• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 42,253 Views, 4,897 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic -- Off The Record - The King of Hearts



A new pony is introduced to Equestria just before the fight with Nightmare Moon in Episode 1. Changing the entire story.

  • ...
298
 4,897
 42,253

PreviousChapters Next
The Case of the Missing Ponies

////
The Case of the Missing Ponies & Suited for Success: Part 1
////

Alex and Rainbow Dash had spent the remainder of their day together, after leaving their friends to deal with the Princess in the sky. They had gone back to the library, and she had prepared them sandwiches for dinner. Needless to say, Alex was happy with the outcome of the day. The sun was going to set, and nopony was back yet, giving the two plenty of alone time.

“I could get used to you cooking me dinner…” Alex said happily, polishing off the last of his lettuce and cheese sandwich, “Could have used some ham though…”

“Ham?” Dash asked.

“Oh, nothing.” Alex said quickly, “It’s a ‘my world’ thing.”

Dash simply nodded.

Alex did miss meat a bit, but, ponies were vegetarian! So, there wasn’t really much he could say without sounding… a little bucked up. So, simply, he was going to live a vegetarian life, as much as that made him a tiny bit sad.

“So,” Dash started, “What next?”

“Well,” Alex said, thinking to himself, “Spike and Twilight are out…”

Dash liked the sound of where he was going, “Well… If you really want to!”

“Yeah,” Alex agreed, “We should go find them.”

“Wait—What?” Dash asked, a little lost, “but… I thought…! Uh… Never mind.”

“What were you thinking?” Alex said, raising an eyebrow and smiling.

Dash was silent.

“Daaaash.” Alex coaxed.

“I- I thought you wanted to make out or something!” Dash blurted out, blushing heavily, and hiding her eyes behind her long hair.

“You. Are. Precious.” Alex smiled, trying not to laugh, “Besides, we’d go to your place to do that. No surprise visitors… You’d just have to carry me up.”

Dash giggled, looking up, “Sounds good to me!”

“Come on, let’s go find our friends.” Alex said, still grinning like an idiot.

“Keep acting like that, and we’ll never make out!” Dash said, trying to conceal the embarrassment she still felt.

“Yeah right!” Alex laughed, “I couldn’t keep you off of me if I tried!”

Dash knew that was mostly true, so, she decided to end the conversation there, as he would only make things worse from this point on. So, she walked to the door, opened it, and walked out.

“Are you coming?” Dash asked.

“Yeah,” Alex said quickly, “Let’s go!”

////

The two looked all over town for places that they might be: Sugercube Corner, The Carousel Boutique, and even Fluttershy’s cottage. However, nopony had seen them since the race. So, now Rarity and Fluttershy had joined the party, and were helping them look around.

Alex had thought Pinkie would have helped them look, but she, and the Princesses were all missing, even though they were supposed to be at the library catching up with Twilight.

Had they all gone and done something together?

Where could they have even gone?

“I didn’t think that they’d ACTUALLY be missing!” Dash said, “How in Equestria could we lose three ponies, and two Princesses?

“I hope my little Spike is alright…” Rarity said, genuinely concerned.

“You know he’s bigger than you, right?” Dash asked.

“Oh yes, believe me, I know.” Rarity swooned.

“I wonder where they could have gone…” Fluttershy said, “Does everypony want to go check the finish line of the race? Maybe there’ll be a clue.”

“That’s a good idea,” Alex said, “Since it’s on the way to Sweet Apple Acres, we can check the farm after.”

“Great!” Dash said, “Let’s go!”

The four walked through town, checking various places on the way, but had no luck. So, they were holding their breath for the finish line, or most likely Sweet Apple Acres, since it made the most sense that they got held up there. The four speculated as to why they had been lost: Perhaps Granny Smith insisted that they eat a comically large dinner, and are all too full to walk. Or maybe they decided to help with late night chores. But in the end, nothing was really making much sense.

So, they kept on. As they neared the finish line, they started hearing some noises, and saw some lights flashing. Deciding that there may be some kind of danger, they all rushed ahead, with Fluttershy safely tucked in the back, of course.

Finally, the four arrived, and were in complete awe of what they saw when they got there.

“Luna!” Celestia shouted, “You’ve won! Just come down!”

“Yeah!” Spike agreed from beside Celestia, “I’m tired!”

“BUT SUBJECTS, I AM SO AMUSED!” Luna bellowed.

“Me too!” Pinkie said into the megaphone.

Alex couldn’t believe this. Luna was still floating around in the hot air balloon with Spike and Pinkie. Twilight and Applejack were both clearly out of breath, and were lying on the ground.

Spike stood next to Princess Celestia, and had been trying to coax Luna down with her.

“W-what’s going on?” Alex asked, wide eyed, “Is she really still up there?”

“I’m afraid so.” Celestia said, “After the race, we decided to make a game out of getting the balloon down with magic, but Luna has countered my spells, and kept herself airborne…”

“Why is she calling you guys ‘Subjects?’” Alex asked.

“Because she’s proclaimed herself as the ‘Queen of the Sky.’” Spike answered.

“I AM THE QUEEN OF THE SKY!” Luna immediately shouted triumphantly.

“Me too!” Pinkie said again.

“See?” Spike asked.

“Wow…” Dash said, “This… is not what I was expecting to find.”

“Oh my goodness…” Rarity giggled.

“Can I be a Queen of the Sky…?” Flutershy asked timidly.

“OF COURSE!” Luna said.

“Don’t encourage her Fluttershy…” Dash sighed, shaking her head.

“Oops, sorry.” Fluttershy said, smiling.

Alex decided to play along, since they had clearly been here for hours, he would just end this here.

“Hey Luna! Can I play?” Alex asked.

“OF COURSE, SUBJECT!” Luna giggled, confident in her ability.

“Alex, that’s a powerful shield,” Celestia explained, “I can cast it myself, however, it’s rather impervious to magic.”

“All magic?” Alex asked, earning a strange look from Celestia, “Because, I know some… Different stuff.”

Celestia simply nodded, and watched what he would do.

Luna and Celestia had always had friendly competitions between each other, however, they were both prideful ponies, and the ‘friendly’ part of the competitions often disappeared. Something Celestia found amusing, considering the lesson in friendship, her student had learned today regarding the exact same thing.

“Alright, go ahead,” Celestia said, somewhat curious as to what he would try.

Alex cast a levitation spell and brought himself up to the balloon. However, he hit an invisible bubble a few feet away from the basket.

Now that he knew where the barrier was, he could cast the necessary spell.

Closing his eyes, Alex concentrated on that chaotic energy he had within himself, and focused a tiny bit of it into the tip of his horn. Luckily, since Dax had gone into remission, this power was much more manageable, and was even useable in certain circumstances.

Leaning forward, Alex lightly touched the tip of his horn to the shell around the balloon. And instantly, the entire thing cracked as if it were made of glass, and fell apart, dissipating just before it reached the ground.

“NO!” Luna and Pinkie both shouted.

Levitating the two of them out of the basket, and on to the ground, Alex then lifted himself up, and got in the balloon.

“Now I’m the Queen of the sky!” Alex laughed maniacally.

Everypony laughed, except Celestia and Luna. They were both a bit baffled.

“Sister…” Luna said, a bit of surprise in her voice, “He just harnessed both chaotic magic, and harmonious magic, as if they were no different to him.”

Celestia nodded, “He is something different, indeed.”

“He’s learning much faster than we had all anticipated,” Luna added.

“His powers are growing exponentially,” Celestia said, “And he’s going to be more powerful than any of us in a few months… He’ll be the first being in history, to be able to challenge Discord on a magical level, without the assistance of the elements of harmony.”

“Is this good?” Luna asked, “Or… bad?”

“I wish I knew,” Celestia said, “We all saw the manifestation of those powers in his alter ego, Dax. So, whether that’s a bad thing, or a good thing, I don’t know.”

“It seems difficult to believe that it could be good, sister.” Luna sighed.

Celestia remained silent.

“That was impressive Alex,” Twilight admitted, “What spell was that? The princess didn’t even know it!”

“Oh, just one I… Read a couple days ago…” Alex lied, realizing that his using chaotic magic might be seen as ‘irresponsible.’

“Well, I think it’s time to go home.” Spike said, “I’m tired, and I’m hungry!”

“We don’t we all go back to the library to eat?” Twilight asked, “Spike’s always happy to make us dinner!”

“I am?” Spike asked, frowning, “Crud.”

“Don’t worry, Darling,” Rarity said, “I’ll help you out.”

“Well, we just ate.” Dash said, “But I guess we could tag along.”

“I’m in!” Pinkie shouted.

“Count me in, too!” Applejack said happily.

“I guess I could come too.” Fluttershy said.

“How about you two?” Twilight asked the Princesses.

Celesta nodded, still somewhat lost in thought.

“Great!” Twilight said, not noticing it, “Let’s go!”

////

After a few minutes of Twilight frantically setting up the room, there was enough room for everypony to gather around, and have a place to eat.

The crowd talked about various things amongst each other as Spike and Rarity worked away in the kitchen, having promising to make something delicious.

“So, Twilight,” Celestia began, turning away from her conversation with Luna, “Are you and your friends excited about the Gala?”

“Oh yes!” Pinkie cut in, “I’m SO excited!”

“I’m excited to see the garden,” Fluttershy said, “I always love meeting new friends.”

“An’ ah jus’ know I’ll make a bunch ‘a money sellin’ some of my world famous sweets!” Applejack chimed in.

“What about you, Rainbow Dash?” Celestia asked.

“Well…” Dash pondered, “At first I wanted to meet the Wonderbolts, but, I’ve kinda already done that stuff.”

“Did you meet the whole team at your training?” Twilight asked.

“Most of them,” Dash answered, “But I guess it’d be nice to meet Soarin’.”

“Who’s that?” Alex asked, “Is she a good flier?”

“HE’S a GREAT flier,” Dash corrected, “Only lost captain to Spitfire by a nose!”

“HE’S QUITE HANDSOME AS WELL!” Luna said, realizing that she was being a bit loud, “Ahem—I mean… He’s quite the… Specimen.”

The girls around the table all agreed. Even Dash nodded.

Alex didn’t like the sound of that one bit!

“He’s not the smartest though.” Twilight said.

“He barely sleeps!” Dash cut in, “He’s constantly training! That’s why he seems a bit off.”

“Well, hopefully he won’t be too tired at the Gala.” Celestia said to her.

“Even if he is, he’ll be excited to see me!” Dash said triumphantly.

“How do you know…?” Alex asked.

“Well, I’m the mare that made out in the middle of a race with somepony!” Dash laughed, “I’m sure that I’m a legend within the Wonderbolts already.”

“Well, I have heard talk of it.” Celestia admitted, “Several ponies from the castle were at the race.”

“I guess we’ll just have to wait for the Gala to find out if he remembers you.” Alex said, still just a teeny tiny bit jealous, “Which, you know, I’d be surprised if he did!”

Okay, maybe more than a ‘teeny tiny bit.’

Just then Rarity walked to the table.

“Dinner will be ready soon,” Rarity said, “I apologize for the amount of food there is. Spike made… A bit too much.”

“Sounds good to me!” Alex said, getting a look from Dash.

“You just ate!” Dash said.

“That was like, an hour ago!” Alex said, “I’m a growing pony!”

“If you keep this up, you’ll be a fatso in time for the Gala!” Dash scolded.

“You’ve been talking about the Gala?” Rarity asked, “Without me?”

“Not really,” Twilight said, “We were just talking about what we’d do at it.”

“Speaking of which, what are you going to do there, Rarity?” Celestia asked.

“Well, I plan on making myself a fabulous dress, and being the talk of the night!” Rarity said, ambitiously.

“That’s quite the plan,” Celestia laughed softly.

“Speaking of dresses, could you fix mine?” Twilight asked, “I’m glad I remembered this, while you’re here!”

Everypony watched Twilight leave the table, and run upstairs, returning a moment later, levitating a rather plain looking red dress, that had a few poorly placed frills, and a loose button.

Twilight trotted over to Rarity, and grabbed the dress out of the air with her mouth, smiling brightly.

“Oh my…” Rarity said, inspecting the rather sad excuse for a gala dress, “You… Plan to wear this?”

Twilight dropped the dress on the table, next to Celestia, “Yup! It just needs a button sewn back on.”

Rarity bit her lip, “I’m afraid that this dress is beyond my ability to fix…”

Twilight was shocked, how could that possibly be?

Celestia laughed.

“So, I’ll just have to make you an entirely new one!” Rarity finished, winking.

“I get it,” Twilight laughed, “But you don’t have to do that. This dress will be fine.”

“No, dear.” Rarity said, “I insist! I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer!”

Twilight looked around the room, and saw all of the ponies anxiously waiting for her to agree.

“I… Guess?” Twilight finally said.

“Wonderful!” Rarity said, happy to be rid of that awful dress.

“Thank you, Rarity.” Twilight said, “Thanks incredibly generous.”

Looking around the room at all of her friends, she suddenly had an idea.

“Ideaaa!” Rarity sang, “I should make everypony a dress!”

“All of us?” Fluttershy asked, “But… Do you have the time to do all of that?”

“Of course!” Rarity said, loving this idea more and more.

“Sister…” Luna whispered, “I wish to have a dress.”

“Well, I suppose I could have something made for you.” Celestia answered.

“Wonderful!” Luna said, giddy at the thought.

“Remember, I won’t need one!” Dash said to Rarity, “I still have mine from Manehattan.”

“Of course you’ll need a new one!” Rarity exclaimed, “You can’t wear the same dress to two different events, if they’re in different seasons!”

“Is that really a rule?” Alex asked.

“Just go with it,” Dash whispered, “And, thanks a bunch!”

“Exactly!” Rarity said happily, “Now, everypony needs to come over tomorrow, and tell me what kind of design you’d like!”

“Okay!” Everypony, including Alex, said at once.

“Not you, dear,” Rarity said, looking to Alex, “You’d look dreadful in a dress.”

“I was only saying ‘Okay’ because everypony else did…”Alex pouted.

Dinner was served quickly after that… It was some kind of fancy salad that was all the rage in Canterlot, according to Rarity. But, to Alex, it still tasted like green. As generic as the term sounded, it fit. Green was the taste of every salad he had ever eaten. But, there was an odd taste he couldn’t quite put his hoof on. Something… Chewy and bland.

“How are you liking it, Alex?” Spike asked, “I worked hard!”

Seeing the pleading look in Spike’s eyes, Alex could almost feel the food start to taste better.

“It’s great!” Alex exaggerated, “You’ll have to make it for me again sometime!”

“I will!” Spike said happily.

“You eat far too many cupcakes,” Rarity said, “Some salad would do you some good.”

“I can eat anything as long as there’s no hay or anything like that,” Alex replied, “I don’t think I could ever bring myself to eat it.”

“I’ll keep that in mind…” Spike said, wide eyed, “For… next time…”

“There’s hay in here?!” Alex asked, shocked, before composing himself, “Dang… I knew I tasted something funny.”

The girls all started laughing.

“Well that’s enough for me!” Alex said, standing up.

“Yeah, I gonna head back myself.” Rainbow Dash said, “I’m pretty tired after the race.”

“Ah’m not tired!” Applejack boasted, “Unless, yer tired because you were doin’ somethin’ else AFTER the race!”

Dash rolled her eyes, “Very funny!”

Alex’s expression was blank, before suddenly lighting up, “Oh! I get it!”

“Sheesh…” Dash sighed, as everypony erupted in laughter, “Come on, Alex! See me out.”

Alex nodded, walking away from the laughing group, he followed behind Dash until they were outside the Library.

“You’re too stupid,” Dash giggled, hitting Alex lightly on the shoulder.

“I just took a second,” Alex confessed, “I’m still a bit shocked all you ponies are capable of being… inappropriate!”

“Well, of course we can be!” Dash laughed, “Is that so different in your world?”

“Well, no,” Alex said, “My world is filled with it! In fact, it’s way worse!”

“So… What’s the problem?” Dash asked.

“Well, you’re just… so cute!” Alex explained, causing Dash to blush.

“Oh, well… If you say so!” Dash said nervously.

Alex didn’t exactly mean it that way, but if that’s how she took it, he was going to just roll with it.

“You don’t sound convinced.” Alex said.

“Well, nopony’s really ever said that to me...” Dash admitted, “I mean, I know I’m not ugly… But am I really cute?”

“Colors, let me tell you right now,” Alex said confidently, “You’re cute. Dang cute, if I may say so.”

Dash stayed silent and absorbed the complement.

“Your colorful mane, your cracking voice, your eyes, when you’re a little unsure of yourself… Even your ‘I’m better than you’ attitude,” Alex listed, “It’s all just… Adorable.”

“Thank you.” Dash whispered, looking bashfully to the side.

Alex remained silent until she finally made eye contact with him, still looking a tiny bit unsure of herself.

“Like now!” Alex laughed, using a hoof to raise her chin up, “Even if you don’t fully buy it now, I’ll just keep saying it till’ it sinks in!”

And with that, Alex leaned in and kissed her.

Feeling a bit better about now, Dash simply let herself go, and melted into him.

The two could have continued for some time, however, they were quickly interrupted by a collective “Aww!” From the front door of the library.

Immediately breaking apart, they both blushed.

Everypony, save Rarity and Spike, were at the door, watching the scene before them unravel.

“Don’t mind us!” Pinkie said happily.

“Please don’t.” Luna agreed, smiling.

“How long have you guys been there?” Dash asked quickly, realizing all that Alex had said to her.

“For… A while.” Fluttershy said.

The girls started to snicker.

“This is so embarrassing…” Dash muttered, rubbing her hoof on her forehead.

“Why?” Alex asked her, “The first time we kissed, we LITERALLY had an audience.”

“It’s not that… It was all the ‘cute’ stuff.” Dash said to him quietly.

“Right…” Alex said, “Because they all have stallions calling them cute ALL the time, right?”

The snickering stopped.

“Well… Not exactly…” Twilight said, seeing his point.

“He’s right about that,” Celestia laughed, “Dash is doing better than all of you in that department!”

“Not better than I!” Luna said happily, “I overhear guards speaking of me quite often!”

“You… do?” Celestia asked, surprised.

“Indeed!” Luna beamed, “They always speak of my attractive dark coat, and my temperature being high!”

“High… temperature?” Dash asked.

“Do ya mean that they said that yer ‘hot’?” Applejack asked.

“Yes!” Luna agreed, “That was it!”

“Do they mention me…?” Celestia asked somewhat hopefully.

“Yes!” Luna said, “They mention your temperature too!”

“Well,” Celestia said, hiding a blush, “They really shouldn’t—“

“They say that you are ‘cold!’” Luna said happily, not knowing the meaning of the word in that context.

“Oh…” Celestia said, saddened slightly, “That’s… Not much of a surprise when I think about it…”

The silence in the group was heavy.

“Well… I’d better get going…” Dash said.

“As should we,” Celestia said, “I have something I need to take care of at the castle.”

“Alright, Princess,” Twilight said, “I’ll walk with you back to your carriage.”

“Thank you,” Celestia said, as she moved out of the group, “It was lovely seeing you all.”

“Yes! I greatly enjoyed myself!” Luna said happily, “I hope that we may rule the sky once more, Pinky!”

“Me too!” Pinkie beamed.

“Bye Princess’s” Applejack said.

“I hope to see you again soon!” Fluttershy said happily.

“Have a nice night.” Alex said politely.

Dash simply smiled and nodded to them.

And with that, Twilight headed off with them.

“I’d better be going too.” Dash said, turning to Alex.

“Sure,” Alex said, leaning in, and giving her another kiss, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Well, I might be busy with Rarity,” Dash explained, “But we’ll hang tomorrow night, okay?”

“Oh, I actually have plans with another girl.” Alex joked.

“You’d better not!” Dash laughed, softly hitting the side of his head.

“Okay, okay!” Alex said, feigning surrender, “You win, master.”

“That’s better!” Dash smiled, as she started heading away, “I’ll see you girls tomorrow!”

They all waved goodbye as she headed away from sight, into the darkness.

“And with that, I’m off to bed!” Alex said, realizing just how beat he was from all that had gone on today, “I’ll see you guys later, okay?”

“Sure will!” Pinkie said.

The rest of the girls each said something else, but Alex was already passing out. So, he headed into his room, and dropped himself on the bed, falling asleep only seconds after hitting the pillow.

////

Author's Note:

I was feeling a bit silly when i wrote this chapter, and that kinda bled through into the next chapter, which i'll probably post tomorrow morning.

If there are any errors and such, just toss me a PM.

PreviousChapters Next