• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 1,081 Views, 25 Comments

Coming Attractions - Rouis



Two ponies find themselves at the center of an equestrian entertainment revolution.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,081

Chapter Eleven: Haygas Vacation Part Two - Silver Side

Coming Attractions
A MLP:FIM Fic
By Rouis & GaintGamer

Chapter Eleven Part Two: Haygas Vacation-Silver Side




<Las Haygas, Entertainer’s Suite, Earlier That Day>

Silver Screen’s eyes opened as he thought he heard the door to his room shutting. Instinct and panic took over as the forest green pony jumped to attention. An act which threw the bed sheets off of him as he screamed. “I don’t know who you are, and most likely you already have the jump on me, but you forgot something. I’m a unicorn, and I may not be able to do much magic, but I can blind the dickens out of you!” With that said he reached into his subconscious, and illuminated the whole room with his visual memory spell.

“My dickens!” Cried a shrill yet gravelly voice near one of the room’s windows.

Silver Screen could've sworn he saw a black shape lunge out a partially opened window into the night sky outside. Before he could go to look out of it however; Long Haul burst into the room, and gently inquired what had happened.

“What in the name of tartarus is going on it is three in the morning!” Shouted the recently woken up Long Haul who didn’t seem too pleased.

“I thought I heard somepony coming into my room, so I kind of freaked out.” Silver Screen scanned the room looking for any sign that the intruder left anything behind, but to his dismay the only thing that seemed to point to that idea was the partially open window that he thought he saw the intruder dash through. Silver Screen flattened his ears in confusion. “I guess maybe it was just a weird dream, so go back to bed buddy. I think we all need the rest.” With that said Silver Screen escorted Long Haul back to his room, and once he was sure his large friend was back in the grasp of slumber he snuck off to the main room of the suite and snuck over to the ever glowing teleportation rune that sat in the corner. “Main Lobby.” Silver said as the rune did it’s work.

Silver happily trotted off of the rune, and out into the lobby. The lobby itself seemed much as it did when they checked in the previous day, with ponies going every which way due to the ever waking nature of the city. Once he was out into the streets he happily made his way over into the alley in which their caravan home was parked. “Just got to be careful with the door.” He said, as he cautiously used his magic to open the door. An act which as usual caused it to fall off of it’s hinges. “I swear that door is going to catch on fire one day.” He said with a sigh.

Silver sat down at the desk, and looked down at his journal. He had filled quite a few pages of it since they had left Trottingham at the beginning of their journey. Some pages were nothing on ideas of what to show at their next performance, but some were also reflections on life in Equestria. He slipped out a small letter bearing the symbol of their friend Page Bound’s cutie mark, and read through the short message a few times until a knock at the once again doorless threshold made him jump a little. He craned his neck around to be greeted with the visage of the same pony whose letter he was reading. “Page Bound! It’s been far too long.” He greeted as he closed the distance between them and met the cyan maned pegasus in a short hug.

The flight weary Page smiled as she returned his greeting. “That it has Silver Screen. I guess Long Haul is still asleep?” She asked as she turned to check on her burden: a decent sized parcel which lay on the ground just outside of the caravan.

Silver Screen laughed at her question. “Of course he is. If that pony isn’t sleeping than he’s just scheming about ways for us to make more from our performances.” He then perked up when a thought popped in his head. “Speaking of work, I finished the first of those books you sent us in your last parcel. It was really good! Are you selling them at the shop?”

Page smiled at the review. “No, not yet anyway. Which one did you read first?” She asked. “Oh! I bet you read Splicebolt the Mad didn’t you?” She shivered in the chilly night air.

“Wow you know me too well. I can’t believe you were able to pull off ninety six chapters, but if anypony I know could it would be you” He noticed her shivers, and made a suggestion. “Why don’t we get out of the open, and go upstairs. I’m sure Lemon Drop would be happy to see you.”

She simply nodded, and gave her reply. “Sounds good to me, I flew almost nonstop after my last pit stop in Hoofington.” With that she went to make her way into the hotel’s large lobby, but was stopped by Silver Screen before she could get more than a few hoofsteps from the caravan.

“Hold on, I need to fix the door.” He reasoned as he floated the door over to the doorframe, and simply leaned it against the open threshold. “I’ll have to actually fix it later.” He said as he made his way into the grand lobby once more with company in tow. “You’ll love this part Page. They have this cool teleporting rune thingy that takes you all the way to your room.” He said just as they stopped on top of the aforementioned rune.

Her eyes widened at the mention of the device. “I don’t know Silver Scre--”

“--en it just seems a little dangerous. I think I could fly up there much easier.” She finished before coming to a realization that she was already in the room. She frantically looked around, and tackled Silver Screen in a nervous fit pinning him to the ground. “Why didn’t you warn me that it was activated by speech!” She hastily spoke as her breath came out sputtered, and heavy.

“Am I interrupting something? I think I need an adult.” Said the very confused Lemon Drop who had walked onto the scene.

Page quickly realized the implications of her positioning, and removed herself from holding Silver Screen down. “It’s not like that at all!” Page Bound yelled as her face flushed bright red in embarrassment. She ruffled her wings nervously, and attempted to regain composure. “I’m sorry about slamming you to the ground.” She apologized. “It’s just that there was an accident involving magic when I was just a filly that left my wings on backwards for a whole week. I’ve been a little nervous around magic ever since.”

Lemon Drop shook her head at the story. “That’s what they all say. Remember to send me a wedding invitation.”

Silver Screen stood up, and turned his head sideways in confusion. “There is going to be a wedding? I want to go!” He said, completely oblivious to Drop’s insinuations. “Well before you two tell me about the wedding I think we should go ahead, and wake the birthday pony.”

Page Bound rolled her eyes at Silver’s obliviousness. “Agreed.” She said, eager to get away from the previous topic. “You two go ahead in front of me. I want to surprise him that I’m here.”

“Sounds good.” Lemon Drop chimed in as she took her place at the door to Long Haul’s door.

The two grinned as they shoved the door open. The sight of Long Haul snapping up from what appeared to be peaceful sleep greeted them.

“If you two are staging a coup d’etat this is the weirdest beginning to one I have ever seen.” The birthday pony himself groaned.

“Happy birthday!” Silver Screen, and Lemon Drop yelled.

The party itself went well. Long Haul was surprised by Page’s presence, and by the presents that she brought with her. When it came time to open Silver’s present he was happy to see that it went well with the his friend’s colors, and as the small soiree began to wrap up everypony made their way out. Page left to enjoy the weather convention, Lemon Drop to her room, and Silver Screen left to enjoy the sights of Las Haygas while Long Haul enjoyed his birthday breakfast.

Silver Screen packed his saddlebags lightly, and went down to the lobby only to be stopped by Aces High.

“Silver Screen, I was just about to have the bellhops bring up the first half of your payment for tonight.” Aces High excitedly greeted as he gestured to two earth pony bellhops who struggled with the weight of a large chest stuffed to the brim with bits.

“Neat!” Silver Screen said while he transferred a small amount of bits from the chest into his saddlebags. “Thanks for the little stipend for today too. I was just about to go check out the sights before the show tonight. Could you just have them leave the chest in the room upstairs?” He asked their current employer.

Aces lightly chuckled at the request. “Of course we can. Take it up boys.” He asked the staff, who began shuffling towards the rune while they struggled under the weight of the chest. “One more thing actually! There are plenty of wonderful things to do in both cities while you’re here, but I would recommend staying away from some of the more un-fun parts of the city. Especially the Neighlagio.” He warned as he watched Silver Screen exit the main doors of the lobby.

“Excuse me sir, I have a few questions about the establishment that my family, and I would like answered before we check in.” A new voice asked the tycoon. It’s owner was a gray coated stallion bearing a tragedy mask cutie mark. His darker mane was slicked back, and his voice contained hints of disdain for those around him. The aforementioned family he spoke of consisted of an array of ponies whose coats mismatched, and didn’t seem to be related in the slightest.

“Why of course. I would be happy to take your bits.” Aces caught his slip. “I mean answer your questions.” He said while focusing on the large group.

The patriarch of the group grinned at the pony’s answer, and gave his reply. “That’s good, Let’s speak in private then.”

<Meanwhile on the Haygas Strip>

Once again Silver Screen found himself on the Haygas strip looking for something to do. “This city sure is boring.” He sighed as he once again found himself passing one of the many liquid rainbow fountains. “Maybe I’m just not doing this right.” He mused as he looked for an activity to pass the time with.

<Five Minutes Later, On the Casino Floor of the Neighlagio>

“Thirty one black, you win again sir!” The peppy unicorn mare who worked the roulette table enthused as she levitated even more chips across the betting table, to where an ecstatic Silver Screen was celebrating another win surrounded by the ponies who had gathered to watch the lucky streak unfold.

“Viva Las Haygas!” He yelled in excitement at the win before regaining his composure. “Let it ride.” He confidently uttered as the mare nodded in agreement, and gave the wheel another spin.

The area of the casino floor they were located in seemed to freeze in time as everypony looked at the wheel awaiting luck’s answer. As the wheel began to slow everyone seemed to inhale sharply until the ivory marble inside came to a rest. Everypony looked on in bewilderment as the results were called out.

The table mare nearly choked on her words as she called the results. “F-f-for the fourteenth time in a row it is thirty one black!” She nodded to a large golden coated stallion who had made his way behind Silver Screen during the last spin.

The floor manager spoke in a heavy toned voice that commanded everypony’s attention. “Congratulations sir, on behalf of the Neighlagio I would like to present you with three diamond chips.”

Silver Screen watched as the pile of sparkling chips he had won was replaced with three ravishing diamond chips bearing the Neighlagio’s symbol engraved in the center of each one. “Neat! I got cooler shinies!” Silver mused as he obviously placed the priceless objects into the front pocket of his vest before getting up, and shooting off a flash of light from his horn in celebration.

The flash of the spell caught the eye of a white unicorn mare with an electric blue mane. She galloped over to the source and gazed into the eyes of the pony who had just shot off the light spell from behind her violet shades. “You are amazing!” She shouted. “You have to help me with my show. Can you do more flashes like that? Do you know any more effect spells?” She screamed, oblivious to the normal volume of the world around her due to her headphones pumping out loud beats straight into her ears.

Silver Screen didn’t know whether to cry, answer her questions, or both as the mare’s loud tone reverberated across his ear drums. “It’s just a spell I know.” He shyly said as he slowly backed away from the mare.

She quickly closed the gap between them, and extended a hoof. “The name is Vinyl Scratch, but most ponies know me by my stage name: DJ PON-3! I’m a performer here, and I think your effects are just the thing my show needs to kick it up another notch. Please tell me you can help me out?” She asked in the same ear shattering volume.

Silver Screen reluctantly shook her hoof, and nodded. “Whatever you want lady! Just please stop screaming at me.” He begged as he began to follow her towards a door leading into one of the many staff only hallways that ran through the Neighlagio. In the quiet of the halls he could clearly hear the music she was listening to due to it’s sheer volume. Finally they emerged from another door into the concert hall itself. “So what do I do?” Silver Screen asked while bracing his ears for Vinyl’s loud speaking.

The normally loud performer removed her headphones, and waved over to a beige stallion. “Hey Riggs!” She called out before turning back to Silver Screen. “That pony is Riggs, he’s the head techie around here, and he will be helping you with your part. What is your part exactly? You my new green friend are going to crank this show up to eleven! Just use your light spells to make my performance look awesome okay?” She smiled at Silver Screen waiting for an answer.

Silver mused on the fact that when Vinyl wasn’t screaming she actually sounded kind of cute. “Sounds good to me then.”

“Cool, I’m going to go finish getting ready.” She said before happily trotting off to a grey mare waiting on the other side of the stage, calling out to her as she approached. “Tavi! Wait till you see the stuff this pony can do. He is the coolest!”

“Sup” The pony introduced as Riggs said before he walked Silver over to the edge of the stage. “So Miss Scratch thinks your kind of a big deal or something. So I wouldn’t let her down if I were you.”

“So what do I just stand on the catwalks and use my spell, or will I be backstage?” Silver Screen asked.

Riggs let out a hearty laugh. “Not exactly.”

The next thing Silver Screen knew was that he was suspended in a harness above the concert hall. The second thing Silver Screen knew was that he may be afraid of heights. He watched as ponies flooded the space below, and waited for the show to start. A thick fog erupted from the stage, and once he saw the shape of DJ PON-3 herself appear from within the fog he cast a beam of light down on her.

The crowd went wild as she began playing some of the loudest beats known in Equestria at the time. Once she had ended her first song she moved up to the microphone. “Las Haygas! I wanna hear you scream!” It was moments like these that Vinyl lived for. The roar of the crowd reminded her of the real reason she enjoyed making good music.

The third think Silver Screen knew was that he was now a fan of electronica. As the beats made their way into his ear drums he got more, and more into the act of providing a light show. Before he even knew it the show was over, but no pony came to let him down. “Hello? Anypony?” He called out to the various roadies moving around pieces of the stage. The fourth thing that Silver Screen knew was the next show was starting, and he was providing light effects out of futility. He could have sworn that he had spotted Long Haul among the ponies listening to the cheery pop music below, but among his own light effects, and the tacky outfits being worn on stage he could not focus. After what seemed like an eternity he noticed the familiar sight of Riggs flapping his way up to where he was suspended.

“Sorry about that dude, we kind of had a bit of an after party.” He apologized while he grabbed the rope that held Silver Screen in the air in his mouth, and gently lowered him to the ground.

Silver Screen sighed. “It’s fine, I was just hoping to get out of here a little sooner. I hope you didn’t make me late. I kind of have a performance coming up tonight.”

“You don’t say. Would you happen to be performing with a pony by the name of Long Haul?” The black maned pegasus asked.

Silver Screen perked up. “Actually yes, he’s my partner.”

Riggs pointed a hoof towards the main exit. “Well he actually just left here. So if you hurry you should be able to catch up to him in no time.”

Silver nodded, and galloped off towards the entrance. “Thanks Riggs!” He shouted before bursting into the Haygas streets.

“Good luck kid!” Riggs shouted back.

Silver Screen made his way across the strip, and burst into the lobby of the Celestia’s Palace casino to the sight of Long Haul, Lemon Drop, and Aces High already in a conversation “Sorry I’m late everypony. You would not believe the day I’ve had. Those ponies over at the Neighlagio are crazy!” He yelled.

Aces High shrugged. “I don’t know about that, I always thought the Neighlagio was a respectable place.” Replied Aces, who did a short bow before he trotted away.

Long Haul shook his head, and turned to whisper at Silver Screen. “I thought something was off about that pony, and now I know it!.” He then turned, and called out at the exiting tycoon. “Hey Aces!”

Aces High turned back around. “Long Haul is there something else I can do for you? I’m a very busy pony.”

Long Haul smirked before he laid his metaphorical cards on the table. “Yeah I want to know who you really are, because you damn sure aren’t Aces High.” He shouted as the various ponies in the lobby stopped what they were doing, and all turned to look at the exchange of words. “I may not know him that well, but I do know that he can’t stand anything about the Neighlagio. So I’ll ask you one more time. Who the buck are you?”

Silver Screen gasped at Long Haul’s sudden outburst. “Hey buddy I don’t think that’s any way to talk to our employer.”

The pony who claimed to be Aces High flashed a mad grin that bore not the normal teeth of a pony, but a jagged set of fangs. “Well played Long Haul, I must confess that for a moment I actually thought you had fallen for my ruse. When my subordinate reported that she had failed to subdue you, and the rest of your party in the night I feared briefly that my plans would falter, but I digress. We shall simply have to do away with you here, and now.” With that, the thing that claimed to be Aces High raised a hoof into the air and brought it down twice on the ground.

Silver Screen watched, or rather did not as the lights went out. He then heard a loud hiss that vaguely familiar to something he had heard on the edges of sleep that night. “Long Haul, I want you to close your eyes, you too Lemon Drop.” He said as the hiss grew louder. He reached into the pits of his consciousness, and grasped at the light spell he had used when he heard the supposed intruder. What he did not expect however; was only a shower of sparks to sputter out of his horn. “Oops”

Author's Note:

And so some light is shed on the situation at hoof, or rather not shed. Next up is Lemon Drop's day in Haygas, or rather Los Pegasus. As always be sure to leave a comment on the story, and tell me what you liked, or did not like. It's your readership, and feedback that keeps me going. So let me know what you think! - Rouis