• Published 18th Oct 2014
  • 412 Views, 0 Comments

My Time in Equestria - The Stainmore Phoenix



I record my time in Equestria, which isn't always filled with sunshine and smiles, but it's got plenty of laughs

  • ...
 0
 412

Chaos, meet your match

I had my guitar on my shoulder when I felt a soft breeze at my back. Turning my head, I noticed Rainbow Dash hovering in my doorway with Breezeblaze standing there. Both glared at me and after I brought them in, I shut the door.

“What’s this about not needing friends?” Breezeblaze huffed.

“I just don’t need friends,” I said. “Your friends are treating me like my old friends, who always treated me like garbage for any delay.”

Rainbow Dash was shaking her head and groaning. Breezeblaze glanced at her mother, with a look that told me she felt slightly hurt. I was starting to feel regret for saying something to upset the little Pegasus.

“Look, I’m not trying to…What I mean is…Let me…” I stammered about before giving up. “I have now lost two who I thought were friends. Oh life, you flatter me so.”

Rainbow Dash chortled, but shook her head. Breezeblaze smiled as well.

“You can count on us,” she said.

“Thank you,” I said.

After the mess was sorted out, Rainbow Dash went to sort out the confusion and at least attempt to smooth ruffled feelings. I glanced down at her daughter, who was looking at my bags. After twenty minutes, she looked at me and suggested that I unpack and make myself comfortable.

“I’d rather not,” I said. “First contention-I don’t know if I’m staying in the castle with you ponies. Second contention-they might not forgive me for snapping out and showing my anger towards being called a ruffian and being treated like one. Third contention-me walking out. Where I come from, that’s a sign that any friendship is over, with no “If’s” “And’s” or “But’s”.”

“Oh,” she said, feeling dejected. I smiled and looked her in the eye.

“It’s not your problem,” I said. “You don’t need to feel sorry for me.”

Breezeblaze stared. Why was I telling her to not feel sorry for me? Before I could answer, there came a knock at the door. I opened it to see the same timid yellow pony. Upon closer inspection, she was a Pegasus, like Rainbow Dash and Breezeblaze. I gave her a quick, but gentle inspection to see if I noticed anything else. Breezeblaze was confused as to why I was nodding and muttering to myself.

“It’s a habit I have to noticing minor details,” I said. “I mutter to myself to make sure I’m not missing anything. After all, my right eye is damaged. I used to spend nights reading in the dark, with no light.”

“Oh,” the timid Pegasus said, poking her eyes out from under her mane. “I had no idea.”

I gave a chuckle and explained that it was alright. It helped me out when I star gazed, as it was able to pick out shapes much quicker than my left eye. That got the three of us talking about how the night was peaceful and that everywhere we had been had untold splendor in the day that was enhanced by the night.

“There’s just something magical about seeing everything during the night,” I said.

“You can say that,” Breezeblaze agreed. “I’ve helped my father, an Alicorn by the name Dangersignal with night mail trains and other night trains. I have a brother named Flash Freeze, who’s a unicorn, and sister, who is also a unicorn, named, Firestrike.”

I chuckled, and then decided to show off my detective skills to impress and scare the two pegasi in the room.

“I take it that Firestrike’s special talent is fire spells,” I said.

“How’d you know?” they asked.

“Her name,” I said. “Fire, it isn’t exactly subtle. Flash Freeze’s talents must be ice spells, hence the “Freeze” in his name and that ice is the counter, in lack of laymen’s terms is a counter to fire, as ice is nothing more than frozen water and when the fire turns the ice to water, the water puts out the fire.”

“Your smart,” the timid Pegasus said.

“I take it that you’re Fluttershy?” I asked.

“How’d you…” she began.

“Rainbow Dash told me about a timid Pegasus, and I put 2 and 2 together,” I said, chuckling.

“Oh,” came the reply. “Applejack was right, you do have a mighty find mind.”

I smiled and agreed to that statement. As we talked around, there came the sounds of hoof steps. We stopped when there came a knock on the door. After some shuffling around, which made the two step look like it could actually be done in two steps, I answered the door.

Rarity was standing there, an apologetic look on her face. I let her in and after the other two left, I sat her on the bed, then I stood some distance off, where our eyes could be considered level.

“Whatever you want or need to say, say it,” I said, no point or bluntness in my voice.

“I wanted to apologize for my behavior darling,” she said,

“Consider this your apology and consider it accepted,” I said. “I, too was in the wrong. After all my plans had gone wrong, I was feeling rather sore with myself and I took it out on you.”

Rarity nodded, slightly taken aback by my confession. After she left, both confused and grateful, I sighed and sank down, with my back against the wall. I was glad to start mending bridges, which was a talent I hadn’t used for years.

‘This ought to be my first steps in making friends,’ I thought.

Had I been a little more observant as to where I sat, I would have noticed that I was in the path of the door. I didn’t and as I started up, the door swung inwards and nailed me in the stomach.

With a groan, I fell backwards and clutched my stomach. Looking up, I noticed the same purple Alicorn who had given me the dirty look. Now she looked like she would want to apologize.

“Don’t,” I gasped between pained groans. “I wasn’t paying attention.”

Even though it hurt and I felt like I’d empty my stomach, I managed to stand up and stagger to the bed, which acted as a resting place.

“Consider your apology for earlier accepted,” I gasped again. “I’ll be fine in an hour or two.”

“If your sure,” she said, apprehensive.

“Yes, I’m sure,” I said, the pained gasping slowly dying down. “Just tell whoever is left to apologize and to meet me to wait three hours, allowing for the one to two hours of recuperating and giving me one more hour to make sure it’s all good.”

“Before I go, I should tell you my name, I’m…” she began

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” I said. “Your face has been everywhere.”

“How do you mean?” she quizzed, now getting defensive. “My face is attached to my body unless someone used evil magic.”

“You’ve had your picture taken, right?” I asked.

“Yeah,” she said.

“That’s what I meant,” I said. “Your photographs are everywhere-on station bulletin boards, flags, anywhere where you could be seen.”

“Oh,” she said, blushing.

“It’s okay,” I assured her. “Get going, your friends are starting to worry and wonder if maybe I kept you longer to give you more trouble.”

Princess Twilight Sparkle chuckled and departed. I shut the door and this time I sat on the floor, then laid down to help ease and even stop the pain. It worked and in an hour and a half, I was back up. It still hurt and in another hour and a half, the pain had subsided even more.

There came a knock a few minutes later. I scrambled the stiff as a boot camp attendee position and said come in. This time the cotton candied mane and tail pony arrived and began bouncing around. I had to tell her three times to calm down, which irritated me.

“Sorry,” she said, her mane and tail deflating.

“Look,” I said. “I don’t want you to lose what makes you, well you, but it’s easier to talk and make friends with someone who isn’t bouncing around like a hyperactive child on a sugar rush.”

That got her to smile and her mane inflated again. She introduced herself as Pinkamina Diane Pie, or Pinkie Pie. I had to chuckle. “Pinkie Pie” was a name one of my old enemies had. Once I had regained composure, I ushered her out with the understanding that I was expecting some more guests to come in.

Pinkie Pie bounced away. I sank down and waited for more guests to come by, which was going to be interesting. An hour went by before a knock sounded out. I called out the usual invitation of come in.

The door opened and a Dark red Alicorn entered. The features of this Alicorn stated he was a male, but he was the same height as Princess Celestia. He had dark red eyes, no mane and a fiery orange tail. On his flank was a bright red railway signal, set at Danger. He was smiling broadly. I was rather surprised, considering I knew who he was from talk I heard around.

“Ah, so you’re the guest that missed the last boat train connection?” he asked. “Sorry about that. The timetable for the boat has the last train run out from Baltimare Harbor station at 9.25 pm and there is no “extra” trains scheduled. We tried to make it up to you by scheduling a charter train.”

“Ah, that’s okay,” I said. “Anyway, can I get your name?”

“Dangersignal,” he said. “Proud father of three, former Elite Guard to Princess Luna and Princess Celestia, Controller of the Equestrian Railway, part time weather aide and married to Rainbow Dash.”

“That is quite the resume,” I said. “You must be very proud indeed.”

He smiled. “Tell me about yourself,” he said.

I did so, leaving out facts that I’d rather not remember. He seemed satisfied, but something puzzled him.

“Why is it that you like stargazing?” he quizzed. “Twilight, I can understand. It helps her calm down.”

“It helps me realize that I have many unexplored hallways and doorways in the mansion I call my life,” I said.

He chuckled and said that I would have five more visitors. I agreed that I’d await their arrival.

“Don’t hold your breath too much. I’ll have them sent to you as they arrive,” he said and left.

I sat back and knew that I’d have time to spend, like cash in the pocket, so I decided to play my guitar. I knew that music steadied the old nerves and my guitar lessons when I wasn’t working had paid off.

I began playing “Rolling Out Again” by the Norfolk Southern Lawmen. It was a song that I had been given to play by my old guitar instructor. The tune helped and as I struck the last chord, there came a knock.

“Come in!” I called.

The door opened, revealing a light turquoise Pegasus, with a brilliant amber and gold stripped mane and tail. Her eyes were a brilliant gamboge color. On her flank was a lightning bolt and three stars.

I was watching her as I packed the guitar away. Her eyes were wide with surprise and wonderment. I grinned and after standing up straight, I asked her to give me her name. she shook herself back to the real world and smiled.

“Lightning Dust,” she said. “And I’m a proud mother of three, hopeful to get back in the Wonderbolts and railway courier.”

I was slightly confused. Sure, I had watched the show based on these characters and I knew that she had been sent packing in disgrace, much like Diesel had been sent packing in 1958 by the Fat Controller after he spread malicious lies about Duck, but she puzzled me unlike Diesel. Why was she sorry? Normally, cocky or arrogant types claim they’ve learned their lesson, but not really.

Then again, why should I paint her with the colors that the show used? It’s just like painting Henry the Green Engine (whom I’ve worked with and must tell about sometime) with the brush that the television show used. I thanked her for introducing herself to me.

“I’ll send up the last four, my husband and my three kids,” she said.

I thanked her and after she left, I went back to playing my guitar. This time, I was practicing Michael Jackson’s “Beat It”. However, before I could finish, there came a gentle knocking noise. I stopped and as I put away the guitar, I said come in.

The door opened to reveal a Pegasus filly, with the male build. Forest green eyes, coat, mane and tail. No cutie mark on his flanks. He wore a smile that could give any egotistic pony a run for their money. He looked me up and down before introducing himself as Pinestreak.

‘Cocky much?’ I thought.

He explained at how he could outfly Rainbow Dash, Breezeblaze and his own mother in a race. I was starting to wonder if his cockiness was something that would need to be pegged down. I gave him my name and explained at how I was on holiday and enjoying the countryside.

After he and I exchanged comical banter, he said that his brother would be sent in. Formulas at their finest and to keep the formula going, I said I’d wait.

Now it was rinse and repeat. Pull out guitar and play song, only to be interrupted. The song this time was Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”. Not my favorite song, as my schools played this song every single day in October. As I was about to practice, a knock sounded and a pony arrived.

A Pegasus filly came in. Male structure like Pinestreak. He had a dark storm cloud gray mane and tail with a light storm cloud gray coat and no cutie mark on his flank. He had storm cloud gray eyes that were two shades lighter than his coat. He seemed slightly nervous looking up at me, but I showed him I wasn’t going to harm him. Soon, we were chatting away and I had got his name-Stormcloud. Rinse and repeat formula for greetings.

This time, I practiced seven songs before the door was knocked on. I called out come in after I placed my guitar back in it’s case. A coal black filly with coal black mane mane and tail entered. Her eyes were the same coal black color that her mane and tail were, but lighter by one shade. She had the air of being outgoing and very fun loving.

Repeat the conversations that I’ve had with a boat load of other ponies, with her name coming out-Coalstreak. I let her out and sat back down, this time thinking that things were going to be rather interesting.