• Published 13th May 2015
  • 705 Views, 267 Comments

At the Twilight of Harmony - Rammy



The Keeper War has begun. Can the Hourglass Dragon Clan defeat the Nameless One before harmony falls?

  • ...
7
 267
 705

PreviousChapters Next
Looking for Love...

31 days since the fall of Traxti City

5 days since Legacy Chaser’s murder

Morning, Crystal Empire


He of Hourglass followed the crystal stallion through the streets of the Crystal City. He didn’t say much and most of what the stallion said was lost on him. The Empire just was way overwhelming for the spark dragon. Just the cast amount of crystals and the fact that nearly everything had a shiny crystal like sheen to it. He only finally snapped out of his when he was lead into the throne room. No one was on the throne but there was a simple cushion in front of it with a pink and normal looking unicorn mare sitting on it. There was some ponies mingling about.

She moved just enough as she was chatting with another pony for him to see her cutiemark. At that he knew immediately who the mare was: Starlight Glimmer. This would explain the equal sign cutiemarks, the creepy smiles he saw on his way through the city, and the loss of communication. He would have to tread carefully if he had a chance fixing whatever the idiot of a pony did to the Empire and free the crystal ponies.

“Well this is a surprise. I was told that dragons avoided the Crystal Empire and yet you came walking right into the city… Why?” She called out sweetly as the spark dragon approached.

“Your reputation precedes you and I wanted to see it for myself.” He of Hourglass explained. “Though I think the reports were a bit exaggerated.”

“I apologize for that. It’s never a good thing to exaggerate in any way… it leads to resentment…” He of Hourglass noticed that there was a slight edge to her voice at the last word.

“I have to ask... why is every...pony so happy? I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a happy filled place before…”

“Thank you, but we try to remain as modest as possible here bragging leads to jealousy you know…”

“I suppose so…” He of Hourglass slowly admitted. Out of the corner of his eye he could see ponies beginning to gather. This can’t be good… “but I can’t help but wonder if it is too good to be true…”

“I see… you need some help understanding… Everypony why don’t we let our guest know. From the top!”

Life is so grand in Crystal City
Dont look at us with pity
We're always filled with cheer
‘Cause we know that we're all here

He of Hourglass cringed at the awfulness of the lyrics and music… He of Music would probably roast them alive for calling it music… He growled as he covering his ear frills.

In our city, in our city
We don't have to wait
To find out that our destiny…

Stop!” He of Hourglass roared. The ponies stopped, several screamed in fright. “Quit perverting Soul Songs with your song and dance routine.”

The dragon noticed a nearly imperceptible frown on the mare’s face before she reign in it for a smile. “I’m sorry… I supposed one such as yourself is not used to music… and what did you mean by soul songs?”

“Harmony Songs is what I believe you ponies call them. As for the music part... music fills my home’s air every night… that isn't cringe worthy…”

“Oh, I see…” Starlight Glimmer started to paced around him. “You think you're better than everyone else. Don’t you?”

“Actually, no… I…” He of Hourglass tried to protest.

“True happiness and harmony, “She interrupted him, “comes from when we are all of the same... where pride can’t get in the way because we have ‘special talents.’’

“Sameness does not equal harmony.” He of Hourglass countered, crossing his arms.

“I don’t want to come off as rude, but seriously, “ She barely concealed her sneer, “how can a beast know anything about harmony!?”

“More than you do or should I bring up that lovely town of yours…” He of Hourglass smirked as he mocked her previous failure.

The mare’s anger was clearly getting harder for her to control but she managed to hold it it to the spark dragon amazement. “I think you are just jealous and need to be enlightened.” With that her horn lit up. He of Hourglass growled as the pony sucked up his sparks and placed them in a jar. He struggled for a moment then roared before weakness came over him and he fell to his knees.

“Take him to the reeducation for troublemakers room with the other two.” She ordered to some guards. “Watch his claws and fangs, but don’t worry about his flame. Without his magic he can’t produce any.”

Guards surrounded He of Hourglass and he made it a point to show his irritation by keeping his fangs visible. He didn't resist, however, as he was escorted into the bowels of the palace. He lost track of all of the halls, stairs, and doorways they went through.

Finally, after a while, they stopped in front of a locked door. He of Hourglass could make out the faint sounds of a mare droning from the other side. He could fully hear who it was once one of the guards unlocked and opened the door. The palace prison. What a surprise. He of Hourglass noted as he was rudely shoved in. He also took note that at least two of the cells where occupied. He was quickly herded into a open cell and locked in. The guards hastily left, leaving him and the other prisoners along with Starlight Glimmer’s voice.

Difference is frustration. To excel is to fail. Be your best by never being your best. Conformity will set you…

He of Hourglass looked past his cell and into the other two cells across the hall. One contained a white unicorn stallion with a three tone blue mane and tail. the one next to his had a pink alicorn mare. Both looks frazzled, like they had been down here for a while. The stallion had eyed him darkly when he was led down here. “Love Princess and her mate?”

“Who are you dragon?” The stallion narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

“Shining, please.” The mare admonished. “Do we know you?”

“No. But I do know you.”

“Clearly.” Shining rolled his eyes.

“Shining!” The mare face hooved.

“How can we trust this dragon Candace!” Shining paced in his cell. “He could be working for Starlight Glimmer for all we know!?”

“I AM NOT WITH OR FOR HER!” He of Hourglass roared spooking the mare and causing the stallion flich for a millisecond before Shining growled in anger back at him. He sighed as he realized he let his own anger get to him. The stallion reminded him of Quartermaster. He gazed at the alicorn he now had confirmed to be ‘Candace.’ “Sorry... It’s been a trying few months for me… Your mate reminds me of Quartermaster.”

“Quartermaster?”

“A clan mate… it doesn't matter…” He of Hourglass waved his claw dismissively. “What matters is I have found you.”

“Found us?” Shining questioned as he narrowed his eyes. He wasn’t sure about this dragon’s supposed story.

“By chance do you know how long have we been down here?” Candace asked.

“Too long! I’ve been sick of listening to her slow monotone voice spouting cultist one liners since HOUR ONE!” Shining ended his rant yelling towards the prison doors.

“Not sure, to be honest with you, communication from here stopped seven days ago.”

“Seven days!” Shining exclaimed in disbelief.

“Yes...”

“Wait... how do you know that?”

“Easy. I am He of Hourglass, Firstclaw of the Hourglass Clan. My clan is currently allied with the Kingdom of Equestria. I hope you got the details before communication collapsed.”

“We are allied with a dragon clan?! Since when?”

The dragon groaned. “Clearly communication was intercepted before sometime before it was lost… this is a major security breach…”

“You think?!”

“Calm down dear…”

“Don’t tell me to calm down! I personally vetted every one of the ponies responsible to courier messages from Equestria and the Crystal Empire.”

“Don’t blame yourself… Starlight Glimmer is very charismatic... she's got all the crystal ponies thinking backwards about love and friendship. That love would bring pain on them… that loved scorned was the reason for Sombra enslaving the crystal ponies… and they are so afraid of him returning…”

Well that might explain why the Crystal Heart power seemed to be waning… He of Hourglass thought.

“He’s not going to return... Twi and her friends along with the Crystal Heart made sure of that…”

The rest of what Shining said was lost on the dragon. He was having issues concentrating since being so far from home… maybe it was homesickness and not being near his hoard that was getting him so melancholy as he did technically carry it with him always…


”So... we need to turn that frown uuuuuupside down!” Pinkie giggled as she did an owl impression. EB got any ideas?”

Uh oh... He of Hourglass inwardly groaned. He was not in the mood for singing and he was about to have two naturals initiate a Soul Song. He was doomed… doooooomed...


“I ended up flustered for no reason! You should have seen the ponies going after that doll… Never did figure out where it went…

“This want it need it spell... any idea who wrote it?”

“None… Twilight answered. “Though... something tells me you might know…”

“I want it therefore I need it…” Golden Heart mused. “Sounds like dragon greed…”

“So you think Harmony created it as a way to study how dragon’s hoard?” Twilight wondered.

“Maaaybe…” Golden Heart drawn out his answer. His mind was already finding a way to get back at He of Music and He of Harmony’s little prank from the day before.

“What are you up to?” Twilight accused while she narrowed her eyes.

“Nothing…” Golden Heart tried to make himself appear innocent.

“Uh huh… Twilight crossed her forelegs. “Spill.”


“...those ponies they... they are wonderful…” He of Hourglass chuckled at the memories. He needed it especially with the the annoying voice calmly voicing that ‘You're no better than your friends.’

“You love them don’t you? I can see the lust…”

“You’re mistaken…” He of Hourglass automatically responded, still looked upwards, a sparkle in his eyes. Apparently the two ponies had stop arguing during his trip down memory lane. “I don’t lust after them but the bond of friendship we have. I’m always looking for ways to strengthen our friendship… for those bonds are my hoard.”

“Ha!” Shining mock laughed. “Dragons are known for hoarding treasures like gold and gems not friendship.”

Candace face hooved. “Honey, I am the love princess I think I know what I see. He is in love with those ponies and not an unhealthy manner either.”

“How can you tell?” Shining pointed a hoof at the dragon for emphasis. “He is a dragon not a pony and you are without your magic!”

“The eyes... his eyes tell me everything…” Candace's eyes sparkled as she gazed at the dragon. “Though I will admit that his eyes are a bit difficult to read. He is the first dragon I’ve seen up this close…”

“Yes, but that is your talent and she took that from you… or are you holding back things from me again?”

“I trained myself to do it without my talent magic after her third invasion for just such as occasion as this… though to be fair I expected Tirek again…”

“Third invasion?” This really got He of Hourglass’ attention. He was vaguely aware of Equestria’s recent history but he could not figure out what ‘third invasion’ meant.

“Changelings. More specifically the vile Chrysalis” Shining spat.

“I wouldn’t worry about her anymore. She’s dead.”

“That bucking bitch is dead?” Shining’s head snapped towards the dragon.

“Shining! Where did you learn such language!”

“Diamond dogs.” He of Hourglass answered. It was thanks to Twixt’d he knew that one.

“Thank you.” Candace thanked the dragon warmly before her expression chilled. “When we have a moment, dear you and I are going to have a little chat.” She glared at Shining for a moment longer before putting back if somewhat forced smile. She really wanted to hear the juicy details of the dragon’s love affair with the two ponies. “I find it romantic that a dragon would fall in love with a pair of ponies. Tell me when…”

“Whoa.” He of Hourglass went bright red as he stopped the alicorn mare. “Whoa. I said friendship… not love... From what I understand of pony culture, one usually finds their mates through friendship and that their mates are in essence their best friend. But in our culture (not to mention biology) finding and having a mate is… different… anyway enough of me…” He of Hourglass turned to walk to the back of the cell. “You two need some heart to heart.”

He of Hourglass sat down and did his best to ignore the heated argument that started up between the two ponies. He had some things to figure out first. Mainly how to turn this whole situation around...


He of Hourglass awoke sometime later. He didn’t remember falling asleep. A look around told him that the two ponies had at least stopped arguing. A plus in his book, for now. He put that aside though because as much as the rest was helpful he had to come up with a plan. If he didn’t the crystal ponies may lose the Crystal Heart and the power that protected them. The evil unicorn couldn’t come back and even then… there was the issue of wendigos and any changeling hives remaining.

I GOT IT! He of Hourglass fist pumped as he suddenly got a working plan. He now knew how to free the Crystal Empire and hopefully with no blood loss.

...Accept your limitations, and happiness will follow. To love is to hate. Hate is to say you are better than others...

“I can’t stand another minute of her incessant chatter!” Shining Armor suddenly snapped, getting he of Hourglass attention. He looked over to see the pony trying to melt the loudspeaker with his eyeballs.

“Then…. I’d say it’s a good thing I came to rescue you.” He of Hourglass casually looked at his claws like he was bored.

“You got captured!” Shining Armor laughed at the absurdity of the dragon’s assertion. “I’m sure she took your magic like she did us. Soon she will take our sanity though I guess you got lucky as you have none!”

He of Hourglass leaned towards them, grasping the bars lightly. “Who says I was captured?” He questioned lightly with a slight smirk on his snout.

A confused frown graced both of the ponies faces until a wicked understanding grin creeped onto Shining Armor’s. He realized exactly what the dragon had done. A clever move if he said so himself. As a dragon he, like his wife and himself, would be considered dangerous and would be ‘housed’ in a secure place. If he was truly here to rescue them this was a brilliant way of finding out where they were being held captive. Aside from his initial trepidation with the dragon he was really beginning to like the way this dragon thought.

Be your best by never being your best. Free yourself from your cutie mark. Exceptionalism is a lie...

PreviousChapters Next