• Published 21st Oct 2014
  • 664 Views, 11 Comments

Rarity Hates Strawberries - Awesomedude17



Pinkie Pie creates the perfect treat, but Rarity does not like strawberries.

  • ...
0
 11
 664

Berries

Thunder stormed in the night, rain fell onto the roof of the gingerbread house as a certain pink earth pony was mixing together a concoction of unimaginable proportions.

"Raspberry concentrate."

The yellow stallion grabbed a jar of raspberry concentrate, which Pinkie slowly poured into the bowl.

"Blackberry concentrate."

"Pinkie, are you sure we should do it like this?" Mrs. Cup Cake asked, confused about why she was so focused in this way.

"Yes, because it's raining and pouring and there's thunder, this is the perfect time to do it this way. Blackberry concentrate!"

Mr. Carrot Cake sighed, and grabbed the juice in question, and handed it to Pinkie.

"Concentrate, not juice!" Pinkie yelled out, annoyed.

The two sighed. They knew she would take this too seriously. They grabbed the concentrate and handed it to Pinkie, who poured it a little quicker.

"Chopped strawberries."

They grabbed the strawberries and handed it over to Pinkie, who mixed it on with the batter.

"Perfect."

Pinkie mixed the batter and then the concentrate mixture, adding cream to the latter. She had to do this just right...

She poured the batter onto the tray, filling each hole carefully. She then put the pan into the oven and finished up the mixture, which had become frosting. Once the oven dinged, thunder clapped, and Pinkie pulled the ready made creation out. She carefully pulled each one out, and then put the frosting on top.

"Just perfect." Pinkie said to herself, smiling manically.

She knew that all of her friends would love this, unless one of them hated one of the ingredients, but that was doubtful.

Not one of her friends hated berries at all!


Rarity trotted over to Sugarcube Corner, apparently because Pinkie had a tasty treat that she and the others had to try.

Rarity, being the generous mare that she was, agreed, but on the condition that she'd not eat an obscene amount like Pinkie would, she had a figure to maintain.

As soon as she took one step in, Pinkie noticed.

"Rarity! Good to see you! How'reyoudoingtoday? IsOpalalright? Ooo!Whatabbout..."

Rarity put her hoof to Pinkie's mouth, and said. "Pinkie, calm down. I'm alright. Opal is fine. Now, what this about these special 'treats' our friends keep talking so highly about?"

"Ah, here it is." Pinkie held out a ridiculously pink cupcake, topped with purple frosting, and a cherry on top.

"I call it a 'Berry Surprising' cupcake. Try a bite Rarity, it's scrumplishous!!!" Pinkie grinned really widely.

"Oh, well, thank you Pinkie... say, this doesn't have strawberries in it, does it?"

"Why?" Pinkie raised an eyebrow, confused at the question.

"Well, it's nothing personal, but I actually don't like strawberries..."

"WHAT!!!" Pinkie blurted out.

Pinkie's outburst was unexpected by Rarity, but she went on to explain.

"It's not that I don't... it's just that... I mean..."

"It's just what!?" Pinkie yelled out, wide-eyed.

"Well, strawberries are too tart for my... palette, Pinkie. Besides, it's not like this cupcake cannot be yummy any other way, right?" Rarity took a dainty bite out of the cupcake, and soon was met with a barrage of strawberry pieces. She chewed slowly, trying to ignore the awful taste she was getting, and then took a hesitant swallow, and grinned nervously.

"How is it?" Pinkie asked with a tilted head.

"... To be honest... I don't like it."

Pinkie screamed out in frustration, and banged her head on the counter. Rarity looked worryingly at her friend, but before she could ask what's wrong...

"Well, that idea's out the window." Pinkie said, dejectedly.

"Why is that Pinkie?"

"Because of your stupid strawberry hating, I now have to scrap the idea."

Rarity took a step back, then stepped forward. "Now wait just a minute Pinkie, why does the opinion of one pony mean that you have to give up an actually great idea?"

"Because I promised myself that I'd use the cupcake idea if all my friends thought it was yummy, and you don't think it's yummy, so I have to get rid of it."

"Pinkie, one pony may not like the idea, but that doesn't mean all ponies hate it." Rarity knew, she had been there before.

"It doesn't?"

"No." Rarity paused briefly, before she though of the closest example she had. "Take, for example, my work. Yes, I got some ponies who think they could do better, without my so-called 'tacky' gems, but that does not change the fact that the vast majority like my dresses." Rarity explained. "Even Rainbow does not care much for my dresses, but that does not change my passion, nor my opinion of her."

Pinkie though hard about Rarity's words, right before beaming with happiness, and hugging Rarity.

"Oh, Rarity, you're right. The 'Berry Surprising' cupcake will be sold with no trouble at all!" Pinkie took the cupcake and chomped it, chewing, and savoring the flavor, right before swallowing.

"If I did have some constructive criticism though..." Rarity began, making Pinkie worry... "Is that the blackberry and raspberry mixture is a little off, maybe add some blueberries into it for an extra kick."

"OHH, good idea Rarity! I'm glad we're friends!"

"Me too Pinkie, me too."

And so the two left, going off on their separate ways.

The 'Berry Surprising' cupcakes were a major hit at Sugarcube Corner, even getting the praise of Princess Luna herself, and Rarity could only smile. While she could not enjoy those cupcakes, she knew others would as well.

Author's Note:

First try on a short slice-of-life story, and I though, 'I'd make a story where my favorite pony hates something I like, just to show that I'm not two-dimensional.' I think I did an okay job.

Also, what is one-shotober?

Comments ( 10 )

Wonderfully done!

I love the fact that Rarity, despite not caring for strawberries, tries them for Pinkie Pie's sake and provides constructive feedback. Friends being able to understand they may have differences in "taste" is an important Celestia-type lesson to learn. :twilightsheepish:

5169691 I agree, I figured that I'd do this because I felt like doing something different, and this was the most I could get.

Glad you liked it.

A few errors, like missing commas and some homonym mix-ups, but otherwise very nicely done. :pinkiecrazy:
Oops, wrong Pinkie. :pinkiehappy:
I believe one-shotober is basically when everyone does crappy one-shots because it's October.

5169706 Oh right, RainbowBob says he hates those.

Very nice. I would live for this to be a episode

5169780 This is an episode like plot, but know Hasbro, they'd have Pinkie Pie try to force Rarity to like strawberries.

Rarity , I feel for you so much. If you think there isn't a bother strawberry unloved out there, well there's one right here.

"Pinkie, Please understand It's not that I don't like strawberries, It's just strawberries don't like me" The Hay puff mare said.:raritywink:
Pinkie spun her head around and her eyes gave her a puzzled look " Oh you can try just one, PLEASE ,please please please, pleeeeeese!":pinkiehappy:
So giving in Rarity ate just one little bitty tiny squishie bite. Her eyes grew, her belly grew, everything puffed out and grew, Her form grew
to the size of the Good Mare Blimp...:raritystarry: Spikey took hold of her tail and pulled her along to the Doctors "Here we go again":moustache:

A strawberry can be such a nasty thing.:facehoof:

Login or register to comment