• Published 14th Nov 2014
  • 299 Views, 1 Comments

To The Stars - Pogosticksforbreakfast



A pony goes into space by order of Princess Celestia. Crossover with the game Starbound.

  • ...
 1
 299

Chapter I - The Beginning

“Ughhh…” I murmered to myself as I woke up. I frantically looked around, before realizing where I was. I was in my spaceship, one that Princess Celestia supplied to me to colonize the outer world. You see, It was a normal Saturday in Equestria. Ponies bustled about, foals played in their backyards, pegasi flew through the sky, some making sure that the weather was nice, some flying for fun. A strange, hostile alien being landed in the middle of the Ponyville town hall, and it promptly decided to set the building alight. A ton of ponies rushed to the scene, and I was on the front lines. I fought it off with all the spells I could use, while pegasi put out the fire and earth ponies kicked the unknown being. It was hard, but it was soon defeated, it’s particles disassembling momentarily and creating a fine dust on the ground for a second, then the particles reassembling created a blocky thing. Basically, It died and dropped a pixel. This alerted the princesses and they said that they needed ponies to go into space. I volunteered.

As I climbed into the comfortable seat, the ship blast off. Unfortunately, my ship ran out of fuel above a random planet and I was forced out of the rotating, reclining seat and onto the ground, knocking me out cold. Next thing I knew, I was waking up on the cold, metal floor. I looked around in my ship (Not that I hadn’t looked around it before, but I hadn’t really looked at it in detail). I found it had a 3D printer and a storage locker. I rummaged around there and found some seeds, a sword, a flashlight, and a strange electronic device shaped like a U with a trigger. I realized it as a Matter Manipulator, some sort of experimental technology I had seen on TV before. My hoof fit perfectly into the device, but reaching the trigger was kinda hard. I stared out of the blast-resistant glass at the purple planet below me. As I walked into the circular teleporter, I noticed the engine’s dim hum. I was completely stuck in space, no contact with Equestria, only a codex thing to read. As soon as I put in my destination, I felt my particles assembling into a beam.

As I touched down, I noticed that the planet was a fire planet. “Weird…” I said, as I walked on the rocky red obsidian. I came to a solitary laboratory. I deducted that the lab must have belonged to monkey people of some sort, because why else would there be a bananna propaganda poster? “OOF!” I had somehow walked into a rounded steel desk that I hadn’t noticed because I was pouring over the architecture and technology in the lab. “Woah.” A computer. That’s just what I needed! I hopped into the luxurious seat and tried to boot up the computer, but to no avail. I walked out, 2 pieces of diamond ore jingling in my pocket. I discovered another lab as I walked. I looted it, and kept walking.

“Ugh, I’m hungry!” I cut down a few trees to make a bonfire, but what would I cook? That’s when it hit me: I needed to hunt. I made a weak bow from some vines and wood. A alien came up behind me and I shot it. That night, I ate well and slept warmly as the fire’s warmth covered me like a blanket, my sleeping bag providing a soft, sturdy surface to rest on. The warm embers came to a minimum as I woke, the dying light weak against the daylit ground. I stamped out the fire, and put the materials in my pack. I continued walking, snacking on a piece of alien jerky when I got hungry.
I eventually came to a giant lab. I found a crazy testing chamber below it, filled with electric spikes that surely would kill me if I touched them. As I made it across, my hooves clattered on the steel platforms scattered across the chamber. I eventually made it across, finding a pulse dash tech in a chest. I parkoured my way back, using the tech when I could.

I found a miniboss and defeated him, getting a Bad-A** earcarnage. Yes, the sword was named that. The serrated, gold sword had a magical fiery essence in it, one that would light monsters on fire. I was quickly hungry again, so I hunted and relit my fire with a torch that somehow, by some stretch of equestrian magic, never died and never lit my pack on fire. I began to write as the meat was cooking, taking a break to eat, then going back to writing. I quickly fell asleep, the warmth radiating from the combustion of the organic material (The fire) warming me. I woke up, stamped out my fire, and continued on my adventure.

I warped back to my ship, and went to the planet that orbited the planet I was on seconds ago. It was more comfortable, being a non-fire planet, and I soon came across a village. The civilians were some sort of being made out of plants. They were nice, but the guards were protective of their kin. They would ask you to put the weapon away if you had one in your hoof (Or hand) by saying “Floran not like ssstabbing when othersss do it. Away.” or “Shooty thingy make Floran go Hisssss.” If you pulled out a weapon in front of them again, they would say “Ssstabby time!”.

I talked to some of the locals. Some said that their lord Greenfinger said nothing about “Small horsies”. One wanted to brush my mane. Some even wanted to EAT me! I promptly replied “No sir, you do not want to eat me. No.”

I did find something worthwhile, though. BOOKS. I took them from the chest, bringing them with me. They were filled with Floran tales of knights and dragons, the far future, and magic. The Floran were a primitive race, but nice.

Their architecture was notable too. The buildings ranged between small huts to tree skyscrapers to apartment-like buildings. It was becoming night again. I found a place to rest, well away from the Floran village. Relighting my fire, I began to fall into a deep sleep, not having slept in over 12 hours. A monster snuck up on me, trying to kill me. “GAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I yelled. “GET OFF ME!” I shouted, as if it could understand me. I pulled back the string of my bow, with no arrow, to propel the alien back. I stuck my fiery sword into the ground, jumped over and behind it, and went into a cannonball pose and fired. ‘Boosh’ ‘Shing’ ‘FWOOMP.’ “Bingo!’ The monster was sliced in half by the sword, exposing the meat of the monster. I picked the sword up and used it to carve out multiple pieces of meat. I used a arrow as a skewer to cook the meat, snacking on the tasty, piping-hot meat.

Oh hey, I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Night Star, a unicorn. My coat is the type of maroon you see in a sunset, albeit a bit darker, and my eyes are a blazing blue-green, the same color as a gem I came across while walking on the outskirts of Ponyville. I found the stone and I picked the jade-sapphire gem up, put it in my bag, and used my hoof to dig a small hole. “Ow!” A sharp thing poked against my hoof. It was a ruby, the same color as my coat. I kept the two gems as my lucky charms. Anyways, my mane and tail are straw-colored and messy, although sometimes I brush my mane. I’m fiercely loyal, and I’m pretty good at using magic.

That night, I had a dream I was back home. It was one of those dream-message-omen things that you always hear about in books. Princess Celestia was talking to me, guiding me, helping me. “Night Magykious Star, you are doing a great job with your quest.” “Um… Thank you, princess.” Right then, something terrible happened. It was a full invasion. Those two-legged evolved monkeys called Humans attacked, and the castle dissolved into hexagons. I was stuck on one, floating away on an endless sea of white. I took out my lucky gem, the blue-green one. Somehow, that was the gate back to the real world, as I awoke. I found the gem in my hoof, twinkling in the mid-sized fire that was to the left of my comfortable red sleeping bag.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading this story! Props to Chucklefish, the people who made this site, and Hasbro!