• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 7,806 Views, 95 Comments

Mending Hearts:Fluttercord - atomicpuffin



Discord has messed up bad this time. He knows it and vows to make it up to the mare that means everything to him.

  • ...
6
 95
 7,806

Chapter One

***Disclaimer: All characters are owned by their respective parties.***


Discord stood watching Tirek as he laughed at the five ponies in the steel cage.

"Why are you doing this?! I thought we were friends." Fluttershy cried holding Applejack. He felt a pull at his heart when he saw her tear-filled eyes, but quickly covered it up with sarcasm.

"Oh we were... surely you saw this coming."

"I didn't, I really didn't." She sobbed.

Tirek then levitated the cage and the five screamed as he began to absorb their magic, Discord had to turn away unable to ignore the pain in his chest.

Suddenly the land around him shifted

What the... He thought as he looked around him watching Ponyville, Tirek, and the five ponies melt away. There was fog everywhere and it was completely silent.

Discord continued to look around, but could no longer see the one thing he desperately needed to.

"Fluttershy! Fluttershy! Fluttershy!"

Discord sat up shouting her name aloud. He lost his balance and tumbled out of bed, but since it was on the ceiling he crashed to the floor.

"Owwww." He rubbed his head and looked around his chaotic room. He sighed, he was back in his room at the castle in the Everfree Forest. It had been awarded to him by Princess Twilight after he helped defeat Tirek. She had told him that it would be his land and he would have the freedom to use his chaos magic how he wished there so long as it didn't affect any pony outside of the area.

He grimaced as he stood up, not that he really deserved any praise, let alone a reward since he could have ended Tirek's rampage a lot sooner than he did.

The image from his dream flashed into his mind and he realized the guilt was still clawing at him. Even if his friends said they had forgiven him for what he had done, he hadn't.

Especially after what he had done to Fluttershy. She was his first and truest friend always standing by his side even when others were quick to suspect the worst of him.

Now look how he had repaid all that wonderful kindness she had shown him, he had broken her heart.

He covered his face with his hands and sighed.

"I'll make it up to you Fluttershy, I swear."


Fluttershy yawned and stretched in her bed taking a deep breath. There was such a sweet aroma in the air. She opened one eye slowly, sitting next to her bed was a bouquet of roses. She blinked and sat up fully, looking around she let out a small gasp.

Her room was covered with flowers, everywhere she looked there was a vase of roses, lilies, tulips, the list went on.

"Oh my." She gently got out of bed, careful not to knock over any of the vases. She went to her bedroom door and opened it slowly peeking out into the hall. She opened the door fully and looked down, there was a single rose laying on the floor.

She picked it up and stared at it in confusion. Then she looked over and noticed there was a trail of roses leading down the stairs to her living room. Curious she followed it, picking up each rose in turn.

When she reached the living room she had another small bouquet of roses. She smiled as she gave them a small sniff, they smelled wonderful, like Springtime. What the roses where leading to was a large, green present sitting in the center of the living room.

"Now what could this be?" She wondered since it wasn't her birthday so she knew that meant this probably wasn't Pinkie Pie's doing, although it was still a possibility. So curiosity got the better of her and she untied the yellow ribbon.

As soon as it was undone confetti burst out and a loud voice rang out.

"Surprise!"

Fluttershy shrieked and took off into the air, until she noticed it was Discord leaning against the box's edge.

"Oh D-Discord...y-you startled me."

"Oh my apologies my dear." He snapped his fingers and the box along with the confetti disappeared.

"Just thought I would drop in on my dearest friend and brighten her morning. Did you like your surprise?" He asked with so much hope and big eyes, it caused Fluttershy to giggle.

"Oh yes the flowers were lovely. But Discord..."

"Yes my dear."

"What are you doing here?" Discord's ears fell flat and he looked away rubbing his paw and claw together nervously.

"Well I thought I'd drop by and maybe we could go out and spend some time together." Fluttershy flew down to Discord and took his lion paw and smiled up at him. It never ceased to amaze Discord how beautiful she was when she smiled so sweetly at him. He felt his heart jump.

"Oh Discord that's so sweet, of course I'd love to do something together just let me feed my animals and then I can pack a picnic."

"No my dear allow me, I wish to treat my friend to all the best today, I want you to simply relax and enjoy it." He snapped his fingers again.

"There that takes care of the animals, now are you ready to go?" She nodded and he snapped his fingers again, in a flash of light they were standing in the garden of his estate.

"Discord this is lovely, did you redo your garden I don't remember it being so...well...normal." She flushed and rushed on.

"Oh not that there's anything wrong…I mean…how it was before was...oh my, I'm sorry." She lowered her head covering half her face with her pink mane. Discord chuckled to himself, she was so cute when she got all flustered, probably why he enjoyed teasing her so much.

"Yes darling, I changed it so it would be more sedate for today's visit." She relaxed and graced him with another of her dazzling smiles, he felt his cheeks warming.

What is going on today, maybe I need to get out of the sun.

"Well dear Fluttershy shall we?" He snapped his fingers and they were under a tree's shade on a picnic blanket. Discord then laid down on his stomach and crossed his lion paw over his eagle claw. Fluttershy sat down on the blanket so they were facing each other.

"What would you like to eat?"

"Anything is fine Discord."

"How about a fruit bowl?"

She nodded and he snapped his fingers, and with a poof, a fruit bowl for her and a bowl of cotton candy with chocolate syrup for him. Fluttershy giggled at his choice. How he enjoyed the sound, when she laughed around him he felt his heart swell and a warmth spread through him.

He rested his chin on his eagle claw as he watched her eat her fruit.

"Mm, this is really good, and its so peaceful. Thank you Discord this was a wonderful idea."

He sighed and it took him a moment to realize he hadn't answered her when her look turned to one of confusion.

"Uh, Discord are you okay?"

"Hmm...Oh! Oh yes I'm fine, I'm just happy you're enjoying yourself my dear."

What in Equestria was happening to him, this was his friend Fluttershy and they had been on several picnics just like this one. But for some reason today felt different, at least for him it did.

"Discord, can...can I ask you something?" She looked away shyly, snapping him out of his own thoughts.

"Anything my dear, you know that." He smiled reassuringly at her, even so it seemed to take her a few minutes to gain the courage to voice her thoughts out loud.

"Well, I was just wondering...not that this isn't nice...but, well...Discord… is something bothering you?" He sat up a bit, shocked at her statement mostly because it was true.

"No, no-no! Why would anything be wrong? I-I just wanted to spend some quality time with my close friend that's all." He smiled at her rubbing the back of his neck, but she didn't seem convinced.

"Discord…" She moved closer to him and placed her hoof on his lion paw.

"You know if something is bothering you, you can always tell me. I want to help anyway I can."

He blushed slightly at her statement and smiled laying his eagle claw over her hoof. Then his smile fell and his ears drooped.

"Nothing get's past you my dear...Yes, I have had something on my mind recently."

"Yes?" She encouraged. So Discord sighed and told her about the dreams he'd been having and how he couldn't stop thinking about his betrayal of his friends.

"The biggest fear I have is that in joining Tirek and betraying all of you I may have lost the most important thing in my life." He looked into her beautiful teal eyes and placed his claws against her soft cheek.

"You."

She blushed slightly and then rubbed her cheek against his palm. His heart rate tripled in speed and a nagging feeling tried to push its way into his mind, but he didn't have time to analyze it.

"Oh dear, Discord you haven't lost anything." She placed her hooves around his neck in a gentle hug.

"Everyone has forgiven you, including me. I understand that Tirek tricked you with false promises." He wrapped his arms around her returning her hug.

"That's no excuse for what I did."

"I know, but I also understand how frustrated you were being on your best behavior all the time to please Princess..."

"Ha, it's wasn't for any princess I held back my chaos." He muttered.

"Celestia...and I know you're still new to how friendship works. Don't worry I'll always be by your side to help you through any worries or trouble you may go through."

He felt tears form in his eyes as he hugged her tighter against him, nuzzling his snout in her hair. She had no possible way of knowing what her words meant to him. Not only did they reassure him of her loyalty, but they also caused a deep warmth to spread through his entire being into his heart causing it to swell.

His head shot up as realization hit him full force. Fluttershy pulled back from the hug and looked up at him concern etched on her face. Discord stared down at the sweet mare he held slightly in his arms. Suddenly she looked different, her mane and coat were glowing and her eyes seemed larger, sparkling a deeper teal. His breathing became shallow and panic gripped him in its tight grasps as the truth found its way into his mind. He hadn't been afraid of losing their friendship, he had just been afraid of losing her.

Dear Celestia…I'm falling in love with her.

Author's Note:

Well that's chapter one of Mending Hearts! I hope you enjoyed it and continue on with the rest of the story!

Please let me know what you thought by leaving a comment, even if you didn't like it please feel free to tell me why!