• Published 11th Oct 2014
  • 2,142 Views, 312 Comments

Rhythm and Harmony: The Octascratch Prompt Collab - lyra_lover777



Various short stories by various authors between 100 and 1500 words obtaining to the love of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch.

  • ...
7
 312
 2,142

PreviousChapters Next
4 Orchestra by Cobalt Ravenscroft

Orchestra by Cobalt Ravenscroft

Nerves. That’s good, nerves show you’re excited. But why now? This is my first night as First Chair and I have nerves.

Calm yourself, Octavia, I tell myself, she said she’d watch you, just focus on her.

Just as I pull myself out of my reverie the curtain raises, the stage of 50 performers suddenly exposed to the waiting eyes of the Canterlot elite. Full house, I notice as the applause begins quietly, reserved as always.

I quickly scan the gathered ponies, looking for my one beacon of calm, when I spot her with the rest of her Ponyville friends just off to the left of the stage a few rows back. They don’t matter, even if they are making more noise than anypony else here. No, all that matters is that my little ruffian came along to watch me. And she wore a suit, I giggled inside, I’ll enjoy taking that off later. She left her glasses at home, but her electric blue hair was enough for me to find her amongst the uniform blacks and greys of the orchestra’s usual audience.

Silence fell, and the conductor raised his baton in his magic, tapping it against his stand twice before the first note was played signalled to play. My first note. It was long, drawn out and sombre, the start of a true classic from Buck, centuries old but still able to draw a tear to my eye every time.

I played for a few minutes by myself, other sections slowly adding to the piece until everypony on stage was playing to the same slow tempo. It may not have been Vinyl’s cup of tea, or even her energy drink, but she was still swaying in her seat, lost to the timeless classic, maybe I could even take her to another orchestra, one I don’t have to perform in.

Back on track, muscle memory helping me to keep my composure while I zoned out, the first of our many songs was finishing. There was light applause from most but a loud cheer from Vinyl’s section, Was her name Pinkie? It would certainly fit.
---

Four hours later and the orchestra’s last song finished, everypony on stage rising from their seats to the gentle vibrations of an auditorium full of emotional ponies clapping against the floor. The last piece was a personal favourite and the first piece I ever played to Vinyl, so I asked if that could be our finale, and since I was first chair the conductor agreed. I’m pretty sure I even saw a tear in Vinyl’s beautiful magenta eyes.
---

I was so happy that my apartment was so close to the auditorium, and even happier that Vinyl offered to carry my cello in its case in her magic. My muscles were so sore from the repetitive motion but it was pleasant, letting me know I had earned the applause and adoration.

But all I needed right now was Vinyl, now lying on my bed still in her suit. I’d soon change that.

PreviousChapters Next