bluntly.

“I just hope we can convince her about all this when she wakes up.” Johnny confessed.

“And if she doesn’t?” Ironhorn inquired.

Johnny looked at her again. “Then we have a problem,” he said while they continue to gaze down upon her, their heads practically coming together like a puzzle.