• Published 24th Oct 2014
  • 1,454 Views, 29 Comments

Letters to a Princess - Sun Dial



Dear Princess Twilight Sparkle, I'm really new to this whole friendship thing, and I could use your help? Your Faithful Student, Sunset Shimmer

  • ...
3
 29
 1,454

A Past Best Forgotten

Several Years Past

Sunset walked through the school that she already owned. The people here were even easier to manipulate than the ponies of Equestria. It had been pathetically easy to gain some political sway.

On top of school, Sunset managed to get her hands on her first piece of technology this world had to offer, her own personal laptop. While not the latest and the greatest, at least according to Diamond Tiara, this device would not only allow her to explore this world’s magic, but was the first item that Sunset had ever bought herself. She gave a little squee at her accomplishment. It felt good to finally do something on her own, no pony ordering her around or insisting that they help. It even had her cutie mark engraved on the back. It was her own personal piece of Elysium.

Placing her precious laptop in her locker, she reached to grab her history book. Panic erupted in her brain when a piece of her past began to glow and vibrate. Sunset mentally fell apart her mind running a marathon of emotions and fear as she tore through the contents of her locker to get to the vibrating book. She snapped the book open, then slammed it shut.

Sunset’s heart beat within in her chest, every thump pulsing through her ears, a whinny from a life past. Her mind reeled with all the implications. Was she coming after her? Was she going to be punished. Should Sunset have figured out a way of town and gotten as far from the portal as possible?

In truth though, it didn’t matter. Holding the book close to her chest Shimmer collapsed on the floor. No amount of distance could hide her from Celestia. An entire universe away and she couldn’t let go, didn’t want to let go, “of all that useless garbage just dragging me down! I’m better than her! I don’t need her! I don't want her! I can do this! I'll show her! I'm better then her! I never needed her!" Sunset began to sob, each statement more desperate to be true then the last.

She wasn’t sure how long she sat there on her knees cradling the book. She was vaguely aware of the bell ringing, the wide berth students gave her, and the yellow body that gathered up her belongings into a pile.

A hand laid gently on her shoulder. Shimmer turned her head, eyes red, tears streaked down her cheeks into the face of a compassionate Luna. “It’s okay Shimmer. It’ll all be okay.” Luna said, stroking her hair and holding her close.

My Dearest Sunset,

I don’t know if you’ll read this, but I can only hope for your health. I know I should have wrote sooner, but I didn’t want to worry you. I know a simple letter is not exactly what most would call a birthday present, so I’m sending you the numbers to several bank accounts I own over in that world. I pray that they’ll be enough for you.

Shimmer, I just want you to know that you were right. Failing you was one of the greatest mistakes of my life, I hope you can forgive me. I should have seen how I was pushing you, isolating you. I should have helped you to understand the most important things. Friends, family and caring for others. Thinking about others is my nature and I often forget that not everyone has learned to care as deeply for their fellow creature as much as I have. There are many things I had yet to teach you, that I should have taught you. I failed to properly guide you, to nurture you. Now you can succeed where I failed. You have a great opportunity now Sunset. Learn the lessons I never taught you, the one's I failed to teach you. You have this opportunity to become greater than anything you could have been while at my side...

Live, learn. Be everything I saw in you Shimmer. I do miss your inquisitive mind always by my side, that desire to learn, to grow, to appreciate. I know you don't like me bringing it up, but I always did enjoy calling you my little Sunset. I sometimes stare at the sun after it has set and remember all the times when you were little when I'd hold you up and say what a beautiful sunset it was and then I’d lower you, giggling the whole time, with the sun [illegible] and [illegible] the moon . Its been hard without you Sunset. I miss you, my student. I wish things could have been different. I love you Shimmer.

I know that you must hate me for what I’ve done for you, but would you accept an old stupid mare’s blessing. One of health and wisdom, of courage and power, of friendship and love. Let all that I’ve taught you guide you, and let your heart lead you.

Happy Birthday my Faithful Student,

Celestia

P.S. 1004814279

Author's Note:

Short little things about Sunset Shimmer. Most of the letters will be Sunset experiencing events similar to Twilight own Friendship lessons. Some will be Twilights advice, while the occasional rare one will be one of these ones Celestia wrote to Shimmer.