• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 4,050 Views, 22 Comments

Corruption of Dawn - LordLycaon



Spike never went down the stairway to save Twilight from Sombra's door. This is what happened after.

  • ...
11
 22
 4,050

The Right Choice

Celestia paced anxiously through her throne room, Luna watching her with concern in her dark blue eyes. The white alicorn had been getting more and more stressed as time passed. She really wished she could see what was happening at the Empire, to see how her beloved student was handling everything there. Was she safe? Would be able to stop Sombra? Had she really made the right choice by sending Twilight in to face the villainous unicorn? She wasn't quite as sure as she was before.

Worried, Luna approached her sister and said, "Why are you so distraught, sister? Did you not say that you believe that Twilight Sparkle is ready for this?"

"I did," Celestia said with a heavy sigh. "I just can't shake the feeling that something terrible has happened."

"Perhaps it is simply your imagination?" Luna suggested. "You must stop worrying so much and instead focus on the fact that Twilight Sparkle is your student. She has yet to truly disappoint you. Is that not true?"

Celestia sighed again. "It is true. She's never been one to let anypony down."

Just then, the doors swung open, and the Mane 6 (minus one), Spike, Shining Armor, and Princess Cadance all trotted in, all of them looking as though they just gone through Tartarus and barely made it out. Celestia smiled at all of them and said, "Welcome back, ponies. How did things go in the Empire?"

The group all looked at each other, all of them apparently reluctant to speak. Finally, Applejack said, "Your Majesty, we've got a huge problem on our hooves."

The sun princess gave a confused glance and asked, "What would that be?" It was only then that she noticed that a certain somepony was missing. "Where is Twilight?"

Nervous glances were shared once again before an apparently very ticked off Rainbow Dash said, "She's the problem."

Celestia stared at the group before her with confusion, but she soon realized what they meant. She now feared the worst, and prayed that it wasn't true. "Explain."

-o-

The Crystal Empire had completed its transformation back into a bleak, dark, jagged, and overall frightening wasteland of a city, the inhabitants all trapped in heavy iron chains as they trotted miserably through the dark city. King Sombra grinned at the sight. His empire was his once again, and not only that, but he now had a loyal student with the potential to be his heir, come the unlikely event in which he is ever defeated by some lowly upstart. His life was taking a turn for the better.

"King Sombra," called the voice of Twilight Sparkle, who had just entered the throne room. The dark stallion turned and faced his new protégé. She had a group of eight Crystal Ponies all chained by her magic behind her. "I detected these stragglers trying to get past the barrier that we set up. I took care of it."

Sombra smiled and nodded appreciatively. "Excellent work, my student," he said as he trotted towards the cowering prisoners. He leaned closer to them, and they backed away as far as Twilight's dark magic would allow them, which wasn't much. Sombra's crooked grin betrayed his plan for them. His horn began to glow with dark power. "Let's see how they act after a few days of living through their worst nightmares." With a dark flash, the Crystal Ponies were gone, likely sent to the door that showed one their greatest fears, Twilight assumed. She shuddered silently at the memory.

Sombra took notice of Twilight's reaction and said, "Worry not, my pupil. Soon, they will all come to appreciate our power and our position. They will soon learn to follow us unquestioningly."

"That's not what really worries me," the purple unicorn replied, looking away as if in shame. "I've been wondering… did I really make the right choice in joining you?"

Sombra raised an eyebrow at this and said, "When the only other option was the pain of loneliness, what else could you have done? The flow of time only ever diverges into two roads. No more, no less. Beyond those two options, the future is unchangeable."

Twilight nodded to her master's words. He had a way of making the incomprehensible make sense. She truly admired that about him. "I'll go and keep an eye on the prisoners outside for now," she said as she made to leave the room.

"Wait," Sombra called her. She faced him, and he said, "I'm planning on spreading the Empire's influence throughout all of Equestria, and I'll need your help to do it."

Twilight nodded. "What is it that you need me to do?"

"I understand that your 'brother' is the captain of Celestia's Royal Guard," the dark king answered. "Would he have shared any information on Canterlot's defenses with you?"

"You're planning to invade Canterlot?" Twilight inquired. Sombra nodded, not even attempting to hide his intentions. Reluctantly, Twilight nodded. "I'll write down all that I know for you, Your Majesty."

"Excellent."

Twilight then left the throne room and walked down the halls of the Crystal Palace, heading for the bedroom that Sombra had granted for her. It was a magnificent bedchamber that had been beautifully decorated with only the finest of pretty much everything. Even the bed was softer than just about anything she had ever slept in before. She headed for her desk and took a sheet of paper and a quill and ink with her magic and began writing down all the information that Shining Armor had ever shared with her regarding Canterlot's defensive perimeter. It didn't hurt that she knew the exact layout of Canterlot by heart and memory alone. Her mentor would be proud.

And at that word – mentor – she found her thoughts falling upon Celestia. She stopped writing as she thought about the looks on her friends' faces as she destroyed the balcony, the only thing that held them aloft, before they vanished by way of Rarity's own magic. Had she really made the correct choice? Was this the only other path open to her? She shook her head. She knew she could only trust King Sombra anymore. He was the only one who was certain not to betray her anymore. He was her leader and teacher now. Celestia was far weaker by comparison. She was inferior to the black-coated unicorn's very presence. Twilight continued writing what she knew, shrugging off any further doubts that she had.

When she finally finished, she instinctively rolled the paper up and said, "Spike, send this to…" She stopped when she realized that the baby dragon was no longer with her. She looked around the room, suddenly feeling lost within her new home. She shook her head. "Who needs that useless lizard anyway?" She concentrated her magic and teleported the rolled paper to Sombra's throne room. She then headed to her large, amazingly comfortable bed and laid herself out of the covered mattress.

The ceiling was just as darkly colored as the rest of the Crystal Empire now was, yet despite the darkness of the crystals, she could still see her reflection almost perfectly. Her now curved, reddened horn and green-and-red eyes with the ominous purple haze made her feel as though she was looking at somepony completely different from who she once was. It was scary to see herself like that, but if it meant that nopony could hurt her, she was more than willing to give up a little bit of her original appearance. Regardless, she looked away from the bleak image of herself, now lying on her side. She closed her eyes, hoping she would be able to get a decent night's sleep. And if not, then maybe King Sombra could teach her a spell that would help her with that.

That last thought was proven unnecessary, however, when she quickly drifted off into slumber. She didn't dream.

-o-

The dark king read and reread Twilight's notes regarding Canterlot's defensive measures. She was apparently quite thorough, as she didn't appear to leave a single detail untouched. He rolled up the paper and grinned as he looked out at his Empire, and more specifically, at his cowering, imprisoned subjects. His fanged smile grew as he formulated a strategy. But before he could put his plan into motion, he would need a proper army. And whether they wanted to or not, the Crystal Ponies were going to help in that endeavor.

'It is too soon,' a voice boomed suddenly, catching him unawares. It a took a few moments for him to recognize the powerful tone of the voice.

"Is it not better to have her on our side before she meets her destiny?" Sombra replied, actively trying to keep any defiance in his voice to a minimum.

'She is weak-willed and unsure,' the voice answered. 'She is not ready. You will learn this soon enough, Sombra.'

"Trust me, my liege," said the king confidently. "Everything will go exactly as you have foretold. Just a little sooner than expected."