• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 28,907 Views, 1,094 Comments

Friendship is Aura - KangTheGuardian



Lucario, the Aura Pokemon, and the newest resident of Equestria.

  • ...
36
 1,094
 28,907

Ponyville! Gotta Meet 'em All!

The doctors and nurses of Sacred Trot Hospital looked curiously at Lucario as he walked through the building. He paid them no mind, as he was still thinking through everything that he had learned from Twilight about Equestria. When he reached the front doors, Twilight finally caught up to him.

“Hey, wait! I still have more questions! You never finished telling me how you-”

A loud thud interrupted her question the second Lucario walked through the doors. A large wagon fell out of the sky and landed on the road a few feet away from them. Before any of them could react or question where it came from, it opened up. Flags and brass instruments erupted as music suddenly started playing from it. The most puzzling thing of all however was the pink pony that also flew out of the wagon and started singing.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! A fine welcome to you!

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I say how do you do?

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I say hip, hip hurray!

Welcome, welcome, welcome to Ponyville today!

The pink pony’s song came to an end as she slid on the ground, coming to a stop just in front of them. Lucario had no idea how to handle this surreal situation. Twilight on the other hand just rolled her eyes as if she was used to this kind of thing. Arceus help her, Lucario thought to himself sympathetically. Twilight opened her mouth to say something, but the pink pony raised a hoof to stop her.

“Wait for it…” she said with a grin. Twilight suddenly let out a cry and threw herself into a nearby bush. Lucario stared at her hiding spot in confusion when he heard a click from the wagon. He turned his head and saw an oven open up on the wagon’s side. The pink pony ran up to it and took out a freshly baked chocolate cake which she soon handed to Lucario on a plate.

“Welcome to Ponyville! I’m Pinkie Pie, and I’ll be your newest best friend forever, mister! Now that I think about it, what kind of mister are you, mister? The black fur on your face makes you look like a thief. *GASP!* You’re not a thief, are you mister? Or maybe you’re a bandit. Or maybe… omigosh, you’re a NINJA! A Ninja Mister! Show me your moves, Ninja Mister! Pleasepleaseplease-”

“Um…” Lucario had never felt so awkward in his life. This Pinkie Pie was unlike any person or pony he had ever met. He raised a spoon of chocolate cake to his mouth without even realizing it. To his astonishment, it was one of the tastiest things he had ever eaten. Deciding to humor the hyperactive pony, he continued eating while letting her speak.

“Can you cut things like rocks and trees in half? Can you move so fast that you can’t even be seen? Can you throw ninja stars and bombs at people without them noticing? By the way, what do you call ninja stars again? Sugarpens? Supergangs? No, wait, Sure-I-Cans! That’s it! That would be so funny to joke about! Your enemies would be like 'Give up, Ninja Mister! You can never defeat us!' But then you would be like 'SURE-I-CAN!' and take them all down! You’re so cool, Ninja Mis-”

“PINKIE!” An irritated voice came from the bush close to them. Pinkie looked over and noticed Twilight’s head sticking out of it.

“Oh hey, Twilight! What are you doing in the bush? Are you playing hide and seek by yourself again? You really should invite more ponies to play with you. How can someone find you when they aren’t looking for you, and how can you find someone when you aren’t looking for someone?”

“Pinkie, I wasn’t playing hide and seek.” Twilight stepped out and shook off a couple of leaves. “I hid in the bush because I thought you had put confetti in the oven and the cake in the confetti cannons again. Don’t you remember the last time you used this thing on Cranky?”

“Oh, Twilight, that was the Welcome Wagon Mark III. This is the Welcome Wagon Mark IV! It plays the songs smoother, the oven bakes cakes faster, and it comes with its own hidden balloon stash!” She opened up something on the other side of the wagon. Surely enough, several balloons floated out of it.

“How does that fix your own clumsiness of mixing up the cake and confetti?” Twilight asked.

Pinkie looked at Twilight for a few seconds before sighing and patting Lucario’s shoulder. “I’m sorry about Twilight, Ninja Mister. She can be a bit of an airhead sometimes.” Lucario nodded in response, too focused on his cake to actually listen to what Pinkie said. Twilight grunted in annoyance before deciding to change the subject.

“Anyway, Pinkie. He isn’t a ninja, or a thief, or a bandit for that matter. His name is Lucario, and he’s a-“

“……yyyyyyyyaaaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHH!” A sudden scream pierced the air, growing louder and louder by the second. Twilight looked up and noticed a familiar rainbow-colored pegasus fly towards them. Her hind leg was stretched out like a karate kick. Twilight realized that she was aiming for Lucario.

“Lucario! Look out!” She cried out to warn him. Lucario seemed to be far too busy eating his cake however. She was about to rush forward and tackle him out of the way when he suddenly spoke.

“Steel-type: Iron Defence.” His body briefly glowed in a white, metallic light. Soon after that, the pegasus kicked him straight in the face. The peel of a bell rang out from the impact before she fell to the ground, clutching her leg.

“OW! What was that about?! Argh, my hoof is all numb!” She cried in pain, rolling from one side to the other. Lucario looked down at her in annoyance, taking another bite of his cake like nothing happened.

“It’s rude to interrupt someone in the middle of their meal. I don’t know why you tried to attack me, but that pain should teach you a lesson,” he scolded her while finishing up the rest of his plate. He gave it back to Pinkie who immediately ran to the wagon to bring him a glass of juice.

“Rainbow Dash! What in the hay do you think you’re doing?!” Twilight asked the Pegasus. Her voice was almost trembling in anger.

“What I’m doing? What are YOU guys doing?! Can’t you see the diamond dog standing right next to you?” Rainbow stood up, leaning slightly on the opposite side of her pained hoof.

“He’s not a diamond dog, Rainbow! His name is Lucario, and he’s a Pokémon,” Twilight responded.

“A Poké-what?” Rainbow asked confused. Twilight was about to explain to her in detail when she realized that Rainbow probably wouldn’t understand that sort of explanation.

“He’s a creature from another world,” she said instead. Rainbow widened her eyes in response and looked over at Lucario. By now he was taking a bite out of Pinkie’s cupcakes. He was about to take a second bite when a trio of filles suddenly tackled him to the ground.

“You’re okay! You’re okay! I told you he would be okay!” Scootaloo cried out in happiness as she, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle hugged their savior from yesterday. Rainbow looked at the scene in confusion. How could the fillies push him over but not her? Lucario was startled at first by the event, but soon recognized them.

“Oh, it’s you girls. Are you all right? Nothing else happened to you in the forest, did it?” He asked while sitting back up.

“No, Applejack found us and brought us back to Ponyville after you passed out. She was the one who carried you to the hospital.” Apple Bloom pointed down the road, and Lucario noticed an orange pony wearing a hat approach them. Beside her was a white unicorn with a purple mane.

“So, um… it seems like you’re all fine and dandy today,” Applejack said. She was still a bit nervous around Lucario, but he seemed to be nice to the cutie mark crusaders. “I’m Applejack, Apple Bloom’s big sister. Thank you so much for saving them in the Everfree Forest yesterday.”

“It was no trouble,” Lucario answered. His eyes were soon drawn to the white unicorn by Applejack’s side. Her eyes were sparkling and she held a hoof in front of her mouth.

“You… look… absolutely… DASHING!” She suddenly burst out. She dashed around Lucario as if possessed. “Your fur is so colorful and stylish. It’s like you’re wearing clothes! And that mask-like pattern on your face! It makes you look so mysterious, so…” She noticed the weird look on Lucario’s face as her hooves were all over his body. She blushed and backed away, coughing awkwardly.

“Ehehe, *ehum*, my name is Rarity. I’m Sweetie Belle’s older sister and the owner of Carousel Boutique. It is Ponyville’s number one greatest fashion shop! Like Applejack, I came here to thank you for saving my sister. If you wouldn’t mind, would you allow me to use inspiration from your good looks to design my next line of clothes?” She bowed her head in plea. Lucario had heard of people designing clothes resembling his species in his world, but he had never seen them himself. He smiled and nodded.

“Of course. I hope they turn out great.” Rarity beamed at his answer and jumped up and down in joy.

“Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! I assure you they are going to be Equestria’s next greatest hit! Oh, I can’t wait to start-”

“Um…” No one almost heard the quiet voice speaking behind Applejack and Rarity. They turned around and noticed a yellow pegasus with a pink mane standing behind them. “I… I heard that some poor creature in the forest got hurt yesterday, and… I thought it was so terrible that I…” She looked past her friends and noticed Lucario.

“Oh… wow!” she exclaimed and rushed up to him. “I’ve never seen an animal like you before. Are you a new species? I’m… I’m so happy I don’t even know what to say.” Her wings flapped in the air, making her float in front of Lucario. “I’m Fluttershy. What’s your name?”

“My name is Lucario.” He smiled at the innocent pony. “I’m surprised that you chose to visit me despite having never met me before. You’re far too kind.”

“Oh… so it was you who were injured yesterday? Are you okay? I hope I’m not troubling you…” She floated back down and kicked the ground shyly. Lucario was about to answer when he suddenly noticed the sky. The sun was sinking down under the horizon, and it was starting to get darker.

“I’m sorry everyone, but I must cut our greeting short. I must go somewhere, and I’m afraid it can’t wait until tomorrow.” He turned towards Twilight. “Twilight, in what direction did the explosion come from?”

Twilight looked at him in surprise before pointing a hoof to the west. “It was that way, about 5 kilometers in. But you’re not planning to go in there now, are you? The forest is even more dangerous during the night!”

“I’ll be fine, I promise you.” Lucario answered. He didn’t want to risk waiting too long before searching the site. “I’m glad to have met you all, but don’t worry about my safety. I’ll be back well before morning.” He started to walk away from the group. Pinkie waved him goodbye as she finished up the rest of the snacks. Twilight was about to object when Lucario’s body started glowing yellow.

“Electric-type: Magnet Rise.” To the shock of everypony present, Lucario floated up into the air and flew towards the Everfree Forest at high speeds. All of them simply stared after him for a minute, mouths open. Scootaloo was the first to break the silence.

“See?! I told you he was cool!”


Lucario flew past the borders of the forest. After flying about two kilometers in, he closed his eyes. The appendages on the back of his head floated up as the world changed around him. Everything was now covered in blue, gentle flames. A world devoid of all other colors, yet he could make out everything in it. He saw the air flying past him. He saw the trees rushing past beneath him. He saw all kinds of animals walking around on the ground. If he reached out, he could even detect things too far away for his normal eyesight to see.

This was one of the primary powers known by the Guardians of the Aura. Sir Aaron had taught him this technique just a few weeks after he arrived at the Cameran Palace. The memories of his past life still pained him, so Lucario shook them off as he continued his search. Soon enough, he noticed a large crater a few hundred meters ahead of him. He started to descend, eventually landing at the site. The trees around the crater were either burned or broken. Whatever animals that had lived in this area were now long gone. The focus of his attention however was at the crater’s center.

A brown staff stood planted in the ground. Its top featured a metal head and metal weights hung from its side. It was the staff once owned by Sir Aaron himself. As Lucario walked up to it, he noticed crystal shards lying around the ground. They were the remains of the large crystal that once had been in the center of the metal head.

Lucario picked up one of the shards and studied it. It was a more concentrated form of the aura crystals that Sir Aaron had showed him in Rota. From what he remembered, they had the ability to store aura and transport it to other places. For the most part, they had used it to communicate with each other during missions around the kingdom. Now he wondered if the crystal in the staff had featured other powers as well.

He activated his Aura Sense again to study the shards. He didn’t get far before noticing that he wasn’t alone. There were no animals on the ground, but he could feel some sort of energy flying around a large distance above him. It wasn’t a regular animal or pony, that was for certain. He stood up slowly, once again glowing yellow as he activated Magnet Rise. But this time he had to mix it up with another technique.

Normal-type: ExtremeSpeed. Suddenly, Lucario disappeared from sight. During the blink of an eye he crossed the distance between him and his watcher. Lucario channeled his aura, creating an orb of blue energy at the end of his paw. The being barely had any time to react before it was mere inches away from colliding with the Aura Sphere Lucario held towards it.

“I’m not fond of being stalked. Who are you, and what do you want?” he asked. He had noticed that the being lacked a physical form. Instead it looked like a cloud of stardust, barely visible against the night sky. For a moment, it just stood still, as if it was studying him. Suddenly, it started glowing, forming the limbs and body of a pony. As the light settled, the cloud was replaced by a dark blue pony with a sparkling mane.

“I could ask you the same thing, stranger,” she replied. For a moment, Lucario somewhat lowered his arm. This pony was unlike any he had met so far. She was somewhat bigger than the other ponies, and featured both a pair of wings and a horn. But what took him off guard the most was her eyes. They stared straight into his without a glimmer of fear or uncertainty. Back in Rota, his friends and enemies alike had commented on how special his own eyes seemed. Like they feared nothing and hid a deep secret that no one knew of. Now he felt the same thing looking back at the light blue eyes in front of him. He mentally shook himself out of his trance and raised his arm again.

“You are the one who were watching me behind my back. But my name is Lucario, if that will put your mind at ease.”

The pony hesitated briefly before answering. “I am Princess Luna, Mistress of the Night, and one of the co-rulers of Equestria. You would be wise not to draw my wrath by threatening me like that.” She gestured toward the Aura Sphere in Lucario’s hand. She seemed surprised when Lucario lowered his arm almost immediately. The sphere discharged harmlessly in his paw.

“Twilight Sparkle told me about you. She told me that you and your sister controlled the sun and the moon. I’m sorry for threatening you like that, your highness.” He bowed his head, again taking Luna by surprise. She had not expected him to be so respectful.

“Y-Your actions are excused this time,” she said. Her voice stumbled and she silently cursed her nervousness. “As for who you are, I already know. I’ve been overhearing your conversations with Twilight and her friends.” Lucario raised his head at this. Luna could detect some annoyance in his red eyes. Apparently this creature hadn’t lied when he said that he wasn’t fond of stalkers. “Understand that I did it out of concern over my subjects. You came from a different world than ours, and thus your personality and intentions were unknown.” They still pretty much are, she added in her head. Lucario looked away as he considered her position.

“Very well. I understand.” He eventually answered. “You had only needed to come and ask me personally though. I would have answered anything you wanted to know.”

Luna’s frown suddenly changed into a curious smile. “Oh? Just like how you answered Twilight’s question about how you got here?”

Lucario’s mind was instantly filled with the painful memories. Luna raised her chin triumphantly as she continued. “Know that you are but an uninvited visitor in our world, Lucario. As a princess, we demand that whatever secrets you hold of your past will be revealed to me.” She finished her demand and studied Lucario’s reaction. On the outside, he was still as calm and collected as ever, but his mind was in turmoil. He was not yet ready to share those events with the inhabitants of this world. After all, it was all in the past now. Neither was he sure how such a tale would affect the seemingly innocent minds of the ponies he had met so far. He needed to make an excuse. As he stared back at Luna’s eyes, an idea came to him.

“That’s a little strange coming from you, Princess.” Luna blinked in surprise. “I thought you of all ponies would understand how much we sometimes want to forget the past.”

Luna leaned back in shock. Had this creature already heard the history of Nightmare Moon? As if he read her mind, he continued. “I don’t know what past event you are trying to hide, but I can see it in your eyes. That kind of fearless determination that one only obtains when they want to make up for a past mistake. I understand that you’re worried about me and my past life, but so am I about yours now. Shall we let our pasts remain where they are, or tell each other together?”

Luna’s mouth tried to work itself into speaking. Her past as Nightmare Moon was still fresh in the minds of her subjects. It shouldn’t trouble her at all to speak of them to this creature. Yet something stopped her. She wanted the world to forget about Nightmare Moon. Let it turn into nothing more but a myth to scare little fillies with. Lucario’s words had been filled with confidence, but she could see his eyes almost pleading for her understanding. At last she sighed and looked away.

“Very well. I will allow you to keep your past for now, no matter how much I dislike it.”

Lucario bowed his head again. “I’m sorry, Princess. But thank you.” Luna was about to answer him when she unintentionally let out a loud yawn. She immediately covered her mouth with her hoof, a large blush spreading across her face. Sadly, Lucario noticed everything and he chuckled in response. “Are you tired, Princess? Perhaps we should save this conversation for another day?”

Luna’s blush increased in intensity. This time it was both from embarrassment and anger. “D-Don’t be ridiculous! I’m the Princess of the Night; I never get tired under the moon.” She wouldn’t admit it, but she had been awake for most of the day waiting for Lucario to wake up.

“In any case, I better return to Ponyville and find someplace to sleep.” Lucario replied. “If you want to talk with me more, you know where to find me.” He turned around and prepared to leave. A sudden thought stopped him from taking off. “Oh, wait a minute.”

He dived back down to the crater below them. Using Psychic, he collected the crystal shards and drew the staff out of the ground. He flew back up to Luna and floated everything over to her. “This is the staff my mentor used to transport me to Equestria. Here, you look after it.”

Luna was taken aback by Lucario’s unexpected offer. “W-What? Why are you giving me these?”

“First off, you wanted to know how I got here. With luck, you could maybe find your answers by studying this. Secondly, I trust that you will be able to keep them safer than me, being royalty and all. Thirdly…” He turned around as Luna picked up the objects with her magic. “I don’t think that I was meant to return.” He glanced over at Luna one more time. “Good night, Princess Luna.”

He then flew off, leaving Luna by herself. She stared after him for a while, processing everything she had learned about him so far. While his past still remained a mystery to her, his overall character was far better than she had expected. He was friendly and cooperative, but also intelligent. She had no idea how he had managed to figure out that she was trying to hide her past as well. She remembered his red eyes, studying her very soul as they stared at each other. She found her blush returned to her face for no apparent reason. She shook her head, channeled her magic, and teleported away.


In a far-off cave, deep within the Everfree Forest, a giant woke up from its slumber. It could hear the gossip of the animals everywhere. They told of the new creature that had scared off the entire timberwolf pack by himself. They all feared him… respected him.

Smoke blew through its nostrils as the behemoth slowly stood up, stretching its limbs. The last time it was awake, it had been the ruler of the forest. It was about time that its inhabitants, and this newcomer, learned that.

To be continued…


Author's Note:

Ooh, things are about to get real!

We managed to get the other main 6’s introductions out of the way in this chapter. Also, we had the first meeting between Lucario and Luna. Surely nothing would come out of that, right? /trollface

The chapter was longer this time around. I hope all of you enjoy that.

Today’s reference in the chapter name…come on. Do I really have to tell you guys? *sigh* Ok, fine: 01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100110 01100101 01110010 01100101 01101110 01100011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01010000 01101111 01101011 01100101 01101101 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110011 01101100 01101111 01100111 01100001 01101110 00100000 00100010 01000111 01101111 01110100 01110100 01100001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110100 01100011 01101000 00100000 00100111 01100101 01101101 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100001 00100010 00101110. Figure that out.

Next up in Friendship is Aura: The first layer of darkness falls over Ponyville. Oh, I can’t wait to write about this!

- KangTheGuardian -