• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 911 Views, 11 Comments

A pegasus called Hope - Scarves



When the only human in Equestria just can't take it any more, he plans to end it all, but he's interrupted by the most unlikely of heroes.

  • ...
5
 11
 911

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

'Oh my gosh, that's high. Really, really high.' I leaned against the roof, sitting down and trying to work up the 'courage' to stand up.
But that was kind of expected when you're on top of a building. Looking out on the city of Manehatten I couldn't help but marvel at how ponies managed to build all of this. But enough about that, lets get back to smelly, bearded, 26 year old homeless human that's about to jump off a building.
Yep, me. One second I was in the single greatest archaeological find in history and then I touch something. A short word of advice for ancient temples, don't touch anything. Even if you accidentally find it in an underwater cave that you where scuba diving in, don't touch anything! Especially if it is glowing! Glowing things are big no-no. And then poof, here I was in ponyland. 3 months of xenophobia and hostile actions against me and I was ready to jump off of this really high building in a city that was just a terrible pun.

"Hey mister, what are you doing up here?"

"Gah!" I almost jumped then and there but I stopped myself by leaning back and grabbing onto the building.
Looking at where the voice came from I come face to face with a small chestnut brown pegasus colt hovering nearby. Old enough to look like he should have one of those 'cutie mark' things. He had a scruffy wind swept grey mane with a bright orange streak running through it.

"I said, what are you doing up here?"
All I could do was stare at this little guy, most ponies would ignore or actively avoid me but he just flies up without a care.

"I ah, well you see I..." I think for a second about talking to him about something else but find that nothing comes to mind, so I tell the truth."I'm going to jump."
He looks puzzled before asking "What? Like up and down? All the way up here? Why would you do that?"
Wow, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that he didn't get it.

"No. I mean that I'm going to jump off this building." A look of realization crosses his face as he finally gets it.

"And then you use magic to make some wings or is somepony going to catch you?"
Or not. I chuckle at his ideas. "No I'm just going to jump and fall."
He starts to look a little concerned now.

"But you would survive right? If nopony catches you and you can't use magic to make wings then what happens when you get near the ground?" He hovers just a little nearer.

"I'll die." I reply vacantly.

"What?! But, but, why?" He flies up close to my face now. "Why would you that? No one should have to die."
It almost broke my heart but I had reached a point where I didn't care about what I said.

"I want to die."
He landed on the ledge in front of me and had the beginnings of tears in his eyes.

"Why?"
Now I was really thinking about taking that shortcut to the lobby but something was compelling me to finish this conversation.

"I don't want to live here."
He looked puzzled again.

"Manehatten isn't that bad. And besides, can't you just move someplace else?"
I almost laughed at that one. "I meant on this planet. You see, I'm really an alien."
The little kids eyes bugged out as his jaw dropped. "No way." he whispered.

"Yeah, one second I'm on my world and the next I'm in the middle of some green field with this city in the distance. I was scared out of my mind when I saw ponies running away from me when I entered the city. So I couldn't ask for help because no pony would listen and with no way to see my family again or my home or even my pet lizard, Smaug, I decided that I would rather die than live in a place where I'm just ignored or treated like dirt."
The pegasus was in tears now, not all out crying but tears were definitely flowing freely. He sat there for a second before surprising me with a hug.

"Those jerks. Nopony should treat anyone like that. We are all taught to love and tolerate every creature that walks or flies on Equis."
I was absolutely speechless. Why did this colt care so much about some alien creature he just met?
Now it was my turn to ask why with the beginnings of tears in my eyes.

"Just because a creature is different or funny looking doesn't mean they should be treated differently. Everyone deserves to be given a chance. But you weren't given one so it's up to me!"
I was taken aback by his statement.

"What do you mean?"
He released me from his hug and flew up to meet my eyes and with a dead serious look in his eyes said, "You are going to live with me."

"And where do you live?"
He points to a building a few blocks away that was made out of clouds on the top half but solid building for the bottom half.

"In the clouds over there." He said with a smile.
I let a small smile slip at his youthful optimism.

"I can't walk on clouds, alien remember."

"Oh, right."
I sit down on the edge and stare at the now setting sun and sigh.

"Please don't."
I look down and see the colt sitting next to me, looking up with tears in his eyes.

"Look, I know it's sad that ponies treated you that way. Sometimes I get bullied for being a blank flank but I don't care. As long as I can make somepony happy than I have a reason to get up every morning. But please, don't die, it was sad when my daddy died and I'll be just as sad if you die."
He nuzzled under one arm and put his head in my lap and cried. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't jump now even if I had been treated poorly in the past. This little pegasus had shown me just how wrong it was if even just one person cared.

"You're right."
He paused for a moment then brought his head up to look at me.

"I shouldn't let those jerks win. I'm going to make a living here and earn some money to help find a way home. I going to wake every day with a purpose and that's why I'll never try and do this again!"
As I finished he lept up and hugged me and I hugged him back.

"Thank you so much for changing my mind." I cried as we hugged. The moment lasted a little longer before he let go and looked at the setting sun.

"Oh Celestia! Mom was expecting me back home ages ago! Sorry but I have to go home now!"
Now I really smiled at that.

"You go home, I have to start finding my own now."
He smiled too and began to fly off to the building he had pointed at a few minutes ago.

"By the way, the name's Hopeful Skies." Cried back as he flew off.

"And I'm Jason!" I yelled as he got further away. Waving goodbye a final time before flying off into the distance I felt happy for the first time since ariving here.
It was time for me to start a new life.

Author's Note:

Please leave a comment to let me know what you think.
A thanks goes out to my pre-reading editor JumpKick. Thanks for the time and effort you took to help me!

Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 11 )

5215273 I didn't plan on writing any more on this particular one but since you bought it up, what sort of direction does 'more' mean? More ponies? More human? Or just more story? Or did you have any particular ideas? Speak to me!

5216167 I was thinking more story, like how he got a job, he hangs out with the little pegasis, make's a lot of friends, things like that.

5216324 In all honesty, this was just an idea I had after reading a failed suicide story and I just wanted a happier one. (As happy as the suicide topic can be anyway) I don't have any plans to write more. It took me a couple of months get this much out. Part lazy part anime and part procrastination. All the same thing really. I did plan on writing a bit of an epilogue. Months later he over hears a pony talking about how her son got his cutie mark and he hears the colts name pop up and then he hugs her or something like that but I have yet to write down any of it.

5216408 Well, it's your choice, so you do what you want to! I'll still read it.

5216408 And you didn't tell me! :fluttercry: But I thought I was a good pre-reading editor...<sad Faces>

5220991 There there now, you are a great pre-reading editor. I did mention I was going to but I never gave you any details because you didn't ask. But from now on I will try and be a little more open with my ideas. You do a great job editing by the way!

5221501 Awwww, Stop it!! Thank you! :twilightsmile:

You should write more chapters. I loved the story.

5232710 I really don't know where it would go from there honestly. It was just a one shot. But seeing as you are the second person to suggest it I am considering it. I just don't have any idea of what to write about. Anyway, thanks for reading this story!

5233438 It was a good story. Maybe you could just write it from the beginning. Or if not possibly just continue from the end.
As in him being led by the colt to his home etc.

Login or register to comment