• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,266 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,266

PreviousChapters Next
The Best Night Ever - Part 1

////
The Best Night Ever – Part 1
////

Looking at himself in the mirror, Alex smiled, he was dressed in his white Tuxedo, had his hair gelled to the side, and wore a pair of shiny black shoes. All in all, he was dapper as all hell.

Tomorrow was the Grand Galloping Gala, and Rarity had forced him and Spike to dress themselves in advance, so she could decide whether or not they would need to have a different set of clothes or not, so they would match their dates.

“How’s this?” Alex asked, stepping out of the changing room within the Carousel Boutique.

“Rainbow Dash, go stand beside him, dear,” Rarity said, tapping her hoof to her chin, dressed in her dress as well.

Dash, clad in her own Gala dress, walked over to Alex, and stood next to him.

“Hmm…” Rarity said, looking them over.

The main problem she saw was that Alex had no color in his outfit whatsoever, while Dash had all the colors of the rainbow on hers. It simply didn’t look right.

“Alright, Alex,” Rarity said, “I think we’re going to need to get you something new.”

“Dang.” Alex said, “What did you have in mind? Where should I get it from?”

“Well, I’ll whip something up tonight for you,” She said, “It won’t take long at all.”

“What about me?” Spike asked, walking out of the changing room, in his black tuxedo, with white tie.

“Come here, sweetie,” Rarity said, stepping herself in front of the mirror as Spike joined her in the reflection.

“The red and black look really good together!” Alex said, thinking they matched perfectly.

Rarity gave him a look, before sighing, and agreeing with him.

“I think so too.” She nodded, “Spike, you’re fine with what you have.”

“Great!” Spike said, “Can I get out of this now?”

“Sure, dear,” She said, turning back to Alex, “Do you have a preference on style? Tight, or loose fitting coat? Single or double breasted? Pockets?”

“Can it be tear-away?” Alex asked, holding his breath.

“Why would you ever need that?” She asked.

“Well, what kind of party is this?” Alex asked, “Have you ever seen party boy?”

“I’m afraid I haven’t,” Rarity said, “And this is an extremely formal event!”

“Well, in that case, just do whatever you think would be best,” Alex laughed, “I trust your judgment.”

Smiling, Rarity nodded, “As you should!”

“So, I’ll be back tomorrow morning then?” Alex asked.

“Of course,” Rarity said, turning away, levitating a few colors of fabric out of her workbench, “Have a nice night, you two!”

After a few minutes of changing, Alex and Dash left the boutique, on their way out to dinner.

“You know,” Dash said, “I’m not that excited about this gala.”

“I thought you were dying to go,” Alex said, “You want to meet the Wonder—Oh, right.”

“Right,” She smiled, “I mean, it’ll be nice to see the Princesses again, but we JUST saw them.”

“Well, maybe the two of us can just enjoy the night together,” Alex said, “We can dance, eat some food, maybe stand on the balcony and gaze at the night sky… Make something romantic out of it.”

“Well, I guess that sounds alright,” Dash said, “We don’t have enough romance.”

“This’ll make up for it,” Alex smiled.

“It had better!” She faux-threatened, “If it’s not REALLY special, I might just go out with some other guy… Maybe that Prince Blueblood.”

“Well, you COULD,” Alex said, “But I might have a chaotic accident, and blow him up.”

“Like that bucket of turnips?” Dash giggled.

“Worse,” Alex said, shaking his head, “I’d probably destroy half the castle in the process.”

“Fine,” Dash smiled, “I guess I’m stuck with you.”

“Sounds good to me,” Alex said.

“Me too.” She smiled, moving closer to him, and pressing her side to his, so they were touching as they walked.

Alex loved walking this way. The closest thing he could compare it to was holding hands. But the way she slightly leaned into him, using him as support, gave him a feeling of dependence from her. It was such a small action, but it made him feel needed.

Arriving at the small café, Alex frowned.

“Dash, what do you say we go someplace different?” Alex asked.

“Really?” Dash asked, “Where did you have in mind?”

Alex thought carefully. Ponyville wasn’t really the best place to go for fancy dining, and they would need to dress up again. So, what else was there?

“How about…” Alex said slowly, “I make you dinner?”

Dash smirked, “You? Cooking?”

“Believe it or not, I had a knack for it back in my world,” Alex said.

“I’m always happy to have food cooked for me,” Dash smiled, “What would you make me?”

“Are you a fan of Alfredo?” Alex asked.

“Pasta?” She asked, “Sure, what’ll we need to pick up?”

“I have a special recipe,” Alex said, “I just hope I can do it with hooves!”

“Let’s hurry up then!” Dash said, changing direction toward the grocery store, “They’re closing soon!”

////

“Are you sure you needed all that stuff?” Dash asked, as Alex emptied the bags on to the counter, “I get the heavy cream, milk, and butter… But nutmeg? Garlic? And cream cheese?”

“Trust me,” Alex said, levitating two pots and a large skillet from the cupboard, “This’ll be delicious… If I can get it right.”

Dash watched silently as Alex placed the cream in the pot, and turning on the element.

Not seeing a microwave, he placed the cream cheese in the skillet, and turned the heat on low.

Then, with the third pot, he filled it with water, and placed it behind the heating cream.

Quickly, the cream started to boil.

“Now, when you do this, you need to make sure that you babysit the cream,” Alex said, taking a rubber spatula, and rapidly rubbed it along the bottom of the pot, keeping the cream from sticking, “If it burns, you’re gonna have a bad time.”

Dash continued to watch, as he looked over to the cream cheese that had started to melt under the low heat in the skillet.

“Alright… next,” Alex said, levitating the garlic out of the bag, and pulling two cloves out of the bunch, placing them on the cutting board, he squished them with the flat side of his knife, making them crack, and skin come loose.

Lifting them up, he magically pulled the loose skin from the clove, exposing the inside.

Cutting the ends off both pieces, he minced the garlic into tiny pieces that he quickly threw into the melted cream cheese.

“The water is boiling,” Dash said, pointing to the back pot.

“Thanks,” Alex said, levitating the box of fettuccini off the counter, opening the box, cracking the noodles in half, and tossing them into the boiling water.

Dash watched in awe, as he stirred the cream with one spell, covered the pasta with another, and lightly pressed a spoon into the remaining cream cheese, helping it melt.

Looking to the boiling cream, he was satisfied with the amount it had reduced, and added a few cups of regular milk, to help reduce the overall richness that the product would have.

Levitating the hard piece of parmesan cheese up, he placed it on top of the melted cream cheese and garlic, allowing it be heated, and melt itself.

A few minutes passed as nothing but boiling happened.

Finally, placing a spoon in the boiling milk and cream mixture, he was satisfied with the reduction, and thickness of the fluid.

Next, he stirred the extremely thick cream cheese combination, to make sure all of the parmesan had melted. Seeing that it had, he lifted the cream pot, and poured it into the skillet, combining the two white liquids, into the skillet, allowing them to mix together, and boil together.

Levitating the pasta pot off the element, he brought a noodle from the pot to his mouth, and chewed it.

“Al Dente,” Alex smiled, pulling the colander from beneath him, and strained the noodles, shaking all the excess moisture from them, into the sink.

Finally, he poured the finished noodles into the skillet with the sauce, and cranked the heat.

“Almost there,” Alex said, taking the butter from the counter, and cutting a generous chunk from the brick, placing it in the skillet, and covering it with a large lid.

“Now, we let that boil for a bit!” Alex said, smiling as he looked to her, “Dash?”

“You’re… amazing at this!” She said, he jaw on the floor, “Why haven’t you done this before?”

“We haven’t tasted it yet,” Alex said, lifting the lid, and mixing the mixture for a moment, before re-covering it, “It might not be any good.”

“We’ll see, I guess,” Dash smiled, being fully confident in him.

Waiting patiently for a few minutes, Alex finally took the heat off the Alfredo, and took a pinch of nutmeg, and tossed it in, mixing everything up.

“Finished!” Alex announced.

“Oh,” Dash said quickly, walking out of the room, “I’ll go set the table.”

“No need,” He called to her, hearing her gasp from the next room.

Somehow, during his multitasking in the kitchen, he had managed to place a table cloth, set two places, get a bottle of grape juice open and breathing, and place two candles in the middle of the table, in the otherwise dark room.

“How did you do that…?” She asked, walking back into the kitchen, as he approached her with two plates.

“Magic,” He smiled, placing one place on each end, and pulling out her chair, “Have a seat.”

Dash just silently sat down in the chair, albeit uncomfortably. Alex had insisted on getting chairs in various rooms of the house, so he could sit upright. She hadn’t gotten used to it yet, but was growing accustomed.

Sitting down at the opposite side of the table, Alex watched in anticipation as she wrapped her hoof around a fork.

“I hate these things…” Dash grumbled at her silverware, wishing she could just eat face first.

“Sorry,” Alex laughed, “I’m kinda human-ing up the place.”

Twirling some pasta on her fork, she brought it to her mouth, and bit it off.

Immediately, her face lit up, as she tasted the food, and swallowed it.

“This is amazing! It’s milky… And creamy!” She beamed, taking another bite, “Why haven’t you done this before?!”

“I’m… Lazy?” Alex laughed, “And the whole hooves thing was a problem. I needed to know magic to REALLY be able to cook.”

“Well, you sure as heck can do it!” She smiled, before looking at him seriously, “You didn’t just get your cutie mark, did you?”

Going wide eyed, Alex looked at his flank, and was somewhat relieved to see nothing.

“Whoo!” He laughed, “Dodged a bullet!”

“How?” She asked, “A cooking Cutie Mark would be pretty cool!”

“I’m hoping for something a bit… flashier?” Alex laughed, “Not a boring chef’s hat.”

“You really do sound like a member of that Cutie Mark Club,” Dash said, shaking her head, “You don’t get to pick your destiny.”

“Psh, just watch me!” Alex said, taking a bit of the food and smiling, “I’ll get an epic Cutie Mark! You just watch!”

“Good luck,” She said absentmindedly, focusing on her food now.

Following suit, Alex dove into his as well. He had nailed it, and was proud he still had some talent from earth.

“Hey, Alex,” Dash said, suddenly, as he looked up from his delicious food, “I wanted to ask you some stuff.”

“Shoot,” Alex said, looking at her, seeing an uneasy look.

“Are we… living together now?” She asked, looking at him with a cocked head.

“Well,” Alex said, thinking back to his room at the library, “We started bunking together after we saw Bolt die in the Crystal Kingdom, so we wouldn’t wake up from a nightmare, and be alone.”

She nodded.

“I mean, if you don’t want me spending all my time here, that’s totally fine!” Alex said quickly, realizing he might have been upsetting her personal space by just… Staying here.

“Oh, no!” She said quickly, “I don’t want you to leave!”

“That’s a relief,” Alex sighed, “What else was bugging you?”

“I don’t really know…” Dash said, “I guess I’m just not used to living with a stallion.”

“Well, I’m not used to BEING a stallion,” Alex smiled, “That puts us on even ground, right?”

“Yeah,” She smiled back, “I guess it’s just because I’ve never been in a serious relationship before.”

“It can be confusing, for sure,” Alex agreed, “I mean, I’ve hardly kissed a girl, but here I am, living with one, only a year after that.”

“How many girls have you kissed?” Dash asked suddenly feeling a bit self-conscious.

“Jealous?” Alex asked, raising an eyebrow, before realizing that she genuinely was, “Uh, just one.”

“Me too,” Dash said, looking at him, “Just once with Appleja— Uh… Oh crap.“

Alex was frozen, his eyes huge.

She bit her lip.

“Applejack?” Alex asked.

“Look, there’s no need to be jealous!” Dash said, “It was just a friendly—“

“Why would I be jealous?” Alex laughed out loud, “That’s awesome!”

Dash frowned; he WOULD think that, wouldn’t he?

“Did you use tongue??” He asked quickly, “Tell me!”

Rolling her eyes, she looked at the ceiling, “There was… a bit.”

“Holy buck,” Alex said, rolling his head around, “This is the best news ever.”

“Why…?” She asked.

“My marefriend, kisses girls!” The endless possibilities ran through his head, as he started turning a bit Dax-ish.

“We were young!” Dash said quickly, “I had just moved here, and met her…”

“When did you move here?” Alex asked.

“Two, maybe three years ago?” She said.

“That’s not young at all!” Alex said happily, “This is awesome! You’re the best!”

“Come on, Alex,” She said, “That’s not gonna be happening again, it was just an experiment.”

“Oh…” He said, looking like a kid that had just lost his favorite toy, “Okay.”

Dash shook her head, trying not to lose her self control, and start laughing at his patheticness.

“How about this,” She reasoned, smiling inwardly, “If you kiss a couple of dudes while I watch, then I’ll kiss some girls while you watch.”

Alex frowned.

“This is dumb! Never mind!” Alex huffed, crossing his arms in front of him.

“I figured,” She winked.

////

“I can’t believe you made me do the dishes!” Dash said, walking out on the balcony of her house toward Alex, where he sat in a long chair, out looking toward Canterlot.

“I made dinner,” Alex shrugged, “That’s the rule!”

“Okay, okay,” She said, sitting next to him, on the same seat, “What’re looking at?”

“Those fireworks,” Alex said, pointing toward Canterlot Castle, “What are they for?”

“It happens every night before the Gala,” Dash explained, “There’s some kind of street celebration that everypony in Canterlot is invited to.”

“Huh,” Alex said, as she cuddled next to him, “Maybe we should go up there.”

“Nonono,” Dash said quickly, “I’m tired, and it’s not that exciting. The crowds are enormous… And I’m sleepy.”

“Oh,” Alex said, scooching closer to her, as she pressed her head into his chest, and closed his eyes, “Next time maybe.”

“Yeah…” She said, listening to the rhythm of his heart beat, “Or, we could just… Cuddle some more, you know, next year this time.”

Wrapping his arms around her back, he pulled her even closer, removing any gap between them.

“I guess that would work,” Alex said, running his hoof through her hair.

“Alex…” She said into his chest, not moving.

“Hmm?” He asked, closing his eyes.

“Please don’t get sick of me.” She said quietly.

“Don’t worry about that,” Alex said, “I don’t think I could do better than you in a million years.”

“Thanks…” She squeaked.

With that, they both drifted off into a peaceful sleep, having just had the romantic night they both had wanted.

It had been their best night ever… So far.

////

PreviousChapters Next