• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 1,078 Views, 25 Comments

Coming Attractions - Rouis



Two ponies find themselves at the center of an equestrian entertainment revolution.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,078

Chapter Eleven: Haygas Vacation Part Three - Lemon Side

<Las Haygas, Entertainer’s Suite, Four Hours Before Dawn>

It crept over the carpet, it’s hoof like appendages barely making a sound as it slowly made it’s way towards the slumbering figure on the bed. A chitinous hole filled foreleg lifted up towards the sleeping pony, but stopped just shy of touching the pale yellow mane that belonged to said sleeper. “Not yet my sweet, but soon it will be time for us to reunite.” It said before creeping back out of the room, and gently closing the door behind it. Leaving no trace that it had ever been there.

Lemon Drop shuddered in her sleep, rolling over to cry only one word. “Mom”

Coming Attractions
A MLP:FIM Fic
By Rouis & GaintGamer

Chapter Eleven Part Three : Haygas Vacation- Lemon Side

Lemon Drop awoke with a start. A cold sweat ran through her coat, and when she looked over to the large mirror that ran along one of the walls of her room in the suite she observed the second worst case of bed-mane to hit Equestria. “Just another morning in paradise.” She mumbled as she went into the washroom, and began her morning routine. “Step one: make that coat shine!” She said while under the hot steaming water of the shower. She used one of the hotel’s washcloths to dry her coat from head to hoof making sure not to miss a single patch of fur. “Step two: dazzle the mane!” She cheered while gently brushing her mane. She always made sure not to pull too hard lest she start causing damage. After all, what self respecting mare would let herself walk around not looking her absolute best! “And finally step three: a smile that dazzles.” She used her magic to attack any, and all signs of scum present in her teeth. After gargling some water, and spitting it into the sink she observed the mare that now stared back at her. She turned an ear towards a sudden outburst that seemed to come from the common area of the suite.

“Why didn’t you warn me that it was activated by speech!” A familiar voice screamed as a thump signaled something, or somepony thrown to the floor.

Lemon Drop quickly cantered out into the common room to be greeted to the sight of an out of breath pegasus holding Silver Screen to the ground. “Am I interrupting something? I think I need an adult.” She nervously said at the sight of the two in front of her. She recognized the pegasus as her friend Page Bound from Trottingham.

“It’s not like that at all!” Page Bound yelled as her face flushed bright red in embarrassment. She ruffled her wings nervously, and attempted to regain composure. “I’m sorry about slamming you to the ground.” She apologized. “It’s just that there was an accident involving magic when I was just a filly that left my wings on backwards for a whole week. I’ve been a little nervous around magic ever since.”

Lemon Drop shook her head at the story. “That’s what they all say. Remember to send me a wedding invitation.”

Silver Screen stood up, and turned his head sideways in confusion. “There is going to be a wedding? I want to go!” He said, completely oblivious to Drop’s insinuations. “Well before you two tell me about the wedding I think we should go ahead, and wake the birthday pony.”

Page Bound rolled her eyes at Silver’s obliviousness. “Agreed.” She said,seemingly eager to get away from the previous topic. “You two go ahead in front of me. I want to surprise him that I’m here.”

“Sounds good.” Lemon Drop chimed in as she took her place at the door to Long Haul’s door.

The two grinned as they shoved the door open. The sight of Long Haul snapping up from what appeared to be peaceful sleep greeted them.

“If you two are staging a coup d’etat this is the weirdest beginning to one I have ever seen.” The birthday pony himself groaned.

“Happy birthday!” Silver Screen, and Lemon Drop yelled.

In Lemon Drop’s opinion the party could have been much more exciting. Long Haul seemed happy enough with the gifts they had given him, but had it been her in his place she would have yearned for a little more celebration instead of an awakening to free stuff. The one important thing that came from the party was a sealed letter from home. Once Page left, Lemon took that has her opportunity to make an escape. “Now if you two excuse me I’m going to go towards my room where I will obviously remain for the rest of the day, and not go on any exciting adventures in either city like you told me to. Nope, I’m just going to sit in my room all day, and wait for the performance.” Once she was out of sight she slowly crept back into her room, and gently broke the seal on the envelope she had been given. She watched as a letter slid out of the envelope, and levitated it up to read it.

To Lemon Drop my dearest and only daughter,

We are writing to inform you of how proud we are of you. While we would have liked a little more notice on the fact that you planned to leave home. Events as we are told did not give you much time to do such. Know that we have such confidence that your presence will show Equestria just how far the Lemon family has come in recent years, and that we will always keep your room ready should you come back to visit. We are however; writing with another purpose as well. Your mother, and I only remember so much about the events that occurred in the weeks before you left. We awoke in the basement of our home bound together, and the officers told us it was odd that your mother was there with me because she was apparently run out of town for the unsavory behavior she supposedly took part in. It is with this knowledge that I believe somepony was impersonating your mother. If you remember anything that could help us piece together the missing time from our memories it would be very helpful. Stay safe my dear, we wish only the best for you.

-Your Parents: Lemon Lime, and Lemon Tree

Lemon Drop reflected on the harsh words she, and her mother had shared with each other leading up to her decision to leave Trottingham to travel with Silver Screen, and Long Haul. The fact that somepony else could have been masquerading as her mother changed everything, but why would somepony else want to impersonate her mother? There was little to be gained from impersonating the mayor’s wife other than some extra sway around the town. Lemon Drop banished the thought from her mind, and placed the letter safely in her saddlebags for later. There was a plan to follow! She crept out of her room, and stepped onto the rune that would take her on an adventure. “Sky Lobby” She confidently said as the rune did it’s work, and took her to the secondary lobby that served as a entrance to the cloud layer, and her ticket to Los Pegasus.

The door’s unicorn valet noticed the yellow unicorn heading towards her. “Excuse me miss, but will you be needing the hotel’s complimentary cloud walking spell?”

Lemon Drop froze in her tracks, and looked up at the valet. “Of course! Los Pegasus is a cloud city. How could I be so stupid.” She then realized what the valet had asked. “Oh of course I’ll need the spell.”

The Valet nodded, and set to work on casting the spell. Once she was finished she spoke once more. “All right then, it should wear off after twenty four hours. Just make sure you are back on solid ground by then. Although I don’t know why you would be staying out there that long anyway.”

“Thanks!” The smaller of the two said as she ran out of the door, but stopped just when floor met cloud. “Calm down Lemon Drop, it’s only a huge drop to the ground if the spell does not work.” She said to herself while placing one hoof just over the cloud surface, and gently placing it down. At first the cloud gave a little, but before it sunk into the cloud any more than an inch she felt the surface harden. One hoof at a time she made her way out onto the cloud until she was standing out entirely on the cloud streets. “I’m actually doing this. I’m walking on a cloud!” She shouted as she ran towards the Convention center that loomed in the distance.

Los Pegasus was a completely different affair from Las Haygas below. If below was a city of pleasure then the city above was a location for business. The air was positively filled with pegasi flying from building to building on their daily errands. The sun shone down from above creating a much warmer climate than down below. Few ponies used the cloud surface as a street, and as such Lemon Drop encountered almost no crowding on the pseudo ground while she hopped along towards the convention.

“Lemon Drop?” A voice asked from above.

She looked upwards to see Page Bound waving a hoof before descending down onto the cloud layer. “Oh hey Page!”

Page touched down with ease, folded in her wings, and looked at the younger pony. “Shouldn’t you be back at the hotel?” She asked.

Lemon Drop quickly assembled an excuse. “Nope! Long Haul actually told me to go enjoy the convention.”

“Really?” Page picked up on the lie immediately. “Well what he doesn't know won't hurt him. Plus you have me here to watch after you.” Before Page could justify her actions any further she found herself on the receiving end of a hug.

“Thank you Page! You’re the best!” Lemon Drop cheered as she untangled herself from the taller mare. The two made their way towards the convention center. Lemon Drop happily hopped around on the spongy cloud making plans for the day. “So where do we go first? I’ve heard so many awesome things about this convention!”

“Before we even get in we’re going to have to get in line.” Page said as they arrived in front of the convention center.

Lines of pegasi stretched from what appeared to be the main entrances to the gigantic cloud building. “We’re going to be here for a while aren’t we?” Lemon Drop asked.

“I think so.” Page agreed as they took their place in line.

<Three Hours Later>

“Welcome to the weather convention.” The obviously exhausted mare who was working the door greeted as ponies shuffled into the center.

“Thanks!” Lemon Drop cheered as the mare passed her a bag filled to the brim with advertisements, a program, and a complimentary bottled cloud. “Why do they give out clouds?” Lemon Drop asked.

Page chuckled. “It’s kind of a pegasus thing. A while ago some pegasi started keeping sections of cloud as a souvenir of where they went, and it kind of became a problem when they started taking off small chunks of the convention center itself.”

Drop’s eyes widened at the thought of large holes in the floor of the convention center. She was fine to walk on clouds, but falling down was another story entirely. “That does sound a little concerning, so where to first?” She asked while carefully unfolding the program. Most of the panels, and events were scheduled against each other to avoid overcrowding.

“How about the Daring Do panel? If we go get in line now we should get a good seat in the room.” Page suggested as she looked at Lemon Drop’s schedule.

“Sounds good to me! Lead the way oh wise chaperone.” Lemon Drop said before trotting ahead to catch up with Page.

The two sat in line waiting for the panel room to open up when another pegasus in line tried to spark up a conversation.

“Oh-my-gosh! I can’t believe we are about to see the actual author of the Daring Do series!” The pegasus in question was a cyan coated mare with a multicolored rainbow mane. The tan pith helmet, and beige overshirt indicated that she was obviously attempting to dress up as the titular character of the series. “How many of the books have you read? I think I must have read the entire series of books at least twenty times.”

Lemon Drop was caught off guard by the eager pegasus. “I’ve only read the first three actually.”

Page looked at Lemon Drop in shock. “Really? I could loan you the others if you like.”

“Really? That would be cool.” Lemon Drop looked at the cyan mare who had brought up the books. “That’s a cool costume by the way. My name is Lemon Drop, and this is my friend Page Bound.”

“I’m Rainbow Dash, and this pony back here is my good friend Fluttershy.” She gestured to the yellow coated quivering ball of pegasus that was obviously trying to hide behind her.

Under a long pink mane two blue eyes peeked out at the group observing her. “Hello” She said in a hushed tone.

Rainbow Dash shook her head at the timid nature of her friend. “Fluttershy come on! This is only one of the biggest events short of the Equestria Games, and we have been waiting for ages to get the chance to go. You can’t just spend all of it hiding from the rest of the ponies here.”

“We’re not so bad, and none of us want to hurt you.” Lemon Drop added in her attempt to get the trembling pony to relax.

“O-okay” Fluttershy replied as she straightened out her posture, and did her best to remain calm in the crowded line. “So what brings you to the convention?” She asked in a shaky tone doing her best to keep conversation going.

Page Bound perked up at the question. “I try to come to the convention every year, and when I heard about the guests they booked this year I knew it couldn’t skip it. I know a lot of pegasi miss when the convention was just about the weather, but seeing it flourish into a full blown celebration of culture has changed it for the better in my opinion.”

“I’m here to stave off boredom.” Lemon Drop butted in. “I’m part of a traveling theater, and we’re doing a show down in Las Haygas. Our show isn’t until tonight though.”

A tall pegasus wearing a staff vest shouted over the idle conversations of the line. “Seating for the panel will now begin.”

The line jumped into motion as everypony piled into the panel room. Rows of seating lined up in front of a small stage upon which one seat was present in behind a table, and microphone.

The now chattering group of pegasi, and one unicorn sat down together in the next available row to them which sat them a few rows back from the front, and just shy of the middle of the room.

Rainbow Dash looked around the room. “Not bad seats if I say so myself, though I think we would have gotten in line sooner if somepony hadn’t spent fifteen minutes listening to that exhibit on animal assisted preening.” She said while giving Fluttershy a stare.

Fluttershy blushed at the accusation. “It just seemed so interesting.” The yellow pegasus remarked before turning her attention to Lemon Drop. “You said you travel in a theater group? I can’t imagine what it must be like to travel around all the time. What type of performances do you do?”

Lemon Drop laughed at the question. “Well my friend Silver Screen does most of the performance. He tells stories using moving pictures, and sounds he makes with his magic. My other friend Long Haul handles the position of master of ceremonies, and I kind of just do whatever else needs done.”

“You mean like a movie theater?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Lemon Drop, and Page Bound tilted their heads in response. “We don’t have any of those back in Trottingham. So maybe it is like that.” Drop replied.

“Well in a movie theater they show movies which are recorded images of ponies doing things. They usually tell a story, and the actors in them get pretty well known. I think a few of them are even at this convention.” Fluttershy explained.

Lemon Drop nodded at the explanation. “Well then I guess it is kind of like that, except there are no ponies being recorded. Silver Screen explained it to me as imagining a story in his head, and simply showing it to ponies with magic. It’s really something to see, but I may have to check out one of these movie theaters to see if we really are doing something similar.”

“Count me in on that too.” Page Bound added.

A thunderous stomping of hooves ran through the room, along with a loud cheer. “It’s starting!” Rainbow Dash yelled as everypony’s attention turned to the front of the room.

A cream coated pegasus with a red mane tied back mane trotted her way up to the only seat on the stage, and raised a hoof to quiet the room as she sat down. A few streaks of gray made their way through her mane as an evident sign of time taking its toll, and her cutie mark consisted of a quill overlaid on a cloud. “Hello everypony! As a few of you may know my name is Cloudy Quill, and I’m the author of such books as The Celestia Algorithm, and of course the Daring Do series.

The room once again erupted into cheers as Page whispered to Lemon Drop. “Remind me to loan you The Celestia Algorithm sometime. It’s a classic.”

Cloudy Quill raised a hoof once again to try to quiet the excited crowd. “As many of you may know today’s panel is in the format of a question and answer session. So if we can get some hooves in the air we will get started.”

Almost everypony in the room raised a hoof in the room was raised in response.

The older author laughed in response to the room-wide gesture. “Well then I suppose we will start with-” She paused as she scanned the room. “You” She finished as she pointed to Page Bound.

Page sat in shock for a moment. The realization that her question would be heard only became real when a staff member flew down from the top of the ceiling, and held a microphone for her to speak into right in front of her. “Oh my gosh!’ She said startled, as she tried to regain her composure. “First of all thank you Miss Quill for picking me. Second of all: Do you have any advice for aspiring authors like myself?”

Cloudy Quill pondered on the question for a moment before responding. “Well first of all I would say congratulations for taking a hoofstep towards the career path that has brought me so much joy for these past few years. Next I would have to say that you just need to keep at it, and remember that as long as you love the story that you're telling, then you’re doing what’s best for your characters. Never let somepony else compromise your integrity as an author. Unless it’s your editor of course. My editor has helped me through some of my best works, but also some of my worst. I remember what happened once when I tried writing a chapter on two night’s lack of sleep.”

The entire room chuckled at her story of the good times and the bad. Once the realization that the question had been answered hit everypony in the audience a flurry of hooves raised into the air.

Lemon Drop could have sworn she saw some ponies laying on their back so that they could raise all four hooves into the air in an attempt to get themselves picked. “How cool was that!” She said to Page before listening for the next question.

A teal hoof lowered as the pony that owned it prepared to ask her question. “What are your major inspirations in writing?”

Cloudy Quill jumped on the question. “I actually base most of my books of current events in Equestria’s history as I’m writing them. Of course there are fictional twists added to spice things up, but I feel that it’s good to keep a hoof planted in reality to even things out.”

The audience once again applauded at the response, and jumped back on the hoof raising spree to get chosen. The next few questions ranged from topics such as favorite foods, to even other preferred authors. Each time Rainbow Dash was passed over for another pony in the audience, and hope seemed to fade from the costumed pegasus as a staff member informed Cloudy Quill that they only had time for one more question.

Cloudy Quill scanned the audience searching for a pony to pick until she pointed at the only pony in the room dressed as one of her characters. “Why not that fine pony dressed as Daring Do herself?”

Rainbow Dash quickly met the microphone holding pony halfway in the air. “Miss Quill thank you so much for picking me!” She squealed. “It’s been almost five years since the last Daring Do book was published and I’ve only been reading them for a few months now, but I know I can’t be the only one one wondering: Do you have another book in the works?” Dash asked as the sound seemed to drain out of the room while everypony waited for a response.

A smirk crossed Cloudy Quill’s face as she thought about the repercussions of her next statement. “Well I suppose this is a question that ponies have seemed to be prone to avoid asking me lately, and given where I am I suppose I can answer it now for everypony to hear. I mentioned earlier that I like to write my books around historic events, and so I can confidently say that I have begun work on the next Daring Do novel!” She listened to the crowds applause, and raised a hoof to quiet them down once more. “I also can say that I have based the book around recent events involving a brave group of six mares, and the return of two evil forces Equestria had long since thought itself safe from. It is with this that I am going to reveal to you the title of the next novel: Daring Do and The Pillars of Harmony! With that said I will leave you all to enjoy the rest of the convention, and thank you all for joining me here today.” Cloudy Quill left to the cheers of the crowd which then quieted down, and began to file out into the convention center’s hallways to continue on their day.

Rainbow Dash looked at Fluttershy, and shook her friend in celebration. “Fluttershy did you hear that? I think she’s writing the book about what we did!”

Lemon Drop realized the implications of Rainbow’s joy, and her eyes grew wide at the realization. “You mean you two are part of the group that stopped Discord? I can’t believe I not only got to meet a famous author today, but I also got to meet two of the fabled elements of harmony that saved Equestria! You are real life heroes!”

Rainbow Dash stood tall, and puffed out her chest in pride. “You would be correct Lemon Drop. You are looking at the elements of loyalty and kindness.”

Page Bound seemed just as shocked by the turn of events. “Small world” Was all she said.

“We have to go now, there’s a wonderbolts signing in five hours that I want to make sure I’m at the front of the line for. It’s been awesome meeting you two, and if you're ever in Ponyville make sure to give us a ring.” The chromatic maned mare said before grabbing Fluttershy, and hastily leaving the room to secure her place in another line.

“Will do!” Lemon Drop shouted as she watched the two mares disappear in the crowd of pegasi leaving the room. “I better get going too Page. I don’t want to get in too much trouble for going out.”

Page nodded. “Alright kiddo, I’ll see you at the big performance tonight.”

Lemon Drop quickly made her way back into the halls, out of the convention center, and back to the Celestia’s Palace where she quickly used the rune to get back up to the penthouse. “Hello! Is anypony up here?” She hollered as she went from room to room checking for any sign of Silver Screen, or Long Haul. When she was sure she was alone up in the room she decided to go down to the main lobby, and wait for either of them to return. As she stood upon the rune getting ready to leave she could have sworn she felt like she was being watched.

Once down in the oddly inactive main lobby she tapped a hoof impatiently while she waited. Finally she saw Long Haul canter into the lobby. “I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to make it back here.”

“I must confess I was also starting to get a little worried as to your location.” Aces High added as he trotted up from behind.

Long Haul raised an eyebrow at Aces’ demeanor. “Aces buddy are you alright? You sound a little different.” He stated as he watched the tycoon approach.

“I feel no different than I usually do.” Answered the suited pony as he looked Long Haul in the eye. “Now I feel that you understand the terms of our engagement today no? I need you two to provide a sort of distraction for our guests, and especially the VIP that will be attending tonight’s event. While that is going on I will propose my venue, and hopefully things will go for the better.”

Silver Screen ran in through the main doors, and huffed as he tried to catch his breath. “Sorry I’m late everypony. You would not believe the day I’ve had. Those ponies over at the Neighlagio are crazy!” He yelled.

Aces High shrugged. “I don’t know about that, I always thought the Neighlagio was a respectable place.” Replied Aces, who did a short bow before he trotted away.

Long Haul shook his head, and turned to whisper at Silver Screen. “I thought something was off about that pony, and now I know it!.” He then turned, and called out at the exiting tycoon. “Hey Aces!”

Aces High turned back around. “Long Haul is there something else I can do for you? I’m a very busy pony.”

Long Haul smirked before he laid his metaphorical cards on the table. “Yeah I want to know who you really are, because you damn sure aren’t Aces High.” He shouted as the various ponies in the lobby stopped what they were doing, and all turned to look at the exchange of words. “I may not know him that well, but I do know that he can’t stand anything about the Neighlagio. So I’ll ask you one more time. Who the buck are you?”

Silver Screen gasped at Long Haul’s sudden outburst. “Hey buddy I don’t think that’s any way to talk to our employer.”

The pony who claimed to be Aces High flashed a mad grin that bore not the normal teeth of a pony, but a jagged set of fangs. “Well played Long Haul, I must confess that for a moment I actually thought you had fallen for my ruse. When my subordinate reported that she had failed to subdue you, and the rest of your party in the night I feared briefly that my plans would falter, but I digress. We shall simply have to do away with you here, and now.” With that, the thing that claimed to be Aces High raised a hoof into the air and brought it down twice on the ground.

Lemon Drop heard Silver Screen tell everypony to shut their eyes, and then heard him say “Oops” before hearing an oddly familiar buzzing noise behind her.

“Hello my sweet daughter. I’ve missed you so much.” A familiar voice said.

Author's Note:

And with that we are finally out of the beast that is chapter eleven. I had a lot of fun writing about the convention, and including another cameo from some "Mane Cast" characters. As always be sure to leave a comment, and let me know what you thought.