• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 2,013 Views, 44 Comments

The Great and Powerful Trixie Bakes a Cake - Admiral Biscuit



Home from school, with nothing worth watching on the TV, Trixie heads for the kitchen to make a peanut butter and chocolate masterpiece.

  • ...
5
 44
 2,013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake

The Great and Powerful Trixie Bakes a Cake
Admiral Biscuit

Trixie trudged into her home, and tossed her backpack at the hall closet. She kicked behind her to shut the front door, before shuffling down the hallway and into the living room. With a dramatic sigh to the empty room, she collapsed on the threadbare couch. One hand fumbled around for the TV remote, while the other began unlacing her boots.

She clicked on the TV, and proceeded to ignore it entirely as she tugged her boots off, letting out a contented sigh as her feet were finally free to breathe again. She wiggled her toes victoriously.

Her jacket went next, tossed over the back of the couch. Finally relaxed and stretched out, she began surfing through channels, giving each show thirty seconds to entertain her before she moved on to the next.

Depressingly, there was not a single thing on TV which caught her fancy.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie demands entertainment,” she told the cable box, before spitefully turning it off. “Since you can’t provide it, the Great and Powerful Trixie will . . . bake a cake.”

She jumped to her feet and headed up to her bedroom. She couldn't bake a cake in her school clothes; she might get them dirty. One quick change that would have done the Masked Matter-Horn proud later, she was wearing a comfortable halter top and sweatpants with “Colts” printed up the outside of both legs.

“Alright. Time for Trixie to wow the audience.” Trixie turned on the radio and began opening cupboards.

She needed no cookbook. She was a master of the culinary arts. Her fingers danced across the stove's buttons and knobs, setting the oven to 350°.

Trixie pulled a large glass mixing bowl out of the cupboard and quickly measured out brown sugar, peanut butter, and oil. She grabbed a wooden spoon out of a repurposed coffee can and twirled it between her fingers like a baton, before attacking the sweet ingredients in the bowl, mixing them together with broad strokes.

Once they were well-combined, she cracked two eggs into the mix, and about a capful of vanilla extract, pouring it with a bartender's flourish. “Are you going to Scarborough Fair?” She sang along with the radio, her dulcet voice blending perfectly with the radio. She cradled the bowl just under her breasts, dancing around the kitchen as she worked. Baking is magic—making something out of nothing.

She set that bowl aside and grabbed another, filling it with the flour, baking powder, and a tiny bit of salt. Trixie worked it with her fingers, feeling when it was perfectly combined into a homogenous mass. Back to the main bowl, she alternated between adding buttermilk and the flour blend. “Parsely, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.” None of that for the cake, of course.

Her batter complete, she pulled open the corner cabinet with a foot and twirled around the lazy susan until she found a 9 x 3 round baking pan. She pulled it off the shelf with a foot and kicked it up into her waiting hands, spun it on a finger, and then flipped it onto the counter with a flourish. “Tell him to make me a cambric shirt,” she told the pan, spinning on a heel to head for the fridge.

The pan was still rocking back and forth with a gentle 'whong, whong' when she returned with a stick of butter. She greased the pan, and then poured the batter in, scraping the bowl clean with a spatula, then cleaning the spatula with her tongue. “Tell him to wash it in yonder well.” She spun it between her fingers one more time, then flipped it into the sink, holding her arms up victoriously as it splashed down in the soapy water.

Before putting her soon-to-be masterpiece in the oven, she squinted through the glass at the thermometer hanging from the oven rack, making sure that it was actually 350. It was; so Trixie held the pan proudly aloft in one hand, opened the door with the other, and slid the pan into the oven.

She set the silly cow-shaped kitchen timer to thirty minutes, and allowed herself a brief break, snatching a can of iced tea from the fridge.

Trixie downed half the can, then slammed it on the counter. She rinsed out the two mixing bowls, then began preparing the frosting. After all, a cake without frosting was a travesty.

The rest of the butter went into the bowl, along with more peanut butter. Trixie loved peanut butter, and if she had her way, everything would come with peanut butter. Of course, her hips and butt didn't love peanut butter, so maybe it was better that it was a treat, rather than a staple.

She mixed it until it was smooth and creamy, and then began adding confectioner's sugar and heavy cream. Seized by an irresistible impulse, she also mixed in some cocoa powder, because chocolate peanut butter frosting would be just a little bit better than plain peanut butter frosting.

Her talented spoon-work quickly blended the frosting, and she set it off to the side. The ever-bountiful refrigerator yielded up a cold Manwich, which—along with the rest of her can of tea—made up the bulk of her dinner. She could have put it on a plate, and set herself a place at the table, but she didn't. It was much more relaxing to lean back against the kitchen counter and eat it that way.

Of course, enjoying it this way, she ran the risk of stray bits falling down her top, but she didn't care. It was much nicer to be eating in the kitchen, surrounded by the smells of baking and the warmth of the oven than alone in the cold dining room.

She was elbow deep in hot soapy water when the timer dinged. The cake passed the toothpick test, so she set it on a trivet to cool, waiting for an eternal five minutes for it to be ready to remove from the pan.

As it was cooling on a rack, protected from the harsh metal wires by a sheet of waxed paper, Trixie washed all the dishes, dried them, and put them away. She hated a messy kitchen.

The next part was the longest, boringist part of making a cake, and Trixie had no intention of being around for it. The cake needed to cool enough that the frosting wouldn't melt as soon as it was applied, so she went upstairs to take a shower.

In the morning, before she went to school, her showers were quick and business-like. The goal was to get clean as quickly as possible, saving enough time for her morning grooming and a bowl of cereal.

At night, though . . . she undressed and admired herself in the mirror as the water warmed up, waiting until the fog had totally obscured the reflection of her perfect figure, before she opened the glass door and stepped into steamy bliss.

She took her time washing herself, and when was done, she turned her back to the showerhead and let it beat down and finish the stress-relaxation that baking had started. If it hadn't been for the limits of a hot-water heater, Trixie could take a shower forever. Dad sometimes complained about how long she was in the bathroom— but he wouldn’t be back from work for hours, so she stayed until the water began cooling down, before reluctantly shutting off the water and getting out of the shower.

Naturally, the towel bar was vacant. She darted into the hallway long enough to grab a new one from the linen closet, before returning to the steamy warmth of the bathroom.

After her skin was dry, she put her sweatpants and halter top back on, then wrapped her hair in a clean towel. She skipped down the steps, the cake practically in her mouth already.

Working carefully with a large kitchen knife, she cut it in half, put a thick layer of frosting on the bottom, and flipped the top over so it would be flat. That meant more frosting towards the edge, but that wasn't a bad thing.

In no time at all, the cake was completely frosted, and she garnished it with fresh mint leaves.

She eyed her creation critically, examining it from every angle, before cutting herself a slim sliver. In her mind, cooking show judges were giving her praise for her magnificent cake, commending her daring use of ingredients and her bold presentation. Just you wait until you taste it, she thought, and forked a piece into her mouth.

It was the flavor dreams are made of. If perfection were a cake, it would have been this cake. Trixie let out a very unladylike moan, and forced herself to eat it slowly, savoring every bite.

At times like these, Trixie was utterly convinced that baking was magic. None of the ingredients by themselves—except for the peanut butter—could approach the nirvana of the whole cake.

She could have eaten the whole thing, but she didn't, tempting though the idea was. She gave her plate a regretful look before licking it clean, and washing it off in water that was no longer hot.

Author's Note:

A One-Shot-Ober fic

Want to bake that cake?
Killer peanut butter cake

Comments ( 44 )
Comment posted by The Cynical Brony deleted Oct 31st, 2014
Comment posted by The Cynical Brony deleted Jul 11th, 2015

That cake sounds tasty, but I'd rather have Trixie for dessert.

Very nice story! :pinkiehappy: I enjoyed it alot! I'm just like trixie. I love peanut butter :twilightsmile:

Slice Of Life at its finest, and oddly in-character, too, despite the premise. Kudos!

EDIT: And right after posting this, I realize it's by the same author as "Sonata grabs Twilight's Peaches"

A literal slice of life! :pinkiehappy:

A literal 'Slice of Life,' Trixie is pleased with how you portrayed her and the delicious cake. :pinkiehappy:

Huh. Based on all the down votes, I guess negative criticism isn't welcomed around these comments.

5209030 Psst, it was the whole "FIrst" thing...which, BTW, is a violation of site rules, even if you were "just kidding".

On the story itself...

It's...pretty much just there. It's not bad, it's not great, it just is what it is.

Its a Reeces Peanut Butter Cake! :rainbowkiss:

Comment posted by The Cynical Brony deleted Jul 11th, 2015

5210016 You never SEE the mods enforcing rules. That doesn't mean they aren't being enforced. Trust me, they're punishing first-posters.

Okay, I can get why my first post got down-voted, by why my review of it?

Comment posted by The Cynical Brony deleted Jul 11th, 2015

5210048 Nobody said you are getting punished for it except you...ARE you? In any case, it IS written, it's just not written in a clear place. The mods also occasionally remind us all about first-posting. So...just don't do it, okay?

Also, apologies to this story's author for monopolizing the comments section of your story with this. :twilightsheepish:

Great! Now I'm hungry. At least I get cake tomorrow for my birthday. :pinkiesmile:

Got me hungry... Hungry at 4:15 am, not a good thing when you should sleep...

5207752
I don't think you're alone there.

5208074

Slice Of Life at its finest, and oddly in-character, too, despite the premise. Kudos!

Thanks!

EDIT: And right after posting this, I realize it's by the same author as "Sonata grabs Twilight's Peaches"

I have many talents.

5210622

Great! Now I'm hungry. At least I get cake tomorrow for my birthday.

Did you? Was it good?

Trixie really likes her cake, huh?

Now you've made ME hungry, Trixie. :rainbowlaugh:

The story was kind of blah, but I made the cake and it was awesome.

:trixieshiftleft: :Seriously?

Okay it really was a nice slice-of-cake story starring Trixie. I would not have imagined that a simple cake story could have so much detail.

And yes, I totes made that cake for real. Only I didn't have any fresh mint so I used fresh cut peanut butter cups instead.

If a moan is unladylike, does that mean it sounded like a man?:trixieshiftleft:

5220449
Peanut-butter chocolate cake. What's not to love? It's like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, but it's a cake.

If I had any confidence in my baking skills, I'd make it myself.

5224894
You've made my day. :pinkiehappy:

I can only hope that the cake was as good as I described it.

5229629

It was delicious. Like a tiny slice of peanut-buttery heaven. It was so rich though, I can't imagine eating the whole cake at one sitting.

:trixieshiftright: :The advantages of a teenager's metabolism I guess.

You should really work up your culinary courage and make this cake. Your taste buds will thank you.

5229889

You should really work up your culinary courage and make this cake. Your taste buds will thank you.

I am discouraged by the fact I once started a fire by boiling water (no, I am not making that up). But it does sound lovely, and I suppose there are worse things to take away from MLP fanfiction than an awesome cake.

Now this was a delightful read; no drama, no violence. Just a relaxing venture with our favorite Canterlot High student.
On a side note, I am so gonna make that cake! Well done! Keep up the amazing work and stay awesome, mate!

5348433
I've had two people tell me they've made the cake so far, and they both liked it. It's pretty much the cake version of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

There should be more food fics!

5363328
This was somewhat inspired by a fic in which Rainbow Dash tried to bake something, and the story included a recipe at the end. I can't remember what it was called, though. There was also an Iron Chef story starring Pinkie Pie I read years ago, but unfortunately I can't remember and other details on that one, either.

Baking is the tastiest of all sciences.:twilightsmile:

It was the flavor dreams are made of. If perfection were a cake, it would have been this cake. Trixie let out a very unladylike moan, and forced herself to eat it slowly, savoring every bite.

Food porn?
geekorner.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma-episode-1-18-26_2015-04-04_00-36-27.jpg

I mean, what do we have here, EqG Trixie bakes a cake... and takes a shower because reasons.

~Leonzilla

6900070
Food porn. Also, when Rinnaul reviewed the story, he gave the cake a very high rating. No less than three people have baked this very cake.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Trixie shares my beliefs about frosting. :B This is very important to me.

6909222
Frosting is wonderful.

In her mind, cooking show judges were giving her praise for her magnificent cake...

...and washing it off in water that was no longer hot.

For these lines, and these lines alone, you get a thumbs-up.

7691382

For these lines, and these lines alone, you get a thumbs-up.

:heart:

After initially reading this short story several years ago (7/28/2017), I returned to it about three weeks ago (12/20/19) whilst reviewing the literature that appealed to me most on FiMfiction. Since then, I thought several times about how you transformed the ordinary activity of baking a cake into an entertaining excerpt from the amusing adventures of the Great & Powerful Trixie, until your writing inspired me: last Friday, I decided to follow the recipe & bake a peanut-butter cake today (without chocolate).

Below, I enclosed pictures of the result:
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315983422806032384/666006281404022785/image0.jpg
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315983422806032384/666006293437480990/image0.jpg

Naked cake cooling, before I sawed it in half & conjoined its two severed halves together with frosting:
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315983422806032384/666006317357596682/image0.jpg


I also sent your story to my brother, & he enjoyed it as well (though he never watched a full episode of MLP:FiM before yesterday); we recommend literature to one another, periodically. He mentioned that the following line proved especially well-written, exemplifying Trixie's melodramatic personality:

"...she tugged her boots off, letting out a contented sigh as her feet were finally free to breathe again. She wiggled her toes victoriously."

10030772

After initially reading this short story several years ago (7/28/2017), I returned to it about three weeks ago (12/20/19) whilst reviewing the literature that appealed to me most on FiMfiction.

Woo hoo! Appealing literature!

Since then, I thought several times about how you transformed the ordinary activity of baking a cake into an entertaining excerpt from the amusing adventures of the Great & Powerful Trixie,

Heh, that’s what I go for with Slice of Life--make an ordinary thing interesting.

until your writing inspired me: last Friday, I decided to follow the recipe & bake a peanut-butter cake today (without chocolate).

Huzzah! The story continues to inspire cake-making!

Below, I enclosed pictures of the result:

Ooh, looks tasty.


I also sent your story to my brother, & he enjoyed it as well (though he never watched a full episode of MLP:FiM before yesterday); we recommend literature to one another, periodically.

That’s awesome! I know a lot of people kind of like to keep reading MLP on the down-low especially with their families, but by golly there’s a lot of good stuff here on FimFic. Right as I was getting started writing, I found a couple of stories I thought my parents would like and printed them out and gave them to them, so they’ve been supportive about my writing, which is really nice. Although sometimes they wish I’d write something more commercially viable :rainbowlaugh:

He mentioned that the following line proved especially well-written, exemplifying Trixie's melodramatic personality:

Heh, it really does, doesn’t it? She’s such a drama horse.

derpicdn.net/img/view/2019/8/5/2109275.png

a capful of vanilla extract

...My brain read that as 'cupful' at first, and I just about had a stroke! :facehoof:

That cake sounds hella delicious though, maybe I should bake one sometime. :pinkiehappy:

10392589

...My brain read that as 'cupful' at first, and I just about had a stroke! :facehoof:

No, don’t do a cupful, that’s way too much!

That cake sounds hella delicious though, maybe I should bake one sometime.

Couple of readers did, Maybe I should bake one sometime. . .

Login or register to comment