• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 383 Views, 1 Comments

The First Visitor from Ponyville from the point of view of Molomona - A_Mormon Brony



One of Derpy Hooves' defining characteristics is her clumsiness. But, is that trait such a weakness after all? The lost pony civilization she stumbles on doesn't seem to think so.

  • ...
7
 1
 383

Main Story

It'd been a year since my father had ordered me to make a separate record, writing a short description of the highlights of events that'd occurred in Moor of the Moon. I'd just completed the record, and was dismissed to do what I wanted.

I often get requests from my father, and I rarely know at first why I should do such things. None of them are evil or inappropriate, they're just initially mysterious. But, it's been my experience that it's best to do what he tells me to do. Thus it was with this abbreviated record. But, I digress.

My favorite activity when I'm not recording things is to go on a walk out of town, and to the nearby body of water. There wasn't a trail before I wore away the vegetation walking to and from the water. And, there's something fascinating about that lake, or whatever it is; so fascinating that I started building a bridge across it. I got it started, but I've never been able to build more than maybe twenty hoof-steps away from land.

At any rate, on this particular afternoon, as I made a detour to relieve myself (yes, we have plumbing; but, for some strange reason, I felt this sudden need to urinate when I was just too far outside of town to turn back), I happened to see the head of a strange pony further ahead along the path. From what I could see, its coloring was, I'd say, a pale lavender color, with a bright yellow mane. I could only see the pony's head from where I was, but I could see that pony was terrified, perhaps lost.

When I finished urinating, I returned to the path, but decided it'd be best to approach this new pony slowly, not wanting to scare whoever it was any more.

As I approached, I realized that the pony I was approaching was a female, based on her voice. She was screaming three words, which I could only guess were names, perhaps of other ponies? The words were “spike,” “gummy,” and “angel.” I had to wonder if these were peers of hers, but I wouldn't be able to know for sure from as far away as I was.

If there's one thing I wasn't expecting, it was for the pale-lavender pony to sprout wings when I was just a short distance away, in full view of her. Evidently I was looking at a pegasa; and when I got a look at her eyes, I noticed that one pointed up, while the other pointed down. But, the flaring of wings was just the beginning, as she started growling at me.

I took a step back and said that she needed to calm down, and I tried to assure her that I wouldn't hurt her.

In response, still growling, she asked about the location of somepony named Derpy.

Puzzled, I asked, “Derpy Who?”

The pale-lavender pegasa stumbled and fell backwards and, suddenly whimpering, she lifted a hoof to point to herself and asked something about me knowing her.

It was then that I realized that Derpy must be her name. I couldn't keep the realization out of my voice as I said, “Oh, you're Derpy.”

I guess it was either the tone of my voice, or what I said; but I noticed that Derpy's posture changed as she stood up again. Now her wings and ears drooped as she looked toward the ground, and she started to sob quietly.

It was not my intention to hurt her feelings, and I tried to tell her that. As she looked up at me again, I added, “My name is Molomona.”

Derpy identified herself as Derpy Hooves, and mentioned a place called Ponyville.

I repeated the name “Ponyville” to myself, remembering it as a place my father had often talked about. Derpy Hooves was the first pony I'd ever met that didn't come from Moor of the Moon, and now I was beginning to realize that she was stating she was from this “Ponyville” place. I turned around and, looking back at Derpy Hooves, invited her to follow me.

She didn't follow immediately, but, planting her front hooves, growled out her first question.

It took her asking the question again before I realized that she was asking where she was.

I answered, “You're on the path between the water and a town we call Moor of the Moon.” Again I invited her to follow me, but as I was walking ahead, I heard a sudden rustling and a thud. When I looked behind me, I saw Derpy Hooves sitting down again, shaking her head as if to wake herself up. To this day I can only guess that she had run into the tree in front of her.

As I approached her again, I asked her if she was alright.

As the pale-lavender pegasa stood up again, she slowly said that she was fine.

At that point, I was feeling responsible for what'd happened, so I decided to walk next to her as we headed back to Moor of the Moon.

As we walked back to town, Derpy Hooves asked something about a “cutie mark” I was supposed to have. When I grunted in curiosity, Derpy Hooves pointed with her closest wing to me at my closest hip to her, and I realized she was referring to the symbol there. I wondered to myself about such a name for a symbol in such a location, but I answered, “That's a mystery to all of us in Moor of the Moon, although I seem to have more of an understanding about it than anypony else.” After a brief pause, I continued, “Most see it as a box. On the visible sides, the top is a dark blue color, while the other sides are white. And, on the dark-blue side is a strange symbol that isn't present in any alphabet anypony in town is aware of. I get the feeling that it's not a box, but a book, perhaps a record of some kind. I know it seems to be a symbol of my gift for recording events. I also have a feeling that my name has something to do with that, that it's connected to another creature, perhaps another gifted record keeper.”

By the time I was finished talking about my “cutie mark,” we'd arrived at the entrance to Moor of the Moon.

As we walked past the entrance I'd unofficially made into town, Derpy Hooves started talking about her own “cutie mark.” From what I gathered, she had seven bubbles on her hip. I paused just long enough to notice the seven circles, which did look like transparent, shiny spheres. As I caught up to her again I heard her say something about them symbolizing luck and fragility.

I think she was about to say more, but other ponies around were stopping what they were doing and turning to look at her, evidently whispering as we passed.

I turned to look at Derpy Hooves, and I sensed that she was getting nervous again.

The more she spoke, the more I understood. She asked me why everypony was staring at her and whispering.

I answered that we'd never gotten pony visitors before. Looking ahead, I added, “My home is just ahead. We'll be there soon enough. You can stay with me, my father, and my younger brother for as long as you want.”

I must admit I felt a little hurt when our first visitor from Ponyville whimpered about wanting to go back home, but I understood. As much as I welcomed leading Moor of the Moon's first visitor, and from Ponyville no less, I appreciated that, even if it might not have been for very long, she had been lost out in the woods. And, as much as I would've liked for her to stay, it would probably be best for her to return to Ponyville so her relatives would know she was fine.

When we got to my home, I moved ahead to open the door for our first out-of-town guest. As we entered, I saw my father at the stove, and my younger brother in the living room area watching television. I announced, “I've brought a visitor from Ponyville.”

I guess I only half expected my father's startled response. While he'd been cooking something, my announcement had surprised him into pushing the pan he was using across and completely off the stove.

The sudden sound also alarmed Derpy Hooves, who stumbled into the nearby wall.

I looked between my father and Derpy Hooves, and saw that my father's surprised expression was further unnerving the poor pale-lavender pegasa.

Moving a little ahead to turn around, I added, “This is Derpy Hooves.”

It seems strange to me, even now remembering it, that it was the name that attracted my younger brother's attention. Unlike my father who was now getting a closer look at our guest, the limit of my younger brother's curiosity was to turn around in his place to have a look at her.

While Molonai just turned back to the television, my father was still intently looking at Derpy Hooves, who seemed to be as fearful now as she had been when I first found her on the pathway.

When my father realized that he was scaring her, he apologized and stated that he was just happy to see evidence that Ponyville really exists. I could see that my father wanted to ask questions about Ponyville, but, as much as he wanted to, he evidently decided not to do so.

Dinner was ready a short time later, and it was Molonai who asked questions for Derpy Hooves to answer, and I had to play the role of interpreter, since neither my father nor my younger brother seemed to understand what she was saying.

After dinner, Derpy Hooves asked for a place to sleep, and my father pointed her to the guest room. Our first guest was the first to retire, after which my father started calling other ponies to organize a meeting for the next day, around midday. Afterwards, the rest of us retired as well.

That next morning, we were awakened to the smell of some kind of fruit-flavored muffins.

My room was just across from the guest room, and so I was probably best able to hear Derpy Hooves' excited announcement about the muffins.

The entire time that I'd been with Derpy Hooves yesterday, she'd never mentioned anything about being interested in muffins, and she didn't have enough time to mention such an interest last night. I still think whoever made the decision to bake the muffins must've been inspired to do so.

When we gathered around the table, I think Molonai was the only one who seemed surprised to see an eager Derpy Hooves grabbing three muffins at a time. And, she clearly appreciated them, as she ate three as quickly as the rest of us each ate one. In about half an hour, the pile of muffins was gone, in large part due to our guest.

At midday, we arrived at the meetinghouse to find it filled with, I think, every pony in town.

The meetinghouse came to life with cheers as my father announced that they indeed had their first visitor, and this first visitor was Derpy Hooves from Ponyville. In a matter of seconds there was a growing motion to celebrate this event; but, my father declared that then was not the time to celebrate. He added that their visitor needed to return to her home as soon as possible. He stated his hope that Derpy Hooves would indeed be the first visitor, from Ponyville or from any other place that might exist other than this one, to visit Moor of the Moon; but that in the mean time it was more important to let their first visitor go for now, and not let it be known that they'd had a visitor.

I'm still not sure exactly what it was about what my father had said. My best guess is his choice of words. All I know is that Derpy Hooves seemed to have hurt feelings as she turned around and left.

I followed her out of the meetinghouse and, once outside, asked, “Are you alright?”

Derpy Hooves started sobbing, asking why my father had to be so mean.

I was about to answer that I didn't understand, but then I started thinking about what he had said. I remembered that his message
seemed to be that they had to eliminate all evidence that our visitor from Ponyville had been there.

Before I could answer, Derpy Hooves wailed about not being loved.

I couldn't allow our celebrated first visitor from Ponyville to say such things. I jumped in front of her, turned to her, and put a front hoof on each of Derpy's shoulders, then said, “That's not what Peniamine meant at all. We're all honored to have you here. Thanks to you we know that Ponyville exists.”

I can't exactly say how it happened, whether it was surprise or something else; all I know is for the first time since I first met her, both of her eyes were looking straight ahead, and at me no less. But, she was still sobbing.

When I asked how she got to the point where I found her, she told a story about following three pets of friends: a hatchling dragon named Spike, a toothless alligator named Gummy, and a white rabbit named Angel. She followed the three into a boat. The three creatures were able to get off the boat, but Derpy Hooves had gotten stuck in one small room, and triggered the machinery before she could free herself. It seems that by the time she was able to free herself from the room, she was already well on her way across the body of water. When the boat stopped, she left and wandered to the spot where I'd found her, following the path until the incomplete bridge and the boat were no longer visible behind her.

After hearing her story, I'd first intended to tell her about how her disability had taken her closer to Moor of the Moon than a more whole pony could've come. But then I felt it more important to say something else first. When I dropped down and backed away one step, I said, “We're each given a talent so that all can benefit. We're given weaknesses so we can turn them into strengths. And, it seems to me that that's already happened for you.”

Derpy had another surprise for me. At my last statement, she clearly said, “I'm a clumsy pegasus that can't walk at all. How's that a strength?”

As surprised as I was at hearing such clarity from her, I found my answer coming immediately: “It seems to me that a pony with better control wouldn't have made it as close to our town as you made it.” I then took the step towards her again and hugged her saying, “It's been an honor to have you here. As I said, it's because of you that we know that Ponyville exists. For that matter, you are our first evidence that Moor of the Moon is not the only pony civilization in existence.”

I felt Derpy Hooves hug me in return, and, being unable to think of anything more to say, I just shared the moment with her.

When we finally backed away from each other, I could see that Derpy was feeling a lot better. She didn't have to ask her next question; I could see in her expression that she was wondering what we should do next.

Before either of us could ask or respond, Molonai marched up to us and said, “Well, let's take you home now.”

Derpy and I smiled at each other, then turned to Molonai and nodded. After that, the three of us headed out of town the way Derpy and I came in.

Considering I was the one who made the pathway, it was only reasonable that I be the one who lead the way to the incomplete bridge where we noticed the boat still waiting for passengers.

We boarded the boat, but Derpy Hooves refused to enter the control room. I wasn't willing to leave our first visitor alone, so it was up to Molonai to take the controls.

Now, I remember the logs I put in place, the color and everything. This time, as I looked at some of the logs that composed my attempt at a bridge, I couldn't help notice a spot that was shinier and a different color than the rest of the logs. I can guess what happened. In her struggles to free herself, Derpy must've gotten motion sick, and could contain it long enough to get off the boat, and no longer. Well, that's my theory, any way. Since it'd happened yesterday, it was pointless to ask Derpy Hooves if she was alright. I'd clean up the mess when Molonai and I returned.

When we got to the other side of the body of water, I helped Derpy Hooves out of the boat and onto the dock.

There, waiting on the dock, was some kind of bag.

When Derpy Hooves and I were on the dock, I turned to see Molonai leaving the control room, when I heard Derpy gag nearby. As I turned to see her erupting on the dock just next to the bag, I had to wonder if this was part of her disability. At any rate, I waited until she was done before I asked if she was alright.

As she looked up at me, she didn't say anything, just smiled weakly.

Molonai grabbed the bag and placed it on Derpy's back, then produced a book and placed it in one of the pouches.

As I looked at the book, I recognized it as the abbreviated history I'd worked on for the past year. But, there was something else. I'm sure I saw an envelope, perhaps containing a letter, just inside the front cover.

Molonai, tapping the pouch where he'd placed the book, said, “Here's a delivery for the purple unicorn.”

As Molonai boarded the boat again, I stayed behind to give Derpy one last hug and say, “I just want to restate that it's been an honor having you visit our town. I hope to see you again.”

In a hoarse voice, Derpy Hooves thanked me.

After separating, I backed away and watched Derpy Hooves march on. I guess most ponies might've felt sad seeing the lavender pegasa walking away, but I didn't. Seeing her slowly disappearing from view, I found I could only feel happiness that I'd been able to lead a representative of Ponyville into our town. And, I was indeed filled with hope that I would meet her again.