• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 1,078 Views, 25 Comments

Coming Attractions - Rouis



Two ponies find themselves at the center of an equestrian entertainment revolution.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,078

Chapter One: Pony-Normal Activity

Coming Attractions
A MLP:FIM Fanfiction by Rouis
Edited By GaintGamer

Chapter 1: Pony-normal Activity

Long Haul shifted his gaze around town, he and Silver Screen had come out of the woods only to find themselves in the bustling town of Trottingham. Looking down at his all but passed out companion, he extended a hoof and gave the forest colored pony a poke. “Get off your blank flank and look at this!”

“Woah,” Silver Screen was awestruck as he shifted into an upright sit, looking around the market square they seemed to have landed in. Ponies of all shapes and sizes hurried about, minding their own business, and completely unaware that the two newcomers even existed. Silver’s gaze drifted downward at his stomach as a very unflattering growl emanated its depths. “So, about lunch” He stated with a sheepish grin.

“We will need bits if we're going to be buying anything” Long Haul quipped in. Looking around the area he saw various ponies selling their wares, that was when the idea struck him. “Let’s Split”

“Have I really annoyed you that much?” Silver asked as if he had just taken an arrow to the chest. “I mean I tend to whine a lot, and don’t even get me started on my inferiority complex but I can change!”

Long Haul gave Silver a look of confusion before realizing the other’s interpretation of his idea, then promptly gave him a whap to the back of the head with a hoof. “No you plot-head I meant let’s split up and try to make some bits!” He pointed a hoof to the clock tower, which indicated the time was currently twelve in the afternoon. “We will meet back here at three with what we have, and go from there.” What’s the worst that can happen he thought.

“Allright then!” Silver chirped, realizing that he wasn’t unwanted company after all .The verdant stallion quickly got up and trotted off towards the right, humming what sounded to be crude version of the Flim Flam brother’s song.

His crimson counterpart decided on going to opposite way, hoofing it over to what appeared to be the pony version of a farmer’s market. Various sales-ponies lined up their stalls either selling their goods or setting up for the day ahead. “I guess a society based primarily on a vegetarian diet would need a huge quantity of produce.” He reflected while taking in the various sights and smells of the area. He then noticed two ponies one colt and an younger mare fighting a losing battle against some lumber. “Everything all right here?” he asked, approaching the commotion.

“We’re just having some trouble setting up sir!” Chirped the mare in the group, her coat was a bright yellow, while her mane and tail were a few shades darker, almost the color of butter. He noticed her cutie mark was a Lemon slice hanging out of a cup. “The name is Lemon Drop, of the Trottingham Lemon family sir, my younger brother and I are trying to sell our family’s lemonade here at the market to make a few bits, but we don’t know the first thing about building a stand”

The adorable is strong in this one Long Haul thought as he resisted the urge to hug the smaller pony and tell her everything would be okay. “Here let me have a go” He then grabbed the large piece of wood with his mouth, which was surprisingly easier than he thought it would be, setting it down on top of the other two. “Do you have any nails?” He asked the small ones before looking at a cup of nails next to their amateur construction. Carefully taking one in mouth he drove it slightly into the wood with a little force, then brought a hoof down on top of the nail, driving it into the wood. A few minutes later along with some swearing he hoped they would never repeat again, they had what looked like a small stall that anypony would be proud of.

“Wow, this is great!” A wide eyed Lemon Drop happily cheered, her brother just as ecstatic. “We don’t have much to give, but If you come back later, I’m sure we could give you a few bits of our profit”

Long Haul contemplated the ethics of taking some of the profit from the children, but his stomach’s lament reminded him that there were little alternatives at hoof. “Sounds good, I’ll be back in a little while to check up on how things are going.” Maybe I’ll go see how Silver is faring. he thought over the clip clop of his hooves on the cobble stone as he trotted off to look for Silver Screen. Passing the area by the clock tower where they first came into town he trotted down the right path he last saw Silver venture on. Letting the soothing sounds of the pony folk enter his ears he pleasantly continued on his merry way, it wasn't long before he heard a familiar voice over the crowd. Rounding a corner he gazed out onto the sight that fell before him, there was a crowd of ponies gathered around wall where the image of a small unicorn colt in glasses gazed upon giant earth pony, the sound he heard next would be one that once uttered, would set a motion of events forth that very well would revolutionize equestrian entertainment for a long time to come.

“You're a unicorn Harry” Said the large earth pony projected upon the wall, the sound however emanated not from the picture, but from a dark green unicorn seated behind the crowd watching the spectacle. His mouth hanging agape, various voices coming out timed to the events unfolding in the picture. The image itself seemed to be coming from the horn perched on his head.

“Umm Silver?” Long Haul approached his friend and gave him a poke, startling the unicorn and disrupting the picture on the wall. A collective “Awww” coming from the crowd as they then dispersed and resumed their daily activities, a few staying behind to watch the scene that followed.

“Woah!” The Unicorn hollered as he came out of his trance, looking around in a panic then noticing Long Haul. “Oh hey! How did it go?” Silver asked in his usual happy-go-lucky manner.

“How did it go?” He replied. “What were you doing, What was that?” he asked, a look of pure puzzlement as to what the buck was going on crept across his face.

Silver Screen opened his mouth and all in one breath told Long Haul the story of his afternoon. “Oh well I was walking along looking for something to do, and then I got bored so I went and thought about something exciting, so that thing happened again where my horn glows and pictures appear. So I was all like that's cool! Then everypony started watching the pictures I made so I thought I would tell them a story using them. So they all started giving me money see!” The green pony turned his head over to his side and lifted up a bag of coins in his mouth.

“Where’s the rest of the story!” shouted a couple of children as they trotted up to Silver Screen. “Yeah we want to see the end!” they demanded, a mob of small disappointed foals starting to form.

“Oh sure let me just start it again!” Silver happily replied. Concentrating on the thought of the story he was displaying earlier he focused the energy in his horn to match it, unfortunately the only thing that happened was a small fizzle of sparks from the point on his head. “Hmm I guess I'm all out of juice.”

“Oh look he’s just a blank flank, figures he can’t do it.” said a blue filly in the crowd. “Yeah, What a loser. Who doesn't have their talent still as an adult?” Added another child. The crowd left then dispersed, going their own way while laughing at Silver’s failed attempt.

Long Haul frowned disapprovingly at the mocking of the children, then noticed a familiar yellow pony trotting up to them. “Oh hey Lemon Drop, How did the lemonade go?” He asked.

Lemon Drop frowned and looked up at him. “We only sold two glasses” She said dully, then looked over at Silver, who did not appear to be taking the criticism well. “Is your friend okay?”

Silver’s lip quivered for a bit as his eyes teared up, looking at the mare, then at Long Haul.”Fillies are so mean!” he sobbed as he grabbed Lemon Drop in a self initiated sympathy hug!

“I think I need an adult.” Lemon Drop stated, half of her was frightened, while the rest of her just felt sorry for the whimpering pony.

“I am an adult!” Silver Screen sobbed out crying like a little foal. He let go of the pony and fell onto his back, curling up into a pony-ball.

Long Haul sighed at the sight, then looked to Lemon Drop “I’m sorry you have to see him like this, he has this thing where he wants everyone to like him.” He then ran his hoof across Silver’s back, and started to comfort them with the a face of almost pure annoyance. “There-there big guy, the big bad fillies are gone. Now why don’t you get up and we can go get some food huh?” He looked over to Lemon Drop, who had an expression that showed one struggling very hard not to laugh at the sight they were witnessing. “Thanks for the offer earlier Drop, but I’’ll decline, keep the bits for yourself.” Long Haul helped up his companion and the two walked off to find some food.

Lemon Drop sat there bewildered at what she had just witnessed. “What did I just watch” The young mare asked herself before falling over in a fit of laughter.