• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,290 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,290

PreviousChapters Next
Epilogue

////
Epilogue
////

Silence.

It was so quiet.

It was so quiet, that it burned his ears.

The blaring, deafening silence.

“It’s about time you woke up, Alex,” Discord said, blinking into existence in front of the disoriented pony.

Alex was afraid to say anything.

Where was he?

Was this inside the stone?

Or purgatory. Maybe… hell?

All he could see was unending blackness, and Discord.

“Stop freaking out,” Discord said, patting him on the shoulder, “You won! You saved the day!”

“W-what the fuck, Discord?” Alex finally said, still so in the dark, “What have you done? What was all of this for?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you that if was all for the greater good, would you?” Discord asked.

“Not for a second.” Alex replied, looking around the darkness.

“Well, I guess I have a lot to tell you then.” Discord said.

“It’s not like we don’t have the time…” Alex sighed.

“It’s already been a week, you know,” Discord said, pointing to a clock that appeared next to him, “Time doesn’t mean much in here.”

“Really?” Alex asked, “So, everypony’s—“

“Working very hard to save you, yes.” Discord said, “And I hope they find a way soon.”

“What about everypony else trapped in stone?” Alex demanded, “What happened to them?”

“Nopony was EVER in stone, Alex,” Discord said, loving the confused look Alex was giving him, “Well, the princesses were. But I freed them before we had our fight.”

“But- but…” Alex stammered, trying to wrap his head around this, “I don’t get it!”

“It was all part of the master plan, Alex,” Discord said calmly, “The greater good.”

“So, tell me what the ‘master plan’ was then,” Alex asked, completely lost as to why Discord was being so nice now, “Why did everything have to happen?”

“This, is why I did what I did.” Discord said, as the Elements of Harmony appeared above his hand. All of them now devoid of color, showing only blackness, “This is the next step for your friends.”

“What did you do to them?” Alex asked, “How did you change the Elements like that?”

“I turned each Element into two Elements,” Discord said, as a large ball lit up, showing how each of his friends had acted when their Elements cracked, and blackened, “They all now represent both Harmony, and Chaos.”

Fluttershy had been angrier than Alex had ever seen.

Applejack was lying to… a dying version of him?

Pinkie had something whispered in her ear by Discord.

Rarity was stealing… muffins?

And finally, Rainbow Dash, as a human, told Discord she would stay on earth with Alex.

“What’s the ends to all this?” Alex asked, “This makes no sense!”

“I did it to teach you ponies a lesson,” Discord said, as the ball vanished, “And give you something to overcome.”

“What lessons did they learn exactly?” Alex asked, doubting there would be anything real.

Discord smiled as he began his list.

“Wrath: Sometimes, you need to get angry to get results. Fluttershy did just that, and saved her friends life.”

“Deceit: The last thing a dying pony wants to hear is that they’re dying. If you lie to their face, they can go much more peacefully, or perhaps stay calm enough to be saved. Applejack let you die in a much more calm state.”

“Sorrow: Letting someone you don’t trust have control of a situation can be heartbreaking, especially when you think they’re evil, but it can also save lives. Pinkie might have saved Equestria by trusting me.”

“Greed: As sad as it is, friends come before strangers, and in certain situations, you need to starve them, to save the ponies you love. Rarity knows that now.”

“Betrayal: Sometimes you need to leave your friends behind to start a new chapter in your life. Rainbow Dash was ready to do that just for you, Alex. You’re a lucky colt.”

Alex took it all in. Discord had done this… elaborate plan, just so his friends could see the other sides of themselves that existed, as much as they would all have denied it.

“Now, let me start from the beginning—“

“Just… Give me the abridged version, please” Alex asked, not wanting to sit here for days listening to Discord.

Discord rolled his eyes.

“Fine.” Discord said. “Basically… Something is coming, Alex.”

“What?” Alex asked, realizing this was perhaps a bit TOO abridged, “What’s coming?”

“I don’t know.” Discord said, now very seriously, “I felt it just before you came to Equestria. It’s powerful… And you followed behind it into this world.”

“I did?” Alex asked, “That’s what opened the door I found a year ago?”

“Yes,” Discord said, “And it’s something unimaginably powerful. It’s like me, times a thousand.”

Alex gulped loudly.

“Your friends now all hold the power of chaos within them,” Discord said, “If they are able to overcome their dark sides as you did, they’ll unlock the same abilities as you… And you all might be able to defeat whatever it is.”

“You’re making them… soldiers?” Alex asked, “What do you think gives you the right?”

“I was the ruler of Equestria first!” Discord said, “And I’m not going to sit back, and let some evil butt-face ruin my old home.”

“You’re not the ruler anymore,“ Alex said, “My friends aren’t your subjects.”

“Alex, everypony is in real danger, you need to trust my judgment,” Discord said seriously, “Pinkie believed me when I told her all of this.”

“What do you mean?” Alex asked.

“Remember when I whispered in her ear in the little slideshow?” Discord asked, “And she turned all pale, and sad?”

“Yeah…” Alex said.

“I told her what I’m telling you now,” He said, “I told her that this needed to happen, to save her friends.”

“And she just… trusted you?” Alex asked.

“I apologized, and told her that she needed to give me a chance to prove myself.” Discord said, “She could have destroyed me right there, if she wanted. But, instead, she let me do what I needed, despite it breaking her heart.”

“So, how did you break the Elements then?” Alex inquired.

“All of your friends needed to be exposed to high levels of chaotic magic, so when they acted in contrast to their Elements of Harmony, they would be tainted by their opposites, the Elements of Chaos.” Discord explained.

“And how many Chaotic Elements are there again?” Alex asked.

“Six, the same as with Harmony.” Discord said, “Wrath, Sorrow, Deceit, Greed, Betrayal, and Selfishness. That one is you, buddy.”

“Twilight won’t represent one then?” Alex asked.

“She will,” Discord said, “The Element of Magic stays the same, it just represents the powers interacting with it. Which in this case, will be both Harmony and Chaos.”

“Alright,” Alex said, satisfied with the explanation he had gotten, “But why did you and I need to turn to stone? You accomplished your mission, and made the Elements chaotic, didn’t you?”

“I still had one thing left to do, Alex,” Discord said, “And that was to test you as a pony.”

“Why did I need to be tested? I thought I already represented both Chaos and Harmony.” Alex asked.

“You’re a human in Equestria,” Discord said, pointing a finger at him, “I needed to make sure you were ready to be Equestria’s martyr.”

“Are you sure you’re using that word right?” Alex asked.

“Probably?" Discord shrugged

“Well, I’m… happy to hear that then... I guess?” Alex said, scratching the back of his head.

“You’d better be! I don’t just praise anypony, you know!” Discord laughed.

“What about you?” Alex asked, “If they free me from this spell… What do you expect for yourself?”

“That’s on the Princesses. Before I turned them to stone, I promised them I wouldn’t hurt anypony.” Discord said, “So, we’ll just have to wait, and hope they see some forgiveness in them.”

Alex sighed, feeling like he had been standing there for hours.

“And how long has passed in Equestria again?” Alex asked.

Discord looked at his watch and frowned, “About… a month?”

“What?!” Alex shouted, “I just got here!”

“How do you think I lasted a THOUSAND years in here?” Discord asked, “I would have gone bonkers if it had actually been that long!”

Alex sighed, and sat down in a chair that had appeared behind him.

“I think I just need to rest a bit” Alex said, feeling his eyes grow heavy.

“Don’t sleep for too long!” Discord called, as he faded from in front of Alex, “You might miss a few years!”

“Years…” Alex said quietly, as he closed his eyes, “For the love of Celesta, please don’t move on, Dash…”

////

Author's Note:

Beyond this, there will be no more chapters, until I post the continuation, which will be a standalone chapter, as Chasing the Rainbow, and Fall of the Night had been. (One long ass chapter.)

I'm going to add a CREDITS chapter to thank a few people who have had a large impact on the story, and i may also add one more AN at the very end, with any other information about the future of the story.

I won't take years to continue either. But i am going to take a nice break.

PreviousChapters Next